Contact A Company$100 Satisfaction Guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

doTerra Logo

doTerra

verified
$100 Guarantee
Fast growing essential oils company with a very strong and faithful distributor base

doTERRA is a multi-level marketing health and wellness business in the essential oils industry. Its company headquarters are based in Pleasant Grove, Utah. The company's product line consists of over 100 essential oils, skin care, weight management, and nutritional supplement products. David Stirling is the founder of doTERRA, and former Young Living associate. The company consists of approximately 1,300 employees and over three million independent distributors. The business generates over $1 billion in global sales annually, and achieved the billion dollar mark in the first seven years. The company also has won numerous awards for its achievements in its industry, including 2013 Business of the Year from the mayor in Pleasant Grove, Utah.

The Good

• Independent Distributors
  • High Customer Retention
  • Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Products
  • Training and Support
  • Compensation
  • Healing Hands Foundation

Independent Distributors

doTERRA sells essential oils and related products through independent distributors the company refers to as Wellness Advocates. These Wellness Advocates are responsible for introducing, educating, and selling the products to the general public. Sign up costs are an initial $35 fee and $25 yearly to renew.

High Customer Retention

doTERRA claims to be the leader in the essential oil industry in setting the highest standards for oil purity and potency. The company boasts a 79-85 percent retention rate in its network of customers and independent distributors. The company website states that the normal industry average is 10-15 percent retention. The company attributes high levels of overall satisfaction with the exceptional value of doTERRA products to account for these excellent retention rates.

Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Products

doTerra created its own testing process called Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade (CPTG). In order to meet these standards, products must be free from added fillers, harmful contaminants, and synthetic ingredients. They must also be rigorously tested for chemical composition standards and cross-tested using gas chromatography and mass spectrometry to make sure purity and composition are at exact standards.

Training and Support

The company provides a wealth of training, mentoring, and team-based incentives for its Wellness Advocates. New distributors start training with a six-week online course to teach them about the company and its products. Quizzes are included at the end of each module to make sure individuals understand everything they need to know about their new business venture. doTERRA also provides free business tools such as PowerPoint presentations, sales scripts, and email and newsletter templates.

Compensation

All Wellness Advocates earn 25 percent off retail. They also receive bonuses for recruiting new distributors. There are no monthly minimum order requirements, however, in order to receive commissions a minimum of 100 Personal Volume is required. The company also offers an option to earn 10-30 percent of your complete purchase in points redeemable for free doTERRA products.

Healing Hands Foundation

The essential oils company also participates in philanthropic efforts through its Healing Hands Foundation. The organization claims its mission is to bring hope and healing to the world in order for lives to be free of poverty and disease. It also aims to assist impoverished countries to become more self-reliant. Contributions are collected from customers, employees and Wellness Advocates to support the foundation in its global efforts.

The Bad

• FDA Issues
  • Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade is Trademarked by doTERRA

FDA Issues

doTERRA was investigated in 2014 by the United States Food and Drug Administration for medicinal claims that doTERRA distributors had allegedly been making on its websites and social media accounts. Some of the alleged claims were in regards to curing Ebola, healing cancer, and treating neurological and heart disease issues among other medical treatment claims. The promotion and marketing of products without FDA approval as preventative or treatment measures for medical conditions violates the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. The FDA issued a warning letter to doTERRA in 2014 and issued corrective action steps for the essential oils company to take in regards to this matter. doTERRA issued a statement of compliance with the United States Food and Drug Administration.

Self Awarded Merit

Another area of concern relates to the Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade claim from the doTERRA essential oil company. It appears that the certification is an objective measure from the company itself and holds no real industry merit. It is a set of criteria they measure but comes across a bit misleading in its representations to the general public. However, while the term is trademarked by the company itself, further investigation shows that the process is actually validated by third-party labs. In order to be CPTG qualified every batch of bottled doTERRA oil is tested in these labs before being deemed pure.

The Bottom Line

doTERRA overall appears to be a legitimate business opportunity in the health and wellness industry for individuals interested in the beneficial use of essential oils. The company adheres to strict rigorous scientific testing and its products are certified to be free from contaminants and artificial ingredients. The company has an exceptionally high market retention rate in its industry. Business startup costs and yearly renewal are very low for a multi-level marketing company. The company also provides an excellent training program and a wealth of business tools for its Wellness Advocates. The company boasts an excellent compensation plan with plenty of team-based bonuses and incentives. The health and wellness company has won several awards for its achievements in its industry. We can recommend working with doTERRA, but we also recommend researching the opportunity to ensure it is the right fit for you.

