Blue Apron sends you farm fresh ingredients and original recipes to cook 2-4 meals in your home each week. Here's how it works: You select the meals you want to eat for the week. Blue Apron then sends you perfectly portioned ingredients to make those meals. They also include step-by-step recipes that utilize foods that are in season. Customers can choose when the meals are delivered each week. Blue Apron was founded in 2012 in New York by Matt Salzberg, a former computer engineer. Salzberg believes that the best food is made at home, and that his company empowers people to make their own delicious meals. Today, they have grown to 501-1000 employees. Their goal is to help eliminate food waste by sending you exact ingredient amounts. At the same time, they also want to save consumers time by eliminating trips to the grocery store and meal planning.

The Good

• No hidden fees
  • Low-calorie meals
  • Variety

There are no hidden prices with Blue Apron. The price you see for meals includes everything - even shipping. Most companies that offer weight loss meal plans will charge consumers for their food and shipping (and they may throw in a few extra fees for a membership and consultant). But Blue Apron is different. Even though there is no guarantee of weight loss, Blue Apron's healthy meals are sure to help anyone struggling to eat healthy (and in turn, perhaps lose a few pounds). On their blog, Blue Apron shares the story of one person trying to learn to cook with healthy ingredients in order to lose weight and then keep on top of her goal weight. She used Blue Apron to do this, stating that their clean food made her food good again. Each meal from Blue Apron is around 500-700 calories. When you go to select your meals for the upcoming week, you'll be able to choose from six options (options change each week, so you aren't stuck eating the same foods). The options you get to choose from show the meal's calories, ingredients, cooking instructions, and cooking time. We like the the transparency all this information provides. You always know what you are getting yourself into. While TBC cannot provide unique commentary on the taste of Blue Apron's food, there are many positive reviews about the taste. They use traditional and unique recipes each week. Most people report the meals tasting healthy and light, but still filling. Another thing to note about Blue Apron is their variety of meals. While you may only have 6 to choose from each week (and most people buy 2-4 meals per week), the meals are always seasonal and always changing. Here is a sample menu for a week in July:

• Vadouvan-Spiced Lamb Burgers
  • Chicken Milanese
  • Cod & Miso Soba Noodles
  • Summer Bean & Mushroom Pasta
  • Summer Corn & Vegetable Chowder
  • Crispy Eggplant Pitas

The Bad

• Pricing
  • Weight loss
  • Experience

It is difficult to compare the price of meal services, like Blue Apron, that only provide customers with one meal a day, with full on diet food meals. Most of the meal plans that we have reviewed on TBC are for meal plans designed to help people lose weight. Because of this design, weight loss companies provide food for every meal of the day (some may only provide for 2 meals a day, while others include multiple snacks). Because Blue Apron's focus is on providing healthy, seasonal meals, weight loss is a possible secondary benefit. The company does not say anything about weight loss on their site, nor to they make any guarantees. For those interested in losing weight with a meal plan product, Blue Apron may not have the idea meals for them, In general, Blue Apron seems more expensive than direct competitors. If you look at the price of one meal (a little under $10), it's a much more expensive meal than other meal plans. However, it just depends on what you are looking for in a meal plan. Blue Apron has only been around for 3 years (since 2012), and was founded by a computer engineer. Many of the other companies in the meal planning industry were founded by chefs, dieticians, and people in business. This might be the only one that was founded by someone with experience in a completely different industry. We wonder what credentials Blue Apron's founder has and what experience he had in meal planning, if any, before starting his business. Even though the 2-person plan has 6 options to choose 3 from, the family plan only gives you 4 options to choose from each week. If you select the 2-meals per week plan, this may leave you with some variety. However, if you select the 4-meals per week plan, there is no room to leave out meals you don't like. We wish the family meal plan came with more options.

The Bottom Line

Overall, there are a lot of things to love about Blue Apron:

• Fresh, seasonal ingredients
  • Local ingredients (you can even see some of the farms your foods come from)
  • Perfectly portioned ingredients (no waste from buying pre-packaged food at the grocery store)
  • Easy meal planning

If you are a busy person, who doesn't have time to meal plan and shop at the grocery store, but you are still someone who loves to cook, Blue Apron is a good meal service for you. They may be a little more expensive than their competitors, but their interesting recipes could be worth it. We recommend looking at them and a few of their competitors (HelloFresh and Plated) to see which meal options look more enticing to you. Either way, you can't go wrong with fresh ingredients and a home cooked meal.

4.0

Xena Zeit-Geist
March 27th, 2017 Houston, TX

Blue Apron is awesome! It's made my and my partner's life much easier. The meals are delicious and have made us feel like pro chefs when before we didn't know how to cook at all.

Jacki Howland
November 21st, 2016

Absolutely Love BA so far, has opened our eyes to cooking in a whole new way. 2 months now and have not been disappointed in one meal yet. No longer as resistant to trying something new. Fresh and intriguing ingredients that are seasonal as well as organic!! Company also has great customer service. Only cons we have are the limited options per week, and more packaging waste than necessary.

Andrew Schnelly
August 13th, 2016 Harrisburg, PA

Well... I just cancelled my Blue Apron Subscription because it was horrible. I love the concept, and they have a good thing going and lots of other people seem to love them. So perhaps my experience was the exception? My first delivery was mediocre, the box was mostly crushed, some of the produce was rotten and the "fresh herbs" were wilted and heavily oxidized (also rotten). My chicken and my lamb were cool, and the chicken smelled border line usable (hey I work in a meat processing plant, so I know questionable chicken). I took this in stride, used my own supplies to replace the rotted ones and the meals were ok. My second shipment arrived... The carton was in good condition but leaking... The flimsy bubble wrap bag they pack stuff in was ripped (but the box was intact, do not look like it was caused in transit but at the source) the freezer packs were thawed out and some had ruptured and my food stuffs (many unwrapped) were soaked in freezer pack gel, this order was ground pork and fish, and it was pretty obvious it was not safe to use... So I contact their customer service.... No response! So I contact customer service again... No Response! By now I'm upset, so I contact pretty much every email on their site.... No response! So I go to cancel my subscription, oh that was a treat! Its not as easy as joining, that's for sure. I had to search the FAQ's to locate an email address, then email them, then fill out a brief survey, then wait for another email with instructions to be sent to me, then log into my account and do as instructed in the email they sent me... Through all that, no one from customer service or any other department ever contacted me about my unsafe and unusable spoiled order I received and what to do about it... I'm thinking I should just mail the rotten, smelly mess back to them!

Joan M Moore
July 18th, 2016 Smithtown, NY

I received three meals from Blue Apron. I tried to cancel the service before it arrived as there are no low carb or gluten free options. Due to a late response from BA, the shipment was in process. I was very kindly given the shipment for free, so great customer service, but a few days late. As the food was here, we decided to use it. We did not need to plan or shop, so that's a plus. The three meals were tacos suiza, cod and a pasta dish. Everything was clearly labeled with huge recipe cards that are easy to follow. The prep time was a bit long. LOTS of chopping of veg, which were very fresh. Lots of pots and pans. These meals were free to us, so I wanted to like them, despite not being gluten free or low carb. They were awful. Pretty much tasteless and time intensive. I am a pretty good cook, and honestly, can make much tastier, far less time intensive meals on my own. If you are looking to save time, this will cut out shopping and planning. Unfortunately at the expense of taste and lots of prep time and clean up.