Purium

Purium Logo

Purium

2011 lawsuit for lead content in products

Founded in 1993 and headquartered in Long Beach, California, Purium is a health and diet supplements company in the multi-level marketing industry. Purium offers certified organic and kosher products, wellness retreats, and free nutritional consultations from a licensed naturopath. The company generates $45.4 million in global revenue each year.

View Best Multi-Level Marketing Companies

Forever Living Logo Forever Living ›

9.0

Overall
Score

doTERRA Logo doTERRA ›

8.1

Overall
Score

Shaklee Logo Shaklee ›

7.5

Overall
Score

Purium Logo Purium ›

5.4

Overall
Score

The Good

• Gift Card Marketing System
  • Commissions and Bonuses
  • Money Back Guarantee
  • Licensed Naturopath

Gift Card Marketing System

Purium employs a gift card marketing system. Members are given $50 gift cards at no cost and are paid $50 when that card is redeemed for the purchase of the 10-Day transformation program. The number of gift cards a member can receive depends on which starter pack they originally decided to purchase. If the person who redeems the card decides to join Purium as a promoter, the member who handed out the card can earn up to $350.

Commissions and Bonuses

The company offers a weekly retail bonus of up to 30 percent for distributors and 45 percent for health professionals. Distributors also have the ability to earn 36 percent on unilevel commissions through eight levels. In addition to commissions, Purium offers several revenue-sharing pools and a lifestyle bonus up to $10,000 each month. Distributors have access to the company's Crown University, which provides business training and support materials to help them succeed in their new business ventures.

Money Back Guarantee

Purium offers a 60-day unconditional money-back guarantee.

Licensed Naturopath

Naturopaths work to correct imbalances by assisting the body's own natural healing mechanisms without the use of prescription medicines or invasive methods such as surgery. Purium employs a licensed naturopath who offers members free nutritional consultations. During the consultation, the naturopath will interview the consumer to get a comprehensive overview of their lifestyle and medical history. The naturopath will then make personalized recommendations based on the information gathered. However, naturopaths do not diagnose or treat diseases.

The Bad

• Expensive Products
  • Side Effects
  • Lawsuit
  • Low Earning Potential

Expensive Products

Purium's products are relatively expensive; one of its products retails at $230, which may be out of reach for many household budgets. This product includes 30 meals along with 2 additional cleansing products for 30 days, or can be accelerated into a 10 day transformation along with minimal additional purchases of food. Purium offers other products that are more price friendly ranging from $20.97.

Side Effects

Purium customers have reported some negative side effects resulting from product use, many of which are related to the release of toxins from the body. Common reported side effects include nausea, bloating, headaches, tiredness, and irritability. Additionally, some consumers noted that the taste of the product takes some getting used to and they had to go to the bathroom frequently.

Lawsuit

In 2011, the Environmental Research Center filed a lawsuit against Purium, with the main complaint regarding a violation of the health and safety code. Purium was allegedly accused of knowingly marketing and distributing products containing lead. The company was also accused of failing to provide clear and reasonable warnings to the general public.

Low Earning Potential

The monthly average earnings of a Purium distributor ranges from $44.94 to $740, which is not an income that a typical person could live on exclusively. Individuals will want to accelerate through the sales ranks quickly if they desire to make a more substantial income. The business opportunity is best suited for individuals with extensive experience in sales and marketing. However, hard work and time invested in the company could eventually pay off in $10,000 bonus per month.

The Bottom Line

Purium is a nutritional supplements company with 22 years of experience in the multi-level marketing industry. The company utilizes a gift card marketing system and offers several commissions and bonuses to its independent distributors. Purium also employs a licensed naturopath. However, Purium's products are relatively expensive and distributors have a low earning potential.

View Best Multi-Level Marketing Companies

Joe Flanagan
January 2nd, 2019 South Dennis, MA DETAILS

I have used Purium products for three years. The products are some of the best in the marketplace. Order each month and only once received an order with something missing. Emailed the company and the missing item was sent and received within days. Never an issue with this company. The products are not expensive, as some say, if you compare to comparable products.