Sanda
December 5th, 2018 DETAILS

I have been with the company for 2 years now and am still blown away every time I use their essential oils and see the results. I also changed my shopping habits and purchase my body care products, cleaner, and laundry detergent from doTerra! With loyalty program I actually get points back for shopping with them and use them for free products. The above mentioned concerns about CPTG not being a worldwide standard and certificate do not hold water in my opinion. If a company sees that the industry does not have a standard they need, it is in my opinion the company's moral obligation to set the standard by itself. And that's exactly what doTerra did here. And to ensure transparency the testing is done by an independent external company. The oils are pure, potent and actually great value for money. Just look at the price per drop. And due to the purity and potency this drops goes a long long way.

Kristina Toth
November 6th, 2018 DETAILS

I have been part of Doterra for almost a year now. I have nothing but the best to say about this company and it’s leaders. What’s the most important and stands out to me is the 3rd party testing. Doterra is the only Essenial Oil company that provides us with this guarantee. Meeting the founders has been life changing and learning about the Ethics and the Heart of DoTerra’s leaders makes me excited and hopeful for the future. Co-Impact Sourcing is what resonated with me the most. Employing those in need while supplying us with the highest quality oils on the market today. Doterra truly Changes Lives one Drop at a time ❤️

Lucy
October 31st, 2018 DETAILS

I'm a fairly new user of this company's products, namely the essential oils. I have had some pretty good results with their use. I have to admit, that I wasn't really keen on an MLM type of business, but I do fully believe in the health benefits of the oils, and while I'm slowly learning, I find that I can't stop talking about how much it's changed my life. I try to spread the word constantly!

Olena
September 13th, 2018

doTERRA is a science company. ​doTERRA essential oils are Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® essential oils. doTERRA Essential Oils are the medicinal grade essential oils. doTERRA's team of expert scientists and research partners have revolutionised the essential oil industry through state-of-the-art testing and unrelenting innovation. High integrity, honesty, care.

Katie Gullickson
September 5th, 2018 Henderson, NV DETAILS

So I had my loyalty set up to automatic because you need to have this set up in order to receive points with them as a advocate, no problem there. I get that. I've been a member for about 6 months now and this had happened before and they took care of it right away, maybe because it was for a small amount. So the payment went through on 8/24. But I called the day after on 8/25 to have them refund it and they informed that that it would take 3-5 business days. I called the next week on 8/28 to check on the status and make sure everything was okay. They ensured me that everything was okay and that they released the charges and to call my bank, which I did and they didn't see anything. I was understanding so I waited until about 2 weeks and called them and they transferred me to a specialist. They started emailing me requesting for a bank statement on the charges. They now just informed me that they need to see a statement from 8/25-9/10. And after I send the statement on the 10th it could take up to 1o business days for me to see the refund which they have been telling me since the beginning. Todays date is 9/4. I find this insane because it is almost a $300 charge, I never received the product and called the day after to refund.

Melissa Regier
August 30th, 2018 Jasper, MO DETAILS

I've been with doTERRA nearly 4 years now. I was highly skeptical that an oil on anything would be helpful. Boy, was I wrong. We use doTERRA oils exclusively and while we would go to the doctor if we need to we haven't had to go in nearly 4 years! I'm nearly 50 so we just do prevention appointments and that's it. doTERRA has saved us so much money! Customer service is excellent and their support for their advocates is second to none. Their vitamins are their best selling product and have a 100% money back guarantee, absolutely amazing!

Thomas Hullinger
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

doTerra has great products that really do work. I have used their products many times and they not only smell great, but work on so many different aches and pains that I have.

Lesa Burgess
August 20th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I feel like these oils are very pure. They really are quality products. However, they are pricey. They have seemed to really help at times and at other times they just don't at all. I would never use oils as the only source of aid for my family, but I think they are great to supplement with. Customer service as always been great.

Mindy Kempista
August 14th, 2018 Lincoln University, PA DETAILS

DoTerra is a trustworthy company with a decent compensation plan. They verify their oils and compensate farmers and their communities well. On top of that their oils are legit with medicinal properties and incomparable safety.

