HelloFresh is a new way to eat delicious, organic, homemade without all the prep work. Unlike other meal plan services that send you pre-made / pre-cooked food each week, HelloFresh sends you ingredients.

Every week, you go to HelloFresh's website and select three meals (from five presented) that you want to prepare and eat. HelloFresh delivers everywhere in the U.S. Wednesday-Friday and Monday-Tuesday is select areas.

They drop off one box each week with all the ingredients you need to make three meals for 2-4 people. Food comes in an ice box and also includes step-by-step cooking instructions.

HelloFresh is available in the U.S., U.K., Australia, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, and Austria.

The Good

• Price
  • Options
  • Ingredients

As a meal plan, there are several things we really like about HelloFresh. The first thing is the price. Your partner or roommate and you can order HelloFresh's Classic Box and pay $6.50 each per meal. You can also order this food for one and have food leftover for lunch the next day. Overall, this is one of the cheapest meal plans we've reviewed on TBC. This may be because other products are already assembled, but HelloFresh comes with organic, fresh ingredients, so we think you get a good deal for your money.

Even though you only have five meals to pick from each week, these meals change each week. So really, you have 20 meals to choose from each month.

We like the you can see all the ingredients you are shipped. Ingredients are whole and farm-fresh. With each meal, you can also see how long it takes to prepare the food (usually around 30 minutes), the difficulty level, any allergens, and nutritional information (calories, fat, protein, and carbohydrates). This transparency makes us really like HelloFresh.

Not only do they list their ingredients online, but they also have a page dedicated to their suppliers:

• Masser Potato Farms
  • Birrittella's Bakery
  • To-Jo Mushrooms
  • Murray's Chicken
  • Love Beets

On their suppliers page, HelloFresh states that they work only with high-quality, fresh ingredients from around the country.

You can order HelloFresh meals from anywhere in the continental U.S. (sorry Alaska and Hawaii), Australia, U.K., and several European countries.

We think that it would be easy to transition from HelloFresh into making your own healthy meals. HelloFresh teaches you what portion sizes look like, how to cook delicious meals, and how much food to buy (so you're not wasting food).

Here are a few other things we feel like HelloFresh is doing right:

• Transparent contact information
  • You only need to order one week at a time
  • Variety of meals
  • Healthy and delicious tasting food

The Bad

• Weight loss
  • Complaints
  • Company transparency

While we think there are plenty of areas that HelloFresh is excelling, there are a few things to watch out for. When it come down to it, HelloFresh is much different from the other meal plans we have reviewed on TBC. This is mostly because HelloFresh is not designed for weight loss like other meal plans are. Instead, HelloFresh is a "recipe-kit delivery service." It's for getting delicious, healthy, home-cooked food on the table.

HelloFresh wants to eliminate the food we waste because we can't buy the exact ingredients we need. They also want to give people another option than ordering takeout every other day. These are great efforts on their part, but we think most people who want to order meal plans want to either lose weight or maintain a strict calorie count. Hell Fresh states that their foods range from 500-800 calories per meal. For people trying to lose weight, this meal may be more than half of their daily allotted calories. We wish that they at least had a plan for people wanting to lose weight.

Along with lacking food for weight loss, HelloFresh also doesn't have meals for diabetics, gluten-intolerant individuals, or those looking for more heart-friendly foods in general. Overall, other meal plans simply cater to more people.

Most of their complaints have to do with the following:

• Billing / collection problems
  • Delivery issues
  • General problems with the product

All of these are things to consider before purchasing food from HelloFresh. On top of these, HelloFresh does not offer a trial period or money back guarantee on their foods. Other meal plan companies do advertise this. We do want to note that if your box has any issues or you can't eat the food they send you, they will give you the credit in full on your HelloFresh account.

We would also like to see an "about us" page on HelloFresh's website. We want to know how the founders are, why the founded the company, and what makes them qualified to send people recipes and ingredients each week. Are they business people, chefs, or doctors?

One more big thing we want to point out is that the prices we have listed on TBC are the current 'sale' prices on HelloFresh. We have no idea how long these prices will stay this way, or if the prices are only low the first time you order. The initial cost of the Classic box for two people was $69 - nearly double the new advertised price.

