doTERRA is a multi-level marketing health and wellness business in the essential oils industry. Its company headquarters are based in Pleasant Grove, Utah. The company's product line consists of over 100 essential oils, skin care, weight management, and nutritional supplement products.

David Stirling is the founder of doTERRA and former Young Living associate. The company consists of approximately 1,300 employees and over three million independent distributors. The business generates over $1 billion in global sales annually and achieved the billion dollar mark in the first seven years.

The company also has won numerous awards for its achievements in its industry, including 2013 Business of the Year from the mayor in Pleasant Grove, Utah.

Some of its popular products include doTERRA Deep Blue Rub, doTERRA On Guard, and the company's line of essential oil diffusers.

View doTERRA Reviews

The Good

• High Customer Retention
  • Membership Options
  • Low doTERRA Startup Costs
  • Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Products
  • Training and Support
  • High Compensation Benefits
  • Healing Hands Foundation

High Customer Retention

doTERRA claims to be the leader in the essential oil industry in setting the highest standards for oil purity and potency. The company boasts a 79-85 percent retention rate in its network of customers and independent distributors.

The company website states that the normal industry average is 10-15 percent retention. The company attributes high levels of overall satisfaction to the exceptional value of doTERRA products.

Membership Options

doTERRA allows people to join as a wholesale member or as a Wellness Advocate. Wholesale membership provides access to wholesale prices, which are 25-55 percent below retail prices. To become a wholesale member, you must purchase one of the following enrollment packs:

• Home Essentials Kit ($275)
  • Emotional Aromatherapy Diffused Kit ($195)
  • Family Essentials Kit ($150)
  • AromaTouch Diffused Kit ($150)
  • Natural Solutions Kit ($550)
  • Every Oil Enrollment Kit ($1950)
  • Cleanse and Restore Kit ($245)
  • Diamond Enrollment Kit ($2750)

Wellness Advocates must also choose one of these starter kits to enroll as a distributor.

doTERRA Startup Costs

doTERRA sells essential oils and related products through independent distributors the company refers to as Wellness Advocates. These Wellness Advocates are responsible for introducing, educating, and selling the products to the general public.

The startup cost, or the cost to become a Wellness Advocate, is an initial $35 fee. Wellness Advocates must also pay a $25 yearly renewal fee.

Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Products

doTERRA created its own testing process called Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade (CPTG). This testing process ensures that doTERRA's oils are of the highest quality and purity.

In order to meet these standards, products must be free from added fillers, harmful contaminants, and synthetic ingredients.

All of doTERRA's oil blends, oils, and other oil-infused products must also be rigorously tested for chemical composition standards and cross-tested using gas chromatography and mass spectrometry to make sure purity and composition are at exact standards.

Training and Support

The company provides a wealth of training, mentoring, and team-based incentives for its Wellness Advocates. New distributors start training with a six-week online course to teach them about the company and its products.

Quizzes are included at the end of each module to make sure individuals understand everything they need to know about their new business venture. doTERRA also provides free business tools such as PowerPoint presentations, sales scripts, and email and newsletter templates.

High Compensation Benefits

All Wellness Advocates earn 25 percent off retail. They also receive bonuses for recruiting new distributors. There are no monthly minimum order requirements; however, in order to receive commissions, a minimum of 100 Personal Volume is required.

The company also offers an option to earn 10-30 percent of your complete purchase in points redeemable for free doTERRA products.

Healing Hands Foundation

The essential oils company also participates in philanthropic efforts through its Healing Hands Foundation. The organization claims its mission is to bring hope and healing to the world in order for lives to be free of poverty and disease.

It also aims to assist impoverished countries to become more self-reliant. Contributions are collected from customers, employees, and Wellness Advocates to support the foundation in its global efforts.

The Bad

• FDA Issues
  • Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade is Trademarked by doTERRA
  • 62% of Distributors are Entry-Level Rank
  • Lawsuit Involving Synthetic Compounds

FDA Issues

doTERRA was investigated in 2014 by the United States Food and Drug Administration for medicinal claims that doTERRA distributors had allegedly been making on its websites and social media accounts.

Some of the alleged claims were in regards to curing Ebola, healing cancer, and treating neurological and heart disease issues among other medical treatment claims. The promotion and marketing of products without FDA approval as preventative or treatment measures for medical conditions violates the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.

