Philips Lifeline

Call Now Visit Site

Philips Lifeline verified Companies can verify their Best Company profile through contacting us. Once a company profile has been claimed and verified by Best Company, we work with the company to ensure the information on our site is as accurate as possible.

Psychologist and gerontologist, Andrew S. Dibner founded Lifeline Systems in 1974 to give elderly persons a viable solution to getting emergency medical help while living alone. The company initially sold its services to commercial entities, such as hospitals and other healthcare facilities, eventually transitioning to selling directly to consumers. Lifeline Systems became Philips Lifeline in 2006 when it was acquired by the Philips company, adding its products to their home care line. Today, Philips Lifeline remains the top medical alert service in the United States, having served over seven million customers.

The Good

• Price
  • Long-wearing Battery
  • Waterproof Devices
  • Customer Service
  • Monitoring
  • Optional Installation Assistance
  • Medical Dispensing Service
  • Voice Extension Console
  • Lockbox

The major highlight of Philips Lifeline's medical alert system is its Fall Detection feature. This feature picks up more than 95% of falls. Customers have a choice of several safety alarm products, including:

• HomeSafe Standard with AutoAlert Help Button (for in and around the home)
  • HomeSafe AutoAlert (for in and around the home)
  • GoSafe Mobile Alert System (for on-the-go protection away from home)
  • Response App (for Smartphone users)

All systems come with a Help Button Pendant, a Communicator Unit, and 24/7 access to a U.S.-based Response Center.

Price

Depending on the product subscription selected, Philips Lifeline charges anywhere from $13.95-$54.95 per month for round-the-clock monitoring and emergency dispatch services.

Long-wearing Battery

Lifeline automatically replaces batteries when needed. Backup batteries have a life of 30 hours.

Waterproof Devices

Works in bath or shower where falls are common.

The company's medical monitoring center can accommodate more than 200 languages.

Monitoring

Customer service associates are available to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 365 days a year to handle emergencies or just answer questions.

Optional Installation Assistance

Upon request, Lifeline can send a skilled technician to your home to ensure that everything is installed properly and that the system is securely connected to the monitoring center.

Medication Dispensing Service

Includes a dispenser button for the medication and an audio reminder when it's time to take each dose.

Voice Extension Console

Increases the two-way speakerphone voice communication to a larger area, allowing you to place the voice extension console in a different area of your home from the main console.

Lockbox

In the case of an accident, minor or major, Lifeline can give the combination of the lockbox to whomever customers designate to enter their home to assist them, whether that's family, neighbors, or emergency services.

The Bad

• Range/Distance Limitations
  • System Installation Caveat
  • Limited Product Information

Their base price is average in comparison to the rest of the industry, but the add-ons for addition equipment/buttons can add up. One additional button may cost you $10 a month in addition to your regular bill. There have been some complaints about the system and equipment not responding to alerts during emergencies; however, we cannot substantiate this with customers.

Range/Distance Limitations

The HomeSafe Unit only covers up to 500 ft, which compared to other companies in its niche who offer up to 1300 ft., is pretty small. The company also warns (in small print) that the range in and around your home must be tested. GoSafe mobile alert system is covered anywhere with AT&T service, but the range varies depending on cell tower coverage in that particular area.

System Installation Caveat

The optional installation help does cost a one-time fee. You can also have the equipment mailed to you so you can set it up yourself for no additional cost. There is also an additional one-time fee for the voice extension console and the lockbox service.

Limited Product Information

Philips Lifeline does present adequate product information on their website, but some information is lacking transparency, such as warranty information, additional fees for things like activation and equipment fees, and backup battery life.

The Bottom Line

Philips Lifeline is a brand that most people recognize and the quality of their equipment is part of the reason why. They have a trusted reputation for building quality medical alert systems that include the best technologies and design all in one. This company uses AT&T networks to connect to Mobile or GPS Systems. Philips Lifeline subscribers can enjoy more confidence and peace of mind, even while they're away from home.

Call our recommended rep over at Philips Lifeline below.

