HelloFresh is a new way to eat delicious, organic, homemade without all the prep work. Unlike other meal plan services that send you pre-made / pre-cooked food each week, HelloFresh sends you ingredients.

Every week, you go to HelloFresh's website and select three meals (from five presented) that you want to prepare and eat. HelloFresh delivers everywhere in the U.S. Wednesday-Friday and Monday-Tuesday is select areas.

They drop off one box each week with all the ingredients you need to make three meals for 2-4 people. Food comes in an ice box and also includes step-by-step cooking instructions.

HelloFresh is available in the U.S., U.K., Australia, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, and Austria.

The Good

• Price
  • Options
  • Ingredients

As a meal plan, there are several things we really like about HelloFresh. The first thing is the price. Your partner or roommate and you can order HelloFresh's Classic Box and pay $6.50 each per meal. You can also order this food for one and have food leftover for lunch the next day. Overall, this is one of the cheapest meal plans we've reviewed on TBC. This may be because other products are already assembled, but HelloFresh comes with organic, fresh ingredients, so we think you get a good deal for your money.

Even though you only have five meals to pick from each week, these meals change each week. So really, you have 20 meals to choose from each month.

We like the you can see all the ingredients you are shipped. Ingredients are whole and farm-fresh. With each meal, you can also see how long it takes to prepare the food (usually around 30 minutes), the difficulty level, any allergens, and nutritional information (calories, fat, protein, and carbohydrates). This transparency makes us really like HelloFresh.

Not only do they list their ingredients online, but they also have a page dedicated to their suppliers:

• Masser Potato Farms
  • Birrittella's Bakery
  • To-Jo Mushrooms
  • Murray's Chicken
  • Love Beets

On their suppliers page, HelloFresh states that they work only with high-quality, fresh ingredients from around the country.

You can order HelloFresh meals from anywhere in the continental U.S. (sorry Alaska and Hawaii), Australia, U.K., and several European countries.

We think that it would be easy to transition from HelloFresh into making your own healthy meals. HelloFresh teaches you what portion sizes look like, how to cook delicious meals, and how much food to buy (so you're not wasting food).

Here are a few other things we feel like HelloFresh is doing right:

• Transparent contact information
  • You only need to order one week at a time
  • Variety of meals
  • Healthy and delicious tasting food

The Bad

• Weight loss
  • Complaints
  • Company transparency

While we think there are plenty of areas that HelloFresh is excelling, there are a few things to watch out for. When it come down to it, HelloFresh is much different from the other meal plans we have reviewed on TBC. This is mostly because HelloFresh is not designed for weight loss like other meal plans are. Instead, HelloFresh is a "recipe-kit delivery service." It's for getting delicious, healthy, home-cooked food on the table.

HelloFresh wants to eliminate the food we waste because we can't buy the exact ingredients we need. They also want to give people another option than ordering takeout every other day. These are great efforts on their part, but we think most people who want to order meal plans want to either lose weight or maintain a strict calorie count. Hell Fresh states that their foods range from 500-800 calories per meal. For people trying to lose weight, this meal may be more than half of their daily allotted calories. We wish that they at least had a plan for people wanting to lose weight.

Along with lacking food for weight loss, HelloFresh also doesn't have meals for diabetics, gluten-intolerant individuals, or those looking for more heart-friendly foods in general. Overall, other meal plans simply cater to more people.

Most of their complaints have to do with the following:

• Billing / collection problems
  • Delivery issues
  • General problems with the product

All of these are things to consider before purchasing food from HelloFresh. On top of these, HelloFresh does not offer a trial period or money back guarantee on their foods. Other meal plan companies do advertise this. We do want to note that if your box has any issues or you can't eat the food they send you, they will give you the credit in full on your HelloFresh account.

We would also like to see an "about us" page on HelloFresh's website. We want to know how the founders are, why the founded the company, and what makes them qualified to send people recipes and ingredients each week. Are they business people, chefs, or doctors?

One more big thing we want to point out is that the prices we have listed on TBC are the current 'sale' prices on HelloFresh. We have no idea how long these prices will stay this way, or if the prices are only low the first time you order. The initial cost of the Classic box for two people was $69 - nearly double the new advertised price.

The Bottom Line

When it comes down to it, whether or not we recommend HelloFresh depends on what you are looking for in a meal plan. Even though the company is ranked relatively low on our site, we think they have many excellent food options and that several people would be happy with this product - especially if the sale price is here to stay. You could end up paying less than $8 per person for your dinner meal.

However, you if you're looking a meal plan that offers weight loss, weight loss coaching, a community support system, pre-made meals, or one that provides your food for every meal, you'd be better off looking elsewhere. We would recommend looking at our top recommended meal plan providers.

3.8

Karen Torino

April 2nd, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like some of the recipes that HelloFresh has but it can get expensive buying from just HelloFresh. However, they are very friendly and are willing to help you id you need it.