The FDA issued a warning letter to doTERRA in 2014 and issued corrective action steps for the essential oils company to take in regards to this matter. doTERRA issued a statement of compliance with the United States Food and Drug Administration.

Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade is Trademarked by doTERRA

Another area of concern relates to the Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade claim from the doTERRA essential oil company. It appears that the certification is an objective measure from the company itself and holds no real industry merit.

It is a set of criteria they measure but comes across a bit misleading in its representations to the general public. However, while the term is trademarked by the company itself, further investigation shows that the process is actually validated by third-party labs.

In order to be CPTG qualified, every batch of bottled doTERRA oil is tested in these labs before being deemed pure.

62% of Distributors are Entry-Level Rank

According to doTERRA's 2018 income disclosure statement, 62% of distributors are entry-level, and 53% received compensation averaging $380 annually. This means 9% of Wellness Advocates received no compensation.

While these are better odds than many multi-level marketing companies, entry-level participants should realize that in some cases they will be unable to make back their investment within a year; the income disclosure statement reports revenue rather than profit.

Lawsuit Involving Synthetic Compounds

In 2017, a lawsuit spanning years between Young Living and doTERRA was settled and Young Living was made to pay damages for acting in bad faith. While this does not reflect negatively on doTERRA, countersuits within the case might affect public opinion of these companies.

Young Living and doTERRA sued each other for creating oils with synthetic, filler compounds. Dr. Robert Pappas was asked to testify and claimed he found synthetic compounds in Young Living's oils and alleged that Young Living's case against doTERRA was suspect. Both sides dropped this portion of the case.

It could be that doTERRA's oils contain no synthetic compounds, or this case and its ambiguous resolution could indicate otherwise. Prospective distributors should be aware of this conflict.

The Bottom Line

doTERRA overall appears to be a legitimate business opportunity in the health and wellness industry for individuals interested in the beneficial use of essential oils. The company adheres to strict rigorous scientific testing and its products are certified to be free from contaminants and artificial ingredients.

The company has an exceptionally high market retention rate in its industry. Business startup costs and yearly renewal are very low for a multi-level marketing company. The company also provides an excellent training program and a wealth of business tools for its Wellness Advocates.

The company boasts an excellent compensation plan with plenty of team-based bonuses and incentives. The health and wellness company has won several awards for its achievements in its industry. Wellness Advocates must purchase one of doTERRA's starter kits, which are expensive, when signing up.

Becoming a doTERRA consultant may be right for you, but we also recommend researching the opportunity and comparing it to other essential oil companies with MLM structure to ensure you've found your best match.

See Best Multi-Level Marketing Companies

October 10th, 2019 DETAILS

My son loves the defend oil. He says it helps him sleep at night our local true value store carries it and we are repeat customers.

ave
October 10th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I love the oils I can purchase from doTerra. It is a reliable company and the perk to receive 30% off your purchase if you maintain a monthly purchase is great. My family loves to use the more practical oils like lavender and breath.

Amy Boren
October 9th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

My dad is a rep for this company. It has been helpful when we have needed to get things and he gets a great discount.

Virginia Rosenthal
October 8th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I tried some of their oils because I had heard of all the hype from friends and family. I wasn't convinced of their healing properties so stopped using them. I do like the smells of the oils.

Derek Scoville
October 8th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

doTerra provides the best product using the best materials with the best labor. The effort they go into providing the best product makes it easy for me to proudly represent them as part of their sales force.

Rushie Gregory
October 4th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

My grandma is very invested in doTERRA and she loves it. Personally, I'm not into the multi-level-marketing programs, but she has had some success and is able to get great deals. I have used some of their products and they work really well, but they are expensive for the amount you're getting.

doctim
October 2nd, 2019 Linden, TX DETAILS

I am trying to resolve with Doterra changing me from a Wellness Advocate a Wholesale customer. They say I did it. I did not ! This will mean I will lose my commissions and also I can not sign anyone else up. I am a Doctor and wanted to enable one of my Patients to buy at a discount. That is when I found my downline and commissions were going to go to someone else that I never heard of. So if you are looking to Doterra as a Business, I would look elsewhere. If you just want to be a Wholesale customer, then that is okay.

Sherry Arnold
October 2nd, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS

Reps are not as obnoxious as other MLM companies. I find them to be more helpful and they don't pressure me. I LOVE the Deep Blue product!! We also use a few of the essential oils. Actually wish I knew more about oils.

