If you were looking for a meal delivery service that caters to your entire family's needs, this is it: meet Schwan's. They have fried chicken for your kids, but they also have the gluten-free kind. If your child has a sweet tooth, they offer children-approved French toast pieces. For your parents, they offer meal options that are low in sodium. And for you, there is fresh fruit... and don't forget the pan-fried vegetables. Everybody's happy, which isn't common, right?
Founded in 1952 by Marvin Schwan, the company currently employs more than 6,000 Customer Service Managers, catering to the needs of the many homes requesting Schwan's services. This company offers more than you ever thought possible in a meal delivery service, which means that you will find all of your needs to be met in a given place. Read on to find out if these services are meant to help you in the journey that you and your family are undertaking.

#1 HelloFresh chevron_right
3.6
#2 Blue Apron chevron_right

The Good

• Options
  • Money back guarantee
  • Gluten-free choices

They offer over 650 family classics, flash-frozen in order to preserve meals longer. Here's how it works: they want you to browse through their items until you've picked out your family's favorites. Once you've placed your order, they want you to choose your delivery date and preferred time frame. Finally, they make sure that you are satisfied with your order or your money back. They make sure that they prioritize customer service because they understand the importance of being satisfied with services offered.

They offer many options in the gluten-free category. It is important to note that their gluten-free selections have been certified by the Celiac Support Association (CSA), which is stricter than the FDA, as the CSA requires foods to have less than five parts per million. Some options in this selection include white bread, brownie bites, blueberry streusel muffins, breaded chicken bites, pepperoni pizza, and a four-cheese pizza.

Their LiveSmart options, a specialty of Schwan's, include oatmeal, fruit bars, edamame, spaghetti, sweet cut corn, guacamole, and lettuce wraps. Their vegetarian options are many, and they include Brussels sprouts, a vegetable medley, fresh-cut fruit plates, broccoli & cheese, asparagus, rice pilaf, fried rice, sweet potato fries, crispy waffle fries, and mashed potatoes.

Aside from gluten-free, LiveSmart and vegetarian options, they offer alternatives that are low in sodium, low in calories, and have no added sugars. This is important to note because not all options offered by Schwan's are healthy, and these offer an alternative to that.

If you want to give families the gift of great food and great memories, there are gift cards that range from $10 to $300, making it perfect for anything from a birthday, to Mother's Day, to Christmas. Ultimately, you decide if you like it enough to pass on the word, but since it has so many different options, everybody should find something that they like. You select the amount of money you want to give, then you select a gift card holder until finally you personalize the gift card holder, saying whom it's from, to whom it's being given, and writing a message.

The Bad

• Weight loss

This meal delivery service is, more than anything, like a grocery store. It has healthy products, but it also has the unhealthy ones. This is not a weight loss program, but it should still reduce the amount of deep-fried foods in which it offers. Americans' problems with obesity and heart disease have been directly correlated to food habits in the past, and they are only enforcing families to continue with these unhealthy habits despite their attempts to implement diet-based options. They should cook alternatives, trying to use less oils and fatty ingredients. Schwan's should also aim to use different cooking methods, rather than constantly deep-frying, while trying to find a similar taste. For this price, you're also better off going to the grocery store if you're looking to indulge in these unhealthy foods regardless.

It is at least important for them to continue placing ingredients and nutritional information on their website. This way, we can stay informed on what we are eating if we wish, and make smart decisions based on that information. For example, although their corn mix is healthy, it comes with four servings, at 90 calories each serving. This is important to know, but with deep-fried food items, it becomes an increasingly more alarming concern. Foods that have zero nutritional value are made out of empty calories, which are the worst foods we could put into our bodies. Their popcorn shrimp serves eight people, at 220 calories a serving; many families eat more servings than is recommended, which is already an issue without the item consisting of zero nutritional value.

They should aim to make their services enough for simply one or two people, rather than several. This would allow families to exert self-control and deliberately eat less, but more likely, it will make people realize the mistakes that they had been making before. Companies across the board should strive to offer much variety, but of the healthy kind-which is what Schwan's partially does.

