Shaklee

Shaklee

Shaklee is a multi-level marketing company that started in 1956. The company focuses on over 200 nutritional and skin care products as well as home care items. Shaklee generates $844 million in global revenue per year. The company currently ranks #10 on the top 50 list of MLM companies for 2015 on the Direct Selling News website. The company invests over $250 million in product research to develop eco-friendly items for consumers.

Shaklee has created 2,000 millionaires. The company has also paid out over $6 billion dollars in commissions. The company performs 80,000 quality tests each year on the safety of their product lines.

Rank Chart Our Score User Score
#1 9.8 9.6 Read Review
#2 7.5 8.6 Read Review
#3 7.2 9.3 Read Review
#5 6.3 9.4 Current

The Good

• Membership Discounts
  • Environmentally Conscious
  • Support and Tools

The Shaklee Effect

This industry-leading company is extra proud of what it calls the Shaklee Effect. This is their company mission that helps people take small daily steps towards improving their lives and the lives of those around them. The company has been a strong leader in environmental stewardship and in supporting a variety of social causes. Their mission is to make the world a better place and to treat others with Golden Rule business ethics. Shaklee was the first company to be certified in offsetting completely carbon emissions in the environment, thereby resulting in a net zero impact environmentally. They also won another award for sustainable business practices. Their headquarters won an award for its green design.

Membership Discounts

Consumers do not have to purchase memberships. However, if they would like to receive a 15-25 percent discount on their purchases, they can choose to pay for a membership. The membership is a one time signup fee of $19.95. They receive no other bonuses. Independent Shaklee distributors do not have to rely heavily on recruiting in order to earn a substantial income. Ninety percent of the compensation is based on sales and not on recruitments.

Incomes

Shaklee is transparent about their yearly income earnings. This information can readily be found on the company website. Shaklee claims the average independent distributor earns approximately $8,000 monthly. Top level distributors generally earn $150,000-$200,000 yearly. The company has been in business for over 50 years, which gives them a stable foothold in the health and wellness industry.

Support and Tools

Shaklee provides multiple means of support for its independent distributors. Distributors have open access to the company's Shaklee University, which provides plenty of business training materials and modules. Distributors are provided with sponsors to guide them in building their new businesses. The company also hosts local and regional meetings and conference calls as well as corporate-sponsored training events.

The Bad

• Expensive Starter Packs
  • Issues With Former Researcher

Expensive Starter Packs

Independent distributors pay anywhere from $49.95 - $349, depending on which starter package is selected. There is a minimum automatic monthly shipping product purchase requirement of 100 Personal Volume in order for independent distributors to continue to remain active. This can be quite expensive for new distributors looking to build a sustainable long-term income that will pay their household bills.

Issues with Researcher

In 2008, a Harvard anti-aging researcher submitted his resignation letter to Shaklee and quit his paid position on the scientific advisory board. Professor David Sinclair was hired to help promote syrup that could purportedly extend life spans. However, he claimed that his name was misrepresented in digital media published from the Shaklee company in endorsing the product. The misrepresentations allegedly misused his name in ways that were not clearly part of the contract he agreed to. Shaklee denied any wrongdoing. A company spokesperson stated that all mentions of Mr. Sinclair's name in digital media and other advertisements were pre-approved by him. Some of the online digital media was audio from radio programs where Dr. Sinclair was interviewed regarding the new product. On the radio program Dr. Sinclair could be clearly heard making those types of statements.

The Bottom Line

Shaklee is a well-respected leader in the health and wellness industry. DirectSellingNews.com rates them #10 in the 50 multi-level marketing companies for 2015. The compensation plan rewards sales over recruitment efforts, which could be very beneficial to individuals who would prefer to sale. Success in any business is not dependent solely on the details of the opportunity itself. It comes from the amount of hard work and self-discipline you are willing to put in the venture you select to invest in. Research all opportunities and select the business that is right for your needs and lifestyle. Make sure you understand everything before you choose a company to work with.

17 Shaklee Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

June 9th, 2017 Fayetteville, NC

I am a professor and second generation multi-million dollar earner with Shaklee. I grew up with the products and the company. Highest integrity level in products and corporate procedure. Main benefit - vast clinical data that supports its products that result in extraordinary health. Most Supplement companies have 3-4 scientists. Shaklee has over 50 advance degrees scientists including a Noble Scientist Award winner in medicine on the Scientific Board. The main reviewer needs to do some Due Dalliance regarding Dr. Sinclair's claim regarding his product. After he parted ways with Shaklee he developed a synthetic version of the Resveratrol polyphenol blend Sirtuin1 -gene activators. (you called syrup) in his own lab and sold to Glaxo Smith Kline for 790 Million. Always two sides.