Jaime
October 2nd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I don't use a lot of different oils, but the ones I do use frequently are from doTerra and are perfect for what I need. My favorites are the Meleleuca, the peppermint, and the Wild Orange.

Joy Hill
October 1st, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Great company and I love the oils. THe compensation plan is pretty complicated and not the most simple that I have come across. You really have to build deep to make any money

Madison Scott
September 23rd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Doterra has done amazing things for the community and the world around us. However, with it being an MLM there are many misconceptions and empty promises of what it can solve and resolve. If you want the facts stick to the website. As far as quality there aren't any oils that can beat Doterra.

Kristiane R Durfey
September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

doTerra is a great company and I do like some of their products but they are a bit out of my price range. There are only a couple of their oils that I am willing to spend my money on and I make sure I use them sparingly so they last. I'm sure they are a quality product but not a "cure all" for everything.

Darrin Henry
September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I use a lot of the doterra products for wellness and love them all. Doterra is a great company and does a lot for our community as well.

Campbell Blair
September 4th, 2019 Phoenix, AZ

I've only been gifted doTERRA, I think it's too expensive to buy on my own but I really have loved the ones I've been given. They have worked surprisingly well. The peppermint role helps my headaches so much.

Scotlynn Blair
August 28th, 2019 Phoenix, AZ

I really do think there is some reality to this company. Maybe it's placebo effect but it has always worked for me.

Sage Robertson
August 5th, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS

I love all doTERRA products! Especially their oils! Their oils are so easy to use and I fell like they actually help!

Lucy
July 15th, 2019 Hyrum, UT DETAILS

Oils smell so good and work so good. So calming and soothing. Not to expensive and last forever. Great to mix oils as well.

Paige Baldwin
July 11th, 2019 Wellsville, UT DETAILS

I’ve used doTERRA for about a year now and it’s been great. Their business is great and set up and run well. Their products are amazing and you definitely get your money’s worth.

Brooklyn May
July 11th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

The oils are amazing and work incredibly. They smell so good and are so calming and relieving. The cost per oil bottle is insane and not bad at all. Worth every penny.

Breanne Stanko
July 8th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

doTERRA oils are the best oils out there! So pure and natural! They work so well and smell so amazing. Especially the lavender and lemon. Great for headaches and stress.

Terra Stanko
July 8th, 2019 Hyrum, UT DETAILS

Oils are amazing, and work so well. My sister in law has a whole sale membership so I go through her to buy my oils. Great pricing and always have every oil available. I love the smell of the oils and they help with stress, anxiety, headaches, and even sleeping and calming.

Megan trauba
July 5th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

doTERRA has really good essential oils and I use them for different things. I really like the lavender one.

Lauren
July 3rd, 2019 Hyrum, UT DETAILS

I love doterra products, I think they work really well for a number of things including sleeping, headaches, and muscle pain. My aunt is a whole seller so I buy my doTerra from her. Not to expensive and the oils work well and smell so good. Love the Melaleuca, Lavender, and especially lemon. Super good to drop lemon drops in my water.

matthew
July 1st, 2019 Logan, UT

my fiancé uses these oils all the time. I had really bad blisters on the bottoms of my feet and she let me use her lavender and coconut mixture and I applied that multiple times a day to my feet and it help heal my blisters. they smell super good as well.

Whitney Stanko
June 28th, 2019 Smithfield, UT DETAILS

I love doTERRA, I love their oils. They smell super good and they work really well. Lavender is my favorite, and same with Lemon. Not too expensive.

Braden Stanko
June 27th, 2019 Smithfield, UT

Love the oils. My sister and family use them all the time. Great fo all sorts of things. Company is very well organized.

