MediPendant is a product of Medical Alarm Concepts (MAC), which was created in 2009. The company’s management team has over 30 years combined experience in the PERS (personal emergency response systems) industry. Currently, the MediPendant is in use by thousands of satisfied customers.
Nevin Jenkins is one of the big brains behind MediPendant. He was the original inventor of the personal alert technology and is still recognized as one of the pioneers in the field. He won the best invention of the year campaign, beating out many of the leading electronics companies that work in the personal alert industry. His companies and holdings own over 20 patents on various technologies related to personal alerts and senior citizen care.
- Pendant and base unit features
MediPendant differs from most medical alert/alarm systems because it allows the user to speak and listen to the operator directly through the pendant. Most systems’ base unit is the sole interface that connects the pendant or watch with emergency responders. These base units can be two-way speakers, allowing the person to talk with responders throughout the house. MediPendant eliminates the middle man. This makes the system very simple with just a pendant to wear and use with the pressing of a button. There is a base unit, which has a unique feature called a “No phone line” adapter that allows the system to work with or without a home phone.
The system offers the following benefits to its members:
- Price: Depending on the specific product subscription, MediPendant charges anywhere from $29.95-$34.95 per month for 24 hours a day monitoring and emergency dispatch services. Subscriptions are billed annually (once a year), semi-annually (every six months) or quarterly (every three months).
- 30-day money-back guarantee: If customers decide they’re not 100% satisfied within the first 30 days of their purchase, they can cancel the service and send the unit back and will be refunded the purchase price.
- Monitoring: All call center staff that answers emergency calls are certified EMTs who stay on the line until help arrives. Bi-lingual equipment and operators are available in both English and Spanish. Customers can also conference in a loved one during an emergency.
- Battery Life: 30-hour battery back-up.
- Water Resistant pendant that can be worn in the bath or shower.
- Lifetime Replacement Warranty: If customers cancel their service, MediPendant will refund them for the paid but unused portion of the monitoring service if and when they return the product to their warehouse.
- Alternative phone coverage: Unlike many of the other medical alarms on the market, MediPendant works with alternative telephone services, including Ooma, Vonage, and AT&T’s U-Verse.
- VoIP capabilities
- False alarms
There is concern about the product’s VoIP capabilities, meaning that a client might need to switch over to the cellular system if any Internet downtime was experienced.
A few things customers may need to know is as follows:
- The Lockbox is only free with the $29.95/month plan. The other plans have an equipment cost.
- No Fall Detector. Surprisingly, MediPendant’s benefits do not include a Fall Detector in case the person falls down and can’t get up.
- Alternative phone coverage issues: Despite advertising that it works with alternative VOIP phone services like Vonage, customers should know that this is service is not reliable. There is a decent possibility that they will have to switch to cellular service using the no phone line adapter.
Also, our Team couldn’t find any information about false alarms. While it is common for false alarms to happen with any system, false alarm information is important for determining the efficacy of a product that is being used for fall alerts.
The automatic test features of the system don’t describe whether or not the product has the ability to run self-diagnostics. The client routinely has to perform test checks on the system, connectivity, and battery to make sure that the system is in good and working order.
Another concern is that customers have complained that the setup is sometimes a little bit complicated because the client has to run their phone through the machine. The color-coding is helpful, but too many wires and attachments mean that the setup process becomes more complicated.
It appears that customers who use MediPendant are not required to sign a long-term agreement before receiving their emergency monitoring system. There is no specific information given stating that no contract is necessary. But the refund policy states that any unpaid months of service at the time of cancelation will be refunded to the customer. The exact terms or limitations of this refund policy are not clear, which means there may be instances where the customer will not receive their full refund.
All customers will be required to agree to MediPendant’s Terms and Conditions before moving forward with service options. Some of the highlights of this agreement include the following:
- All information provided to MediPendant will be treated as non-confidential and can be used how the company sees fit.
- MediPendant has limited liability for the information provided by its website and the services offered.
- MediPendant has the right to terminate a customer’s services at any time for reasons determined by the company.
*In no way does this summation strive to compensate for reading the actual terms of service or contract provided by this company. We are providing this information to allow consumers to see the points of the contract that we believe they should be aware of. Please refer to the company’s term of service or contract document to see the full details.
There is no specification about an offered warranty by MediPendant. Customers will have to find out that information when they contact customer service to begin the process of obtaining services.
Accreditations come when a company is evaluated by the accrediting organization and found to be satisfactory. MediPendant has no published accreditations of this type. This does not mean its services do not meet industry standards, but accreditations make it easier for a customer to know what type of experience to expect.
MediPendant offers only one emergency alert service package to customers. This package includes a monitoring system that is unique in the industry. The equipment most companies use requires customers to speak into the base unit in order to get the help they need in an emergency. The difference with MediPendant is that customers can speak directly through the help button pendant with the EMT from the call center. This allows customers to get more specified help from wherever they are when the emergency occurs. Customers do have the option to choose a payment plan that will work the best for their specific situation. These options and their specific pricing are as follows:
- Quarterly: $34.95/month ($104.85 total billed every three months)
- Semi-Annually: $32.95/month ($197.70 total billed every six months)
- Annually: $29.95/month ($359.40 total billed every 12 months)