31 Philips Lifeline Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

July 13th, 2017 Milwaukee, WI

My Mother fell recently and Philips lifeline sent the rescue team to the wrong address. I had changed your address back to her home state after she spent the winter in the south with me. They sent them to the address in the south. I corrected it with them then rechecked in a week and they still had the address wrong. Thank goodness I am one of the responders on her account and was able to get someone to her house to assist her. I only found out about the mistake because a neighbor stopped them from breaking down my door because he knew we were out of town.

July 1st, 2017 Canton, OH

All checked items ave been dealt with through time. Very dependable!

June 18th, 2017

My mother's device that had fall detection in it failed. They sent a replacement that looked the same but didn't have fall detection in it. We found out the hard way yesterday.

June 10th, 2017 Moscow, ID

I have been well satisfied with my unit. Had numerous trips to ER since purchase which came to me thru a local nursing home center. Actually get check-in calls when my necklace was too active during the night when I got up for a bathroom visit so it is a good unit for me. Works well in my area as far as I know and very well for me at any rate. They came one day and even told me my battery needed changing and they changed the necklace more than once too. I NOW do not need a land line for it tho still have one which I wouldn't let go of for any reason. Highly recommend my Phillip's unit. Local ambulance came several times when called since I got the unit.

2 3

June 4th, 2017

Have called customer service three times trying to get the backup battery service, it's been out over a month. Each call was promised a service call but no one has replied.

4 0

May 30th, 2017

I had the regular service 2 weeks and fell two times within 3 weeks.I then decided to to obtain the "fall" service which saved me from a serious fall where I blacked out. The emergency response came and took me to ER. I could have laid in bath room a long time before I was found if not for FALL button..

3 1

May 28th, 2017

No problems. Only one emergency. Great service!

2 1

May 7th, 2017

I upgraded my service to the GPS option. I've fallen several times and it called me no matter where I was. I live in IL and was in Phoenix by myself staying in a hotel. I fell on the ceramic floor in the bathroom. I was able to get up and knew I didn't have any injuries so I didn't push the call button. In a matter of a few minutes I heard a voice clearly say my name and then said "Doris, you fell didn't you." Yes I did. I was shocked with the speed in which they called me. I was in Phoenix with my home base in IL and the person calling me was in Boston. That is the service I hoped for and they delivered. I would not be without my GPS system. I can't say enough about Phillips Lifeline.

4 1

April 13th, 2017 Charlotte, NC

My family used this for our father and it was an awesome product. Dad fell a number of times and within a few seconds Phillips Lifeline was calling his house. They also notified me or my sister. There was never any issue of range and even worked in Dad's back yard. This product worked so well that my husband and I got the same system for his mother in Connecticut. The pendent or wristband is fully waterproof so it can be worn in the shower and never has to come off. When my dad finally had to go into assisted living, Phillips made it easy to return the equipment and stopped the billing immediately.

2 1

March 21st, 2017 Tampa, FL

When deciding on an alert system, I spoke with a representative of LifeLine and thought they had what I needed for my 91-year old mother. However, when I received the system, the agreement stated I needed a land line. I explained I needed a mobile system since she stays at my sisters part of the time. I was told I could send it back if it was not what I needed, which I did. When Life Line called, I explained why I sent it back and was told I would have to pay $50 (I was told there was no cancellation fee). Luckily I paid no money up front. The person on the phone became very angry wanting to know why I didn't call the before I sent it back. Because the unit did not meet my needs, when I clearly explained the situation, I didn't feel I needed to contact them. This was one of the rudest people I have every talked to and he insisted they would bill me any way. Send the invoice and then when it is not paid go ahead and turn it over to a credit agency to collect from my 91-year old mother. I would never do business with a company who harasses you because you declined their service. I actually had to hang up on him. I've been in customer service a long time and you never speak that way to a customer - right or wrong.

4 0

January 15th, 2017 Olympia, WA

I like my Lifeline. It seems to be great but I have nothing to compare it with as it is the only one I have had. I think the piece that goes around my neck is not the most attractive thing and beings it is material will get dirty faster than other material although it does not hurt my neck. The only complaint I have is that when I tried the device to see if it worked well while down town, it seemed to take quite awhile before the receiver talked to me. I understand they call the home device first before the device I am wearing. Seems like a long time but perhaps waiting seems longer than it really is.