Rod Richardson
June 17th, 2019 Spanish Fork, UT DETAILS

doTERRA is five stars all the way! I've been with the company for over nine years and have traveled the world visiting the companies distributors and sourcing operations in dozens of countries. It's all legit and epic in its scope. doTERRA is the hands-down authority on essential oil distribution and use. Here are some facts that you probably won't come across online. First, the company has been serving its community since 2008. The executives have had years of experience with essential oils for years before launching doTERRA as well. Second, doTERRA has over 144 active hospital relationships working with their oils; 28 on-staff PhDs and researchers; a medical advisory board consisting of MDs and practitioners representing multiple disciplines. doTERRA has a database of over 7 million active users that document even the most minor incidents with essential oil use; they have formed a network of practitioners that receive special access to advanced seminars, and the company invests over $10 million annually on research projects. Plus, they have launched 3 of over 100 planned clinics that incorporate their CPTG oils in a revolutionary health care model that will drastically reduce the cost of health care for families. On the sourcing side, doTERRA has spent over $150,000,000 developing and securing its exclusive sourcing model. Co-Impact Sourcing is a model that not only provides its customers with the purest, most effective product available but allows farmers to earn a sustainable living while growing to doTERRA's stringent standards. Most essential oil products on the market today have synthetic additives or adulterations, which is understandable, granting that $7 billion more product is sold than actually grown. doTERRA's model employs over 100,000 impoverished farms lifting their standard of living and raising the economy in economically distressed areas of the world. doTERRA's purity standards are your safeguard to making sure your family has the safest and most pure products available. The MLM model is actually the best way to deliver this high-value product because it gives a customer a direct person, or a whole team of people to reach out to for assistance and help. Training and information are easily available and the company has hours and hours of recorded resources available to the newcomer. I would trust doTERRA with my life as we have!

Courtney Eames
June 11th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

I feel like a lot of the oils are overpriced. Every time I use doTERRA I feel like it burns my skin. I know many of my friends live by doTERRA but for me personally they have not been my favorite.

Emily Walker
June 10th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love the oils that doTERRA makes. They are so helpful for many different situations!

Nicole LeBaron
June 10th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I use doterra essential oils for several home remedies or just making my apartment smell good. I love how their essential oils are strong smelling because I can actually smell the scent distinctly.

Catherine
June 6th, 2019

Do Terra is based on lies and bad info from uneducated wellness reps who are only interested in profits and taking your money for massively overpriced essential oils, don’t be fooled by this company there are many more quality essential oils on the market at a far better price than DoTerra.

Christine Farmer
June 6th, 2019 Littleton, CO DETAILS

I have several doTerra products and I've been a consultant. I really like the products. When I was a consultant, you needed to spend $125/month to get Loyalty rewards. I did that for awhile but then just didn't need more products. One of the selling points of the oils is that you use such a small amount, it lasts a long time. As a consultant you can order products at 25% off. Anyway, I sold a few items but used it more personally. I think the products are overpriced if you do not at least get the discount. My sister is a consultant who has been more aggressive in signing up other consultants and selling and she does quite well.

Jacob Shaner
June 3rd, 2019

Their oils all smell very good, and my brother has had some success with their products. They recruited from my college and explained that they are starting a type of clinical trials. Pretty cool.

Sarah
May 29th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

I love doTERRA. I am obsessed with essential oils and I fully believe these are the best kinds of them. I used to not be able to sleep so I called their customer service and they helped me choose an oil that would help me.

Ethan Pedersen
May 28th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

doTERRA is a scam. 2 stars because at least they smell nice. But also, please avoid MLM's.

Hannah Anderson
May 24th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Products always smell good, and their customer service is helpful. For an essential oils company, they are one of the only ones who deliver in my opinion.

Nana Asiata
May 21st, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

Their oils are amazing! My family uses it for pretty much everything. From health regimens to cleaning supplies. This is a great investment for families!

BLF
May 20th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have been buying from doTerra for years now and I really like their oil products. I like that I can order online what I need and then pick it up from the store directly without a shipping charge. Their customer service is always available and helpful.

MICHELLE
May 16th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

Love the customer service. Any time I call with a question or an order, I always feel heard and important to the representative. The oils are always protected in the mail and I receive my orders promptly.

Reese
May 15th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

doTerra is a great company with great products. I have used Deep Blue and it works to take away pain and sooth and protect. The company has great products and a wonderful culture of helping and giving to the comunity. They also know their products and they really work in so many ways.

Karrie
May 15th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

I am hooked on doTERRA essential oils and love the level of service I get with them. For essential oils the prices are great and they have such a wealth of research behind their products that it makes me even more comfortable using them.

Kelcee Young
May 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love all the products doTERRA sells!!! I love how they don't only sell essential oils but they also sell chaptisck, bags, wooden boxes, and so much more!! They have great customer service and they are so kind to everyone!! Their products are always such good quality!!

