HelloFresh is a new way to eat delicious, organic, homemade without all the prep work. Unlike other meal plan services that send you pre-made / pre-cooked food each week, HelloFresh sends you ingredients.

Every week, you go to HelloFresh's website and select three meals (from five presented) that you want to prepare and eat. HelloFresh delivers everywhere in the U.S. Wednesday-Friday and Monday-Tuesday is select areas.

They drop off one box each week with all the ingredients you need to make three meals for 2-4 people. Food comes in an ice box and also includes step-by-step cooking instructions.

HelloFresh is available in the U.S., U.K., Australia, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, and Austria.

The Good

• Price
  • Options
  • Ingredients

As a meal plan, there are several things we really like about HelloFresh. The first thing is the price. Your partner or roommate and you can order HelloFresh's Classic Box and pay $6.50 each per meal. You can also order this food for one and have food leftover for lunch the next day. Overall, this is one of the cheapest meal plans we've reviewed on TBC. This may be because other products are already assembled, but HelloFresh comes with organic, fresh ingredients, so we think you get a good deal for your money.

Even though you only have five meals to pick from each week, these meals change each week. So really, you have 20 meals to choose from each month.

We like the you can see all the ingredients you are shipped. Ingredients are whole and farm-fresh. With each meal, you can also see how long it takes to prepare the food (usually around 30 minutes), the difficulty level, any allergens, and nutritional information (calories, fat, protein, and carbohydrates). This transparency makes us really like HelloFresh.

Not only do they list their ingredients online, but they also have a page dedicated to their suppliers:

• Masser Potato Farms
  • Birrittella's Bakery
  • To-Jo Mushrooms
  • Murray's Chicken
  • Love Beets

On their suppliers page, HelloFresh states that they work only with high-quality, fresh ingredients from around the country.

You can order HelloFresh meals from anywhere in the continental U.S. (sorry Alaska and Hawaii), Australia, U.K., and several European countries.

We think that it would be easy to transition from HelloFresh into making your own healthy meals. HelloFresh teaches you what portion sizes look like, how to cook delicious meals, and how much food to buy (so you're not wasting food).

Here are a few other things we feel like HelloFresh is doing right:

• Transparent contact information
  • You only need to order one week at a time
  • Variety of meals
  • Healthy and delicious tasting food

The Bad

• Weight loss
  • Complaints
  • Company transparency

While we think there are plenty of areas that HelloFresh is excelling, there are a few things to watch out for. When it come down to it, HelloFresh is much different from the other meal plans we have reviewed on TBC. This is mostly because HelloFresh is not designed for weight loss like other meal plans are. Instead, HelloFresh is a "recipe-kit delivery service." It's for getting delicious, healthy, home-cooked food on the table.

HelloFresh wants to eliminate the food we waste because we can't buy the exact ingredients we need. They also want to give people another option than ordering takeout every other day. These are great efforts on their part, but we think most people who want to order meal plans want to either lose weight or maintain a strict calorie count. Hell Fresh states that their foods range from 500-800 calories per meal. For people trying to lose weight, this meal may be more than half of their daily allotted calories. We wish that they at least had a plan for people wanting to lose weight.

Along with lacking food for weight loss, HelloFresh also doesn't have meals for diabetics, gluten-intolerant individuals, or those looking for more heart-friendly foods in general. Overall, other meal plans simply cater to more people.

Most of their complaints have to do with the following:

• Billing / collection problems
  • Delivery issues
  • General problems with the product

All of these are things to consider before purchasing food from HelloFresh. On top of these, HelloFresh does not offer a trial period or money back guarantee on their foods. Other meal plan companies do advertise this. We do want to note that if your box has any issues or you can't eat the food they send you, they will give you the credit in full on your HelloFresh account.

We would also like to see an "about us" page on HelloFresh's website. We want to know how the founders are, why the founded the company, and what makes them qualified to send people recipes and ingredients each week. Are they business people, chefs, or doctors?

One more big thing we want to point out is that the prices we have listed on TBC are the current 'sale' prices on HelloFresh. We have no idea how long these prices will stay this way, or if the prices are only low the first time you order. The initial cost of the Classic box for two people was $69 - nearly double the new advertised price.

The Bottom Line

When it comes down to it, whether or not we recommend HelloFresh depends on what you are looking for in a meal plan. Even though the company is ranked relatively low on our site, we think they have many excellent food options and that several people would be happy with this product - especially if the sale price is here to stay. You could end up paying less than $8 per person for your dinner meal.

However, you if you're looking a meal plan that offers weight loss, weight loss coaching, a community support system, pre-made meals, or one that provides your food for every meal, you'd be better off looking elsewhere. We would recommend looking at our top recommended meal plan providers.