Kiera
July 10th, 2018 Kents Store, VA DETAILS

Incredible team of people who came together to start a company they could be proud to have their names on! Starting with a pure, indigenously-sourced, clean and chemically consistent essential oil that isn't filtered through greedy brokers, but purchased straight from the growers, this company has built a steady, unchanging compensation plan around its incredible product line that keeps cost down for the purchaser and encourages philanthropic generosity in the community formed around it. (sourcetoyou[dot]com) . Now, working with hospitals and universities around the country and globe to develop replicating results to be used in the medical community as well as homes around the world! I don't have to worry that the quality of the product is fluctuating because the broker used a different farmer or - worse! -diluted the product with a synthetic chemical! Only the purest product for me and my family!! At pennies per drop, when only a drop or two is needed at a time - this is the most cost effective product, especially when I know there won't be any adverse reactions or long-term consequences from using a toxic chemical in my home! :-D Best choice I've made and can't remember what I did before I found doTERRA! Advertised by word of mouth - only getting honest reviews from people you trust and know. Loyalty Program to *reward* you for regular orders - like cash back! -but NO obligation to order regularly at all! And cancel anytime (but who would want to? ;-) ) 30 money back guarantee My orders usually arrive in 2-3 business days.

Lynette Fowler
June 1st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I like their products and purchase items from them every month. Their customer service is great and I've never had a problem with returning anything that I have purchased. I will continue to use their products.

caroline grady platt
February 16th, 2018 Darien, CT DETAILS

Liked the products but had buyer's remorse due to the very high price. I feel like I could get very similar oils, well tested etc from Whole Foods for a lot less money (and Whole Foods always seems to be expensive). The consultant was extremely well versed and lovely. Quick shipping, Again it's just the price.

Tanja E
January 30th, 2018 DETAILS

I use oils with sarcoidosis they keep me on my feet! My doctors are stunned! These oils are 100% natural and fair trade, dõTERRA helps their farmers, builds schools for their children to provide in their education and builds hospitals. DõTERRA for me is the best caring company ever!

Paul Stewart
December 29th, 2017 DETAILS

Really amazing company .I think that the strength of doTerra in in their giving, they really contribute back to Humanity. That's why they are so blessed and will continue to be. Great products awesome compensation plan.

Cassidy Gundersen
December 19th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

I would NEVER use Doterra again. I used Doterra for years, but after studying about their safety and quality testing am highly disappointed. They use low grade E.O’s and they offer little to no training to their distributors which makes for a lot of unsafe use.

Lindsey
December 5th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I got some doTerra oils for my wedding. I thought that some of the oils worked well, like the peppermint - especially for sore throats! I have bought peppermint since then.

Donna Zegman
November 10th, 2017 Fort Lauderdale, FL DETAILS

Best products I have found that actually work thanks to the purity of the products. I absolutely love the Verage line and use all the herbal oils in my cooking like basil oregano, cilantro, thyme etc. Company sells the [products for you with there incentives. Customer service amazing! Delivery is quick with multiple shipping options. 100% Guarantee! Best compensation plan I found that is easy for people to understand and be successful at and you will not go broke trying to build this business!

Deb McFeely
September 5th, 2017

I have loved the Doterra products and it's customer service for years. The ethics of the company and the intent of having their members understand the products and safety for essential oil usage is game changing. I have used essential oils for years and have never seen such good results until I found this company. The company gives you all the tools you need to start learning and understanding the product. As business owners we have the responsibility to share about the products in a safe manner. I think Doterra is on the cutting edge of this. If there are people out there making claims and unbelievable promises they are not truly representative of the company culture. Seek the knowledge and it will be given to you. The customer service goes out of their way to help you understand. Now that essential oils are coming back and getting popular again there will be more outside sources that offer EO training and understanding. The company can give you great knowledge about their products but if you really want to be an expert you need to train yourself too. Outside training has helped me to appreciate the company even more. EO Safety has always been a part of the doterra company culture.

Jones C
July 31st, 2017

When my diffuser stopped working, Doterra redirected me to contact their supplier by email. Eight weeks later, the supplier hasn't even acknowledged my mails or that sent by Doterra on my behalf. I think it is quite pathetic considering that even if it is a dollar's worth of purchase, a seller on eBay responds within 24 hours and Doterra's single-man supply company doesn't even respond to Doterra. Doterra's own customer service has been rude, with promises of return calls from their senior management not being kept. Stay away from these scammers!