Stephen M Depauw
May 13th, 2019 Wentzville, MO DETAILS

I have been with this company for almost 3 years and I love the products and I love the company and all they do for people around the world. I consider this company to be a ministry outreach by the way they run this company. I have never had a bad experience with the customer service their facilities are state of the art. I can't say enough good about this company

Katie
February 12th, 2019 DETAILS

I am a qualified aromatherapist of many years and a registered nurse. I do love doterra essential oils especially the blends. I am a wellness advocate and share my oil experience. I would never claim any EO could cure a disease. We still need doctors and modern medicine. Aromatherapy is a complementary therapy. I think advocates who do say this are dangerous. If a person wants to ingest an oil it is their responsibility to check if that oil can be and follow instructions. I will carry on sharing

Iryna
December 18th, 2018 New York, NY DETAILS

Extremely disappointing customer service after I've spent thousands of dollars on their website in the past year. After I moved, they shipped my order to the wrong (non-existing) address due to the bug on their own website form. To my immediate request to edit the address, they said it was too late. I had to wait 3 weeks (!!) for the order to ship across the country twice and return to them before they even considered returning my money. They never ever followed up with me so I had to constantly email them checking on status. Just terrible! After 3 weeks of me bugging them, they finally initiated a partial return and I am still waiting for the rest of the money. I am absolutely speechless and disgusted by their lack of professionalism. There was no admitting of their fault, no apology, no follow up, no escalation of a case and no survey about my customer service experience. In our day and age, this is just unacceptable.

Sanda
December 5th, 2018 DETAILS

I have been with the company for 2 years now and am still blown away every time I use their essential oils and see the results. I also changed my shopping habits and purchase my body care products, cleaner, and laundry detergent from doTerra! With loyalty program I actually get points back for shopping with them and use them for free products. The above mentioned concerns about CPTG not being a worldwide standard and certificate do not hold water in my opinion. If a company sees that the industry does not have a standard they need, it is in my opinion the company's moral obligation to set the standard by itself. And that's exactly what doTerra did here. And to ensure transparency the testing is done by an independent external company. The oils are pure, potent and actually great value for money. Just look at the price per drop. And due to the purity and potency this drops goes a long long way.

Kristina Toth
November 6th, 2018 DETAILS

I have been part of Doterra for almost a year now. I have nothing but the best to say about this company and it’s leaders. What’s the most important and stands out to me is the 3rd party testing. Doterra is the only Essenial Oil company that provides us with this guarantee. Meeting the founders has been life changing and learning about the Ethics and the Heart of DoTerra’s leaders makes me excited and hopeful for the future. Co-Impact Sourcing is what resonated with me the most. Employing those in need while supplying us with the highest quality oils on the market today. Doterra truly Changes Lives one Drop at a time ❤️

Lucy
October 31st, 2018 DETAILS

I'm a fairly new user of this company's products, namely the essential oils. I have had some pretty good results with their use. I have to admit, that I wasn't really keen on an MLM type of business, but I do fully believe in the health benefits of the oils, and while I'm slowly learning, I find that I can't stop talking about how much it's changed my life. I try to spread the word constantly!

Olena
September 13th, 2018

doTERRA is a science company. ​doTERRA essential oils are Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® essential oils. doTERRA Essential Oils are the medicinal grade essential oils. doTERRA's team of expert scientists and research partners have revolutionised the essential oil industry through state-of-the-art testing and unrelenting innovation. High integrity, honesty, care.

Katie Gullickson
September 5th, 2018 Henderson, NV DETAILS

So I had my loyalty set up to automatic because you need to have this set up in order to receive points with them as a advocate, no problem there. I get that. I've been a member for about 6 months now and this had happened before and they took care of it right away, maybe because it was for a small amount. So the payment went through on 8/24. But I called the day after on 8/25 to have them refund it and they informed that that it would take 3-5 business days. I called the next week on 8/28 to check on the status and make sure everything was okay. They ensured me that everything was okay and that they released the charges and to call my bank, which I did and they didn't see anything. I was understanding so I waited until about 2 weeks and called them and they transferred me to a specialist. They started emailing me requesting for a bank statement on the charges. They now just informed me that they need to see a statement from 8/25-9/10. And after I send the statement on the 10th it could take up to 1o business days for me to see the refund which they have been telling me since the beginning. Todays date is 9/4. I find this insane because it is almost a $300 charge, I never received the product and called the day after to refund.