Jennifer
December 18th, 2018 Tampa, FL DETAILS

I was lucky enough to be introduced to Purium and a 10 day transformation changed my life. After having 3 babies and years of just eating whatever was around or left over on the kids plates I had gained over 40 lbs. This 10 day not only started me on a path where I lost the first 7 lbs but have continued to loose weight and am now only 7 lbs shy of my pre baby weight. I also had an increase in energy and mental clarity which led me to be more focused and dedicated to a much healthier lifestyle. 10 days was just the beginning of a new life journey and I am so grateful to both my friend who shared this gift with me and the formulators of these amazing organic super-food combination that insure that I am getting some awesome nutrition in my body. The product was delivered promptly and well packaged, and the packaging was environmentally friendly. Love that the cost compares to one stop at a coffee shop a day and I don't need to drink coffee anymore. The 60 day money back guarantee makes it a no brainer and there is no auto-ship required like some other companies do in order to receive a discount, and the customer service is absolutely amazing, the wait might be a little long but the agents are always kind and polite.

Gina Hansen
November 13th, 2018 Kaneohe, HI DETAILS

I have been a customer for nearly 5 years and have used a variety of products over those years. My pantry is always full of many Purium staples for my whole family. Once I had an issue with the shipping condition of my box, and after I called Purium, they replaced the damaged container without hesitancy. I love their 60-day money-back guarantee! When I first discovered these products, I flew to California to attend a tour of the warehouse and learn about the company. I found the owners to be full of integrity-- real heart-centered leaders who want to make an impact on the world. I was impressed with the quality control lab and the process of testing the ingredients. I feel the difference in my body energetically when I drink a Purium green shake compared with a cheaper brand. The purity is exceptional. I feel "alive" and present --- like my inner light bulb turns on! I will be a customer for life and continue to tell my friends and family about this amazing nutrition and wellness source.

Alicia Valenzuela
November 6th, 2018 Redlands, CA DETAILS

Purium manufactures and distributes the most effective nutritional superfoods of any company in the world. I have been able to naturally overcome every health obstacle through the healing power of Purium superfoods and without the use of prescription medications. I have personally heard 100's of first person accounts of how these foods have helped both animal and human alike in supporting overall health. I no longer suffer from sinus infections, acne, insomnia, anxiety, muscle wasting, infertility, etc because of Purium. I will be forever grateful to the founders and professionally efficient customer service and shipping departments for their service to myself and the people I love.

Cory Lauer
October 3rd, 2018 Ellicott City, MD DETAILS

I bought the 10 Day Transformation from Purium and did receive the products in a timely manner. However, after further thought, I decided to return the unopened product due to the high cost. I contacted customer service and followed the instructions provided by the representative. To date (~4 months later), I have yet to receive a refund. I have contacted them several times and each time I have been told that they would "look into it". I have never received a return or email follow-up. I now am not only without the product but additionally out over $200! In my opinion, this is unacceptable, poor customer service and most likely a SCAM! Beware!