3.7

Mallory Millett

August 21st, 2018 Lindon, UT

A little pricy, but the food is DELICIOUS and fun to make. It also makes it easy for you to eat the way you want to.

Tom

August 15th, 2018 Orlando, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I liked the meals andthe choices I was given however they need to get a better delivery company. Lasership delivered my first meals without any problems however the second couldn't be delivered due to not having access, acording to them. I left a comment on the BBB's website where Lasership had a one star rating. I did not want to wonder if future deliveries would make it through so I changed to one who uses FedEx.

Savannah Prock

August 15th, 2018 Collinsville, OK DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great food and enjoyed it, all until I moved. The app shipped to wrong new address (even if I had proof of address change). Card was charged and paid. Several calls to customer service and was hung up on or never answered. Finally got ahold of someone and they informed me there was nothing they can do and don’t refund money. I canceled my subscription right away. The food is great, until you have to do something outside the norm.

Paige Jenkins

August 15th, 2018 Oklahoma City, OK DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hello Fresh is a definite yes!! Everything came super easily packaged with clear, concise directions. Not to mention, there was a TERRIBLE storm today, and i didn’t get home til 10:00 this evening and my package was still perfectly intact on my porch! The end result was so delicious. I ordered the 3 meals for 2 people (the smaller plan), but it’s just me so I had dinner and then have an entire meal left over for later in the week. I am thrilled with this experience and will definitely be ordering again!

Hannah

August 1st, 2018 Lakeside, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

First using HelloFresh I liked it. It was nice to have set meals for the family, skip forward three weeks and we started having issues almost every week. One time our box was delivered a day late, everything completely rotten inside. Then boxes kept coming with missing ingredients so we couldn’t make meals. And the last time we got a boz from them our box was thrown over our fence, completely damaged and left outside the entire day. We didn’t know until we walked all the way out to the front that the box had been out in the heat all day and everything inside was ruined because all the ice bags melted from the heat. When I tried to reach out to HelloFresh the last time I never got a response and told them I would never use their company again or tell anyone else to either. HelloFresh is a horrible company.

Mike York

July 26th, 2018 Reno, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Has been an incredible experience. Not only getting my wife and I in the kitchen doing something together, but also granting me a better understanding of how to cook.

clberk

July 26th, 2018 Tacoma, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When the meals arrived they were very good and easy to make. The problem is they often arrived late and sometimes didn't arrive at all. It's very frustrating when you're counting on delivered meals to feed your family and then they don't show up. I ended up canceling my plan because they were so unreliable. I was able to get credits when the boxes were missing or the food had gone bad due to late delivery but it just all seemed like such a waste of food and time.

Alicia Holman

July 11th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The portions are way too small for the average person and/or family. While I think the recipes are good, but there isn't a huge variety. I wish there was an option for a larger family or kids that need more food.

Trista Siren

June 26th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Seen and heard how tasty HelloFresh is!! Had dinner with a few friends and had their meals they bought and i'm planning to buy some for my family!

Taylor Siren

June 26th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Great tasting meals with recipes from amazing chefs that are easy to cook.

James Crawley

June 12th, 2018 New York, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have subscribed to Hello Fresh getting three meals a week for about a year now. Overall I really like it! It's super convenient to have the exact ingredients delivered to your door. It's fun and easy to cook with the pictures and instructions. The ingredients are fresh and its generally healthy. My only complaint is the packaging for their chicken. Whenever we get chicken it almost always leaks out of the packaging making a big mess and is pretty unsafe. Other than that - awesome service!

Joy

May 25th, 2018 Tucson, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I ordered a classic meal plan last week, which allows you to select two meals. The package was supposed to be delivered yesterday, however my package didn't arrive on time, and also I called UPS to see what happened, apparently the package would be delayed in delivery, by another day. However I didn't find out until this morning that my package was damaged in transit and all the items had to be discarded, of course I wouldn't have known this happened until I checked the tracking number. I'm completely upset that this happened, I would never recommend this company to anyone! Bad customer service from hellofresh.

Kim Hansen

May 16th, 2018 New Lenox, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So far everything is fresh and tasty! Couldn’t complain!

K Robison

April 30th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

my wife spends way too much time cooking and this helps a lot. We have gotten it a few times and have really enjoyed it. Great food and simple preparation.

Chase Huntzinger

April 26th, 2018 Provo, UT

My wife and I did not purchase the meal plan, but the recipes provided on the website are absolutely amazing! I would highly recommend checking out HelloFresh to see the types of recipes you can make, even if you don't end up paying for delivered meals.

