Founded in 2002 by world-renowned dermatologists Dr. Katie Rodan and Dr. Kathy Fields, Rodan + Fields is a skincare company in the multi-level marketing industry. With headquarters in San Francisco, California, Rodan + Fields operates in Canada, the United States and Australia. In 2017, the company had more than 200,000 independent consultants reporting sales in at least one month.

#1 Forever Living chevron_right
4.8
#2 Shaklee chevron_right
4.9
#3 doTERRA chevron_right

The Good

• Products
  • Low Upfront Costs
  • Commissions and Bonuses
  • No Inventory Requirements
  • Discounts
  • DSA Member

Products

Rodan + Fields features a complete line of skincare products designed to deliver the exact formulas, in the right order to produce healthy skin. The products are used for wrinkles, sun damage, acne, and irritated skin. There are no toxic chemicals, and many of the products are fragrance-free.

Low Upfront Costs

To join Rodan + Fields' business opportunity, individuals need to purchase a business portfolio for $45. With this portfolio, independent distributors will receive their own personalized website and access to a consultant area that features business tools, training materials, and product information. There is a $25 renewal fee that must be paid annually in order to remain active. The company also offers two higher-tier business kits which are valued at $695 and $995, respectively.

Commissions and Bonuses

Independent distributors have the ability to earn 10-25% commissions on product sales with Rodan + Fields's hybrid compensation plan. Distributors can earn 15% commissions on the revenue of personally recruited team members, plus 5% commissions on revenue generated down to the fifth generation in their downline. Other financial incentives include fast start bonuses, exotic trips, and a luxury car program.

No Inventory Requirements

Rodan + Fields does not require its independent distributors to purchase or maintain certain inventory levels.

Discounts

Preferred Rodan + Fields customers are eligible to receive up to 10% off product purchases and free shipping through the PC Perks program. They also receive exclusive access to product promotions and enhanced customer service. To become a preferred customer, the company charges a one-time enrollment fee of $19.95 and requires the first product purchase to be worth at least $80.

DSA Member

Rodan + Fields is a member of the Direct Selling Association and abides fully by its strict code of ethics.

The Bad

• Expensive Products
  • Skin Irritants
  • Potential Company Sale
  • Low Earning Potential

Expensive Products

Rodan + Fields product packs cost between $150 and $200 for a 60-day supply. This is more expensive than many competitive offerings and may be financially out of reach for some customers.

Skin Irritants

Rodan + Fields provides a full ingredient list on its corporate website. Many of the listed ingredients are known to create skin irritation. For example, the oil from the plant perilla ccymoides is believed to cause contact dermatitis. Individuals with sensitive skin are encouraged to read the list carefully and consult a health physician with any concerns.

Potential Company Sale

The company is currently pursuing a sale with Wells Fargo. However, nothing is imminent at this point. Rodan + Fields is also assessing other potential options, but there is little information at this time. It may be a concern for some individuals that the company could soon be under new management.

Low Earning Potential

According to a 2017 income disclosure statement issued by Rodan + Fields, 59.3% of paid consultants earned less than $1,000 annually. The top 10% of consultants were paid more than $5,272, and only the top 1% made more than $30,185 in the year. This is not considered enough to be an exclusive income for the typical individual.

The Bottom Line

Rodan + Fields is a skincare company that transitioned to a consultant-based sales model in 2007 and has gained 11 years of experience in the multi-level marketing industry. The cost to try the business opportunity is relatively low and distributors have the opportunity to earn numerous commissions and bonuses. However, Rodan + Fields products can be expensive and the earning potential for independent distributors is rather low.

View Best Multi-Level Marketing Companies

Madison Scott
September 23rd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Rodan and Fields as been a part of my life for a few years now. For a couple of months I went off due to finances and it was then that I realized just how much it was working. I trust the products and I feel they work, I do wish the cost wasn't so high so that if you are in a financial low you don't have to take it off your shelf.

Amy V
August 22nd, 2019 Cincinnati, OH DETAILS

My skin has never been better since I started using Rodan + Fields skincare. They never claim that this is for everyone but people won't know unless they try. Plus, it's cheaper than stepping into a doctor's office and getting a prescription you can't return if it doesn't work. I know for a fact that the doctors are not looking to sell. We did team up with TGP to assist with reaching out goals to go global quicker. Doctor's made Proactiv a multi-billion company and is available in 139 countries. When it comes to the business it's very possible to have much success. It all comes down to how badly do you want it and are you ready to do the work. You don't have to do it alone either. Your team you join are there to help when they can and guide you through as their leaders guided them.

