Connect America launched in 1977 and is based out of Broomall, Pennsylvania. Today the company provides personal emergency medical alert service to thousands of people across the United States with help available at the press of a button.
Rank Chart

#19
Connect America Logo

$29.95-$34.95
2.8

The Good

• Features
  • Mobility

The Connect America personal alarm system comes with a 2-Way speakerphone base unit and one waterproof transmitter button.  This button can be worn on the wrist, around the neck or on a belt.  A phone cord is included for setup installation. The company also includes a medical information card and step by step installation instructions.  Other products are available at additional costs upon request.

One good feature is that users can take the product with them if they are going to be out of town at a relative’s home or away on vacation (in the U.S.). Since the unit is landline- based, there is no cellular or GPS capabilities to locate users using satellite coverage, customers should be aware to inform Connect America of their whereabouts so in case of Emergency, the company can know which local responders and family members to contact.

The Bad

• Fall detection
  • Deposit
  • Phone calls

Connect America does not offer Fall Detection, which should be at least an optional feature in any personal home alert medical response system. The company also requires a 3-month deposit upon signing up for the monthly subscription. In reality, the monthly subscription starts on month four. Consumers should also be aware that if making a return, the equipment has to be in good working condition (determined by Connect America by the way). If the equipment is found to be compromised, there is a charge of $359.40.

One thing Connect America does that is unfavorable is “forcing” people to talk to them directly via phone to order and sign up for a subscription. The other option is to put your contact information into the site and have them contact you via phone or email. Customers may or may not mind, but other companies allow consumers to sign up on their website and they can call or email if they have any questions. Sometimes phone calls contain upselling (although Connect America promises not to do this), which people typically would prefer to avoid.

The Bottom Line

Connect America offers solid, standard traditional features that can be found easily in other companies in its niche but are still worth exploring. The many features it does have are quality and earn a place on the list of products to investigate in one’s search for a personal emergency medical alert system. The one important component it lacks is a Fall Detection capability, so consumers needing fall detection will have to go elsewhere.

More Information

Company Details

Contract*

Due to the nature of emergency alert services, and the type of customer who typically use these devices, Connect America does not require a long-term commitment from its customers. Each customer is free to cancel the service package at any time. This process should be quick and simple with just a phone call to the customer service center. At the time of activation, customers will be required to make a deposit that is equal to three months of service. This deposit is then applied to the monitoring fee for those first three months. If a customer has to cancel during this first time period, that deposit is non-refundable. This is the only penalty customers will experience when they cancel their Connect America service. Giving a customer the option to get service on a month-to-month basis helps them to have the independence they desire.

*In no way does this summation strive to compensate for reading the actual terms of service or contract provided by this company. We are providing this information to allow consumers to see the points of the contract that we believe they should be aware of. Please refer to the company’s term of service or contract document to see the full details.

Warranty Details

Both of the companies that Connect America uses to provide emergency alert services, (Medical Alert and Alert 911), offer warranties for customers. These warranties cover any damage done to either the communication hub system or the help button. If either of these devices needs repairs or replacement, customers simply need to contact customer service and will either get the help to repair the device or be sent a new one. Both of these services are offered free of charge to the customer. It should be noted that Medical Alert’s warranty comes at an additional Protection Plan, but this cost is not disclosed on the website.

Accreditations

Connect America has not published any accreditations from major organizations on its website. These accreditations can show that the services offered by a company have been evaluated by a trusted source that found it to be up to industry standards.

Package Details

Since Connect America is the parent company to Medical Alert and Alert 911, there is a wide variety of service packages. But the packages offered by both of these smaller companies have some similarities. Each company provides a system that will work in customers’ homes and another that will work on-the-go. All packages will provide customers with 24/7 monitoring and a help button that can be pushed any time the customer is in distress or has an emergency. The prices for each company are similar and range from $20/month to $40/month. Both of these companies and the corresponding service packages are completely backed by Connect America, which is one of the industry’s leading providers with a positive reputation.

X close
X close

4 Connect America Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

0=WORST 10=BEST

2. Subject For This Review*(Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

or

1. User Score

November 12th, 2016 Lake Zurich, IL

There have been changes in the last couple of years. Previously when I had to have the button replaced they were happy to do so. (This only happened once in previous years) Last year 2015 they sent new wrist unit which had a stretch band with a buckle. Making it difficult for an elderly person such as myself to attach this to my wrist one arthritic handed.. Then the neck button was on a cord that fastened in back of the neck by sliding one end into the plastic tube with the other end also shoved in this plastic tube.. In about a year (and I tried to be careful to make sure both ends were always in the tube) the cord became unconnected and I have not been able to find what happened to the button. When I called for a replacement I was offered an insurance plan at $5 a month to cover any problem such as this in the future. Other than that I would have to pay $35 to get another of these faulty cords with a button.. I objected to this and convinced them that it was the result of the faulty fastener on the cord. They agreed to replace at no cost with a much better fastener of the cord around the neck. I have been with them for 10 years and at $5 a month this would have cost me $600 for something I have used only 3 times in all those years. The problems i had with their billing Dept. after moving and getting it set up at a new address, is a whole other upsetting story. If I knew another company would be a better choice, I would make the change.
    I know the economy requires cutbacks but it must not infringe on the safety of the user.

2. User Score

June 23rd, 2016

I had connect America for six months. My contract expired 5-15-16. I called them on 4-25+16 to see if my six month rate was going to change. It was going to almost double, I had until 5-15 according to the rep to cancel. On 4-27-16 they charged my cc the new six !month rate. When I called & told them I was not going to be using them they got very angry questioning why I was changing provider’s. One reason I was changing was because of their constant calls trying to upgrade my service & my pendant. They gave me da lit of excuses why they couldn’t credit my card back. My cc company got involved & reversed the charges & fought it ouyt with them. On their FB page there are over 95 complaints!

3. User Score

March 12th, 2016 Joliet, IL

Serves all the needs that my mother in law has. She likes the watch better than the pendant. And the range is excellent.

4. User Score

December 16th, 2015 Vandergrift, PA

My mother fell in the basement last week, she was non responsive, unable to communicate. I found her motionless with blood around her head. I went flying up the stairs to grab the alert button. I squeezed it and squeezed it and no one was there on the other end. I grabbed my cell phone and my hands were shaking I could not even enter my code. I call 911 on the landline. My mother was in the trauma unit for a week. When I came home to get clothes, I picked up the base unit to try it again. I squeezed it for 5 mins before someone answered!!!!! Horrible system, horrible!!!!