Breanne hope
July 5th, 2017

I am a new wellness advocate, I work as hard as the average person (I have an 8 month old baby). And its only taken me 2 months to stop having to pay out of pocket for my monthly purchases. I will be making profit in my third month!

Alexandra Nánai-Hutton
June 26th, 2017

Doterra is an atypical MLM company, I have been involved with 3 other in the past. What I appreciate is their sense of balance and opennes towards all customers,even if they buy only for themselves or are building the business. I have never felt pushed,trying to be brainwashed.The ethical standards are high and which is rare,the company is scientific and humble at the same time. Also the compensation plan is balanced,meaning that you can earn some in the beginning when it is very hard and if you continue the work you have sustained income. The product is one that truly speaks for itself, I really never encountered any case where the advised essential oil or combination did not work out. So the product sales itself, one only needs to be kind enough to learn about those and sharing comes automatically.

Mark Ewen
June 9th, 2017

I've been involved in mlm since the 1990's and decided in 2010 to leave a company where I was already successful, to join dōTERRA. I reviewed their products, compensation plan and personally went in to meet with the owners of dōTERRA to have many other questions answered. I believed what I heard and made a decision to join them. They have exceeded expectations. They're the #1 Essential Oil Comapny in the world. I could go on and on! Do your due diligence. You'll be impressed! Definitely worth your time to use the products and you'll find the business both thrilling and rewarding if you choose that path too!

LeeAnn Friend
May 23rd, 2017

I have been using doterra now for 4 years. Nothing but great results ! The company standards are very high ! The are a science company, always doing research on how they can supply the consumer with only the best. I think it's a no brainer if Hospitals like John Hopkins Hospital, Vanderbilt, Duke and 111 other health facilities are training and only using Doterra that says it all !

Darlene Williamson
May 2nd, 2017 Russellville, AR

First, I am a Wellness Advocate with doTERRA so some may think I am biased. However, I have been involved in four other direct sales companies so do have a basis of comparison. doTERRA has the most honorable executive team I have ever met, the best customer service I have ever experienced, the best compensation plan, and the best product that anyone can be proud to represent that is helping people worldwide!

Louise Podlle
April 24th, 2017

False advertising of the healing properties of essentials and the recommendation to ingest oils for health benefits that are unsubstantiated are dangerous to the public. This company is a MULTI_LEVEL company that sells multi level marketing, the oils are the door prize. Their representatives, or distributors, prey on the "Do-Gooder" side of (mainly) women who want to work from home and sell natural products that are good for the entire earth. MOST of their claims are false and many are outright dangerous. I had to convince a friend to not ingest a highly corrosive oil, which she did anyway after we talked and burned her throat badly and her her esophagus. Dangerous, misleading information, false advertising and lying about other oils companies quality of oils puts my rating of this company at ZERO.

Kenneth Lin
March 22nd, 2017 West Covina, CA

First of all, it's not a binary system but a unilevel system. The compensation plan offers short term, mid term and long term income potentials. Company processes paycheck weekly!!! Direct deposit possible. Products are just SOOOOO good!!! Love the co-impact sourcing that really helps the farmers. I believe in the company value and how ethical they run it. No wonder it's been ranked #1 on other lists. I believe your score of 7.4 is too low for this company.

Paul M Holmes
March 15th, 2017 Lakeland, FL

A phenomenal company on every level. Stands by their ethos and mission statement.

Kathy Selby
February 7th, 2017 Rivesville, WV

I am 62 and these products are amazing and work. I don't need any other proof than that. I only share my experiences and when it works for you too,. Then they get what they want when they want. It is that simple. Love the product customer service and the 100% money back policy. It just don't get easier than that. I also gained so many relationships, true friends that have needs for the product.

Samantha Smith
January 23rd, 2017 Danville, KY

A great, caring, and respectable company with high integrity, high standards, and high goals for the future. It's important to me that they have the very best grade of oils. Because I eat them!

Maggie Dubois
December 4th, 2016

DoTerra customer service is amazing. They always go above and beyond to make the customer happy. They also have an incredible product and terrific compensation plan.