Allen Biles
June 4th, 2018 Naples, FL DETAILS

I want to tell you about my personal experience using Purium Health Products. First, I want you to know that I am a business man, 57 years old, 5'11" tall and average build. In August 2014, from some tremendous business and family stress, I had gained weight over a few short years and went from 188 lbs. to 254 lbs. I had a bulging gut at over 50", I felt tired all the time, my joints ached and I was almost unable to get up and down stairs. My Blood Pressure was averaging 160 over 108. I was very worried and my doctor wanted me on BP meds. Which I refused, as I know they are problematic and I did not have insurance. (which added to the stress) I had very high cholesterol and lots of joint aches and pains. In Mid-July 2014 I started the "10 Day Transformations with the 20 Continuation". I followed the recommended 4 day diet protocol, prior to starting the 10 Day Transformation. I found it easy, delicious and filling. I also LOST WEIGHT... a LOT of weight! And NOT Water weight. I lost FAT!!!! FOURTEEN POUNDS to be exact! Yes.. 14 POUNDS!!!! OMG... My gut was slimming, my "love handles" were disappearing and I was sleeping better and feeling more rested than I could ever remember. I continued with the 20 day continuation and lost a few more pounds. So I reorder another 10 Day Transformation Pack with the 20 Day continuation... (NOW called the "40 Day Cleanse). I did that for FOUR (4) consecutive Months and I lost 48 pounds. I lost so much FAT off my body and I gained Muscle! OMG... I was (and still am) SO EXCITED about PURIUM. After the first 10 Day Transformation... (withOUT Exercise) my blood pressure was NORMAL... my weight was down and I was sleep better than ever. I felt HAPPY! I felt Encouraged! After the 4 consecutive months... ALL my bodily measurements BP, Cholesterol, Blood Sugar... EVERYTHING was NORMAL or Better Than Normal. And it totally broke my bodies addiction to Sugar, Chocolate and Coffee. And because they have such a "FAMILY" of wonderful distributors or "Brand Partners" I have a whole new circle of Wellness minded friends that I know I'll have for the rest of my life. And David Sandoval and Amy Venner-Hamdi are such amazing people with incredible integrity. Their products are very reasonable cost. But, you have to look at the "Serving Cost". Like the "Power Shake" or the LOV Meal works out to about $2.50 or $3.00 per Shake. OMG... for a complete full nutrition meal that nuritious your body at the Cellular level... WOW... you cannot find a better value! I have now been consuming PURIUM HEALTH PRODUCTS for 4 years. I cannot imagine anything tastier, healthier that makes you feel SO ALIVE. I have a background in Health & Wellness Supplementation that dates back to my childhood. My Father was feeding my "Cod Liver Oil, Tiger Milk Bars and Protein Shakes" since I was about 4 years old. My Grandparents got involved with Shaklee in 1972 and so I started consuming Shaklee supplements for nearly 10 years. As an adult, I was with AMWAY and took their NUTRILITE line of Products from 1981 until 2002. Additionally, I have tried or used formulations from: Shaklee, Herbalife, MeadowFresh, Young Living, Natures Garden, Atkins, Zrii, Zija & Sun Warrior. NONE of those companies Weight Loss or Nutritional Products have the Purity, Quality and Integrity of PURIUM. I certainly NEVER had the amazing health benefits and feelings I have had with PURIUM. After 4 years, I feel amazing! I have at least 1 Power Shake every single day... to which I add Organic Kamut Wheat Grass Powder, Organic Spirulina and their product called "Can't BEET This". ALL of my children and many of my friends have had amazing results with PURIUM, including one friend, a Type II Diabetic, who after 11 years of Insulin shots 4 X's a day... Did the 10 Day Transformation + 20 Day Continuation. She did that for 3 months, lost 38 pounds is no longer a diabetic and does NOT use insulin. YES... PURIUM is PURE, PREMIUM ORGANIC NUTRITION! YES... PURIUM IS THE BEST!!!! Oh gosh... and I made over $1,000 in my first 5 weeks of joining. My product orders have nearly always been covered by my monthly Commission checks. I LOVE this company. I have NOT pursued it as a full time business. But, several friends have gone from a "newbie" to full time with incomes exceeding $10K per month. I know it works, it's real... and it is THE BEST!!!

Lois Brisbois
December 19th, 2017 DETAILS

I use Purium products and plan to continue doing so. My main benefit was a huge one. I cut my blood pressure medication by 7/8 ths. Yes...you are seeing correctly. I am maintaining great bp readings. Lois Brisbois

Melissa Nash
November 3rd, 2017 Anahola, HI DETAILS

I have been using Purium products for over two years now and love them. Honestly, I feel they have saved me and my family on many levels. I was suffering from undernourishment when I was early postpartum with my second child. I remembered my friend sharing about Purium with me and made an order. My life changed after that. I was able to get the nutrition my body was desperately needing, so I stopped yelling at my other child so much. My moods stabilized. I felt better, happier. I know many people are turned off my MLMs, and I was too initially. But I knew that Purium's products were helping others and I needed help too. Then I wanted to share the products and needed a new form of income, so I began the business path. In addition, Purium's platform recently changed and while one can choose to build a business and become a brand partner (member) with Purium, you can also just be a customer now and support your friend who referred you without any requirements, and with incentive to order regularly. I give Purium 5 Stars because it's turned my life in a more positive direction and has given me a few paychecks even in the short month I've been working with them.

I. Villeda
July 18th, 2017

Amy and Riadh H are nothing but crooks. They swindle the general public with their Purium pyramid scam and think nothing will happen. People need to assert their rights and continue to file lawsuits. They are both dishonest, disgusting "human beings" who need to be exposed for what they do in both their personal and "business" lives.

