International Van Lines Logo

International Van Lines

9.0

LAST UPDATED: September 16th, 2021

International Van Lines was founded in 2000 primarily as an international and long distance moving business. After just 4 years providing moving services it began offering full-service, long-distance domestic moving services.

Today, with 19+ years of experience, it is recognized as one of the top moving companies in the nation and directly employs more than 100 people. International Van Lines partners with United Van Lines to offer a moving network comprised of more than 3,200 agents, both domestic and foreign. The company services over 180 countries and is licensed/credentialed by the following groups:

• U.S. Department of Transportation

• International moving
  • Local moving
  • Full packing
  • Unpacking
  • Door to door, door to port, or port to port service
  • Ocean freight or air freight moving
  • Full container or less than container load (LCL) moving
  • Shipment tracking
  • Vehicle transport
  • Piano moving
  • Furniture disassembly and assembly

As one of the largest private moving companies, International Van Lines handles an average of 10,000 moves per year and 85 percent of the moves it performs are long-distance domestic moves; the rest are international and local.

While charges for local moves depend on the number of workers, truck use, scale of the move, and an hourly rate, longer-distance moves will depend on the weight or volume and several other factors.

Like many professional moving companies, International Van Lines requires a 25 percent deposit be paid before scheduling a moving date. The balance is paid in two parts. The first half is paid at pickup, and the second half when your items have arrived at your final destination. Cross country moves take from 2–3 weeks from pickup to delivery. While this company is the picture of professionalism working to get your belongings delivered in a timely manner, delivery dates and times aren’t guaranteed.

As part of the packing services that are offered, customers can purchase moving boxes and other packing materials online. Packing supplies are made into kits for a certain number of rooms or the room or type of household goods you need to pack and free shipping is available on orders placed before 4 p.m. eastern.

Pros, cons, and International Van Lines reviews from customers are listed below.

The Good

• Local and Long-Distance Moving
  • International Moving
  • Easy Moving Quotes
  • Customer Satisfaction
  • Auto Transport Service
  • Standard Pricing Includes Several Services
  • Cancellation Policy
  • Storage in Transit

Local and Long-Distance Moving

International Van Lines provides long distance and domestic local moving options across the United states though it specialized in international and long distance moving. A free moving estimate can be obtained online to help you plan your move. Features of International Van Lines' long distance and domestic moving services include:

• Packing
  • Storage
  • Crating
  • Other specialty services

International Moving

International moves don't just require more work, but much more planning. To ensure that all of the details of your move are taken care of, International Van Lines has over 3,000 partners globally to provide a custom moving solution just for you. The following options are offered as part of International Van Lines' international relocation services:

• Ocean Freight — If you are looking to save money when moving overseas, ocean freight is the cheapest option.
  • Air Freight — This service is commonly used when shipping household goods. If you are only shipping a couple of boxes, or if you are on a time crunch, air freight is the best option for you.
  • Auto Transport — If you are. planning to ship other items with your car, you can have your car packed into a closed container with blocks and braces. If you are just shipping your car, you can drive your car to the port and have it loaded onto a ship. Unfortunately the car will be exposed to the elements if this is the case, so it is not ideal for high-end vehicles.

Easy Moving Quotes

Sometimes getting a quote for moving and relocation services can take a bit of time over the phone. You may even need to provide an itemized list of every piece of furniture to just get a ballpark price estimate.

International Van Lines’ quotes are easy and efficient. An artificial intelligence tool lets you record a quick walkthrough of your home on your phone. Then, the software scans and itemizes your inventory to provide a more accurate quote.

Customer Satisfaction

Reviews of International Van Lines praise all aspects of its customer service experience. Sales representatives and relocation coordinator staff are friendly and give helpful information from start to finish. One review said, "They went above my expectations in every aspect of the move."

All movers are background checked, trained, and certified. Moving crews that come to load and unload are professional, efficient, and hardworking. Very few customers experience broken pieces of furniture or delays.

However, if consumers do have an issue, they are assigned an account representative to help through the whole moving process.

Additionally, 24/7 customer support is available via phone, email, and live chat through the company’s website.

