Ambit Energy

Ambit Energy Logo

Ambit Energy

Founded in 2006 and headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Ambit Energy is an electric and gas services company. Ambit Energy, whose mission is "to be the finest and most respected retail energy provider in America," has over 350,000 independent distributors and generates over $1.5 billion in global revenue each year.

Forever Living Logo Forever Living ›

9.0

Overall
Score

doTERRA Logo doTERRA ›

8.1

Overall
Score

Shaklee Logo Shaklee ›

7.5

Overall
Score

Ambit Energy Logo Ambit Energy ›

5.2

Overall
Score

The Good

• Low Startup Costs
  • Commissions and Bonuses
  • No Fee to Switch
  • Company Website
  • Power Payback Program

Low Startup Costs

Individuals who are interested in Ambit Energy's business opportunity can join as a marketing consultant for a one-time fee of $75, plus $24.95 per month for website access, which costs significantly less than it used to.

There is no annual renewal fee.

Marketing consultants receive a business builder kit, a personal website, access to the company's back office management tool, and consultant support group access.

Consultants are encouraged to sponsor two marketing consultants and develop an initial team of six consultants.

Commissions and Bonuses

The compensation plan provided by Ambit Energy offers multiple ways for consultants to earn an income.

Consultants have the opportunity to receive jump start bonuses, team builder bonuses, and leadership bonuses. Distributors who enroll four customers within the first four weeks of joining are eligible to receive $100.

Consultants who enroll customers with larger energy bills have the capability to earn more money in residual income.

No Fee to Switch

There is no fee to switch to the utility service provided by Ambit Energy. Additionally, the company gives individuals the opportunity to receive free energy by referring customers to switch to Ambit Energy.

The utility company takes the average of the bills paid on time each month and credits that amount to the distributor's energy bill.

Company Website

Consumers in service areas covered by Ambit Energy can view rates and plans by entering their area code on the company's website.

Additionally, consumers can manage their accounts online and make automatic payments.

Power Payback Program

Texas customers are able to conserve energy and prevent rolling blackouts through the company's Power Payback program.

Ambit Energy will alert customers when periods of high electricity demand are coming up so that they can adjust their thermostats accordingly and turn off any unnecessary appliances.

Customers whose energy usage is lower than average during these periods will receive a bill credit of $1 for every kilowatt-hour saved.

The Bad

• Contracts
  • Expensive Variable Rates
  • Limited Availability

Contracts

Ambit Energy generally requires one- or two-year fixed rate contracts for its utility services. When the contracts expire, services are automatically switched to a variable rate plan unless consumers manually renew the fixed rate plan.

This is explicitly stated in the contract, but some consumers have reported that independent distributors did not mention it to them.

Expensive Variable Rates

The variable rate plans are typically much more expensive than the fixed rate plans.

Limited Availability

Ambit's energy program is not yet available in all markets. This may make it too difficult for interested consumers to find a sponsor in their local area.

In addition, the payouts in the compensation plan vary by regional markets. Distributors in colder markets where energy bills are higher tend to have greater compensation payouts than those in warmer regions.

The Bottom Line

Ambit Energy is a multi-level marketing company that offers electric and gas utility services. Consultants are given the opportunity to save money on their energy bills and earn income by referring others to join as customers. The cost to join as an independent consultant is relatively low.

However, Ambit Energy does require fixed-rate contracts that automatically switch to more expensive variable-rate plans at the end of the fixed rate term. Additionally, the company's service area is limited.

View Best Multi-Level Marketing Companies

3.8

Oseni
February 27th, 2019 Palestine, TX DETAILS

Ambit energy has suddenly become day light robber, hidden charges, unknown charges, and sudden increase in rate without justification. Worse of it, you pay $200 if you stop using them. I am serous fed up with their charges. Apart from ambit energy charges, oncor will also charge you separately, confusing people. Thank God we are alternative to switch to. You days are numbered. The most painful thing is that I have told some of my friends to sign up in the past. Those people are calling me too as if I work with ambit.

Lisa Mcadams
January 31st, 2019 Mashpee, MA DETAILS

True to the world to help out friends family and keep u positive to save and make better .