Mia miga7440

March 30th, 2020 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

HelloFresh sends amazing and easy recipes and ingredients! Its affordable and delicious for the entire family. Its great to have when you're a busy person who doesn't have time for trips to the store.

Ellie

March 25th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have never felt more energetic or healthy then when I was on these meals! The stress relief of not having to cook and fund healthy ingredients was so worth the money! Plus the meals were delicious!

AJ Wakefield

March 19th, 2020 Tucson, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We got a coupon in the mail and decided to try this company out! We prepared their meals for a week, and it was very yummy!

Haley Nemmes

March 17th, 2020 Boulder, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I LOVE hello fresh! They have so many healthy options and their meals are just amazing!

Daniela Garcia

March 17th, 2020 Miami, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very convenient if you live a busy lifestyle. The meals are delicious and always arrive on time. Can feed more than 2 people usually... very good bang for your buck.

Amalia AMLU5848

March 16th, 2020 Arvada, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

HelloFresh delivers delicious recipes, but it is overpriced. If you are new to cooking and can afford this service, I would try it out, but it is much more costly than purchasing ingredients for similar recipes at the grocery store. I also do not recommend this service for households greater than 2 people.

Rathan Kumar

March 13th, 2020 Trabuco Canyon, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great boxes for starters and an amazing deal to boot! I started their boxes due to the affordable price and been with them since!!

Myken

March 12th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My family loves HelloFresh. The food is delicious! Knowing my family is getting healthy food at reasonable prices makes me feel like I'm doing something right.

Brayden Ibert

March 11th, 2020 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hello Fresh is so easy to use. The food is gresh and the variety is good.i found the directions to be a bit difficult for a few dishes. I will continue to order from this site. I like not having to go to the grocery store as much.

Logan Hudson

March 10th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hello fresh provides me with healthy, affordable meal plans that I can make throughout the weak. They also deliver very quickly.

Rocio Diaz

March 10th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Used to be my most bought meal plan kit until I discovered another one. Good prices, food is fresh but not as much variety as I’d like.

Erin Glendening

March 10th, 2020 Livingston, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love the recipes at hello fresh for deliveries are they saying I wish I could afford it more often because it’s just so delicious.

Ashley Roberts

March 10th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hello Fresh is a very good service. Shipping is always on time and The meals are very good with alot of choices to choose from. My only problem is how much I here Hello Fresh in media marketing, It honestly made me reluctant to buy it just because how much I felt it was pushed in my face.

Kathy Faustin

March 10th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The food is always spectacular and their selection is very diverse. This helps me try new recipes that I never would have thought of on my own.

Jakob barre

March 9th, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hello fresh always send great recipes that are delicious and easy to follow. Really great for college students who don’t have time to go grocery shopping.

Jackson Barousse

March 9th, 2020 Kenner, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hello Fresh has exposed me to new foods that I never would have tried before and has inspired me to cook on my own far more. The food is always super tasty and definitely fresh (as the name implies). I'll definitely stay subscribed.

Eric Gagnard

March 9th, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Convenient and simple meals delivered directly to your door. The flavor is unmatched

Annie Chow

March 4th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Was going to start using this program but their food does not look as appetizing as they make it seem. And over priced.

Linda Webb

March 2nd, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We got a few weeks of hello fresh and loved every meal that we got. It was so nice to have everything we needed for a meal.

Dwhoush

February 27th, 2020 Theodore, AL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I didn’t enjoy Hellofresh too much. The food got repetitive after a few months and I realized I was paying more for Hellofresh then if I went to the store and bought it myself. It was more of a convenience thing. We ended up canceling.

Kilee Wagner

February 27th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT

Hello fresh is amazing! So great for busy moms on the go. Provides you with everything you need!

take7

February 26th, 2020 Sandy, UT

Food was yummy but not enough portions for our family of 7. Getting more would've been too pricey. I feel like you could meal plan better and get some of these same meals. It's great when in a pinch with time or brains and energy!

Rachel F

February 25th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used HelloFresh for a while but noticed that I spent as much time cooking these meals as I did my own recipes and many of them I would not duplicate because they used one or two ingredients which were hard to find or rare to my cupboard. I think it's a good thing to get you going cooking and if you just don't want to mess with grocery shopping. The ingredients were quality But honestly in the end it wasn't worth it to me for the price and time it took to cook.

Nichole Hiatt

February 20th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I tried a HelloFresh promotion meal and the food itself was fantastic. The recipes were easy to follow and we loved the taste of the food. It was just really expensive for the amount of food we got so we didn't continue with our subscription.

