Blue Apron sends you farm fresh ingredients and original recipes to cook 2-4 meals in your home each week. Here's how it works: You select the meals you want to eat for the week. Blue Apron then sends you perfectly portioned ingredients to make those meals. They also include step-by-step recipes that utilize foods that are in season. Customers can choose when the meals are delivered each week. Blue Apron was founded in 2012 in New York by Matt Salzberg, a former computer engineer. Salzberg believes that the best food is made at home, and that his company empowers people to make their own delicious meals. Today, they have grown to 501-1000 employees. Their goal is to help eliminate food waste by sending you exact ingredient amounts. At the same time, they also want to save consumers time by eliminating trips to the grocery store and meal planning.

The Good

• No hidden fees
  • Low-calorie meals
  • Variety

There are no hidden prices with Blue Apron. The price you see for meals includes everything - even shipping. Most companies that offer weight loss meal plans will charge consumers for their food and shipping (and they may throw in a few extra fees for a membership and consultant). But Blue Apron is different. Even though there is no guarantee of weight loss, Blue Apron's healthy meals are sure to help anyone struggling to eat healthy (and in turn, perhaps lose a few pounds). On their blog, Blue Apron shares the story of one person trying to learn to cook with healthy ingredients in order to lose weight and then keep on top of her goal weight. She used Blue Apron to do this, stating that their clean food made her food good again. Each meal from Blue Apron is around 500-700 calories. When you go to select your meals for the upcoming week, you'll be able to choose from six options (options change each week, so you aren't stuck eating the same foods). The options you get to choose from show the meal's calories, ingredients, cooking instructions, and cooking time. We like the the transparency all this information provides. You always know what you are getting yourself into. While TBC cannot provide unique commentary on the taste of Blue Apron's food, there are many positive reviews about the taste. They use traditional and unique recipes each week. Most people report the meals tasting healthy and light, but still filling. Another thing to note about Blue Apron is their variety of meals. While you may only have 6 to choose from each week (and most people buy 2-4 meals per week), the meals are always seasonal and always changing. Here is a sample menu for a week in July:

• Vadouvan-Spiced Lamb Burgers
  • Chicken Milanese
  • Cod & Miso Soba Noodles
  • Summer Bean & Mushroom Pasta
  • Summer Corn & Vegetable Chowder
  • Crispy Eggplant Pitas

The Bad

• Pricing
  • Weight loss
  • Experience

It is difficult to compare the price of meal services, like Blue Apron, that only provide customers with one meal a day, with full on diet food meals. Most of the meal plans that we have reviewed on TBC are for meal plans designed to help people lose weight. Because of this design, weight loss companies provide food for every meal of the day (some may only provide for 2 meals a day, while others include multiple snacks). Because Blue Apron's focus is on providing healthy, seasonal meals, weight loss is a possible secondary benefit. The company does not say anything about weight loss on their site, nor to they make any guarantees. For those interested in losing weight with a meal plan product, Blue Apron may not have the idea meals for them, In general, Blue Apron seems more expensive than direct competitors. If you look at the price of one meal (a little under $10), it's a much more expensive meal than other meal plans. However, it just depends on what you are looking for in a meal plan. Blue Apron has only been around for 3 years (since 2012), and was founded by a computer engineer. Many of the other companies in the meal planning industry were founded by chefs, dieticians, and people in business. This might be the only one that was founded by someone with experience in a completely different industry. We wonder what credentials Blue Apron's founder has and what experience he had in meal planning, if any, before starting his business. Even though the 2-person plan has 6 options to choose 3 from, the family plan only gives you 4 options to choose from each week. If you select the 2-meals per week plan, this may leave you with some variety. However, if you select the 4-meals per week plan, there is no room to leave out meals you don't like. We wish the family meal plan came with more options.

The Bottom Line

Overall, there are a lot of things to love about Blue Apron:

• Fresh, seasonal ingredients
  • Local ingredients (you can even see some of the farms your foods come from)
  • Perfectly portioned ingredients (no waste from buying pre-packaged food at the grocery store)
  • Easy meal planning

If you are a busy person, who doesn't have time to meal plan and shop at the grocery store, but you are still someone who loves to cook, Blue Apron is a good meal service for you. They may be a little more expensive than their competitors, but their interesting recipes could be worth it. We recommend looking at them and a few of their competitors (HelloFresh and Plated) to see which meal options look more enticing to you. Either way, you can't go wrong with fresh ingredients and a home cooked meal.

