Mannatech is a global multi-level marketing company focused on health and nutritional products. The company's mission is to fight global malnutrition. Its main focus is the research, development, and distribution of what the company calls "glyconutrients." These glyconutrients are plant-sourced saccharides designed to boost and promote healthy body nutrition. Mannatech's founder, Samuel L. Caster stated the company was into the improvement of the quality of life. Mannatech began in 1993 and currently operates in 24 countries. The company has 310 employees and over 229, 000 independent sales associates. The company has 100 patents on their products.

View Best Multi-Level Marketing Companies

#1 Forever Living chevron_right
4.8
#2 Shaklee chevron_right
4.9
#3 doTERRA chevron_right

The Good

• Loyalty program
  • Business tools and support
  • 180 day satisfaction guarantee

Products

Mannatech's mission is to eliminate global malnutrition. Ultimately the claims were disproven, Mannatech features numerous positive testimonials from previous customers that stated various diseases and illnesses they had were significantly improved by Mannatech's signature product Ambrotose. Mannatech also has a noble vision to help sick kids suffering from nutritional deficiencies with a program that focuses on strengthening their immune systems. Many of the products are gluten-free and suitable for vegetarians. The product line includes skin care, fitness, health, weight management, fitness supplements, and personal care items.

Loyalty Program

Mannatech rewards its customers through a loyalty program that gives a 20 percent credit on every automatic order that is placed monthly. This credit can also be redeemed for a free product from the company. This credit can be redeemed once a customer places three consecutive automatic orders. The customer can then redeem the credit every consecutive business period after that.

Business Tools

Mannatech does provide a wide assortment of business support for its independent associates. The company has a library of videos and product sheets that can be downloaded for free or purchased. The company also offers personal web pages so that associates can build an online presence. There are live and recorded trainings available 24 hours a day through online modules. There are live weekly conference calls and training events offered by the company.

Satisfaction Guarantee

Independent associates also receive a Success Tracker system to help them manage and grow their businesses. The cost to join is only $10 for members (customers) which gives a low barrier of entry into owning a business. If you purchase a product when joining, the $10 fee is waived. Mannatech offers a 180 day 100% satisfaction guarantee for retail customers, members, and associates.

The Bad

• Class-action lawsuit
  • Negative publicity
  • Can be difficult to signup

Class-action Lawsuit

The company faced a period of intense controversy over its claims of scientific links to cellular glycobiology and its effects on the human body. In 2005, a class-action lawsuit was filed against Mannatech for violating the Securities Exchange Act. Mannatech was accused of misrepresenting its products and making false claims about their beneficial properties. The company settled the case by paying $11.35 million to the class of plaintiffs. However, Mannatech admitted to no overall wrongdoing but only settled to avoid prolonged court costs.

Other Legal Issues

Mannatech was also investigated in 2006 by the Texas Attorney General for alleged violations of the Deceptive Trade Practices Act. In 2007, the Texas Attorney General brought formal charges against Mannatech for the operation of an illegal marketing scheme. Mannatech responded to the complaint by expanding its compliance department. They also provided reports to the Attorney General's office periodically to establish that its affiliate network was adhering to appropriate marketing guidelines. Mannatech paid over $4 million in restitution to previous clients who purchased the company's nutritional products in order to settle the case. The company also had to pay $2 million in court costs and a civil penalty of $1 million. The founder, Sam Caster also agreed to stay away from any form of leadership or employment with Mannatech for five years. Mannatech again admitted no wrongdoing. The health and wellness company simply decided to settle by payments than argue the case.

Company Losses

Negative publicity regarding these lawsuits damage the company's profits and stock performance. Over the next two years after the cases were resolved, Mannatech lost approximately $30 million in profits. In 2010, a quarter of Mannatech's total sales were gone. Recruiting efforts also suffered. This made things difficult for the company to bounce back in the market positively.

Transparency

Mannatech's website is difficult to use. Information is tricky to find regarding products and costs in joining the Mannatech team as a sales associate. You cannot simply order or join online. You must have the account number of a referring friend. If you do not have this information, then you will have to call the company's toll-free number. Associates are strongly encouraged to purchase product packs monthly that can be expensive. These products range from $50-$1,000.

The Bottom Line

Because of the company's controversial past, we would not recommend the purchasing of Mannatech's nutritional products or involvement in their business opportunity. The company has been charged numerous times for deceptive practices. The cases were settled and no official charges were filed. However, the fact that the company's founder had to step down from the company and not be employed by his own company for five years is unsettling.

The company hired another CEO in his place and the company never bounced back positively to the stature it once had. Although the company bases its product claims on legitimate science, there is no scientific proof of the nutritional benefits of the human body. The sales tactics the company encourages its consultants to employ can be overbearing and pushy to some consumers. Proceed with caution.