Bill Anderson
October 16th, 2018 Hutto, TX DETAILS

I was approached to join Ambit and was seriously considering it. there sales pitch is great. I decided to try the service before I actually started trying to sell there product. I have been in sales my entire adult life and will not sell something that I do not 100% believe in. I was with ambit energy for 6 months. Their customer service is terrible! Yesterday I was on the phone for 58 min. The first 40 were waisted on hold waiting for a live person to answer my billing question. Once I got a live person lets just say that English is not their first language. They are relentless with there payment schedule. There is no leniency with there short due dates. Typically I pay my bill within a week of receiving it. EVERY month I got late charge and threat of having my services disconnected. After this last experience with waisting an hour to get a simple question answered I have changed providers. I was able to sign up for service with a new provider in only about 5 minutes and getting a better rate.

Donna T
May 16th, 2018 New Bedford, MA DETAILS

You pick six month plan and they give you the higher rate 12 months.. Try calling can't get through. Why they have you pick the plan you want and they pick what benefits them. I will tell everyone I know what a scam they are. Play it safe,stay away from Ambit Energy.

Travis Johnson
October 11th, 2017 Glenwood, MD

Beware! Ambit energy promised that I would never pay more than my local supplier of BGE when I signed up. It is October and I just discovered that my contract was up this past January. They apparently notified me by mail and e-mail which I did not receive. Not having responded to the un-received contacts they felt it prudent to increase my cost nearly 100% from .08 pkwh to .16 pkwh. Over the past 10 months through legal means ambit took over $1000 from my family compared to what I would have paid with BGE. In response they said if I signed up for another 12 months they would make the new reduced rate retroactive for 1 month. In other words, let's give back less than 10% of what we charged over the BGE price over the past 10 months. Beware of this predatory company.

Patrick Beaudoin
July 18th, 2017 Cambridge, MA

This is a good opportunity !!! The variable rates that people complain about come as a result of not renewing the fixed rate at the end of the term even when they have received ample notices from Ambit or the registering consultant. What People don't realize is typically the incumbent Power supplier does that for the customer without notice. With Ambit the upline consultant is responsible (but not required) to notify and assist the customer to renew their fixed rate term and most of the time its a better rate than the majority of other suppliers. Our largest challenge is getting people to understand they need to supply some level of customer service. If you want a large business be a servant leader and take care of the customer. We didn't win 12 JD Power awards for nothing.

Maxine PERRY
June 29th, 2017 Temple, TX

I have been with them 5yrs with a 200.00 deposit..and their were times when it was hard but i always paid my bill and haver never been cut off..recently i moved and for a year due to a better job i was paying by the due date..i calked to confirm and was told yes ..by the 13th month i would receive my deposit back towards my bill each mth till i reached my full deposit..that was in may ending of 12mths of ontime payments...and so how about after paying my may bill they sent a second bill in same month of closing of old address..which i did not recieve till the neighbor gave it to me..and by that time it was passed due..so they cancelled my refund after telling me i had meet all requirements...I am truly upset and disappointed in this company and WOULD never ever recommend them to any one..and my friends that i have recommended i will be talking to them..BEWARE this company only TAKES!!

Scott H
April 13th, 2017 San Angelo, TX

After being both a customer for Ambit and a consultant I have found them to be a great company who values are high. They want to be the best at what they do and will not sacrifice their own values to do it. The owners and employees work together to make it great for customers and consultants. They give customers free electricity and pay their consultants good. Highly recommend this company.

Matt
March 22nd, 2017 Boston, MA

Over charging, apologies given and no refund. Agents are friendly though

Alex Flink
November 21st, 2016 Chatsworth, CA

They kept my service on even when I moved and a new tenant moved in to that apartment with a different energy company and they kept charging me. I had removed my billing payment information and didn't renew the service, but they auto-switched to a variable plan without contacting me and then tried to back charge me. After finally calling to "officially" cancel the service, I explained this and they seemed to agree. Fast forward 6 months later, with no other form of contact and having moved to a completely different state, I receive a "final notice" letter saying the balance owed had tripled in late fees and they were going to put a collections agency after me. All the representatives I spoke with were friendly, albeit completely unhelpful. I wouldn't recommend this energy company to my worst enemy.