JDWain

February 20th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used Hello Fresh for about 6 months. It was a lot of fun getting the package each week and seeing what meals we would make. However eventually it just become too expensive to justify and we cut back our subscription

Jaci Rhoades

February 20th, 2020 Bryant, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My local grocery store recently started providing these meals. Everything is in a box with the appropriate serving sizes. All I have to do is take everything out and fold instructions. It makes dinner easy at my house.

Steve Franklin

February 19th, 2020 Mt. Dora, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Dont understand how reviews describe Hello Fresh meals as healthy. Pasta, cheese, pork, and beef were on many meals offered. My wife thought it would be a great idea. I tried two meals. Coconut rice and baby green beans were horrible. NO thank you. Canceled the first week.

Amy Christian

February 18th, 2020 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve tried all the meal boxes and Hello fresh is my favorite. Easy meals that are big enough for a family. Also nothing too weird or unique. But very tasty!

James Conder

February 18th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I bought my wife some meals from HelloFresh last Christmas because she wanted to see what it was like and give it a shot. We are SO busy with 2 kids in all kinds of sports all year long so we thought this might be something to help for good meals for a family that's on the run. The food they brought was absolutely AMAZING. Even out 2 picky eater kids really enjoyed all the meals that we got.

Donna

February 12th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Really like how all the ingredients came for every meal.and persie directionsme and daught cook togethwr

Mykahla Nelson

February 12th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hello fresh is awesome! They make the new so easy to follow anyone can make the recipes!

Mickey Wilson

February 10th, 2020 Sacramento, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have a Hello Fresh subscription, not as a diet tool but as an interactive experience to allow our grandchildren to have fun learning to cook. They make it easy since everything you need arrives in the box with detailed instructions. And the food tastes pretty good!

Jillaine Clark

February 10th, 2020 Orem, UT

I don't use this but my roommate does and she loves it! They think of everything!

Angelina Hamilton

February 7th, 2020 Jackson, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is so good! It’s fresh and all the meals come with everything you need. Makes dinner a breeze!

Bryndie

February 4th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delicious healthy meals! Prep was decently easy to follow, I thought the portions were pretty small for the price though.

Darbles32

February 3rd, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hellofresh was a cute little meal service for a little while. It got a little to expensive for us so we stopped but all the food was great and fun to make

Clarissa Crawford

January 30th, 2020 Lehi, UT

I’ve always wanted to try this but I don’t feel like it’s worth my money, it’s too expensive

Zac Cannon

January 15th, 2020 Gulfport, MS

A friend gave my wife and me a weeks worth of Hello Fresh and the food was great! It was real food and came with good seasonings and the recipes were easy to follow. If we had the money we would use this more, but I would recommend to anyone!

SkylarPickens

January 15th, 2020 Houston, TX

Really helps me make sure my meals are planned out and helps my family and i eat healthier!

Tiffany Nguyen

January 14th, 2020 Ashburn, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

HelloFresh helped me eat a lot healthier and the food that they provide is very easy to cook as well.

Debbie Fish

January 13th, 2020 Biloxi, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We thoroughly enjoyed our hello fresh meals! The only reason we don’t do it more is that our schedules just don’t mesh enough to cook together and eat at the same time

Heather

January 8th, 2020 South Plainfield, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve had a satisfactory experience with hello fresh the past 2 months. When I initially signed up I had issues with the free box I got, I accidentally ordered the premium meal and they charged my account t. When I called an complained, they reversed the charge and gave me 4 credits for the next 4 weeks. Only one time has an item been missing from a bag, it was Dijon mustard and I got a $14 credit. We’ve decided to continue as long as possible with hello fresh, it’s helped us eat more of a variety and healthier.

Kayla

January 6th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have bought a lot from this company. Too me it’s overpriced however a smart tool for beginner chefs.

Adrianne murray

December 31st, 2019 Brigham City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I ordered this for two months and although the food was good and the recipes were easy I canceled. I could not justify the cost. If I only had myself and maybe a spouse then yes. But this isn’t really for a large family. I do like how things are measured and easy to put together but not for large families

Michelle W

December 16th, 2019 Coraopolis, PA

HelloFresh is awesome! Makes cooking and grocery shopping sooooo easy. Not to mention the food is always fresh and good! ANNNDDD they always have deals and promos to take advantage of.

Angie Burnett

December 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Customer service was always fantastic when I had a late delivery. My only gripe is that sometimes the vegetarian menus got old and lacked any real variety.

Sanetta Rigby

December 4th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hello Fresh was a fun dinner experience. The food came fresh and packaged so cute. The recipe cards were high quality, so you could reuse them. Also, the food was easy to prepare and tasted great, fresh, and flavorful.

Missy Mamros

December 4th, 2019 Warrendale, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love the meals that we get from Hello Fresh. We typically order once a month and everything is always delicious and fresh.

Roman Christiansen

December 4th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The HelloFresh meal plans have gage my family an alternative way to eat! The plans are very healthy and not expensive!