- Medical monitoring
GreatCall offers cutting-edge medical monitoring services for their customers. By combining medical monitoring with cellular phone service, they provide a unique option for seniors on the go.
Pricing for monitoring is dependent on the service options selected, but in many cases is competitive, considering that cellular phone service and medical monitoring is bundled. Customers purchase their equipment, which is affordable, compared to many cellular phone carriers. Seniors have the choice of a flip phone, an Android™ phone or a simple medical alert system. Different colors are available.
GreatCall is one of the few companies in the industry that does not require customers to sign a long-term contract for medical alert services. This provides an added measure of flexibility for customers on a fixed income. For those not wanting to combine their cellular phone service with medial monitoring, or those for whom the network does not cover, a mobile medial monitoring device is available which is waterproof and easy to carry/wear.
- Data plans
GreatCall functions a bit differently than their primary competitors and has added equipment fees as well as activation fees. Some customers have complained about the added telecommunication fees which appear on their accounts which are required by federal law for mobile phone service providers and customers.
The jump to a full Android ™ Smartphone might be difficult for some seniors and use might be more difficult for those with dexterity problems. The interface for the phone is simplified, but it still might be difficult for some to use.
Data plans are available, but can be a bit pricey.
Jitterbug Smart (Smart Phone Device)
- Powered by Android 4.0
- Features 4’ touch screen
- Includes Free charger and USB cable
- Full-sized keyboard with larger buttons
- Simplified menu layout
- 5Star App Available
- Built-in 5 Megapixel main camera and 2 Megapixel front camera
- Built-in 8GB memory storage
- 4G LTE Cellular network
- GPS and Bluetooth capabilities
- Mobile Internet Access (direct Wi-Fi)
- Hearing aid compatibility
Jitterbug Flip (Flip Phone Device)
- Comes in Red and Graphite (Grey)
- Includes free charger and lanyard
- Backlit keypad with large buttons
- Bright colored screen
- 5Star service access button
- Simple navigation design
- Features voice dialing
- Powerful speaker and speakerphone
- Built-in 1.3 megapixel camera
- Hearing aid compatibility
- Long-Lasting battery
- Uses GPS location services
- Reading magnifier with LED flashlight
- Built-in Bluetooth and GPS capabilities
Lively Mobile (Alert Button Device)
- Comes in Silver and Gold
- Fastest Agent Response Time (as awarded by Good Housekeeping)
- Clip on for easy use and transportation
- Patented GPS technology
- Automatic Fall Detections software
- Lithium-Ion battery
- Includes free charging cradle, accessory clip and lanyard
- Speakerphone communication with 5Star Service and 9-1-1
- Built in fall detection technology
Lively Wearable (Wearable Device)
- Comes in White/Gold or Grey/Silver
- Sleek wearable design
- No charging required (up top 6 months of battery life)
- Built-in Fall detection software
- Included 5Star Urgent Response Care
- Customizable daily challenges (to set health goals)
- Fitness tracking (measure daily step count)
- Bluetooth capability (easy connection to smartphone)
- Includes free adjustable wristband and lanyard
Pricing varies greatly depending the product and service plan that you choose. The Jitterbug5 costs $99.00 for the cell phone device and has plan options ranging from $19.99 a month to $112.49 a month depending on the amount of minutes and extra features you desire. There is also the option to create a custom plan that includes what you want without any unnecessary features. The Jitterbug Touch2 costs $149.99 with basic plans ranging from $14.99 a month to $59.99 a month. There are also data plans which range from $2.49 to $45.00 a month. You also have the option of signing up for extra features such as Handset Replacement, voicemail and MyWorld for an extra monthly charge. The GreatCall Splash device costs $49.99 and includes either the basic 5Star plan for $14.99 a month or the GreatCall GoPlan for $19.99 a month.
There is a $35.00 activation fee for all GreatCall phones and devices which must be paid at time of initial purchase.