Brooklyn May
July 11th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

Redefine regimen is hands downs the best. Don’t want to get wrinkles in the future so I start using it now and it still helps my skin get tighter. Expensive but worth it and it lasts a couple months.

Breanne Stanko
July 9th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

Great company! Love their regimens! Especially the unblemish and the redefine! The lash boost is my absolute favorite!! Totally made my eyelashes longer and healthier. Can be very expensive but definitely worth it!

Terra Stanko
July 8th, 2019 Hyrum, UT

My daughter is a consultant for them and loves their products. I have received the Active Hydration Body Replenish from her and I love it. My heels use to crack all the time and putting that stuff on them has made them smoother and not crack as much especially in the cold winters we get in Utah.

matthew
July 2nd, 2019 Logan, UT

My fiance is a consultant for them. she seems to like it and the unblemish regimen she used for her acne really actually worked and helped clean her acne up. I like how she doesn't have to personally keep the inventory its just all of her website. I’ve used there lip shield in their essentials line and it literally helped my lips heel. They were really cracked and bleeding and I couldn’t even smile and they heeled them!

Braden Stanko
July 1st, 2019 Smithfield, UT DETAILS

My sister sells this and I love it. The new spotless that came out for teens and young adults works so great. its helped me clear up my acne so much!! I love it.

Whitney Stanko
June 28th, 2019 Smithfield, UT DETAILS

I love love this company. I am a consultant for them and have been for about 9 months. Constantly coming out with new products, new regimens. It amazes me how well the doctors know their stuff. The company is growing like crazy. Great regimens for Acne. Totally has cleared my acne up and helped completely.

Rosann Stanko
June 27th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

I loved the products except the face makeup, but the prices were extremely high, so I quit the company.

Stephanie Sarkioglu
October 5th, 2017 Philadelphia, PA

You are also missing a huge component. Rodan +Fields 2016 volume at $1b was only done in 2 countries- there is a several year global expansion plan. Every consultant has the opportunity to develop a team in the new markets. Can you imagine being 1st in a new market with the top selling skincare line in North America??? What an opportunity!! Also the return rate is about 1%, which confirms that the product gives the results it claims. Also, there is NOT 1 product on the market today that somebody hasn't complained about

Laura Harvey
July 24th, 2017 Kent, WA

The market for this MLM is unlimited (and growing) The clientele for the MLM is all genders, all ages, all ethnicity and all skin type. Like any MLM opportunity you get what you put in, although it's not a 100% for success, the training and support is top notch. The price of the products are relative. Take the total cost of a product divide by the suggested days the product is estimated to last and you literally have dollars, for example: A $190 items divided by 60 days = $3.16/day. Some products last even longer than estimated, therefore the close for these premium skincare products are less than a daily coffee or energy drink. Unfortunately , skincare it's not a priority until an issue presents itself and the stigma of it being a beauty product minimizes those issues. To be successful in this business, education and association is key to breaking through.

maria fanning
July 5th, 2017 Mount Pleasant, SC

Products don't work and I was given the wrong info about their guarantee so I am unable to return my product for a refund. Company won't get involved. Said it's the reps situation to deal with and I think that's awful customer service. Rip off.

Tammie Burdette
June 23rd, 2017

I bought the entire system. Spent over $500 on the system which is much more expensive than most of the other products through MLMs on the market today. Used it religiously for 90 days including the microbrasion and nightly and morning rituals. All of which were extremely time consuming and required sterilizing of equipment after use. I took a before picture and after & to my dismay my results we not good. In fact I thought I looked worse instead of better and I did that 20-30 minute nightly ritual for 90 days no matter how tired I was. Fortunately I was able to hook up with a friend who was able to share something with me that not only reversed Rodan & Fields harmful destruction but also give me vast improvement. My skin is now more vibrant, tighter, brighter and many of my fine lines are gone. No thanks to Rodan & Fields. Run from them!!!

Jennifer Abner
November 14th, 2016 Lenoir City, TN

You didnt mention that RF has a 60 day money back guarentee. FULL AMOUNT BACK NOT PARTIAL.Also the regimens are strick and must be followed precisely, which most of the unhappy customer do not.