6 1

May 28th, 2017

Love them! Best company to work with, excellent training!

3 1

May 17th, 2017 Rio Rancho, NM

I have been a member of Shaklee for many years. There products are excellent and I have never been disappointed with the company. As a seller of Shaklee I have always found their customer service to be excellent. And there distributor options to be pretty awesome.

4 1

May 6th, 2017 Dallas, TX

excellent products. Enjoyed dusing them over the years

5 0

April 1st, 2017

I have used Shaklee for 8 years or so now. I LOVE their cleaning products. 6 years ago my son dropped his soother into the bath while I was cleaning it. I rinsed it off and gave it back to him. At that moment I realized if I used Lysol or any of those kind of cleaners, I would have never done that! Its all I have used for 8 years and I don't plan to change. Their customer service is also fantastic. I ordered a product that I really didn't like, I felt bad to call and tell them I was unsatisfied but I felt I spent a lot of money on something I wasn't happy with. They were SO good about it. In the end my husband used it and didn't mind it. It just wasn't my thing.

January 17th, 2017

The integrity of the company and the high quality of the products are why I choose shaklee! The science and research shaklee does to ensure product Safety is top notch and beyond what any other company does! They truly do care about the environment and their customers and it shows :)

December 28th, 2016 Madison, WI

Our average customer is with us for 17.5 years. So you really create longevity and security. I have been with the company for 37years

December 14th, 2016

I am a Shaklee Distributor and have been for 15 years. I am sorry Betsy, I do not know why Dusty did not call you back. That is not the Shaklee way. Betsy if you are still needing to order products friend me on Facebook and send me a message.

October 5th, 2016 Glenview, IL

I left a message 5 days ago saying I need to order a product. I'm not a distributor; I just want to order a particular product. No one has called me. Such poor customer we service. I left a message with Dusty someone and she never called back either. This is very bad business.

1 1

October 4th, 2016 Shelby, NC

outstanding customer and distributor support

4 0

September 11th, 2016 Camp Hill, PA

Fantastic in every category! I am a Director in the company but I have worked with other companies before and nothing compares to the philopsohy, products or plan that Shaklee has. And has has for over 60 years! I'm not surprised! But very thankful that I can search for "negative comments" and come up with nothing. That speaks for itself!

June 26th, 2016 Millburn, NJ

Very few companies come close to the quality of Shaklee products. The research and development, quality assurance testing of the ingredients and the products, and effectiveness testing keeps their products at least equal to any products on the market and very often better than all. Been using the vitamins and protein powder for over four decades now. At times, I have distributed to some friends. The many products I use, I swear by their effectiveness. I know all products work differently on everyone. I know the ways they work best on me and when I might need a bit more of something. It's same as if sometimes needing more rest, fluids, certain foods, etc. Havent had a cold in well over thirty years. Flu symptoms have gone in little more than a day. Maybe I've just been fortunate.

2 1

June 1st, 2016 Oregon City, OR

The high quality of research and production behind Shaklee products have allowed me to recommend them to my patients for the past 40 years. I could always trust Shaklee.

6 0

April 4th, 2016

For over forty years I have had the great pleasure of representing this company. It's vision and mission is the golden rule and being in harmony with nature and good health. Our quality of ingredients and purity stand us apart.

February 25th, 2016 Bakersfield, CA

I use their products including the fantastic vitamins every day. People around me get sick over and over and I rarely even get a cold. Great products!

November 7th, 2015 Berkley, MI

I have always trusted both The Shaklee Co. itself , and the independent distributors themselves, with all information, quality, price, and reliability, for over three decades. Everything and everyone can have issues with anything at anytime, that's just the human condition. I love the all-natural products, not feeling pressure from the reps. that I have had sell to me I love that their business *model* is primarily based on selling, vs. personal recruitment. I would consider them strongly, for a variety of reasons, to look into as a supplemental business income for myself. I hate the idea of being pushed into pillaging friends and family to buy or sell, to make it in a business venture. Shaklee rewards the personal efforts of good old sales and customer service, vs. relying on downline-recruitment, and constantly finding new and more distributors to maintain income. Many more good feeling and thoughtful upright things to think about with this Co.

October 16th, 2015 Wailuku, HI

I LOVE Shaklee's products. Love that they have been in business for over 50 years and still going.