Medifast provides portion-controlled meal replacements for weight loss, weight management, and sustained energy. With Medifast, you'll eat 6 small meals per day - you can combine the plan with your own meals, or have all meals provided by Medifast. The plan was developed by William Vitale, and M.D., in 1980. When Vitale first began the company, he only sold his products to doctors, who would then prescribe them to patients.

Medifast requires a medium level of effort. While they provide a majority of the foods, they allow you to add in your own food. Their site is filled with food recommendations, tips, and tools. Some of the tools they offer include:

• Chat function
  • My Wellness Dashboard / App (to keep tabs on your health)
  • Exercise guides

3.6
#2 Blue Apron chevron_right
#3 Schwan's chevron_right
4.1

The Good

• Variety
  • Customization
  • Special diets

Medifast is a great meal plan for variety. It lets you customize how many meals a day you want them to provide, and how many meals you are willing to provide. If you sign up to make some of your own meals, Medifast outlines food you should eat. Each meal plan is completely customizable, plus you can even order individual foods.

Medifast also offers plans for special diets such as diabetes, gluten intolerance, and gout.

The Bad

• Taste
  • Meal options

Although taste can be subjective, the majority of reviewers noted that they did not like the taste of Medifast, even for a diet food. While there is a large variety of food, most of it is just snack-type food. In fact, they only offer a handful of actual meal options.

The Bottom Line

Medifast seems to be an effective way to steadily lose weight. It also comes at a great price with lots of customization options. While replacing one or two meals per day with Medifast food may be sustainable for a while, using Medifast food for all meals may get boring and leave dieters feeling unsatisfied.

4.0

Brandie Rudy
February 12th, 2019 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

I love Medifast products. I lost 40 pounds using Medifast and was able to maintain the weight loss for almost a year. The food took some getting used to but once I tried several options I found that I was satisfied with the taste. I especially love the shakes and bars they are quick easy and able to keep me on track in my weight loss journey.

Ann Bailey
February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I lost my last 20 pounds with Medifast. The program was easy to follow, and constant mentoring by my health coach still gives me encouragement even when I'm not on the plan. I had to give it four stars, because some of the food just doesn't taste good, no matter how many hacks you try.

Keri Christensen
February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I used this system and it worked really well for me. I lost 30 lbs. in 3 months. The food does not taste great and I got really tired of it after the first couple of weeks.

Brinley Knowles
December 19th, 2018 Smithfield, UT DETAILS

I was on this diet for four months and I had lost over twenty pounds. It is such a great plan if you stick with it and are consistent. It is tough at first but once you get used to everything it gets easier and it is all worth it in the end.

Amber
September 21st, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT

The Medifast system works. I lost 15 lbs. in the first 2 months. The meals are okay. My favorite was the brownie that you cook in the microwave. There are a lot of choices and even some options online that you can use to doctor up some of the meals or turn them into something else completely. One of the downsides is that I had to set a timer to help myself remember to eat every 2-3 hours.

Sofie Rosenvall
September 19th, 2018 Alpine, UT

I purchased Medifast about 1 year ago... I instantly fell in love with their items... I was able to eat a warm brownie, chicken noodle soup, yummy pretzels, and drink a yummy chocolate shake to name a few! All while eating these yummy foods I was able to loose close to 40 pounds in weight... I am grateful that I found Medifast and stuck with it! Its an amazing company!

Lesa Burgess
August 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love the simplicity of Medifast. I lost a good chuck of weight rather quickly because it put me into ketosis. It was really hard the first week but after that I felt really good. When I decided to stop using the Medifast food I had a hard time transitioning and gained some weight back just because it's hard to keep up what you do with the plan and the prepackaged food. I felt like every time I really wanted to lose a good amount of weight I would have to go back on the diet and the food and I became kind of dependent on it. That's why I give it 3 stars. I thought it worked great, but it does not mimic real world eating and teaching of food habits.

Dale Ash
December 20th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

Medifast is a great service! I lost over 40 lbs. The meals are easy to prepare. They taste great! The health coaches are helpful. The biggest challenge is making lifestyle changes to keep the weight off after stopping the meal plan. The company provides the products and great support and teaches you how to make changes. Really a great company!

Charlotte Ash
December 18th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

I liked the knowledge from the books and coaching I received from Medifast. The food was okay but it was easy to use.

Jacinda E
December 14th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

I used medifast through take shape for life. The food is really easy to make and will get the job done to lose the weight. Take shape for life has awesome materials and a support system that will teach you how to stay at a healthy weight. My one complaint is that the food does get old after eating it for a while and it is pricey.

Denise Huber
June 2nd, 2017 Mona, UT

The food is pretty bad!! If you can stand to eat it, most people I know who have been on it do lose weight. But like most weight loss programs, once you go back to normal life an eating patterns, it's really hard to maintain your weight.