Auto Transport Service

This company offers an auto transport service if you are taking vehicles with you during a relocation. (See international moving)

Standard Pricing Includes Several Services

A standard long-distance move from International Van Lines includes several services, some of which aren’t covered in the basic price by other relocation services. These include the following:

• Disassembly and reassembly of basic furniture (complicated furniture available as a paid add-on)
  • Loading and unloading
  • Use of pads and blankets to protect your furniture
  • First flight of stairs (7 steps) free
  • Tolls, mileage, fuel, and taxes included
  • Liability coverage up to $10,000
  • Other services (like additional packing protection, piano handling, more stairs, etc.) are available at an additional price.

While most homeowners insurance covers a long-distance move, International Van Lines offers to cover limited liability at $0.60 per pound per item or piece of furniture. This doesn’t cover cash, jewelry, fine art, or particle board items.

Cancellation Policy

International Van Lines has a 100 percent deposit refund for notice up to 48 hours before your moving day pickup.
If you need to change your moving date, there is no fee.

Storage In Transit

As a full-service moving company, not only does International Van Lines have packing and moving handled, it can also provide storage. If you need storage services during a move, International Van Lines offers both long term and short term options at temperature controlled storage facilities.

Short term moving storage in transit (stored at a destination warehouse) depends on the size of the load, requires re-delivery, and in-out fees. $0.50 per cubic foot per month. Long-term storage is done at the origin and then shipped.

The different flexible options that International Van Lines offers make for extremely excellent service and great moving reviews.

The Bad

• Minimum Size Requirements
  • Average Pricing
  • Lack of Availability in Peak Season
  • Balance Payment
  • Third Parties

Minimum Size Requirements

The minimum size requirement to use International Van Lines is 200 cubic feet or 1,400 pounds of furniture.

Average Pricing

Due to its quality work, International Van Lines does not offer super cheap pricing which has spurred consumer complaints. Several of our international Van Lines reviews mention corporate relocation, so this service may be geared towards business owners with higher budgets.

Pricing depends on the distance of your move and the quantity of furniture and/or belongings you need to be packed or moved. You can schedule a free price quote through the company’s website, internationalvanlines.com, contact customer service directly, and/or pick a callback time.

International Van Lines will try to match the price offered by a competing moving service, as long as the service and company level are comparable.

There are a few additional charges that shoppers should be aware of:

• Long carry (over 75 feet) — $75 per 75 feet
  • Elevator fee — $75 per stop
  • Stairs (over 7 steps) — $75 per flight. No charge of stairs inside a single family home
  • Shuttle service if an 18-wheel trailer can’t be used at the destination — $1 per cubic foot, a minimum cost of $350, if needed
  • Bulky items that can’t be stacked — $150
  • Piano fees — $150-$350+, depending on size
  • Motorcycle handling — $350
  • Storage — $0.50 per cubic foot per month

Additional packaging materials will be charged if your original work estimate didn’t include full packing charges

Lack of Availability in Peak Season

Many moving companies, including International Van Lines, get booked up during the peak moving season. March through September is considered peak season for the moving industry. Consider booking the team early to ensure availability. For out-of-state moves, a minimum of two weeks notice is recommended during the off-season and four weeks scheduling notice is recommended for the peak summer months.

Balance Payment

Customers who hire International Van Lines have to pay a 25 percent deposit. This payment can be made with cash, credit card, check, or money order. However, the balance (half paid upon pickup and half upon delivery) can’t be paid with a credit card. You have to pay with a check, cash, or money order.

Third Parties

For the most part, the International Van Lines team can get your stuff moved, no matter your location or move destination. However, customers should know that third party moving and storage companies are hired in the following locations: Montana, Oregon, Utah, and Washington.

The Bottom Line

Though International Van Lines started out as international and long distance movers, we recommend this company for local and interstate small moves, as well as international long-distance moves. Consumer reviews have rated International Van Lines to be one of the best relocation companies if you are worried about the product or service being different than advertised.

As a widely trusted moving company, International Van Lines should be considered for your upcoming move. Many moving and storage companies have a poor reputation due to extra fees, damage, or delays. International Van Lines maintains its positive reputation as it consistently pleases its customers. It would be a great option for a business owner, families, couples, singles, etc.

Have you moved or relocated with International Van Lines? Let us know about your experience with these professional movers in a quick review below.

Call our recommended rep over at International Van Lines below.