January 7th, 2017 Hingham, MA

Terrible!!!!! Be prepared to be on hold for a minimum of 15 minutes when you are notified regarding an emergency regarding a loved one. There is no way to find out what is happening. There is only one person answering the phone, Katie. I drove all the way to my mothers' house before I could get through to the service to find out that she was ok and reported that to them once I got through. I recommended that they cancel emergency services. However, as I found out from the neighbor, services had already gone there and had left. No one informed me of that when I was on the phone with them. It was unclear whether they even knew. There was not a call back to me to indicate what had transpired. When I called back I was put on hold for over 1 hour by a supervisor called Jamal, and was not allowed to speak to the person I originally communicated with (Crystal). I was told that the number I was given to call back was not the emergency number, but they would not give me an emergency number. When I pressed, I was given a number which apparently was the customer service number that is only available during business hours Mon-Fri. This incident occurred late on Fri night. Terrible response!!!

January 6th, 2017 Sullivan, WI

I have two major occurrences when lifeline did not respond when needed. There were excuses each time ,"technical" issues and address mix-up etc. One time I had to be transported to a hospital so it was a true emergency (September 2016). For me the service is unacceptable, I have subscribed for about 16 months, but will be canceling.

December 14th, 2016 Dover, TN

After checking the other 'top' three, I don't understand why this one isn't listed as the top #1. There is no advantage to the other three over Philips Lifeline. This is my mothers and she's 94. Already has had five (5) excellent immediate responses. I can see no value in the scores when compared to actual situations. I'd rate it at 10 and that is rated on actual responses not hypothetical situations.

November 13th, 2016

This product is pricey but you get what you pay for. I am a retired design engineer & this company has taken care of EVERY little detail from the point of view of manufacture, repair, replacement, call service & customer needs. I have had this for 8 years now.

1 0

November 9th, 2016

Button is a little sensitive. Cost is a little high.

1 0

October 6th, 2016 Watsonville, CA

They took 2 payments in one month - last July. Not able to contact their billing dept at all. There is no number and the customer reps cannot connect to it. I have called several times to leave a message and they do not return the call. I recently switched to auto payments and now the account is 2 months behind. But like I said there is no way to communicate with billing and the customer reps have no info to give. I am thinking about changing companies

July 11th, 2016 Oak Ridge, TN

the people i have talk to eather by phone or i hit my button by mistake was always freindley nice and understanting and i want to say thank you

2 0

September 28th, 2015 Reno, NV

I was travelling from Las Vegas to St George, UT and received a call from my son-in-law that the Paramedics and police were outside the St Geo home. I thought I must have pushed the pendent by mistake, but the puzzling thing was that no one ever responded to me. I was wearing the pendent and it was fully charged. My daughter in Reno, NV also called me. The pendant was supposed to know where I was and obviously failed. At 8:10 pm I pushed the pendent as I was driving and never received a response. I pushed the button several time over the next hour and each time I got a voice message that the call was in process to hold. I never got an answer. Later when I entered the Virgin River Gorge and I pushed the button, I was told there was no service. I understand that as the is no AT&T serve in the Gorge (only Verizon and Sprint). I called the next day and was told that I needed to carry the Base Unit with me when I traveled away from home for more than a day. Can't imagine what use it would be while I'm driving. I feel that I should be refunded for the purchase price of the pendent and at least the last month of service. When I cancelled my service I was told that I you would not refund the cost of the pendent because the 30 days had expired. I feel that this refund is due me since while the system did not malfunction within that period, it obviously did MALFUNCTION. It is very fortunate that I was not suffering a heart attack and rely on your service. I WOULD BE DEAD.

January 27th, 2015 Dallas, TX

I have been blessed to have a Lifeline since the early 80's. Always great service. It is the choice of state Medicaid programs and so many agency providers, for good reason. While I'm comforted that help is not far away, I'm also comforted by Lifeline's measured response. If I knew that I had a button to call 911, but I would land in the hospital as a result, I would probably never press that button! I feel so much better that when I press my Lifeline button, we can discuss my need. Better that my neighbor comes over, opens the door with her key, helps me up, gets my medication or whatever I need, stays with me until the issue is solved, and we're done. Ambulance, fire depot and hospital when necessary, family, friend or neighbor otherwise. Better use of city services, better for me. That makes the Lifeline choice easy.