The Bottom Line

Ultimately, if you use Schwan's, it should be on occasion or if you don't have enough time to make it to the grocery store. This is not only because of the unhealthy choices, but because it is generally more costly, so if you have the time and the resources, you'll be saving yourself money by making dinner yourself-in the short and long term. Health issues might arise if you make wrong choices in terms of your meals. Schwan's does offer a variety of options that will keep the whole family satisfied, though, and if chosen correctly, meals could be of nutritional value, too. Due to the variety of diet options-such as the ones that are gluten-free, low in sodium, and with no added sugars-there is plenty to go around. Opt for the fresh fruits and vegetables, and make sure that your children learn to eat moderately and slowly. Schwan's could be a great family tool if used wisely.

4.1

Brittney Miskin
December 9th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS

Schwans has great delicious food delivered right to your door! Almost everything they sell is great tasting, and their drivers are always polite and courteous.

Tom Gourley
November 19th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

High end products offered at premium pricing. Some products can be very good and the convenience of "at home" service is a plus.

Mellissa
November 11th, 2019 Greeneville, TN DETAILS

I enjoyed buying from schwan. I haven't purchased anything in a while but I will be soon. You can't beat buying food online and having it delivered.

Debbie Burke
October 1st, 2019 Saint Paul, MN DETAILS

They lied to me! I was ordering 243.00 worth of food to send to my son and family in Michigan. She told me they don't have schwans there so I would have to pay a extra 59.99. Then I find out from my son today saying he sees them all the time. So again I call and they said I shouldn't have hit sending to friends and family buttons, even though they make you hit it to send to someone else! I could've done it another way but that girl insisted they didn't have a schwans in Michigan! Then I call again because by this point I was done and wanted it cancelled! The manager said it was to late. The girl said she'd give me 200 points, so I asked how much that was worth. She told me it was worth 20.00 only to be lied to again, it was only worth 10.00 so I'm looking at it as they still owe me! The manager was rude and very nasty! They should listen to all the tapes but don't care! I got ripped off and it's not cheap for this stuff. It's also very small amounts so I had to double and triple order! As far as I'm concerned and all the one stars they have, obviously everyone else has been screwed over! Don't trust this company! If you order you'll be sorry! TRUST ME😞

L. Bortvit
June 20th, 2019 Halfway, MO DETAILS

I ordered a gift card for my Mother’s birthday. They had the option to overnight it so I paid an extra 30 dollars to overnight it and get it to her on her birthday. When she didn’t receive it, I started making phone calls. I talked to at least 5 different people throughout the course of this mess. They all gave me a different story as to why I didn’t have the gift card and that they would escalate my concern and that I should expect a call in 1 to 2 business days. Which didn’t happen for a week and a half by the way. They sure didn’t waste any time processing my payment as it went through the day after I placed the order. So they took my money knowing that the card wouldn’t get overnighted to me as not one person I talked to said it was even possible to get a gift card overnighted!! I’ve asked for a refund since the card didn’t arrive on time for my mother’s birthday, but they said all they can do is refund the shipping fees. Well it’s been 2 weeks and I have yet to get any kind of refund. The customer service was some of the worst I’ve seen! Especially Kathy in the “gift card” department. Absolutely no williness to make this right as they just couldn’t have cared less! I will NOT order from them ever again. And I highly discourage anyone ordering a gift card.

Michael E Berrett
February 13th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS

Schwan's is a great organization as far as consistency of quality product, reliability with delivery and connection to customers, and I have found their food to be absolutely excellent. The only downside in my opinion to Schwans is the expense of the product combined with the expense of the delivery service. We loved it and enjoyed it - then later decided that we truly couldn't adored to continue. Great company!

JAKE
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We used to get Schwans all the time. They have some really great products and everything is made with quality ingredients. They had a peanut butter cup ice cream that was amazing. We would eat it almost every night. The price point is a little high which is why I only did 4 stars.

wayne sanders
February 12th, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS

I have previously used the Schwans delivery service but it was quite a few years ago. I was skeptical about being able to use it for our large family who was on a budget as well as if the quality of the items was good. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I was worried for nothing! there was always several items on special and the items that I chose to purchase were always great tasting. I also felt like it was a pretty good value for my money. the best part.....they came to me!