L Powers Tallahassee, FL

I was quoted one price based on the amount and size of my items and then charged a big increase when the movers showed up. And these movers were not the movers I hired. This business contracted with another company to do our move and we had no idea this would happen - and now is claiming they are not responsible for the increased price or damage to our furniture because of this. Customer service is only on the front end of the move. We have tried every method possible to get in touch with them on the day of the move to straighten out this increase in price and there was zero response. And they knew they had us, we had to be out of our home and could not hire a new mover at that point - very sneaky and untruthful. I tried for weeks to contact them by email and phone and only heard from them after I filed a complaint with the BBB and they responded that they are only the broker and we have to take up our complaint with the mover - who by the way was very unprofessional and it was a very stressful moving situation. I did not hire that mover and would never hire them. Therefore, I do not agree that I have to take it up with them. I now see lots of complaints and bad reviews about them and all similar to what happen to us. I wish I checked there before using them and now can only do my part to help warn others from this stressful situation. The arrogance and poor business practice of this company is unbelievable, - shows how they no longer care because they have my money now and it is a run around to try and get help. I feel totally scammed and unable to do anything about it. Overall BEWARE, I would not recommend this company. Lack of integrity in business practice.

Nicolas Bergeron Charlotte, NC

International Van Line review I should have read the reviews. As most people have written so far, the process to schedule the move and evaluate the initial cost worked seamlessly: the videos of all rooms can be made quickly and upload in no time. But the problems started when the movers arrived. First four (4) movers were supposed to show up. Only the driver was there. He went through the house and evaluated what we had as if he had not seen the videos or the list of all our items. He told us it could be a little more expensive at the end because people in the office did not have his experience. We understood and signed the document, feeling we had no choice – it was not explained to us before the truck arrived and we were ready to leave our home. Then they started to pack our belongings… I should have paid attention to this part; I did not because I paid for it and assumed they would do a good job. Because they were only 2 people, it took two days to pack and load the truck (the second day two more people showed up at different time). Once the truck was packed they charged almost 30% more than what was quoted. We felt trapped and robbed, without realistic recourse. After getting our money, they still ask for tips.. We had to clean the whole house for food bags and boxes, empty bottles, empty rolls of tapes, broken boxes… it took about 40 minutes to clean what other companies have done after finishing their work. Before leaving, the driver told us that since it was a small move, it should arrived in 4 to 5 days. Two weeks and a half later, after multiple emails and unanswered calls, we received a text that the truck would arrive at 6 PM! We pushed for the next day – after back and fro, they finally agreed. The local movers were nice but completely clueless because half of the boxes were unidentified or scribbled in Russian. My wife had to stay by the door, opening each box, and directed the best that she could where they were going because nothing was packed logically. For example, my computer monitor was in a large closet type box with cloths, toys, some folding tables and chairs; large boxes – again meant for clothes- have been filled with books. They arrived at 10 am and finished at 9:40 PM. Around 10 to 15 % of our items have been damage, either by their incompetence in packing, by loading the truck, or while waiting in the staging area (which they told us multiple times while we signed up for their service our move would not stay in the staging area); many boxes have a been stained by a weird black liquid (we did not pack any liquid) or left in the rain somewhere, chairs stained, bed frame broken, frames bent, etc, etc. We took pictures, sent emails and calls to this unprofessional company, and so far nothing. After death in the family, moving is supposedly the second most stressful time in a family’s life. International Van Line made EVERY aspect of the move worst than it could be. Please, please, avoid them.

Harold Lilly Denver, CO

Looks like I am just another in a long line of customers who had a horrible customer experience from International Van Lines. As many have said below, what do their ratings and rankings matter if they subcontract your move out to an unqualified, unethical and dishonest other moving company. As was the case for me when IVL engaged MoveR Van Lines and Mike and Jade in Las Vegas. My furniture arrived with no notice, the driver didn't even have my name or phone number, was in an 18 wheel truck that could not access my street. I had to quickly arrange to move things into storage, then pay another mover to move things into my new home. Only to find every single piece of furniture except two was badly damaged. And only realized later $3,000 dollars worth of snowboarding equipment was not delivered or stolen. IVL only quoted from the contract instead taking any responsibility for the movers they hired to do the job. After filing several complaints with BBB and DOT, I received a call from Mike from MoveR Van Lines saying he wished to hear my story, said he believed me, and would work to make right and compensate me. I agreed to not file a police report of possible theft. Then never heard from Mike again and when attempting to reach him Jade in the office took my name but said she didn't need to take my number. I strongly suggest not hiring either International Van Lines or MoveR Van Lines for your move. There should be more accountability for companies running such shady companies who dupe consumers and provide a horrible, damaging customer experience.

