PNC Logo

5.7

LAST UPDATED: November 10th, 2021

Founded in 1852 in Pennsylvania, PNC has since grown to have $345.2 billion in assets and is the fifth-largest bank in the United States in terms of number of branches.

View Best Home Loans Companies

The Good

• Variety of Loans
  • Reasonable Closing Costs
  • Mobile App
  • Customer Communication

Variety of Loans

PNC offers a variety of loans, including conventional home loans, fixed rate mortgages, adjustable rate mortgages, and jumbo loans. The company also offers a combination home loan which allows borrowers to put down 10.1 percent of the purchase price (rather than the traditional 20 percent) and finance the remaining 9.9 percent with a home equity line of credit.

Reasonable Closing Costs

PNC charges closing costs of 3 to 5 percent of the total purchase price, which is fairly average when compared to closing costs charged by other lenders in the industry.

Mobile App

PNC provides its customers with a mobile app, which is highly rated for both iOS and Android.

Customer Communication

Throughout the home loan process, PNC provides its borrowers with consistent communication and updates to ensure that the customer is kept up to date on what is happening with their mortgage.

The Bad

• Undisclosed Interest Rate
  • Limited Credit Score Information

Undisclosed Interest Rate

PNC has not disclosed mortgage interest rates on its corporate website. Consumers who would like to find out more must contact the company for further information.

Limited Credit Score Information

PNC has not listed the minimum credit score that it requires an individual to have in order to obtain a home loan, making it difficult for potential borrowers to have an idea of whether or not they have a high chance of qualifying.

The Bottom Line

PNC offers a variety of loans, reasonable closing costs, a highly-rated mobile app, and consistent customer communication. However, the company has not disclosed interest rates or minimum credit score information on its website.

View Best Home Loans Companies

4.0

Corryn Moore Newport News, VA

PNC has been a wonderful mortgage company for the past 13 years. They even found a way for us to refinance with no extra fees or checks. I appreciate their helpful and kind customer service reps and they are helful when you need assistance .

Michael Kline Phoenix, AZ

Very comfortable with my loan. Treated very fairly. Great Customer service, very nice Tellers at my bank!

Cathy T Fayetteville, NC

3 out of 10 contacts of PNC were wonderful! That is who is earning PNC a star. Branch Mgr Toby, CSR-Shelly, and the absolute best-Khalia ( the only Rep that told me about a Hardship Application) ! Regretfully, CSR Leanna, Sr. Mtg. Loan Originator Joseph R. provided horrible service. Leanna went out of her way to preventing me from receiving a time sensitive form I needed to process a mtg. Pymt while going through a hardship. Joseph R. processed est. Refinance worksheets that ignored all the terms for a Streamline refinance which would of overcharged me thousands on my mortgage. The absolute worse was seeking help from Jane H.-Asst. V. P. , She sent a 2 line email stating she was happy to help- 14 days later she responds with no resolutions, no suggestions, never even reviewed my account. She did share that she had 60 days to reply to me and CFPB, and she just got back from Vacation. The scary, stressful hardship I was trying to navigate through and get help from a company I paid over 17 years -proudly responded with I went on Vacation and I will take 2 months before I bother trying to help you! The first and only time I reached out to this bank about saving my largest investment, while dealing with a Covid related hardship- the Asst. VP, went on vacation and over a month, I still have not received any guidance or resolutions. from PNC. The lack of empathy and bold disregard explains a lot why poor service happens 7 out of 10 times. My sincerest gratitude for the 3 positive ( Toby, Khalia, and Shelly) employees that offered assistance!

Wanda Upper Marlboro, MD

PNC failed to provide all the information needed for me to get through a financial crises resulting in getting behind on my mortgage payments. Representatives were not sensitive to my dilemma and most were on the verge of rude. Instead of working with me to save my home, they seemed to be determined to foreclose on the property. I filed Chapter 13 Bankruptcy in order to pay all the back payments and keep my home. This was very disappointing because I have been with PNC for many many years! I am 3 years of a 5 year payoff plan. A few days ago U received a copy of the documents ONC sent to the courts requesting to keep the foreclose docket open until after the bankruptcy. I have never heard of such!!

Dee Farquharson Washington, DC

They made the application process easy and less intimidating. They were able to list our exactly what I qualified for and how I could improve my score for a higher loan amount. Even after i cleaned up some loose ends on my credit, it was at that point I was told my student loans would affect my amount (after I was already issued a loan amount BEFORE cleaning up my credit). The amount given was reduced by about 40% ;;it was hard to work with in the DC area.

Mary Goodson Atlanta, GA

They dont seem to care much about security. I have been getting the email receipts for another mortgage payment, complete with all their banking information for over a year. I have tried, in vain and with much discord from PNC, to resolve this. I keep getting transferred around and no one will take responsibility for this error nor do anything to resolve it. I truly feel sorry for the person they are screwing over and made every effort to find them also but to no avail. I would NEVER trust this institution with my personal data!

JAMES FLETCHER Woodbridge, VA

I have been extremely pleased with PNC. They do an excellent job following up on customer request and providing great service.

Kathleen Sloan

Excellent. They took good care of me. I borrowed from them twice including under the name of Trustcorp Mortgage

Brenda McLaren

I have had numerous mortgage loans with PNC. They are easy to work with, friendly, and professional.

Heather Walker Saratoga Springs, UT

The website is a little clunky but gives us all the information we need to keep tabs on our mortgage. Setting up auto payments can be tricky if too close to the payment date but other than that our experience has been good.

Marlene A Thomas Ypsilanti, MI

They gave me a great low interest rate, that I can work with.

Tracy Wilson

They're very easy to work with and fair to work with as well

Stan & Cami Lero Akron, OH

We are a current customer of PNC for our family owned business. When refinancing our home their rates were higher than most others.

Leonard R Garner Jr

I did a refi with them and have been very happy with them.

Evelyn

They are very easy to work with

Anonymous Westminster, MD

Tends to see me as a person not an object

Kevin

great customer service, quick processing, and good rates