Ponch Thompson
February 12th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

What a frustrating experience trying to get a simple Gift Card to get food for a family member. Not only did the card never get shipped, I was still charged and it took several calls to rectify. While the food may be ok, and we have had their food in the past, this experience left a bad taste in my mouth!

Kristiane R Durfey
February 11th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We used to use Schwan's a few years back. I enjoyed the convenience of having them deliver to our home but the cost just didn't seem comparable to the products. The food wasn't bad but it wasn't great and the cost was too high. Their ice cream is the best tho and we really miss that.

Lindsey A Brown
February 8th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Great food, great prices, and an overall good variety that the family really enjoys. Not to mention having it delivered to my door...how great is that! Big thumbs up to the Schwan Man as the kids call him.

Erikka N
February 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Love the food from Schwans. I have the best memories as a kid when my mom used to order Schwans. My favorite was the ice cream sandwiches, ice cream, pizza and the chicken cordon bleu. Very yummy food. I also have always felt that they have used high quality ingredients.

August Moulton
February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT

My parents used to order from the Schwann's truck when I was a kid. There is literally nothing in this world better than their bagel dogs. I don’t know if they still make them. But seriously, nothing.better.ever.

janalee sanders
February 4th, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS

I used to use this service but it was many years ago. until this survey I didn't even know that they were still around! I really liked using Schwans those years ago because even with a large family there were so many items that were a good value or there were always many items on sale that it was "worth" it. I think ill look them up again!

Jamie King
February 1st, 2019 Cokeville, WY DETAILS

I have always loved Schwans ice cream but lately I feel like it doesn’t taste as good and it’s not as creamy as it use to be. I do love that they still go door to door!

Shaylee
January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Schwan's is very simple and nice to use. It is nice if it is hard for you to go and grocery shop a lot. It is home delivery so they bring the products directly to your door step. They are prompt in delivering it when they say they will.

Annie Orr
January 10th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

We got my grandparents Schwan’s for Christmas one year and it was a hit. They loved it. The food that was provided was always so good and they were very helpful if we had any questions or concerns.

Hailey Nilson
January 4th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I love Schwan's truck-delivery meal plans. They've delivered to my family for years, and I can't get enough of them! My absolute favorite has got to be the Mexican Pizzas, they're fantastic.

Autumn Kallunki
December 18th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

Schwan's is my favorite place for ice cream. The food is super yummy and delivery never takes too long.

Mildred Carter
December 10th, 2018 Woodbridge, VA DETAILS

Schwan's is the reason why I fell in love with rocky road. No lie. They came to the house, offered the book and I saw it and thought it was the coolest thing. So we got it- and I fell in love with it. Their food was generally VERY nice, and very tasty although it is also a bit pricey.

Amanda Purpura
December 6th, 2018 Gibsonia, PA DETAILS

Such a cool idea! Great frozen foods that are perfect for busy lives; they are easy to make and deelish. The customer service that the drivers provide is unreal and they are all so nice. I have been a customer for years and they consistently provide a great experience to their customers.

Donna Williams
December 5th, 2018 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

Love Schwans! I used Schwans a few times as a Christmas present to my in-laws and some other family members. They loved it! The food was delicious and easy to prepare. I will definately use them again and again!

Rachel Spielberger
November 19th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

Always friendly, helpful and conversational. Very pleased with their service. They also have good quality food as well.

Rachael Kerr
November 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Schwan's has some great food, I especially like the ice cream selection. However I've also had some food from Schawn's that wasn't the best. It's kind of a gamble on what you buy, but once you find the stuff that you like, it's pretty good.

Kristen Schow
October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Love the idea and move the service. My parents subscribe and I've tried most everything that they've ordered! Delicious!

mgillings
September 25th, 2018

As I child I always dreamed of having the Schwan man come to my house! As an adult I still love them! They have great meal options, and a lot of my favorite childhood treats. They have added so many special diet option and the single serve dishes are delicious! I really love how easy it is to order online and have my food delivered right to my door!

