Nature's Sunshine was founded in 1972 when the Hughes family developed a system for encapsulating the herb capsicum at their kitchen table. They were the first company to ever do so. The company generates $366.37 million in global revenue annually on over 500 products.

The company owns a production and research facility located in Spanish Fork, Utah. Nature's Sunshine Products also owns a direct marketing company that sells nutritional products called Synergy Worldwide. The company is a multi-level weight loss and detox product marketing company. Nature's Sunshine Products are located in over 30 countries around the globe. They operate primarily in the United States but also have a strong market in Europe as well.

#1 Forever Living chevron_right
4.8
#2 Shaklee chevron_right
4.9
#3 doTERRA chevron_right

The Good

• Support and Tools
  • No Inventory Required
  • Quality Control

Support and Tools

Nature's Sunshine Products uses a mix of direct sales and multi-level marketing techniques to recruit distributors and sell their line of nutritional products. The company provides tremendous support to its independent distributors.

The company offers free monthly webinars and two yearly conferences that provide product education and business guidance. Distributors get free access to a members-only community online and are provided a personalized and professional website for their businesses.

Nature's Sunshine Products also trains its distributors in social media techniques and gives them free management tools. No inventory is required as the company operates on an automatic shipping program. Joining the opportunity costs only $40 per year. The company pays out approximately half of every dollar generated by the company to its distributors in compensation.

Experienced Leadership

Upper-level management is highly experienced. The CEO and chairman, Gregory L. Probert was the former President of the Herbalife Company. Probert was also the Vice President of Worldwide Home Entertainment at the Walt Disney Company.

Quality Control

Nature's Sunshine Products has rigorous quality control testing for its nutritional supplements. The products are certified by the third-party nonprofit organization NSF International. This organization's audits have strict quality control standards for the manufacturing industry.

They assure stakeholders and the public at large that products meet the technical standards set forth by the Food and Drug Administration. NSF International tests for microbial and chemical contamination that might occur during the product development and manufacturing process.

While the products are not FDA-approved, they do comply with the standards and regulations set forth for dietary supplements. The products are also clearly labeled and are at affordable prices. The company's product line includes remedies for allergies, cleansing regimens, weight loss products, and a wide variety of nutritional supplements.

The Bad

• Monthly Requirements
  • Legal Issues
  • Transparency

Requirements

In order to qualify for rebates and commissions from a downline in the compensation plan, independent distributors need to either purchase or resell $100 in products monthly. If sales are slow, this can really eat into your bottom line. If you are relying on the business opportunity as a regular income, this can be a financial hardship without an extensive network and downline.

Legal Issues

The company ran into legal trouble in the middle of 2009. The SEC charged Nature's Sunshine Products with bribing officials in Brazil with over a million dollars in order to import unregistered nutritional products into the country in 2000-2001.

The allegations also stated that Nature's Sunshine Products falsified their accounting books to hide the illegal payments. The SEC stated that the company violated the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. According to court files, the Brazilian subsidiary could not register the products from Nature's Sunshine due to changes in regulations regarding many supplements being categorized as medicines.

As a result, sales in Brazil fell dramatically. Nature's Sunshine allegedly tried to get around the issue by doling out undocumented cash and recording them in their books as "importation advances." The subsidiary in Brazil documented them as legitimate expenses, and Nature's Sunshine failed to disclose the information in SEC filings.

The company also allegedly violated federal security laws when it filed misleading forms. The company agreed to pay $600,000 in fines in order to settle the case. The upper-level management resigned after the fact, and the incident was regarded as Nature's Sunshine failing to take appropriate remedial action against poor decision-making by executive management. There appear to be no further incidents.

Transparency

Trying to find specific information on the business opportunity and the compensation plan is difficult to find. Most of the information is more easily found searching reviews online about the company. For such an excellent compensation plan, it is disappointing to not find more transparency regarding the opportunity on the company website.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Nature's Sunshine appears to be a legitimate business opportunity. Top-level management is strong, the products are high-quality, and the compensation plan appears lucrative. The business opportunity has a low financial cost of entry. There are very few customer complaints and the company has been strong in the industry for over 40 years. Independent distributors who are health and wellness enthusiasts may enjoy working for a company that was the first to encapsulate herbs for consumption.

The drawbacks to this nutritional supplement company include steep barriers to earning significant commissions and bonuses. Also various legal incidents bribing Brazilian officials with over a million dollars in the past and violating federal security laws. Other than that, the company appears to be a lucrative opportunity for individuals looking to start businesses in the health and wellness industry.

View Best Multi-Level Marketing Companies

Christine Farmer
June 7th, 2019 Littleton, CO DETAILS

I am not a consultant, but have used the Nature's Sunshine products. I really like the Grapeine with Protectors and the new Rejuvenaid packets. I'm confident that they have quality products. They are on the expensive side unless you have some kind of discount, but I feel this is true of most multi-level marketing companies.

judej
April 1st, 2019 DETAILS

i don't think they reps of this product should tell people with kidney disease that it is ok to eat all the meat you want because it wont harm the kidneys. Most people know that excess protein makes the kidneys work harder and that is exactly what the kidneys DONT NEED . And the product should not cost an arm and a leg. simply ridiculous. That I why I quit this Natures sunshine stuff , just another money racket

Patricia Carson
January 31st, 2019 Columbus, GA DETAILS

I love the Paw Paw capsules . Leukemia has resurfaced after 6 years and need the capsules again for my immune system. I have friends that had breast cancer a few years back and it worked for them. When will you have more of these capsules. Thank you Patricia carson

Antonia
January 15th, 2019 Evanston, IL DETAILS

I love Nature Sunshine. I have never had an issue with the product. In fact I would take the products . Over prescription medications any day. I am so happy I was introduced to this product 7 years ago. What a difference it made in my life.

