ViSalus Sciences is a health and wellness multi-level marketing company based out of Los Angeles, California. The international company also has offices located in Troy, Michigan. ViSalus sells a variety of nutrition and weight management products and energy drinks throughout the USA, Canada, and the UK.

ViSalus has around 76,000 independent distributors in its network. ViSalus was started by Nick Sarnicola and Blake Mallen. The company generates $351 million in global revenue annually.

View Best Multi-Level Marketing Companies

#1 Forever Living chevron_right
4.8
#2 Shaklee chevron_right
4.9
#3 doTERRA chevron_right

The Good

• Comeback
  • Challenges
  • Enhanced Program
  • Community Hub

Comeback

ViSalus has made a comeback in the industry, bouncing back from a recession in 2008 that almost bankrupted the health and wellness company.

Blyth, Inc. acquired ViSalus during that time in a corporate takeover that was completed officially in 2011. ViSalus went from $6 million debt to generating over $415 million in global revenue monthly. ViSalus reported high growth rates in 2012, making it one of the fastest growing companies that year.

Over the next few years, ViSalus expanded its operations globally to the United Kingdom, Germany, and Austria.

Challenges

ViSalus focuses on health and nutritional products mainly in the weight loss and weight management category. The company promotes its products through a Body by Vi Challenge program.

The challenge allows individuals to set and achieve personal weight loss and physical fitness goals over the course of a 90-day timeframe. The company provides challenge groups for its customers to learn about ViSalus products and connect with each other socially.

Enhanced Program

ViSalus also has enhanced its program with a new points system with more rewards and incentives. Customers can earn free products and kits with the new point system.

So far, ViSalus has given away over $100 million in free Challenge Kits to its customer base. The company also has a program that helps kids achieve a healthy lifestyle.

In the PROJECT 10 program, every 10 pounds a customer loses gives one child enrolled in the program 90 days worth of nutritional meals, snacks, and beverages.

Community Hub

ViSalus also has a new vibrant online place for its members called the Vi Life Community Hub. This is where individuals can find company news, current promotions, and upcoming events.

There are also stories from people who took the 90-day challenge and educational content regarding a physically fit lifestyle. The Hub can be used as a default browser page so ViSalus fans can stay up-to-date on the latest news and trainings.

The Bad

• Legal Issues
  • Signup Cost
  • Ingredients
  • Home Party Business Model

Legal Issues

In 2013 the founders, Nick Sarnicola and Blake Mallen, were charged in the United States Federal Court with committing violations concerning the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act. They were also accused of engaging third party persons to commit criminal acts and extortion.

They were also accused of violations against Fred Ninow and Ken Dunn of Ocean Avenue. Ocean Avenue is a direct selling nutrition company and competitor of ViSalus.

Ocean Avenue accused ViSalus in the lawsuit of hiring a private investigator who hired computer experts. Allegedly, these experts hacked into the files of former ViSalus distributors who became employees for Ocean Avenue. ViSalus denied any wrongdoing.

High Signup Cost

The signup costs can be a bit pricey. New signees are required to purchase a starter kit in order to join the ViSalus opportunity.

The prices for these kits range from $79 -$999. The starter kit selected is placed on autoship, and new independent distributors can expect to pay that amount monthly to keep up their subscription with the health and wellness company.

Ingredients

The company's products contain preservatives and some artificial ingredients. While some preservatives are necessary for packaged products, the ingredients are not as healthy as the company claims their products to be. Some products include digestive resistant maltodextrin, artificial flavor, and sucralose among others.

Certain ingredients actually fight against weight loss ultimately. The products are definitely not designed for those interested in vegan or organic nutritional supplements.

Home Party Business Model

The company relies heavily on a home party business model. Individuals who are not highly social may find the ViSalus business opportunity uncomfortable or a bit too time-consuming in nature.

If you do not have a large social network or are not highly skilled in sales and marketing techniques, you may find yourself struggling to find success in your new business venture.

The Bottom Line

Overall, ViSalus Sciences does appear to be a legitimate business opportunity for a hard-working individual interested in the health and wellness industry. The company has many positive reviews from previous customers and employees, with the majority willing to recommend ViSalus to a friend and approving of the company's CEO.

Visalus provides plenty of educational content information and training to help people lose and manage their weight and live healthy lifestyles. The company generates over $300 million annually and supports a number of charitable causes. However, the starter kits can be a bit pricey per month on a required autoship option.

Those individuals and families on limited financial budgets might want to seek a business opportunity elsewhere in the health and wellness industry that would be better suited to their situation.

View Best Multi-Level Marketing Companies

4.0

Jenna Preskitt
June 27th, 2017

I finally was able to talk to a person after months of not being able to get in touch with anyone DURING business hours on dozens of failed attempts. I literally tried to get in contact with someone every day at multiple times a day. It got so frustrating that i just didn't know what else to do or who to contact. I even tried to email them too. One day i heard a voice and couldn't believe my ears! The only response when I called previously was an automated message that explained their office hours and that the call center was closed. I rate this the absolute worst of the worst online/autoship shopping experiences I've ever had. Even if the products are good--- I'll buy from a company who has better integrity and better customer service every time. I only give a 2 because the vanilla shake was actually good and tasted like cake batter. Oh well.

Bryant Coulter
September 21st, 2016 Chicago, IL

Amazing company! I was introduced by a friend and I lost 40 lbs to date on Vi. My wife who and plateaued in her work outs, also lost over 45 lbs. The products are amazing. The delivery is very timely, with a great customer service team. I was so pleased after my 90 day transformation. I became a promoter! We are both maintaining our good health and helping others do the same by simply sharing what we are doing.

Jennifer King
November 9th, 2015 Tallahassee, FL

It took me a while to agree to try this product through a friend, but was very glad when I did. My husband & I both lost 30+ lbs over 90 days, the taste of the shake is better than any others we've tried and within 2 weeks we felt better than we'd had in a long time. My favorite aspect is that it was created to be safe for diabetics and heart patients- those that need to maintain healthy weights the most! I eventually began promoting the product as well since so many friends started on it after seeing my success.This company has so many bonuses and aspects for earning that it is very difficult to NOT earn money! The company is now a multi-billion $ company and available in many more countries.

Deborah Malone
September 29th, 2015 Pompano Beach, FL

After trying every diet, I have found this one to be the easiest to manage, stick with, and over all get excited about. After almost 2 years of my cousin pleading with me to try it I did since April of 2015 until Sept 2015 I am down 44 lbs. I love it so much I have shared it with others and decided to become a promoter.

Steve