Amber
September 20th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT

We’ve had schwan’s Home food service for about 5 years now. They come to my house every 2 weeks. Sometimes I find that 2 weeks is too often and there are certain times of the year that I have them come monthly instead. It’s nice to have that kind of flexibility. The sales people are always so friendly and NOT pushy which I love. The quality of food is amazing. I love all the options. When I think of Schwans I automatically think ice cream because it’s so good, but they have great meal options too.

Shari Evers
September 17th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I love to your door delivery! Especially when it comes to food. Best frozen pizza and ice cream bars!

Whitney Hawkes
September 17th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT

I love Schwan’s a lot. It has so many options and really good food. I also love how if we are not there when they come, they will give you a paper that tells you when there next visit will be.

Jocelyn E
September 17th, 2018 Lehi, UT

Home delivery for food is the best thing since sliced bread!! Life is busy and Schwans has great food and it’s easy to get.

Shanna
August 31st, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I LOVE SCHWAN'S!!!! They have amazing products. I wish they would come door to door like they used to.

Dylan Findlay
August 29th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

I love Schwan’s I have ordered from them for years and the products have always been of the utmost quality! So convenient!

Leslie
August 29th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

Yummy, yummy ice cream, veggies, and convenience meals! I have used Schwan’s for over 5 years and I’ve never bought anything I don’t like!

Ron Durfey
August 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Used Schwan's a lot in the past. The service and the products were great, especially the ice cream. Wish I could go back but they're too expensive to justify.

Kris
August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Schwan’s meals are hand delivered by their truck in a timely manner. They are a bit expensive but I believe it is OK because of the convenience .

Haley Houtz
August 20th, 2018 Herriman, UT

Schwan’s meal plans are a life saver! The food is delicious and doesn’t take long to prep!

Hannah Cummins
August 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I love Schwans, they have great food and great service. I highly recommend them!

Jenny whipple
July 31st, 2018 Mesa, AZ

Such yummy and easy food. Nice to have some choices in the freezer for extra busy days. Delicious desserts.

Bob Conley
July 19th, 2018 Crestwood, KY

Overpriced. I didn't mind taking their visits, but the driver eventually just started complaining that I wasn't ordering enough to make it worth his time. I was okay with that and let him know that he didn't need to waste his time with me.

Sara Jane
July 18th, 2018 Crestwood, KY DETAILS

I grew up on Schwan's. And when I became an adult we decided to give it a try again. I was not impressed with the quality of the food and the price. It was just too much money for what you get and food wasn't great.

king
July 9th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

love the ice cream. i make and effort to be here when they deliver

Myung Cordrey
March 26th, 2018 DETAILS

The order was in a garbage bag hanging outside the truck about two feet away from the Circle K garbage cans. The delivery person, Andy, was belligerent, rude, and just a mean person to the gate guards and to my husband, who met him at the Circle K because the driver refused to come on base. We had written in the special instructions that we lived ON/IN Luke AFB, and to call us if he had any questions. There are many deliveries that come on base from furniture delivery to Papa John's Pizza. I understand he didn't want to sign the security paperwork, but he could have handled it a professional manner as I would have expected from a representative of Schwan’s. He insisted that it was OUR fault, and that we must call Schwan's RIGHT NOW to make sure deliveries could be made in the future. He sat in the van and didn't even come out until my husband knocked on the window, and that's when Andy had the gall to beret my husband. How long was the food hanging out in the garbage bag? Was it Andy's unprofessional and thoughtless way to tell us to never order from Schwan's? Our experience was horrific, and I would never recommend this brand to anyone at the base. Please remove our names from your marketing and absolutely NEVER have Andy call/text us in the future. I would recommend some serious customer service training to Andy as he is exceptionally rude and condescending, which I am sure does not truly represent Schwan's ethics and behaviors.

L. Stockton
August 28th, 2017 Rocky Mount, NC

Excellent food choices and convenient. The only negative is I hear they don't always treat their employees (drivers) fairly. But as far as food and service, I'm happy.

Denise Huber
June 2nd, 2017 Mona, UT

We love their ice cream! The rest of the food I have tried is just okay.