JoeyJoeJoe Shabadoo Dachau, BY

IVL contracted with a local company, YRC to pick up my packages as I was moving to Europe. I had to leave my apartment on a Sunday, and the move was scheduled Friday. When Friday rolls around, the shipper pushes the pickup window multiple times. On my final call to dispatch, it turns out the driver marked the pickup as complete and left for the day. YRC apparently does not do business over the weekend, dispatch had left, so I was left with a bunch of boxes that had to be moved by Sunday, but couldn't be moved until Monday. I immediately rescheduled for Monday. When I attempted to call the rep handling my account, I called his office and personal line, and I also called IVLs customer service line. I received no answer, nor return call, in spite of leaving messages about my plight. On Monday, YRC once again pushed the date to Tuesday, when they finally picked it up 4 full days late. I took this to IVL and requested some compensation. They denied any responsibility, since all they had done was scheduled it - how could they have done anything wrong?! Their policy is not to provide any compensation for unforeseen delays. Just the foreseen delays, I guess. I went back and forth about this with them, until they strong armed me, saying that I could either pay, or pick up or have some other shipper pick up my stuff from its locations 1000 miles away from its original location, and 10000 miles away from me. So, since I paid full price for a discount rate service, I bring this to you - If you need to move internationally, look elsewhere.

Jason Halberstadt Orlando, FL

Has anybody else noticed that almost all of the reviews are uncannily similar? About the same word count. Replace destination A for destination B. Reorganize the sentences. Use "this company" because they actually forget which company they are writing about. Google IVL reviews and see the work of the same fake review writers on other sites with the same fingerprints. They should fire the people that they hired to write all their fake reviews for lack of creativity and for making them so obviously fake. Truth is, I didn't do due diligence, and also fell for some fake reviews about IVL on other sites and made the mistake of contacting them. They quoted me $9270 and I have paid over $20,000 so far, I never have received my car after 4 months because they failed to file basic importation documents at the very beginning. Now I have to ship my car back to the US. They have not accepted one ounce of responsibility or demonstrated one ounce of good faith in trying to recover our property.

LisaA Norman, OK

WORST HIRING DECISION WE EVER MADE! Fooled by all the good (fake?) reviews, and failing to delve into all the negative ones that are all over the Internet, we hired International Van Lines to move us across the country. Our domestic long-distance move with International Van Lines was supposed to involve one truck and five days to pack and drive directly to our new home. Instead, it ended up taking 31 days, 7 to 8 truck loads (none of which were owned or operated by IVL or its employees), stops at numerous other locations, and cost almost twice the original estimate (when you add in the three-week forced hotel stay while our goods were held hostage in an undisclosed storage facility). It was a nightmare from start to finish. Our belongings were three times held hostage while demands for more money (sometimes cash only) were made. Our things were damaged, and some are missing, including some expensive artwork. Their packing was negligent and resulted in many damaged or destroyed items. There was no inventory control--we even ended up with someone else's belongings, and nothing was done about that, even though IVL was informed. All the promises and guarantees made by IVL when we hired them were broken. Communication was horrible--inefficient, rude, and unprofessional--throughout. Before the nightmare was even over, they first offered us money to be quiet, then threatened to sue us if we spoke out about our experiences (we agreed to nothing!). Such behavior certainly explains their good online reviews. By the way, we have all this in writing. I've never experienced such deceptive and/or incompetent business practices in my life. We have published the full story of what happened to us, as well as many strikingly similar experiences of other victims of this company, on our information site, which bears the name of this company (.info). IVL has been doing their best to have our reviews removed from all sites so that you can't know what happened to us and so that only positive reviews are published. It is a perfect example of how they do business. We will keep posting, because you have a right to know the truth about this company! Check our website and the Florida BBB and Angie's List for honest reviews. Also read the negative reviews on Yelp. The truth is out there.

Lauren M San Diego, CA

I chose this company because they were number 1 on bestcompanys.com. BIG MISTAKE. They subcontracted my work out to another company, MoveOn Moving, who destroyed my mattress and won't even pay to replace the mattress they destroyed. Went through their claims dept. It was a JOKE. Protect yourself and go with a company that does not subcontract work to other companies. Now, IVL, if YOU want to make this right by replacing my damaged mattress, please contact me. I'd be happy to discuss.