4.0

Asia Bui

January 20th, 2020 Gulfport, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I cooked a meal with my cousin using Blue Apron and we thought it was so good and such a fun thing to do together! I would definitely want to use blue apron more

Debbie Fish

January 13th, 2020 Biloxi, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Really enjoyed our meals from Blue Apron, just wish we had more time together to make the prep fun

Naya

January 10th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like Blue Apron. After seeing a friend's meal plan and options I had to try it out. It is very convenient if you are not always sure what you would like to make and the items in the recipe are shipped to you!

Sarah Marfo

January 2nd, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

College student who do not have a meal plan this is for YOU! After my freshmen year I got off my universities meal plan and began looking for food options. I ran into bluapron upon my search and Im glad I did. The food all comes in a book and is ready for a week of cooking. I was able to meal prep and make dinner for me and my roomate. Also the food has great variation and taste!

Adrianne murray

December 31st, 2019 Brigham City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I ordered this for 6 weeks and I’d say I like it better than the others I tried. But cost was a huge factor with a large family. Somehow me eating an awesome meal with a ton of kids watching seemed mean. And I couldn’t afford the it for everyone. So I really couldn’t justify it but when my adorable kids move out I would buy it again. Of course given that they are only a few months it’s going to be a while. My mom on the other hand loves it and it’s perfect for twin people. Especially someone who has cooked her whole life and I bored with the same stuff

Michelle W

December 16th, 2019 Coraopolis, PA

Blue Apron's meal prepping is an awesome experience. It makes preparing my meals easy and helps me stay on track when I'm eating healthy.

Connor

December 5th, 2019 Farmington, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Blue Apron is easy to order, follow recipes, and especially eat!! They had great food options, but I just wish they had more specialized allergen options. The recipes were so fun and yummy to cook!

Kaydence Bonino

November 25th, 2019 Riverton, UT

Blue Apron is a great meal plan, blue apron delivers pre-maid meals to your door. It is really easy and fun! It is a little pricey though.

Jon Posey

November 20th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Blue Apron is great, they have great menus, their food is delicious, and it is easy to prepare. We use it as a sales incentive at our work and our reps love it and keep asking for it every time we do incentives.

Amanda Rosen

November 15th, 2019 Warrendale, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Blue Apron is a bit expensive, but I think it's a great company to help you learn how to cook.

Katie

April 15th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT

When I was a nanny, the family I worked for ordered Blue Apron and it was such a wonderful service that helped me make dinner each night for this wonderful family. The instructions of making the meal are clear and concise. The food is delicious and healthy. Plus I felt all the items were very fresh each time the box arrived.

Brandie Rudy

February 12th, 2019 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Blue Apron is a life saver. We love everything about it. The meals are amazing they are easy to prepare, the 20-30 minute meals are our favorite. We can prepare them as a family and then eat together. Having all the needed ingredients is definitely my favorite part. We order 3-4 meals per week and save so much money over regular meal planning or eating out. The website is user friendly and has so many helpful tips as well.

Erikka N

February 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Really like Blue Apron. They have great promotions if it is your first time trying out their service. So that helps with the price. After those though it is a little expensive for a family . The meals are also a little different than what my kids normally will actually end up eating. So for my family they worked ok. The adults did really enjoy the meals.

Emily

February 7th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Blue Apron seems like a great idea- not having to plan meals all the ingredients there for you. But, it's not that great. The meals are sub-par, they use weird ingredients, overpriced, and they don't give you that much food.

Lauren Jorgensen

February 5th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have tried a different food delivery service. This on was my favorite. The meals are so good and easy recipes. I am not a good cook and Blue Apron makes me feel like a gourmet chef.

Chelsea Horrocks

February 5th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My favorite thing about Blue Apron is even though I don’t pay for the service any longer, I still have access to their app and all the wonderful recipes! It always gets me to try new delicious food instead of my usual boring go to’s

janalee sanders

February 4th, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

we have used this company, but only once. we had a great experience and it sure was nice have food options delivered right to me! it was helpful to have a great coupon to use as well. the food seemed fresh and the meal options were great. the coupon made it more affordable to use the service.