The Bottom Line

When it comes down to it, whether or not we recommend HelloFresh depends on what you are looking for in a meal plan. Even though the company is ranked relatively low on our site, we think they have many excellent food options and that several people would be happy with this product - especially if the sale price is here to stay. You could end up paying less than $8 per person for your dinner meal.

However, you if you're looking a meal plan that offers weight loss, weight loss coaching, a community support system, pre-made meals, or one that provides your food for every meal, you'd be better off looking elsewhere. We would recommend looking at our top recommended meal plan providers.

3.7

Montana

April 25th, 2019 Apopka, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love receiving my meals but eventually it just got too pricey for me to continue doing it. The reason I am leaving such a low rating is because I continue to receive phone calls asking me why I cancelled and trying to get me to come back even after I’ve asked that my phone number be removed from the system as I don’t plan on coming back any time soon. If I do decide to come back later then I can call but I don’t appreciate the continuous phone calls throwing me a bunch of offers after I’ve already said I’m not in the budget to start back up again. I understand they are doing their job but it’s a real nuisance that they just push to get your service right then and there.

stephanie sands

April 25th, 2019 DeLand, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Food is great! Even refunded boxes that were shipped late. But somehow when they charged my account for a new delivery that money disappeared and they claimed my bank disputed the transaction. I called my bank and they have not disputed anything and no money was put back on my account. So I guess it’s just gone.

Cindy Crooker

April 12th, 2019 North Highlands, CA

My sis gave me a gift card that was impossible to redeem. They sent me directions which I followed and in the end they only deducted $53.85 but not the $60 which was the amount of the gift card and they wanted me to pay. I tried redeeming this gift card at least 8 times and all it did was totally frustrate me. Be prepared when you order online. I never was able to redeem the gift card.

Kim

April 10th, 2019 Saint Charles, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have been very happy with our service so far. I joined to get of the rut of the same dinners over and over. The kids have tried new things and are enjoying it as well. I had an issue this week with one of the meat packages opening due to the ice pack. I understood the issue and I knew the meat wasn’t bad just popped open. My only issue was that it leaked onto the bags and some of the produce. I called and they didn’t have to ask who I was and with my brief explanation was refunded my week. It was the best customer service experience I have ever had. I see in reviews there has been this issue. I hope you figure it out but will keep buying.

Amy Heil

April 8th, 2019 Easton, PA

Ordered my first "free bpx" got charged anyway, they would not refund my card, said they would refund my subscription for later orders. First box came full of ground beef blood, package was open and all of the items submerged in blood. Called them and they do not send out replacements. Threw entire box away. They said again they could give me a small credit on account toward next delivery. Never happened!

JUSTIN COX

April 8th, 2019 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Decided to try out HelloFresh, Delivery was slated to arrive on Sunday 31Mar19, Did not arrive, contacted HelloFresh and they told me it should arrive on 01Apr19, fine. Get home from work on 01Apr and no delivery contact HelloFresh, and they want to offer me a credit, and argue with me about a refund, when I tell them I have no intention of using a service that couldn't even deliver the first order.

Roxianne Flowers

March 27th, 2019 Dallas, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Food is very high in carbs. Bread/pasta in almost every meal I saw. Also, when I first signed up with hellofresh, they offered an $80 off for first 4 meals, so $20 off per meal. When charged, I was charged the full amount. They claimed I did not have this offer on my account, even though my account was showing the discount. Then Hello Fresh charged me more than 4 weeks in advance for the first meal I chose. Also, when I selected meals with least carbs, they sent me all the wrong meals that ended up being high in carbs...burger, quesadillas, and potatoes. We probably emailed back and forth 40 times and still I encountered nothing but confusion. I thing they may be a language barrier going on there. I am greatly disappointed with this company. About a year ago, I used a different company. I cancelled account because I felt like I was cooking too much and life got kind of busy for a while. I have never had such issues with meal delivery company before and I have used Blue Apron before and had no issues. I will be going back to Blue Apron.

Bob

March 27th, 2019 Bellingham, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

No complaints at all with their vegetarian menu. Well, one. I like their recipes and tend to eat both servings right away. I've low body fat due to watching calories and exercising frequently, so tasty meals are dangerous.

Ashley

March 20th, 2019 Gunnison, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Pros: Meals are delicious! Delivered on time. Cons: Chose skip week and was still charged. Was told I had 4 freebies to give and when I tried to send them there was no link in the message but the amount of freebies I had decreased anyway even though I didn't send anything.