Sam
July 7th, 2016

Very high level integrity, focus on environmental sustainability, ethics and humanitarian aid. Excellent customer service. Excellent training and support. Fantastic products - well priced, accessible

Stacy
June 24th, 2016 Port Orange, FL

This company is amazing! From their values and integrity to their compensation plan and product they have really set a standard above all in my opinion. They truly want to change the world for the better and give 100% support to their wellness advocates. The products are truly the best out there. This company works extremely hard to ensure that. CPTG isn't just a marketing scheme, it's a standard they hold themselves to with the help of third party scientists in an unregulated industry. Their employees are amazing as well and have high job satisfaction rates just because of how great the owners are to work for and that's straight from Forbes magazine!I can't say enough good about them! Everyone should be using these products because even if there wasn't a business side, they are that amazing and effective! Love love love doTERRA!

Lynette K Weller Martz
June 20th, 2016 Etters, PA

I love the products. Items come quickly threw the mail.

Sharon Schafer
June 6th, 2016 MI

I have always had great customer service and wonderful representatives to help with any issue I have had. They resolve them very quickly, phones answered promptly. Not like calling other services where you have recorded messages . They have a great compensation plan. Alot of people are not planning on doing the business until they see how they change people's lives. They see how much fun they have. The company is run and owned by 7 of the most wonderful people I have ever met. I have been in a few MLM's this company has such integrity. I have never been with a company with his mich integrity and they walk their talk!!! They are transparent in all areas ans truly love and are grateful for all their WA's. I could go on and on, this is one great company. So glad I came to this company from another MLM and left a big check behind to be a part of this company. Best choice ever!!!

Markay
April 25th, 2016 Yreka, CA

Best compensation plan ever!! Quality products you can stand behind. Extensive training available. Healing Hands helps communities thrive. They treat their employees and Wellness Advocates VERY well. Just FYI, the "other" oil company was WARNED by the FDA as well. doTERRA has a compliance program in place now and trains Wellness Advocates in appropriate verbiage. Best MLM I have ever been involved with!

Nanine Gallo
April 11th, 2016 Wyckoff, NJ

Great Company., Honest. Transparent, and the products work! Have saved money on docs visits. Have helped my loved ones and friends. Customer service is wonderful. The education and learning materials the company provides is excellent. Friendly, knowledgeable an honest people. Compensation is wonderful. I never would have thought I would actually be earning additional income by sharing with others. It's been a blessing.

Stacee Villa
April 4th, 2016 TX

I have nothing but compliments for this company. Not only have the products changed my life for the better, but their customer service is outstanding!

Cassie Hayes
March 31st, 2016 Dundee, IL

We've been involved with another MLM before, and after we left that one I was keeping my eyes open for other opportunities. Here are the reasons I love doTERRA: 1. The products are an amazing quality and really work! (i was skeptical until I tried them.) Plus, the need for them is sustainable. 2. People buy the product first because they like it, and eventually choose to share with others, which ends up building a business, unlike other companies, where people buy the product in order to build a business. 3. It does not cost anything extra to build a business. If you have a wholesale account, which is the way most people buy the product, you can choose to start earning at any time. 4. You can build on a very small budget. The only requirement to earn is buying a small quota of oils every month. 5. The product & business support is FREE, as well as your own personal website and back office. 6. Customer service is always polite, helpful, and solves any issues to the best of their ability. They fix whatever problems they encounter (for example, a leaky bottle arriving in a shipment is immediately replace). 7. Other than some profit sharing which comes at the higher ranks, brand new wellness advocates have the EXACT SAME earning potential as those who have been building for a longer period of time. I never thought I'd be someone succeeding in network marketing. Now our income from doTERRA covers our mortgage and it's only going up! Definitely excited for the future of this company and my family!

Katie Prueter Hoffman
March 31st, 2016 Pinellas Park, FL

I have been a Wellness Advocate and doTERRA oil user for a year and a half now. I absolutely love this company. As a single mom of 3 I had a limited income but could still afford my oils. With the use of oils my family has saved money on other medical costs that we no longer have so it was an easy decision and we are much healthier and happier. It's also been easy to sell and make commissions which cover the cost of my monthly orders so becoming a business builder was a perfect opportunity for me. The essential oils are the highest quality and you know this by the way you feel after smelling or using them. The leadership of the up-lines and management teams is impeccable and the training is awesome as well. I have never met more family friendly and family oriented people. My team truly has become my best friends and family! This company has changed my and my families lives definitely for the better!

Dawn Weeks Green
March 25th, 2016 Chicago, IL

I have always received a great deal of support from my upline in product training and business training. I only work this business part time, but I still find it easy to sell the products. I have been associated with several other MLM companies just to use the products. This is the first company that the product sells itself. Customer service is very good and makes it easy to answer question.