View Best Multi-Level Marketing Companies

4.1

Joel Easling
December 7th, 2018 Port Orchard, WA DETAILS

180 Day (empty bottle) money back guarantee? This should speak for itself! I have used the products from Mannatech since I was nine (over 20 years now) and during that time, due to the quality of these products, my immune system has been better than that of most anyone I know. I have not suffered more than one bought of sickness that has kept me home bound. Mannatech has been completely open with all it's practices, studies, findings and scientific backup to the "claims" ever given. When a company (like Mannatech) leads an industry in something out of the norm, they will be attacked. Mannatech has held strong and weathered the storm of many attacks claiming malpractice, and yet, never been proven or evidenced of such. I will back my life on the truthfulness and quality products this company provides. You should too. As for the "Bottom line" written above... You may want to do a bit more research before you make such claims on a company that withstands the test of time and scrutiny.

Sonny Riddell
May 11th, 2018 DETAILS

I have been a product user and even business owner with Mannatech since 1998. I don't have one bad word to say about this wonderful company. I am now 62 yrs. young and I owe my energy and lack of health issues to taking glyconutrients daily. I look, and act much younger than my peers as they regularly complain about this and that health concern. I wouldn't go a day without them. As far as legal comments go, you CANNOT make any type of claim with nutrients as that makes it a 'drug' claim and these are not drugs. They are simply molecules extracted from food that are 'known' immune builders. The business side works if you don't give up and tell everyone you know. Some will not be interested, but you never know who is 'needing' this information. I dislike people that pass on uninformed opinions and have never tried glyconutrients but like to comment negatively. They are not aware. There is someone out there that will sincerely help you, if you are open to the Universe.

Samantha Katz
July 31st, 2017

This company has now gone through my private social media accounts! I want to be removed as a business associate completely as I received an email from Jann R B from their legal and business ethics department which made me feel very threatened. I am not allowed to reveal what was said in detail as they have some confidentiality notice on it. Bottom line- they want all my social media accounts that I use to state that I am an associate and they want me to remove videos on my YouTube channel that doesn't even state their name but they want it gone. Who do they think they are? They don't own me. There are very few reviews on this company because they are NOT transparent. The email Jann sent me stated that I must never tell anyone (which I haven't) that their products can heal, treat or prevent disease- then what is the point of the product if it can't do those things???? Even the testimonials given to me by my upline are dodgy and I'm not allowed to share them on social media only one on one. I've now had it with Mannatech, first I was forced into it now I am getting threatened by their legal and ethics department. Can someone advise me as to what to do about this situation, I feel that I am being treated terribly by this company.

Tammy Lea
July 5th, 2017 Houston, TX

I love the 6 months money back guarantee. I have always had great customer service and product is delivered in a timely manner.

Gary Krolicki
May 15th, 2017

This company is based on SCIENCE and Not Hype..with this being said you can go and see for yourself in their 50 million dollar science lab, how the science is done... Please show me any other companies research lab and I would love to check it out..The best of the best right here folks... they are just getting started in changing the world and the way people see how a REAL company operates. Let the fat be gone..not the weight... Anybody that knows what that means gets it. Gary.

Rudolph Thomas
August 29th, 2016

My biased opinion is that the company goes through every effort to put a product o0n the market that is clean and safe to use. Combined with patents and clinical trials the products are the best I could find on the market when compared to other products I used in the past. The products are made from real food sources meaning the absorption is much better than synthetic products. Your body simply performs better with correct nutrition.

Rudi Daniels
August 15th, 2016

I'm an associate with Mannatech and a product User. While I have seen different results with different people, both positive and Negative, What's very important for me is how the company treats those tow groups of people. The company and the independent associates treats both the people the approve and disapprove of them in a positive way. People that claim the products do not work have been offered their money back and no other backlash. People that have left the business claiming failure have been given a warm goodbye with bridges un-burned. On the other side people who love the products are given great benefits and the compensation plan as well as the support system and supportive people and appreciation from new and old associates is incredible! I haven't achieved much but every step has been rewarded and acknowledge by my partners, mentors and coaches. Excellent company

CLEM GOSNEY
June 29th, 2016 Stillwater, OK

We have been associates for one year as of June, 2016. This involves purchasing about $120 worth of products a month. We have done our best to promote the products, the company & the company's missions. However we have no profited at all from this business. We have our doubts as to the products' claims as we do not any residual customers. We are going to discontinue our associate position.

Christian Keyter
May 6th, 2016

I have found nothing wrong with any of Mannatech's products that we have been using. It is truly a good product. Every company has his ups and downs so it might be a bit unfair to dwell on their past. It still the 5th highest in global revenue.