Karolyn

March 8th, 2019 Yakima, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They don’t deserve a star. I used the free meals from a friend. Was not impressed with the meal since I didn’t even get to select them in the first place. I deactivated my account. Waited a few weeks to see what was new. Well here is a warning!!! Reactivating your account automatically sets you up for more orders WITHOUT YOUR AUTHORIZATION!!! I now had $70 deducted from my account, received ONE email regarding this and the help I got was “well you should have let us know sooner”! How am I supposed to let you know if you sent me ONE email and it was letting me know my order is on it’s way! I will never refer anyone to this. Sorry but this is crap in my opinion.

Steph

March 8th, 2019 San Antonio, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Horrible food and service. They do not stop calling and mailing me! I do not know how to stop the harassment.

Alli

February 14th, 2019 The Dalles, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

On many occasions sent the wrong ingredients and would only credit account. One account was on the last box to be sent since we had deactivated our account due to many mistakes, they proceeded to only credit the account in case we wanted to reactivate and wouldn’t refund the money for the meal we were unable to make.

wayne sanders

February 12th, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hello fresh is a good place to have meal items delivered if there are just a few of you. I find it kind of expensive so that is why I have only done it a few times. The portions are rather small so don't count on leftovers. its a great idea and fun to do occasionally or when I have a discount code to use. I don't think it is intended for everyday day use or for several people. but hey if moneys no object then this is a great site to give it a go.

P Crawley

February 12th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I made several of these when babysitting my grandkids. They are always easy to prepare and delicious. My son and daughter-in-law have a subscription and love the food. It's a quick, easy and yummy meal!

JAKE

February 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hello Fresh is a great company. I tried them for our family dinners and it was really nice to have all the ingredients ready to use. It made things a lot less stressful when dinner time came. Its really nice not having to take the time to go to the grocery store to gather all the different ingredients. It is a little expensive though so we only used it a few times.

Cindy Bailey

February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The recipes are delicious. They are too pricey . I used them for about 8 months. It got ahead of me and a few times I ended up stuck in an order that I didn t need because I hadn’t cancelled in time. Easy to cancel. Always in time.

Lauren Jorgensen

February 5th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So convenient! This product is so worth the money! I would much rather pay for HelloFresh then go out to eat and it ends up being cheaper.

Chelsea Horrocks

February 5th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The only complaint I have about Hello Fresh, because the food and experience was amazing, was the waste of the packaging. Otherwise I LOVE Hello Fresh.

janalee sanders

February 4th, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used Hello Fresh once and thought it was pretty good. it was kind of fun to receive the box of cooking supplies in the mail! the items for the recipes that we choose all tasted good and even better when we put it all together. I feel like this service is best suited for very small groups or singles or couples. this is due to the fact that I feel its a little expensive and the recipes make fairly small portions

emma murphy

February 1st, 2019 Buda, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Horrible customer service. I will NEVER order from them again. Even the upper management could not accommodate when I was charged an extra week. Infuriating.

Marty Scanlon

January 31st, 2019 Havre de Grace, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My wife and I received a Hello Fresh gift card for Christmas. I tried to checkout the website from my phone and thought that maybe the mobile site might not be as easy to navigate as the regular internet site, but nope. The internet site was the same nonsense. The first clue should have been that you have to pick a plan and provide them payment info before you can even see if you're interested in their products (menu). Reluctantly I continued only to find out that it was nearly impossible to find out where to apply my gift card. BTW they will already pre-select a menu for you. I unchecked the pre-selected meals and selected three that we might like. By sheer frustration I just cancelled our new account. That's when my wife came in and said "hey they charged our account for 6 meals" this is after I cancelled our account and after I de-selected the 1st 3dinners that Hello Fresh suggested. I am in an acquisition career position and not an idiot when it comes to on-line shopping and scams. I can also recognizing when a company has a business model that guarantees that they will make a first sale every time. Hello Fresh will probably never have to answer for bad business practices in the US because Hello Fresh is foreign owned (Germany). I hope this review helps people.... and the meals they charged me for actually show up. As for the gift card.. I looked it up on-line and there are many people who've had the same issue.

Shayla Hankins

January 16th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hello fresh has the most memorable commercials and the beat food. I always feel healthy after eating my meals and they deliver before I expect everytime.