Tim Hoch
November 14th, 2016 Butler, PA

Best company I've ever been associated with....treated me with great respect and always made me aware of my status with them....GREAT RATES ...they allowed me away to earn free energy and be able to run my home with free energy for three years now...love it

Melanie D
October 13th, 2016 Arlington, TX

I love Ambit Energy. I am so close to my short term goal that my long term goal will be a piece of cake. I made Regional in less than 6 months.

Ronda Miller
September 26th, 2016 Zanesville, OH

I have referred 15 customers to Ambit and I now get free electric. Not to mention that I got a vacation package for joining. I really have to question if this review was written by someone with a bias. This review states that "Ambit "offers one to two year contracts". Ambit does not have contracts. This is why I became a customer, at any time, if I feel that I am not being treated fairly I can switch to another energy provider. I am currently enrolled in a 6 month fixed rate, but that means Ambit guarantees me a fixed rate for 6 months, if I choose to stay that entire time. When the 6 months is over, yes, the rate will default to a variable if I do not renew, BUT, I've always had a variable!. The incumbent provider in Ohio has always charged variable rates. People hear "variable" and panic, but most of us have always been charged a variable rate; no on paid attention - we just paid our bills, because we did not have a choice in energy provider, now we do. Why people are saying they have a problem contacting Ambit to renew their rate makes no sense! Every customer gets a free website, the website can be used to renew your rate 24/7. But if a customer Needs to talk to someone at Ambit, I don't believe they have had a problem. I've never had a problem reaching someone, nor has anyone I know.

Toni
September 24th, 2016 Chicago, IL

I love Ambit energy it has given me the opportunity to come out of my comfort zone and become successful, I love helping people and Ambit gives me the opportunity to help change other peoples lives. There are always complaints with companies just look at other utilities companies that have been in business for years before deregulation we complain to until our tough could not speak but nothing was ever done because they were the only game in town but now we have Ambit and it is a company of integrity and I am proud to be apart of the Ambit family

Inna
September 19th, 2016 Waukegan, IL

This company open the world for me. Make me step out of my comfort zone and meet amazing people.

Mark P
September 7th, 2016 Palatine, IL

Ambit Energy has brought much change in the way people used their time and money. As, a company with much vision and leading the market in this industry in natural gas and electricity. Being one of the top 100 companies around the world. I, as a customer admire the great achievements of a small company with a big heart in this big industry. As, a consultant, I am, very greatful for the opportunity to be part of a better future in this world. Not only for me but for many in this life. The road is paved, the path is clear, I know that we are near. Near to win. Near to joy. All I can say now is we can rejoice. Hey, hey hurray goooo Ambit Energy.?

Lennie Dorion
August 29th, 2016 Bangor, ME

We have been a customer of Ambit Energy for 18 months now. We are Independent Business owner with Ambit Energy. In my business office I have a 30 day renewal notice & a 14 day renewal notice. We train our business partners to contact their customers when these renewals come up. To help our customer receive the best rates possible.

Larry Malone
July 25th, 2016

As stated in many reviews, no company is perfect. What I found is a company that stands behind their word to their customers and their distributors. Keep in mind 570 compaints out of 1.5 million customers. Not a bad ratio. I have been a happy customer for 4 years and happy distributor for 2.5 years.

John
July 13th, 2016 Olney, MD

No business is perfect. Ambit is just better!

Beth Weaver
June 7th, 2016 Wooster, OH

Love the incentive Ambit gives their customers. The compensation plan they give to their business owners is absolutely incredible! Start up is so affordable! Get paid for switching customers on a bill they have to pay every month!

Jose C
May 12th, 2016

This company is a great company to be in. Success is here if you put the work. People are recognized for their hard work and the compensation plan is amazing it lets the new people earn money fast. I am a proud representative of Ambit Energy and would not change this company from any out there.

Stacey Louis
May 6th, 2016 Houston, TX

This company is life changing with wonderful leaders who desire nothing but the best for the customers and consultants.

Shane E.
March 19th, 2016 Leominster, MA

Customer Support is strong. The previous complaints were valid, but the consumer was quickly compensated for failed notification systems they had in place. Thus has been corrected. Service has treated me great so far

MARK
December 10th, 2015 Friendswood, TX

Ambit Energy had everything I was looking for in a business. We sell what everyone already uses, we offer a fair price, and as a consultant I earn a very nice residual income.