Those products that customers purchase from Great Call are under a warranty for the first year of use. This warranty is limited and conditional on proper use of the device from customers. Some of the disqualifying actions include the following:
- Improper storage
- Exposure to liquid
- Unusual activity
Cosmetic damage, including scratches or dents, that occur to the device are also not covered by this warranty. Customers can read the full warranty details on Great Call’s website to fully understand what is covered. When a damaged product meets the set warranty criteria, Great Call will replace the device without any additional charge.
All GreatCall phones come with a 30-day return policy for a full refund on activation, service and phone fees. However, you must have used less than 30 minutes of total talk time and less than 25 MB of data or you will still be held responsible for the first month of service and any fees accrued during that time. The phone must also be in “like-new” condition to receive a refund. Shipping charges are non-refundable, although it appears that shipping is currently being offered for free. You can call customer service for any questions or concerns regarding the return of a product.
All the products provided by GreatCall are designed to provide mobile coverage from anywhere. The GreatCall Splash is the most basic medical alert device that features a one-touch call button to alert the Response Center of an emergency. The GreatCall Splash uses GPS capabilities to determine your location. The Jitterbug5 and Jitterbug Touch2 are actual cell phone services which can be used for calling, email and text messaging. The difference between these devices and average cell phones is their ability to instantly connect you with medical assistance using 5Star service. Jitterbug cell phones have a 5Star button built into the keypad so you only have to press one button for help to arrive.
This information is undisclosed.
Great Call Systems Available in All 50 United States
Each customer who uses any of Great Call’s services will be under a Customer Agreement, which outlines their contract. The length of this contract varies depending on the exact service being used. Some of the highlights of this contract include the following:
- Customers have the option to cancel their services within the first 30 days to receive a refund for the price of the equipment and the first month’s payment (if all applicable terms are kept).
- Activation fees will be charged to all Great Call accounts.
- Great Call can cancel services at any time, without notice, for any violation of the written agreement.
GreatCall devices use 5Star Urgent Response services to provide emergency services. 5Star employs NAED (National Academic of Emergency Dispatch) Certified Response Agents who are rigorously trained to handle any type of medical or emergency crisis. 5Star agents are multilingual so language barriers will never stop you from getting help. In addition, a feature called Urgent Care allows you to speak with a nurse or doctor 24/7 for quick medical advice or even to get a new prescription for common medications. In addition to 5Star service, GreatCall customer representatives are available 24 hours a day to answer any questions or concerns you may have about the product or service. Customer service representatives are well-versed in all GreatCall devices and can assist you with any troubleshooting issues as well as determining if you will get coverage in your area. Between the 5Star service and GreatCall’s customer support, you will always have access to help and assistance when you need it.
Location of Certified Monitoring Centers
5Star Urgent Response monitoring centers are located throughout the United States to ensure maximum service coverage. Although specific customer service locations are not specified, GreatCall assures customers that all services are based and located within the United States.
The devices offered by Great Call for emergency medical alerts are all 5-Star Safety compliant. This is a strict set of standards enforced by 5-Star Safety to ensure the quality of machine each customer gets. Great Call routinely checks the manufacturing and products to make sure these standards are continually upheld.
The customers who want to use the medical alert systems offered by Great Call will have the choice of three service packages. These packages and their prices are as follows:
- 5-Star Urgent Response team
- Available 24/7
- Fall detection
- Includes all Basic services
- 24/7 access to medical professionals
- Product replacement plans
- Includes all Preferred services
- Great Call Link package and network
The Great Call customers will also have the option to choose between two different devices:
- Medical alert device with smaller body
- Worn on lanyard, wristband, or as a keychain
- Speakerphone, 2-way communication
- GPS technology
- Medical alert device in fitness tracker form
- Lively services and features
- 6-month battery life
- Fall detection
- Fitness tracking capabilities
Time in Business
GreatCall Inc. was started on March 1, 2005 in California.
Company Contact Information
Address: 10935 Vista Sorrento Pkwy Suite 200 San Diego, California 92130
Email: [email protected]