Nutrisystem began as a weight loss counseling center in 1972. Over the next three decades, they transitioned to selling products and programs online. Today they provide customers with balanced, frozen meals designed for weight loss and weight management. While they claim that you can lose 5 lbs. in one week (or your money back), it has not been proven sustainable. As with many diet meal plans, prepackaged foods may not be sustainable for those who need to lose a lot of weight and want to keep it off. Still, many people in the U.S. and in other countries have reported that Nutrisystem is a great product for losing weight and getting back on track. Those who follow the system will most likely experience weight loss. The company aims to provide nutritionally balanced meals. Through individualized counseling, custom meal plans, quality foods, and support, they help Americans lose weight and get healthy.

The Good

• Diet Starter
  • Options
  • Taste

Diet Starter

Nutrisystem is a great way to kick off any diet plan. This program is not designed for long-term use, but rather as a starting point to teach people which foods they should be eating. The pre-packaged meals show you what serving sizes actually look like and you don't have to worry about counting calories.

Options

There are 150 options for consumers to choose from, so they'll never get bored with meals. Nutrisystem meals are relatively cheap compared to other meal plans but would be expensive if you did this diet long term.

Taste

While taste can be subjective, it's comforting to know that most people find these meals to taste good.

The Bad

No Trial Period

Nutrisystem may be a good way to shed extra pounds, but it is not a long-term solution. The shortest program of 4-weeks is usually what most people prefer. And Nutrisystem requires each individual to sign up at least for a 4-week program without being able to test the product. They don't give dieters the option of trying out a few meals or only ordering a weeks worth of food at a time.

The Bottom Line

Nutrisystem is great for people looking to lose weight in a short amount of time. Their guarantee promises 5 lbs. of weight loss just within the first week. Although they don't let individuals try out their product, most individuals have been happy about the taste of the food, the different options, and is generally simple to start off. Like most meal plans, it isn't sustainable for long periods of time, but the hope is that it teaches portion control and helps get your health back on track.

3.2

Martha Gourley
November 26th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I bought this one time. When I opened up the box and started look at the food, I knew that I could not eat it. It did not look appealing. If you like dehydrated food then maybe this would work for you.

wayne sanders
February 12th, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS

Nutrisystem is the way to go if your looking to have healthy, low calorie, pre planned out, ready to go meals delivered to your home. its nice to be able to have a wide variety of meals waiting for me to just pick when I need it. When your dieting there are plenty of times when you just don't want to think about what to prepare and then worry about whether or not you made it the healthiest way possible. Nutrisystem takes care of the thinking for you.

Shayla Hankins
January 16th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Nutrisystem helped me lose 42 pounds with little to no cost. They caught my eye by their commercial and I have never felt better.

Cori Jacobsen Ollerton
December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS

Very helpful for weight loss. However, VERY expensive. My husband lost 55 lbs through their food plans. Worth the money but pricey.

Rischelle Mikkelson
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I did not have a great experience with Nutrisystem. They made a lot of promises, but I did not see results. The food was mediocre. I followed the plan exactly. And was not able to lose any weight.The consultants were very kind, however, and supported me along the way.

Angela Nelson
October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

The taste of NutriSystem food was great. I could not stay on it because it exacerbated some existing health problems I have, but it was very convenient to be able to buy the starter kit from Wal-Mart and I think it could be a great program for some people. Easy to follow and easy, good-tasting food.

Tate Tomlinson
October 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Nutri systems worked so well for me. I lost 30 pounds in a month. And because I exercised as well, I have maintained it. So thank you!

Shari Evers
September 18th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I love idea of nutrisystem, but the food is unrealistic. It’s something that helped and was torture during its use, but wasn’t something I could continue using.

Rashida Laumatia
August 29th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Had amazing results with Nutrisystem. Counselors were very motivating and supportive.

NT
August 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

everything they say about Nutrisystem is accurate. from the first call i was excited to start this new journey and they made it so easy. not only did i lose weight, but i gained confidence and trust again. i recommended it to my best friends and they love it too.

Kris
August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I personally like Nutrisystem and used their meals for losing weight. The meals are delicious and there is a variety to choose from.

Alicia Holman
July 11th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I've used this program several times and my biggest issue is the food isn't fresh enough. I don't mind having prepackaged dinners, but I wish they had the option for fresher ones. I also think they need to flavor the food a little without adding calories.

Troy Siren
June 28th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Delicious food that tasted great. Great meal plan that really worked.

Doyal Stewart
June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

My wife had me to the Nutrisystem thing with her. I hated it and wouldn't do it after a couple days. I thought it was nasty. I think I could take that stuff up the mountains with me and not even the raccoons would attempt to eat it. Just dry and nasty.

Maile Curtis
June 6th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Not my favorite. Their portions are so small and really not that good. I only lasted a few days on their products and I felt like I was starving. Do not spend your money on them.

Susan Stewart
June 6th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

We did Nutrisystem for a while. We lost some weight but the food was disgusting. I couldn't stomach eating it for more than two weeks. However, my sister and brother-in-law did this for months and saw huge success. I think they each lost around 40 or more lbs. But when they stopped and were eating carefully the weight came back. It is something you just have to plan on doing for forever if you want it to work. For me, I couldn't see myself doing it for 2 weeks, let alone for life.

Len
May 15th, 2017 Arlington, TX

Biggest mistake I ever made! I ate the food for two days and was deathly ill for the next three... extreme nausea and vomiting. When I called to cancel, I was told that it was my fault the food made me sick because I was not following the program. However, I was strictly following the program outlined in the literature I received with the food. The representative still tried to convince me to continue the program, even though I explained it was making me sick. She finally agreed to cancel my subscription but still charged me a $125.00 cancellation fee. So, I am out just over $500.00 for food I cannot eat. Lesson learned, I guess. Stay away from Nutrisystem!

Courtney
September 1st, 2016 Indianapolis, IN

I just finished week 2 of Nutrisystem. I'm a 33 year old female, I was 151.6lbs when I started, I'm down to 148.6. I've been working out roughly 3-4 times a week for 30 min too, but it's sporadic. On the weekends I've been going out for dinners and had some wine too so I think it's working absolutely fine for what I need, which is thoughtless dieting. Pros: 1. It's awesomely thoughtless. I just grab what I need for the day and go. 2. Everything is labeled Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner/Snack. BAM, simple. 3. It has helped me narrow my food intake by alot, without having to really "count" calories. 4. NO COOKING. There is either heating it in the microwave or eating it out of the package 5. Most things are decently tasty considering it's food that's packaged with a long shelf life. 6. I travel ALOT, so it's helped me streamline not eating out or having something on hand 7. I can carry it anywhere. No frozen mess, no refrigeration needed. Cons: 1. The daily plan is kind of confusing. They spend more time emphasizing things like NuMi than they do really going over what you should be eating - because it says on top of their food you're supposed to be getting veggies and some protein. I just eat the meals and if i can find a good supplement veggie or meat i add it, if not then oh well. 2. It is the MRE of food. If you're a health nut, don't look at the ingredients because it's all preservatives (I still think it's worth the trade for convenience for someone like me that doesn't have time to find things like "quinoa" and spend 45min making a one course meal) 3. They auto order for you. So you can choose to 'delay' an order online but you have to call them to stop it. I didn't even get a chance to try everything so I would know what I liked and didn't like before the second order came in, which was kind of annoying. Oh and be ready for the auto $260 charge. 4. Not enough snacks per plan. Eating 2 a day I ran out by the end of week 2. You're "supposed" to find healthy snacks to supplement but I'd rather have the appropriate amount of 2x/day snackage.