Founded in 2004 and headquartered in San Bruno, California, Stella and Dot is a direct sales company that specializes in boutique jewelry and fashion accessories. Stella and Dot, whose mission is "to give every woman the means to style their own life," has been praised by The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, and The Today Show for its social shopping model. The company's jewelry has been featured in Lucky Magazine, In Style Magazine, and the television show Gossip Girl.

View Best Multi-Level Marketing Companies

#1 Forever Living chevron_right
4.8
#2 Shaklee chevron_right
4.9
#3 doTERRA chevron_right

The Good

• DSA member
  • Commissions and discounts
  • Ability to earn free jewelry
  • New product

DSA Member

Stella and Dot is an upstanding member of the Direct Selling Association and abides by its strict code of ethics.

Commissions and Discounts

The company pays out earned commissions to its distributors on a weekly basis via a Stella and Dot debit card. Independent distributors have the ability to earn between 25 and 35 percent commissions on personal product sales and up to 18 percent commissions on team member sales. Distributors also receive a 25 percent discount on product purchases and $5.95 flat rate shipping with free returns.

Ability to Earn Free Jewelry

Distributors and hosts have the opportunity to receive free accessories. They also have the potential to earn between $250 and $500 in product credits and 50 percent off up to four items on party sales volumes totaling $1,000 to $2,000. However, these parties must include at least four unique customer orders. Products are relatively affordably priced, with most pieces costing less than $50.

New Product

Stella and Dot recently introduced a new anti-aging skin care product line called Ever. These heavily researched, clinical-grade products range from $26 to $88 and feature a proprietary molecular complex that works as both an anti-inflammatory and an antioxidant. The complex is designed to treat a number of common skin afflictions, including redness, dehydration, dullness, and fines lines.

The Bad

• Relatively high upfront costs
  • Required training
  • Industry concerns
  • Inventory pre-purchases

Relatively High Upfront Costs

The upfront cost to join Stella and Dot as an independent distributor is relatively high, especially when compared to upfront costs of similar multi-level marketing companies. Stella and Dot's starter kits range from $199 to $699. There is also a $59 annual renewal fee. Stylists typically earn between $160 and $400 each month, which is not considered to be a substantial enough income for a typical person to live on exclusively.

Required Training

Stella and Dot requires its distributors to participate in a series of weekly training calls for 60 days. Many individuals reported being uncomfortable with these sales calls because they did not like having to cold-call strangers. However, these training calls are a good opportunity to learn and develop more advanced sales and marketing techniques, which are key skills to have when it comes to achieving success in the multi-level marketing industry.

Industry Concerns

Some individuals are skeptical about joining the jewelry industry because they do not think it is a sustainable business in the current global economy. People generally tend to cut back on luxury item purchases during tough economic times. Since the cost to join Stella and Dot is so high initially, some consumers are concerned that they will not be able to recoup their business investment when many around them do not have the funds to buy these types of items.

Inventory Pre-Purchases

Stella and Dot states that its stylists are not required to carry inventory. However, it is impossible to host trunk shows without product samples, which means that stylists must pre-purchase inventory in order to host a show. Some distributors have admitted to going into debt in order to purchase products and grow their new business.

The Bottom Line

Stella and Dot is a direct sales company that features boutique-style jewelry and fashion accessories. The company has also recently introduced its own anti-aging skin care line. Stella and Dot's independent distributors have the opportunity to earn between 25 and 35 percent commissions on personal product sales, as well as up to 18 percent commissions on team member sales. However, the upfront cost to join Stella and Dot as an independent distributor is relatively high. Additionally, distributors are required to complete company training and and may need to pre-purchase inventory.

View Best Multi-Level Marketing Companies

1.2
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border

BobbieLou
January 19th, 2018 DETAILS

I wish I had searched for reviews before wasting my money. My d-i-l had a party and I bought a necklace that cost way over $100 (For costume jewelry! The only reason I let myself get sucked in was being nice to d-i-l), she bought me a necklace that was about $100 and a bracelet that was about $50. This is a ridiculous price for costume jewelry and when you see how it holds up you know you have been ripped off. The gold paint on the necklaces started wearing off right away. The silver paint on the inside of the bracelet wore off after a few wearings and some of the bangle beads fell off. I felt badly for my d-i-l and didn't say anything until 2 years later she brought up the jewelry and since it had been laying useless in my jewelry box I told her how shoddy it was and that I couldn't wear it after a few times. Then I learned or was reminded they only have a 1 year warranty (show how proud this company is of their product). She agreed to bring up the poor quality of these pieces to her representative but as I understand it, the rep doesn't care, the year warranty is up. What a waste.

d
August 7th, 2017 Federal Way, WA

absolutely * no * support or encouragement for anyone who joins. my sponsor after making many excuses why she could not come to few events then started to spam me. all the info on the website was just sent to me via text. I told her to stop. then she replies " I was trying to help you ! " never never again to even purchase. very cheap materials. better quality at walmart !

Jenna Izing
June 30th, 2017 Windber, PA

The necklace that I received is made of extremely cheap material. Most of it is plastic, with only a small part made of a cheap metal. I paid around $60 for this necklace that I wouldn't have even paid $10 for if I had seen it in person. I will be attempting to return it ASAP!

Angiee
April 10th, 2017

SO far so good. Great products and service,

rosangela vallejo
September 15th, 2016 Rockfall, CT

I was given a Locket for Christmas by my mother in law after i show her the picture, the locket came defective, it did not close, so I call Costumer Service to have it replace, they send me a new one, the new one came broke as well, with the same issue, at this point i did not want to have it anymore, they said that they would give me the credit to get something else when I think my mother in law should of got her money back, but of course they can do that, so i left it at that, i try to contact them to get something I like again from the webside and when i contact it costumer service they said i do not have any credit, so now I don't have anything, and lost around $100 my mother in law spend on me! horrible company, horrible costumer service, horrible quality control (because you think they would of check the second one they send me).

Dissatisfied Customer
April 21st, 2016 Kansas City, KS

I WILL NEVER ORDER FROM STELLA AND DOT AGAIN. Too expensive and HORRIBLE quality. BOTH necklaces I received broke. One within the first use, the other a month later. For the first necklace, the REPLACEMENT broke as well, on the first use AGAIN. It's a huge scam. These products might as well be sold at Walmart, given their poor quality.