Karen
November 14th, 2016

Definitely, a win-win situation from both product & business perspective. The product delivers what it promises, however, if you are not satisfied for any reason- you are guaranteed 100% cash back. Customer Service has been a 10 every time I've called or emailed. Polite, timely with responses and they will go above and beyond to make their customers happy.

Bobbi Reed
November 6th, 2016 Sapulpa, OK

The information listed on this site for Rodan+Fields is outdated and some of it is simply inaccurate from the start. This company was founded in 2002 but did not become a MLM until 2008-2009. The line used to be sold in high end department stores and after Drs. Rodan and Fields pulled the products from the stores, the MLM was launched. The company revenue is scheduled to hit $1 Billion by he end of 2016, which is far above the $329 Million listed. A majority of the sales of the products go to customers without any interest in the company (at this time, it is about 65%-70%). As a consultant, I have been provided access to excellent training through my upline. I can either choose to participate or ignore it, but it is there when and if I want to use it. I have never done an MLM until now, so I cannot say what the difference between this one and another is. I can say I have been impressed with the professionalism and the bonus and incentive programs though. The potential this company offers is truly amazing.

Shawn Marie Woodbridge
August 26th, 2016 Laurel, MD

I can tell you first hand that this company is stellar! I tried other premium skincare brands and medications from dermatologists that didn't deliver. R+F has a less than 2% return for a reason! R=F is just that good! Who else offers a 60-day $ back guarantee? I know Clinique, Lancome, and Estee Lauder do not. These products are transformative in every sense of the word. The multi-med therapy regimens WORK. I've only had ONE, one customer of 50 return the products and that's only because she didn't start the products before she left for Europe and when she saw that her skin was reacting to the regimen, she feared they weren't working...but THEY WERE! You have to have a reaction to affect change. I've been a consultant for 15 months and I wouldn't change a thing. Rodan + Fields created the #1 acne treatment in ProActiv, you'd be a fool to think that they wouldn't do the same with their namesake.

fhcg
June 29th, 2016 Berwyn, IL

have been a part of this company for 4 years. it's still a very young company that needs to figure out its infrastructure and improve training. 1.if you're lucky enough to have a committed sponsor, you have a better chance of being successful. but team leaders tend to focus on their friends and people they have a personal relationship with. so, good luck if your sponsor moves on for whatever reason. 2. they can't seem to get their stories straight. you hear variations of important information that has a direct impact on income potential as well as company history - which seems trivial, but makes you look a bit foolish or under-informed when you try to recruit new team members. 3. the business model is focused entirely on selling the business and not enough information is shared or focused on selling product, so good luck (again) if you are more interested in product than in building a team. 4.it also doesn't help that the doctors are also not completely divested from ProActiv, the product line that put them on the map. it's a challenge to sell their premium priced RF products when your friends and family see infomercials selling practically the same product at a fraction of the cost. 5. on the upside, the products are amazing. they really do work.

Telesa McCrory
March 19th, 2016

I have been involved in 5 direct sale companies before R+F. I can honestly say this whole experience is head and shoulders above any other. The integrity of the company and doctors, products, the compensation plan, the residual income, BONUSES and training available makes me so happy to be part of this company!

Wendy
February 24th, 2016 Cumming, GA

The reviews before mine is right on the money. Rodan and Fields is a class act and has a skincare line that truly works.

Brandon Marti
December 2nd, 2015 CA

Coming from someone who has attempted selling Mary Kay, Scentsy, Avon & many more MLM products, Rodan + Fields is by far one of the best in the MLM industry. First of all, we do not distribute or sell 30 day supplies, there is only 1 product that is sold in a 30 day supply (Acute Care - Strips for wrinkles)... other than that, ALL other products only come in 60 day supplies and if the customer is not satisfied, EVERY purchase comes with a 60 day "EMPTY BOTTLE" money back GUARANTEE. There is a Better business buereau of A+ for a reason. Rodan + Fields may not be for everyone, but personally, i have heard no complaints from not one of my customers (which are complete strangers, no family or friends) to date. and as far as compensation, that is only ONE of the disclosed average incomes... whoever wrote this article clearly has not researched their facts, sounds like a lot "hear say" to me. This is coming from someone who is not only a consultant, but I am a very blunt person and know a legit company when i see one. Rodan + Fields has changed my life and it could change yours too!

Caylin
September 8th, 2015 Canonsburg, PA

This job entered my life at a very unique time, and I thank God it did! I am making money, and the training is phenomenal. If I didn't have this job, we wouldn't be able to fly to get my baby girl a surgery she needs.