Bill
May 10th, 2017 Kansas City, MO

A simple 10 Transformational Day vacation from processed foods led to over 4 years of experience with this incredible company. Are they perfect, no, but as close to it as I have found and I plan on being here as long as Purium because you just cannot find this great a source for whole food, real food nutrition today anywhere. And this comes from over 25 years experience in the Wellness industry. After over 20 years with what I thought was an exceptional natural wellness company, my experiences have shown me that Purium is not only the leader in the Network Marketing field when it comes to purity and potency of its WHOLE FOOD Superfoods nutritional product lines but also far and away the best value to the consumer in any market. When it comes to getting the most value for your money - Gram by gram, considering Purity, Potency, Scientific Validation, Freshness from a Farm to Family system it is easy to understand why many of the purists end up here. USDA Organic and non-GMO Project Verified product lines - check! A healthy, fast and simple Weight Loss system that will do in 10 days what most fail to do in 30, 60 or 90 days - check! Anti-aging product line as evidenced by pictures of many of the Purium family - check! Detoxification whole food products to clean out bodies in desperate need of cleansing - check! Priced to where even the most economically challenged can afford to step up their daily nutritional intake - check! (NOTE: I would like to understand what it is about the Purium product line and price list that led the author to consider it expensive. When you can get, for example, 36 USDA Organic Superfoods, no fillers, no additives, nothing artificial that covers as a Weight Loss Formula + Protein Drink + Fiber Supplement + Essential Fatty Acid Supplement + Super-Antioxidant + Immune Support Supplement + Energy Drink, all for as little as $2.50 per serving it is hard to understand the reasoning.) There is Average, then there is Better and then there is the Best and many will accept the first 2 and overlook or never hear of the Best. I had enough of the Average and found my way through the Better until finally I was graced with finding the Best in Purium. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that doesn't necessarily make one wrong, but there is mine based on over 50 months of health transforming experiences with this amazing company.

Pat
January 31st, 2017

Hi, have to say having used purium products for first time I no longer suffer stomach issues and got rid off toxins, while some products are dear the benefits are brilliant, its only 25 to join if I give people gift card, I am honest and tell it as it is, I think an interview with customers and owner and distributors would be fair,some the information here is incorrect and their are people doing quite well Pat

Willow Roots
September 8th, 2016 Portland, OR

I make a great income with purium and have changed the course of my health as well. for those looking for a second stream of income its great.

Wayne Gerald
May 17th, 2016 Klamath Falls, OR

First I think the editors review is too harsh, and even inaccurate. The editor review says it costs $290 to get started in Purium. This is incorrect. With a $50 Gift Card one is given from their sponsor, the cost is $75 - (minus) $50 Gift Card = $25 for a lifetime distributor membership (no annual renewals) which gives them a minimum of 15% off all products, and an opportunity to make commissions. In addition, it gives them 5 $50 Gift cards ($250 worth) to give away to easily give away $50 of products for one to try, to make it easier to acquire new customers. One gets 30% on the full retail price If one is on 50PV autoback (not autoship) ... which means if they don't purchase or sell 50PV in products in a month, an automatic order kicks in on the 21rst. As long as somebody is selling a minimum of 50PV a month (about $65 in products), one never HAS to make ANY monthly purchases to qualify for commissions (unlike most network marketing companies which FORCE one to make personal monthly purchases). I gave a 9 because no company is perfect, and there is always room for improvement. But Purium's very pure product line and 60 day money back guarantee, and allowing customers to try $50 of products for free puts them on top for me. Their policies and procedures show they are a company with a heart. Their compensation plan is doable and fair at beginning, middle, and the top. The fact Purium has been in business for 24 years, and only 3 years ago became a network marketing company is amazing. How many established retail distribution manufacturers decide to go MLM 20 years after they were formed? Very few. Have you heard of Pure Planet products, which products always get great reviews? Guess what? Same manufacturer.

Rallen Caya
November 24th, 2015 Waimanalo, HI

this company is awesome it is organic, no fillers, no binders, non gmo and for the customer service part they just hired alot more staff.