Dallin Smith

April 25th, 2018 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used hello fresh for a couple of months and really enjoyed it. The meals were good and easy to cook. It actually taught me a lot about cooking and gave me good ideas, but it was just to expensive to keep paying.

Erin Rhoton

April 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

HelloFresh has great food. The ingredients are very fresh and the recipes are easy to follow.

Jeff Martin

April 19th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My wife and I have gotten this a couple times and have loved it. Makes cooking during a busy week a lot easier. Good food

Anne Marie Milne

April 16th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Went to a friend's house the other night and they were making their HelloFresh meal. I had some and it was delicious. And they barely had to spend any time on it because everything was all ready for them! It is such a good thing for when you are busy or if you just want your cooking experience to be easier.

Mari Vazquez

April 12th, 2018 Medford, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I absolutely love Hello Fresh. My six year old is an inspiring chef and wants to be on masterchef. Its easy step by step for her and she makes all the meals with such excitement. She loves choosing the meals and learning about new ingredients. Thank you so much for making dinner fun!

Dwayne Reid

April 12th, 2018 Daytona Beach, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is my first time purchasing the meal plan, and I would like to thank the team st Hello Fresh for properly preparing the ingredients so that I could easily prepare the meal.

Kaitlyn

April 9th, 2018 New Orleans, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

In general, the ingredients could be more differentiated, but you can tell that Hello Fresh is trying to do that. The app is getting better and better each time they update it, too. The food is friggin' delicious and *very* well-balanced. We have 3x/2wk for 2 ppl - we used to do 4x/2wk but found that one meal always overlapped. The goods stay fresh for about a week, but after that the greens will start to wilt (like REAL food, guys, expect this to happen). Adjusting plans is so dang easy, like, it's a button. You just press it. No hassle. The wine delivery is TOP notch, too. Nothing but stuff I've never seen during cursory in-store shopping; the white wine has been perfect every single time. TL;DR - the most creative and teachable recipes, the FRESHEST ingredients, responsible packaging (they try new stuff all the time, too), and great customer service. A+ 100!

Brenda Larsen

April 9th, 2018 Westbrook, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hello fresh is great! The meals are flavorful and filling. I have had squashed produce once out of many boxes. I would, and have recommended it to everyone!

Hollie

April 9th, 2018 Fayetteville, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am able to give my family and myself a variety that would be too costly if I bought it on my own. The ingredients have been so fresh and flavors are a great bold mix. I’ve never had issues with deliveries or with my food not maintaining a cold temp until I get home! WE LOVE IT!!

Landon Robison

April 9th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love HelloFresh. Their food prep comes in a simple package, and nothing is ever damaged or gone bad. It makes cooking a nice meal simple and inexpensive. Great for if you have a busy schedule.

Richard Booth

April 3rd, 2018 Barberton, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hello Fresh seems like a great service. They provide an opportunity to try new meals. Recipes are easy to follow and the meals we made turned out great! There should be options for an a la carte option and for those with larger families. Maybe ideas for future expansion?

Ed

March 15th, 2018 Washington, DC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love it because it is convenient, affordable, less time consuming than other like-minded services. You can customize it for you own needs from vegetarian to meat and fish dishes.

Nate Stephens

March 14th, 2018 Macclesfield, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I actually just got done eating a pork, potatoes, and collards dish my wife pucked that was awesome. In the past, approximately, 4 weeks of 3 meals each week we have not had a bad meal yet. The pricing isnt bad and the food has actually been quite good. Hello Fresh has been awesome.

Cheryl Cavaleri

March 12th, 2018 Peabody, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If i could give zero stars i would. My box was delivered to the wrong town 45 minutes away. I had to hunt them down to reissue a box, and they treated me like they couldn't have been bothered to deal with me.

Robert D Britton

March 8th, 2018 Hazel Green, AL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have only been using Hello Fresh for a couple weeks, about 6 meals and so far I have been very impressed. Meal have been really flavorful and easy to make.

A.J. Balbo

March 7th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My wife and I both work and have boys that are 13 and 11 who are involved in sports. Needless to say, we’re busy! HelloFresh delivers everything we need for complete, nutritious, and tasty meals to our doorstep at a reasonable cost. We’ve been receiving meals for three weeks and are delighted with the service.

Angela Gillett

March 7th, 2018 Minneapolis, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I'm not even sure where to begin. I love the idea and the simple meals. I do however have the issue that the green items haven't been exactly fresh however I have only received one box so far. I was supposed to receive my second box, which should have been received today, but it hasn't left the shippers location. So as of now, I'm not impressed. Instead of calling to make sure that I know how to select my meals, which is clear I know how to do, they could have informed me that my next shipment was going to be delayed. Not impressed with service but I do like the concept and have had some tasty meals.

