With its original product released in 1959, Amway has sought to be seen as the global leader in the health and beauty industries. Amway's fundamentals established by its founders are freedom, family, hope, and reward. The Michigan-based company believes its distributors will achieve happiness through earned success. Its product line includes weight management shakes, eye and lip care, household cleaners, laundry detergent, and more. Amway prides itself in being a family company with a global management team in place to support independent distributors. Amway hopes to help people start their own business with the promise of access to exclusive products, a low startup cost, and a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee. People interested in Amway's health and beauty products can choose to become an Amway independent business owner or be an Amway customer.
- Money-back Guarantee
- Glassdoor Ratings
- Endorsements and Sponsorships
Amway has a $62 registration kit with items needed to get started. This registration kit has a 100 percent money-back guarantee for the first 90 days. The kit comes with the following:
- Step-by-step guide to help distributors understand the business, products, training resources, and details on bonus programs
- Marketing support
- Direct sales tips
People who choose to become Amway independent business owners will be part of a network of more than three million people who have chosen to do the same.
Endorsements and Sponsorships
For people who value high-profile endorsements and sponsorships, the Amway Center Sports and Entertainment complex in Orlando, Florida is the home court to the Orlando Magic. The multi-level marketing company not only hosts an NBA team at its flagship center, it also hosts popular performers such as Ed Sheeran. Amway also has number of celebrity athlete ambassadors including:
- Kirk Cousin, professional football player
- Adreian Payne, professional basketball player
- Chris Harris Jr., professional football player
- Rich Gannon, retired professional football player and sports commentator
- Allie Lyn Dragoo, cyclist
- Trent Murphy, professional football player
- Canadian Men's National Soccer Team
- Canadian Women's National Soccer Team
Amway also has several notable partnerships with companies such as:
- Neiman Marcus
Amway's time in business has not been without controversy. The multi-level company is not new to dealing with lawsuits. One lawsuit in the last ten years resulted in Amway paying $56 million to settle a case alleging it operates a pyramid scheme. Amway agreed to the deal to close a 2007 class-action suit. Here are some of the accusations Amway has received in its more than 50 years of business:
- Amway's kingpin companies that sell "motivation and training" products to recruits are part of an illegal pyramid scheme.
- Amway criminally violates federal racketeering law
- Amway violates California's "endless chain" law
- Amway deliberately deceives consumers to enroll in the pyramid scheme in which they inevitably suffer financial loss
- Amway commits wire fraud and mail fraud
Although Amway pitches that people can be financially free through its multi-level marketing model, the number of distributors who are able to generate a reliable income on a full-time basis may be lower than some expect. Here are the statistics:
- About 10 percent of all U.S. direct sellers work full time and are the highest earners
- About three percent of all American direct sellers earn more than $50,000 per year
- About six-tenths of one percent make more than $100,000 per year
Amway's level of retention can also be discouraging since less than 41 percent of its distributors are active. One source says that Amway's payouts to distributors shows that more than 99 percent of all who sign up never earn a profit.