Miguel
June 27th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV

Be careful with some credits that they offer in your purchase, it's a scam, they apply and after they cash you on your statement, it's a scam

Allen Biles
June 4th, 2018 Naples, FL

Hello, I want to write and tell you about my experience with Nature Sunshine Products. When I was 28 years old, I was challenged with Blood Sugar issues. I was at that time finding that after I would eat, even the healthiest meals, I would get so tired, that I absolutely had to take a short nap. It was scary sometimes, because if I was on business (I was an on the road Insurance agent) and I stopped for lunch... I had to find someplace to park and sleep for an hour. Even if all I had was a Salad. (No Bread or Carbs) By Divine Grace, one of leads was a couple who owned a Hair Salon, but, were also Nature Sunshine Distributors. Upon my 2nd visit to sign their Insurance documents we met at their home... and I started telling them about the trouble I was having with falling asleep after eating. They recommended a Chinese Digestive Cleanse, Licorice Root Caps and LBS II. OMG... The STUFF that came out of my gut was just disgusting. My intestines were so full of black slimy crap... it was amazing what was pulled out of me. Within in 10 days... my energy levels returned and here we are some 30 years later... and guess what???? I still LOVE and USE Nature's Sunshine Products. I also had issues with Walking Pnuemonia and I took their Chinese & Aruyvedic Lung Healing Remedies along with ALJ and OMG... my lungs completely healed up. I raised all 6 of my children on NSP Health Products and they have ALWAYS been part of my diet and health regimine. I have NOT built this as a business, though I have over the years sponsored a few people and had some customers. NSP had incredible training opportunities and they have TREMENDOUS Integrity as a company. You cannot find a better Herbal Supplement Company than NSP. They also have a very pure, high quality line of Essential Oils. Excellent Company and I highly recommend their products. I understand the opportunity can be very good, if you WORK and Treat it like a REAL Business. But, because the products are very reasonably priced.... you do need to build a pretty large network of faithful customers & distributors to earn a lot of money. There a many thousands that earn large, full time incomes from NSP. After 30 years of association, I have many several and they all people of great integrity.

Richard S. Williams
February 7th, 2018 DETAILS

I have as a Nature"s Sunshine distributor since 1981 received a marvelous education from NSP webinars, conventions, local Company presented educational events. I attribute my cure from two cancers to the education afforded to me by NSP and the use of their wonderful products. My Doctor's who diagnosed me have no interest in how I cured myself but pronounced me as "Clear" period. As to life style, my wife was able to retire from an extremely demanding profession and I from an equally demanding, very unpleasant job. We have traveled at company expense thought the world for at least 30 years, five star hotels, cruises at all time. Check out the NSP web site. The events are listed there. Our life style is one that few experience, if I remember correctly we are driving our 12 free NSP car not to mention our health insurance. By the way, we have given our all to NSP.

Mary Reed Gates
February 6th, 2018 Landisville, PA DETAILS

I am a traditional Naturopath and have worked with several herb and supplement companies... NSP is by far the best... The quality is unequaled and the company a joy to work with.

Kimberly Matteo
September 19th, 2017 Springfield, MO

I have used this company for 33 years. My family has enjoyed extraordinary health!

Ernie
August 18th, 2017 Post Falls, ID

No incentives for bulk purchases to save by getting free shipping, plus they charge tax no matter which state you are ordering the products from....pure greed!

Jennifer Weiss
June 12th, 2017 Roseville, CA

Nature's Sunshine is truly a company of "quality, service and integrity". They were the first company to put herbs into capsules and literally invented quality control in that industry. I started with NSP in 1976 and for 40 years my business has supported four families, paid for my parents assisted living, and has given me the opportunity to travel the world via free incentive trips, not to mention their car program and other perks. I always say, "We all have to earn a living, why not do so helping others!"

Lorene Benoit
June 12th, 2017

I have submitted some errors about this report. I have worked as a professional natural health educator with NSP products for 27 yrs. and they are excellent products with excellent education and support! The ONLY complaint I have is that certain companies sell illegally on Amazon, which negates the support & education principal inherent in this company, and the legal departments has not effectively stopped this.

Laura
April 20th, 2017

I started work with NSP only few month ago . I cant believe what result I gave already for my health and finance. I am so delighted that NSP is in Lithuania. I am not buying any veg and fruit in market,because I am getting all vitamins and minerals from NSP products,that is full contain of mineral and vitamins and absorbs to my body. The NSP product are very high quality.

Jodi Schroeder Barnett
February 14th, 2017

As a Doctor of Naturopathy, I wanted to offer my patients quality nutritional supplements that would bring them results and not bankrupt their wallets in the process. I have worked with NSP since 2009, using and recommending their product line to my patients with amazing results, MLM's get a bad review because folks jump in thinking they are going to be a millionaire thru a specific company, Just like any JOB in life, you will get out of it what you invest in "work" and growing your knowledge. I am able to actually save money as a practitioner because I don't have to stock any product and patients can become members if their 1st order reaches $40 and receive the discounted price as a member, Also this way I don't have to deal with state sale taxes either. Would I recommend this Company to others ABSOLUTELY, their quality is excellent, their customer service amazing, and those above you your "upline" if you will, are NOT cut throat, I've had others who receive zero monetary benefit from helping me, go totally out of their way to offer me help and assistance when needed. I am proud to be affiliated with NSP.

Sarah Dick
November 11th, 2016

My family has been with Nature's Sunshine for 40 years or so. They have excellent products. Safety and efficacy are their priorities. They offer excellent education and training.

Inez Teemer
December 16th, 2015 Chicago, IL

Great company and products. The company is very supportive.