Madalyn Johnson

January 8th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love the meals HelloFresh will send me. No matter what i pick for the week i always know it will be easy, delicious, and healthy!

Wendy Baum

January 3rd, 2019 Oviedo, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Fraudulent web site. You are required to enter financial information in order to view any of their meal offerings. I started to enter my credit card information, but then realized I would not have time to unsubscribe from the auto-delivery. I left the web page and never confirmed a subscription. They signed me up anyway. No email was ever sent notifying me that I was now signed up for their service. I realized only after my bank account was charged that I had been enrolled. When I called their customer service they refused to refund the order that was already in transit.

Mom

December 31st, 2018 Westerville, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I bought 2 classic meal plans for two people as gifts for Hannukah. Neither got their email gift card. After a follow up call 2 days after they should have received it, the codes were resent but they came to me instead of the recipients. I then forwarded on the gift codes with the instructions of how to use the gift cards. Now 3 weeks later, I called to see how they liked it, I was told the codes showed up as inactive. Will call on Monday and try to get this worked out. Will never do again. If not for my follow up calls twice to ask if they got my gift, I would have never known that this gift never came!!

Brinley Knowles

December 19th, 2018 Smithfield, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love being able to get the food delivered to my door and then cook the food that has been delivered to me. HelloFresh makes it easy to make dinner for my family and I even use it to meal prep once in a while. Yummy food at a good price AND you don't even have to go to the grocery store.

Autumn Kallunki

December 19th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

HelloFresh is great and convenient. The recipes they pick are super yummy and I love that they send the right amount of ingredients so you don't have to measure anything out. They have fast delivery.

Alle

December 18th, 2018 Tualatin, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The first box I received was so welcoming. I got a 60% off discount, purchased the family feast package with 3 meals. The food was amazing, simple to cook, packaging is great and sophisticated; I was highly satisfied. Then for the following week, I did not realize it was too late to skip the week as I did not have the budget for it. I called asking why it was out for delivery and the guy we spoke to, although he could not do much in that situation, tried to help and was very nice about it. We cancelled our subscription. Then my boyfriend and I realized that the deal we are getting on our Hellofresh box is actually an incredible deal. We decided that we wanted to continue our subscription. Our box was delivered today and we opened it. Somehow one of the meat packages was punctured somehow and the juice was all over the bottom of the refrigerated box and part of the bags, but when we called about it to make sure the meals were still okay to consume, Kevin was so incredibly helpful and provided us spectacular customer service. He was able to give us a refund for our box and we are so grateful for that. Any time that I have called, the customer service has been very great, everyone has been really nice and understanding. They want their customers to be happy and satisfied. I highly recommend HelloFresh to whoever is considering it. Once you receive your first box, you will understand. It is just like opening a present every single week. Moreover, I forgot to pick the meals for this delivery so they picked for me and they actually were exactly the options I would have picked, so if you forget to choose your meals for the week, they will choose the best options. I will continue using HelloFresh. Overall, I have had a great experience and I hope you get to experience that as well!

Darius Williams

December 13th, 2018 Alexandria, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

really good pre made meals at a good cost. The delivery was very fast as well!

Christine

December 11th, 2018 Palm Bay, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had the most frustrating experience with Hello Fresh this year. At the beginning, everything was fine. I signed up for 3 meals/week earlier this year. After going over my budget I realized it wasn't a good fit for my family. Fast forward 8 months. I logged onto the Hello Fresh website to see what kind of Black Friday specials they may be running. Well, apparently signing onto the website "reactivated" my account (which was attached to a previous address and a cc that I no longer use.) I had decided once again that the plan was not a good fit for my budget. I closed out of the website and moved on with my Thanksgiving prep. A few days later I receive an email saying I needed to pick out my meals (Black Friday weekend). I searched the website but couldn't find a customer service phone # to call cancel the order A couple of days later I receive another email that my box is on it's way!! Customer service tells me there's nothing they can do. "It's out of their hands". They tell me my account is canceled and I have a credit that never expires. Today (approx 1 week later) I receive another email saying my new box is on it's way!! Once again, nothing they can do. Both boxes contain a pork meal which I don't eat. To top it all off the first box went to my ex-husband's house. So I have now paid for 1 box which I will never see and the other one has a pork meal I cannot eat. Worst experience ever!! Update: Hello Fresh never cancelled my account and ANOTHER box (with pork) was delivered!

