BlueStar HonorCare was founded in 2013 and is headquartered near Washington, DC. The company offers a free membership to all veterans and their families, with 100% of their clientele being former military. The company is owned and run by veterans and gives 10% of their profits to veteran-related causes and charities. The company specifically offers assistance and aid to charities which serve those helping homeless veterans.
- Comprehensive suite of products and services
- Contact records
BlueStar HonorCare offers a comprehensive suite of products and services for their members at competitive prices. They have a return and guarantee policy that is far more liberal than any other in the industry. Indeed, if at any time, a customer is unhappy with their equipment or service, they simply return the working equipment to the company and contact the company’s president for a refund of past service fees.
BlueStar HonorCare offers a free membership which includes benefits such as:
- For the first 10,000 members, free access and use of Blue Star Network’s health-monitoring software. After reaching 10,000 members, the price will be $6.95/month
- For the first 10,000 members, free use of Brain HQ Brain Exercise software. After reaching 10,000 members, the software will cost $14.00/month.
- Members receive discounts of 10% to 40% on over one hundred retailers.
- Free subscription to “News you can use,” in newsletters covering senior issues, veteran issues, and health issues, and in BlueStar HonorCare’s enormous resource library.
- Access to discounted Blue Star services, which are available only to vets and to their families.
All of BlueStar HonorCare Center employees are certified members of the Central Station Alarm Association and have received extensive training. Additionally, BlueStar HonorCare is a certified small business employer of veterans, with a long-term vision of employing a network of at-home wounded warriors as virtual agents.
They also keep and maintain contact records of family or other contacts their customers would like to be alerted.
- Medical records
While BlueStar HonorCare offers a number of effective and easy-to-use medical alert devices, the company does have some drawbacks. For example, the maximum range on its base unit for the Sentry Plus package has a range of 600 feet. While this is fairly standard for the industry, other companies feature an extended range of up to 1,000 for the same price.
BlueStar HonorCare provides additional protection to its customers by alerting emergency contacts or family members in the event of a fall or other accident; however, the company does not currently disclose whether it keeps its members’ medical records on file, which could be particularly useful for emergency responders who need to make a house-call.
The scope of services offered by Blue Star HonorCare is very wide and covers everything from safety protection to health monitoring tools. All of these options allow customers to choose the service package that will best help them live the independent life they are looking for. The specific details for the safety monitoring systems are as follows:
- $86.85 quarterly billing
- $318.45 annual billing
- 24/7 monitoring
- Two-way communication pendant
- 600-foot range
- “Caregiver” button calls programmed number immediately
- $98.85 quarterly billing
- $362.45 annual billing
- 24/7 monitoring
- Simple and portable
- No installation necessary
- Shower-safe device
- $119.85 quarterly billing
- $439.45 annual billing
- 24/7 monitoring
- Fall detection
- GPS locating services
- Activity trackers
Additional Equipment Details
- Cost of Sensors
- Three Sensors – $24.95/month
- Five Sensors – $32.95/month
- Seven Sensors – $44.95/month
- Users may select a motion and activity sensor program in addition to the medical monitoring systems above. These can include up to 7 passive monitoring sensors which can be used along walls, near doors and at windows.
- When movement is sensed, a message is sent via SMS to family and caregivers.
Check In Calls
- Once per day cost between $7.95 – $14.95/month
- Members of BlueStar HonorCare can set up a personal check in call from a member of our Blue Star staff for medicine reminders, general status checks, a friendly hello, or whatever else is required.
- Calls may be scheduled for once or twice daily.
- BlueStar HonorCare staff places the call(s) and after speaking to the customer will, if needed, call or inform a predetermined contact list if something is amiss (no answer, not feeling well, etc).
- All calls are personally designed and made and tailored to fit one’s needs by a cooperative plan by the BlueStar HonorCare and an individual and/or their family or caretaker.
Technology and Equipment
Landline – the entire US and mobile wherever AT&T coverage is offered
Locations Monitoring Centers
The review team was unable to speak to a representative from BlueStar HonorCare to learn the location of their monitoring center. The center is staffed around the clock and 24 hours per day. The monitoring center is UL Certified and all representatives are certified by the CSAA as a Five-Diamond Certified Monitoring Center.
There is no contract for those signing up for service with BlueStar HonorCare.
Customer support representatives are reportedly available Monday-Friday from 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM (Eastern Time). However, reviewers were unable to contact representatives during these hours and left voice-mail and email messages. Three business days elapsed without a response from Blue Star HonorCare.
Time in Business
BlueStar HonorCare was founded in 2013.
Company Contact Information
7619 Standish Place
All services offered by Blue Star HonorCare are given to customers on a month-to-month basis. Customers are never required to sign a long-term agreement or commit to any time period of service. This type of payment and commitment option allows customers to only use the services when they are necessary, which is very important for this type of service. The freedom to cancel services whenever necessary allows customers to live the independent life they are looking for.
- Customers are responsible for protecting any passwords and usernames used throughout the website.
- Any content posted by customers to Blue Star HonorCare can be used in any way by Blue Star.
- Blue Star HonorCare has the right to change any policy or aspect of the terms without notifying the customer.
*In no way does this summation strive to compensate for reading the actual terms of service or contract provided by this company. We are providing this information to allow consumers to see the points of the contract that we believe they should be aware of. Please refer to the company’s term of service or contract document to see the full details.
Customers who use a Blue Star HonorCare to monitor their safety will have a 60-day money back guarantee. If customers are not satisfied with any of the services they are given during that time period, they will be given a full refund for the amounts they have already paid. In certain cases, customers can receive a refund for paid services after that time period as well. It is unclear whether the equipment issued by Blue Star HonorCare is covered by a warranty for any damage or malfunction that might cause it to not function properly.
Blue Star HonorCare has not published any accreditations the company has earned from major organization. These types of awards show that a company is offering services that are up to industry standards and keep those standards.
The professional review team was unable to obtain information from customer support or sales about activation fees after trying to contact the company during their published business hours.
Blue Star has at home and away from home monitoring plans which work anywhere that there is an AT&T cellular signal.
Up to 600 feet.