Bryniya M Anderson

March 7th, 2018 Greenville, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Quick delievery, easy prep, delicious meals. Customer service is really friendly and assited with a refund because I needed to cancel temporarily.

Amber Moss

March 7th, 2018 New York, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Hello Fresh. All the food is great. The recipes were easy to follow and the vegetables were always fresh.

Tori

March 1st, 2018 Newtown Square, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love HelloFresh. The meals are delicious and easy to make. I love how they are packaged and preportioned. I have food allergies and they work around that.

Sabrina

March 1st, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hello Fresh is amazing! Cooking has never been easier, I’m a student in university & I’ve never had to cook my own food or had to plan my meals - Hello Fresh makes this easier. I’m learning so many new and yummy recipes and it’s not costing an arm and a leg.

Dave

March 1st, 2018 McKeesport, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Terrible customer service. Unpredictable shipping. Not worth the anxiety that they cause.

Lindsay Good

February 26th, 2018 Philadelphia, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great food & portions sizes were perfect!

Danielle Donaldson

February 23rd, 2018 Holly Springs, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love it so far. Only had it a couple of weeks. Kids are eating and i don’t have to think about what’s for dinner. My girls have even been trying their hand at cooking!

Tyler

February 23rd, 2018 Cedar Rapids, IA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This service is terrific for my wife & I... we love to cook, but with two young kids it’s often impossible to find time to choose recipes, shop for all the ingredients, then make a quality meal. Hello Fresh allows us to pick awesome recipes online, have the recipes and all the ingredients & recipes for multiple meals all show up together at our doorstep. The ingredients are always of high quality & the recipes are simple, but delicious. For only $10/ea we get to have a delicious meal & the satisfaction that we cooked it ourselves. This service is tremendous! Try it. You’ll love it.

Christian Bolden

February 23rd, 2018 Katy, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve tried Hello Fresh with my husband twice now. The first time came out exactly as it should have. The second time was a little rough, but it was fish and I’m not used to cooking it. It was super tasty both nights. It’s the perfect amount for us. My husband is super picky and he likes it a lot so far. Can’t wait to see what’s next!!!

Joshua B Hockett

February 23rd, 2018 St Louis, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Simple to order from 1 or more of 5 meals for that week. Can pick single meals or 4 meal sized packs as needed easily. Delivery is simple and accurate. Price for first time order was $75 for 12 meals (3x4). I found the meals easy to make and prepare un 30 minutes or less. You need some basic kitchen know-how but thats all to make this work well. I found the sauces, seasonings and glazes the most helpful of all.

Jen

February 23rd, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great ingredients, nutrition content, calories, and portions. Everything is very very fresh and amazing!

Isabelle Lajoie

February 14th, 2018 Wilmington, DE DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I wish I could pick only one or even two meals a week instead of skipping a week. I don’t eat red meat or pork so it really limits my weekly choices.

Kelly

February 14th, 2018 Dayton, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My experience with HelloFresh has been overall positive: great tasting and high-quality food, superb customer service, and very convenient. There was a time, however, when a cut of meat went bad and had to contact HF to credit my account. They did and were very helpful in doing so. They truly care about their customers. I would highly recommend to anyone looking to better plan meals each week.

Kyle Trapp

February 13th, 2018 Portsmouth, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have enjoyed Hello Fresh ever since I received our first box. It helps me and my wife plan out our weeks since we both work separate schedules. Hello Fresh has also helped us meal prep, and cut down on our Grocery store visits. We just go for necessary items now rather than gambling with a random cut of meat from a not so trustworthy meat counter.

John McFarlin

February 13th, 2018 Jenks, OK DETAILS arrow_drop_down

HelloFresh does a great job providing fun new meals that are easy to prepare with fresh ingredients.

James DeRuvo

February 12th, 2018 Santa Clarita, CA

Excellent ingredients. Tasty recipes. I like the app and how you can change recipes or skips weeks. Gives me control! And the ingredients were fresh, well packed and COLD!

Rita

February 9th, 2018 Farmingdale, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My issue is that I had asked for it to be delivered in front of my house which was an option. And it was left in the middle of my lawn and my box was dented. I canceled my subscription for further boxes. No one was home and anyone could have taken it off my lawn.

Jacob

February 9th, 2018 Rexburg, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

What I like about HelloFresh is that I get to learn how to cook food. Also, it freshens up my taste palette. In other words, I get to try new foods without having to figure what ingredients I need to buy. The food I have received have always been quality. One downside is that the pricing is a little high, and I really mean is instead of $10 a meal I would feel more comfortable in spending $8 a meal for what I get because I can go to the store and purchase meals even less expensive. However, there's a value, for me, it is the new foods, quality ingredients and learning how to cook.