Kaitlyn George

December 6th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have used this a few times, and the recipes are really good, however, there seems to be so much shipping/packing waste, and the portion sizes seem small (maybe my husband just eats a lot).

Starski Cene

December 4th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good if you don't mind not having 2nds/leftovers Pros: Tasty meals Easy to cook Fresh ingredients Cons: Small portions (just enough food) Costly if you have a family or want more food

Lindsay Fritts

November 19th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Tired HelloFresh last year and loved it. Got some great recipes and they were super easy to follow. Definitely made enough food for two, we had leftovers. If we cooked more at home, we would definitely do more HelloFresh.

Jason Pyrah

November 5th, 2018 Willard, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

HelloFresh has made workweek meals easy in my household. I like that the ingredients are delivered with the recipe and that I don't have to come up with new meals each week.

Kenz

November 5th, 2018 Buena Vista, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Like the food, most of the ingredients were in good condition upon arrival. Recipes are yummy! Pretty good variety. App is mostly simple to maneuver Shipping really makes it more expensive

Gail Park

November 2nd, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

One time order. All was good. Not able to cancel subscription. Used their “chat” to cancel. Now, order on its way. Forced to call Europe in order to speak to someone. Then transferred to USA. Currently on hold for 34 minutes. Apparently Hello Fresh does not care about their customers.

Abigail scoville

November 2nd, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

worst food experience my family and I have ever had. Food was consistently sent rotten or moldy and the meals when cooked with what was usable was never really a fun experience. Though so much food was sent bad we were never give a refund when we contacted the company.

Randal hyde

November 1st, 2018 Springfield, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

HelloFresh provides me with fresh dinners and lunches, delivered right to my home. I think the recipes are easy to follow and I like the convenience of the service. Customer service is easy to get ahold of. It is fairly expensive.

Isabelle Hong

October 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

HelloFresh meals are very delicious and pretty easy to make. They give you very clear instructions and pre-measure all the ingredients for you. It is very convenient that they deliver the meals right to your door. However it is very expensive.

Cayla Koga

October 26th, 2018 Fremont, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The idea behind everything being preportioned out is amazing. However, the lack of seasonings in their meal kits is a little disappointing. Otherwise its affordable, they have a pretty good variety of offerings, and it's easy to cancel or resubscribe as needed.

Barb Kirkland

October 25th, 2018 Imperial, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The food is good but God forbid you try to cancel! Their customer s rice is awful. No phone #, of course..just a "chat" back & forth which takes forever. We got 2deliveries after cancelling, & they refused when we wanted reimbursed! DO NOT use them!

Jodi Freedman

October 24th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our family enjoys Hello Fresh. We had a few problems with our order but the company gave us our money back. After awhile, the menus seem to lack variety.

Hans

October 18th, 2018 San Jose, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hello Fresh is my personal favorite meal subscription service. They have a nice variety of meals, from proteins to veggies to spices.

Heather

October 15th, 2018 Vernal, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Hello Fresh. Unfortunately, we can’t afford to order consistently because of the high price, but the food is high quality and it’s so easy to follow the recipes. The meals I’ve had are healthy and delicious and a real time saver for me. The food is always fresh when delievered. I had an incident where there was an ingredient missing from my box, but customer service was excellent and gave me a credit on my account to make up for it.

Adria

September 21st, 2018 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great concept! I enjoyed the meals they sent. Didn't like the fact that they sent stuff if I forgot to pick one but even the stuff I didn't choose was delicious.

Kane Ossorio

September 7th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have not had delivery issues ever, meals take ~30 minutes and I don't have a lot of wasted food every week. Can skip weeks easily. Have missed the deadline to change meals and customer service did it for me online

Noelle

August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love Hello fresh! Very healthy and super delicious recipes they have! Makes my life so easy so I love it so much!!

Kris

August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We tried hello fresh from a Groupon and really enjoyed the convenience of having precut vegetables. You still have to go and buy groceries but I feel my family of three ate healthy.

Trina Ward

August 22nd, 2018

Really good food that was flavorful and healthy! Although, it was a little too pricey for my budget.

Bella Houtz

August 22nd, 2018 South Jordan, UT

They have really great meals that all my family has loved. The recipes are pretty simple and are easy to understand. We love what HelloFresh has to offer.