Keilah Phillips

February 1st, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Blue Apron is awesome. It always delivers fresh and delicious food. Defiantly five stars.

MaKayla Christiansen

January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have always received amazing quality products from blue apron. I have been able to cook meals I would never imagine making because of blue apron. They ship fast and easy and have easy instructions so you always make the perfect dish.

Dasha Directo

January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The selection with Blue Apron isn't the best. I think other companies have better options. I'm not a huge fan.

Jorden Laird

December 12th, 2018 Front Royal, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I got 3 months as a gift for christmas, and I was skeptical at first, but this has taught me so much about food and cooking and I've tried things and combinations I would have never tried before and it has all been amazing.

Mia Hernandez

December 6th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

recvd my blue apron package and it was delightful it had everything i needed and the helpful cooking tips were great saved me a trip to the store and it was nice trying something new

Rasmussen

November 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

They make delicious meals that are extremely easy to make. They help with dietary restrictions and differences, and are extremely healthy.

Lindsay Fritts

November 19th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Tried out Blue Apron the other month and really liked it. I liked that it included all of the ingredients (other than salt and pepper) and you can make a meal in a shortish amount of time. Sometimes I felt like the recipes were a little intricate for a simple meal for 2 people, but I ended up trying random things I never wouldve normally. I ended up not subscribing due to my schedule- I am not home often enough or at the same time as my fiance to cook a meal.

Angela Pyrah

November 5th, 2018 Willard, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Too expensive and not good food. The pictures look good but the food not so good, like McDonalds, but McDonalds is better and cheaper.

Rachel B

November 5th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had a blue apron promo code and got a discounted first week. I loved it, though it’s just too expensive for me to do long term.

Cassie Freedman

November 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Blue apron is real good for providing the perfect amount of food for the recipe provided. Most of the food tastes really good except the only problem I have is that a lot of their meals taste pretty similar

Samantha

November 1st, 2018 Avondale, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I received a voucher from my work for this awesome site and I’ve got to say, the recipes provided did not disappointment. I love the healthy choices and the convenience of this site. It has definitely opened my tastebuds to a variety of flavors they were not exposed to before and now love.

Joe

October 1st, 2018 Cumming, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

After 2 weeks in a row of late deliveries (rotten food showing up at our door), we decided to cancel service. My wife forgot to cancel in time for this weeks delivery, so for the 3rd week in a row, we got rotten food delivered to our door. Canceled and will not be back.

Noelle

August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love the blue apron!! It's so easy to understand the instructions they have! And they are always on time with their delivery! Very reliable company!

Thomas Hullinger

August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is a great way to get gourmet meals that you don't have to go to a gourmet restaurant to get. You can make them in the comfort of your own home with everything that you need and it is actually fun and inspiring.

Lesa Burgess

August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I mostly loved the food from Glue Apron and I also thought it was quite simple. My husband loved the meals. The downsides are all the garage you get when you order. There is so much material that comes in every package. I also don't like how they don't have a larger family option. To feed my whole family I would need to order 2 family sized orders and that's just too crazy expensive.

Kris

August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We tried blue apron through a Groupon and loved the food. It is a little expensive but I feel I eat more healthy with blue apron than quickly trying to find a fast food to feed my family. It is very convenient to have it mailed to you.

Bella Houtz

August 23rd, 2018 South Jordan, UT

One of the best meal planners ever!Their recipes are simple and easy to make and tastes so good!

Haley Houtz

August 20th, 2018 Herriman, UT

My husband and I love the food from Blue Apron! And I love that I don't have to take the time to go to the grocery store/plan meals!

Scott

August 2nd, 2018 Fairfax, VA

Blue Apron is for those that want the cooking experience without shopping for ingredients. It will not save you time or money compared to eating out. It definitely doesn't save time compared to cooking other meals at home but the time savings of not going to the grocery store may be worth it for some people. Best for date nights or being introduced to new types of food.

Jess Root

July 6th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The recipes are amazing. The directions are clear and if you want a way to have restaurant type food at home, it is perfect. It is a tad on the pricey side. But if variety is what you want and you don't want to have to plan too much and research ingredients, it is perfect.

Amy Singleton

July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I loved how everything was measured out and came fresh. Easy to make and gave new ideas for meals. I didn't like that I paid a lot of money for it and still had to do all the work. I mind as well have been out to dinner and saved the mess. It was healthier than going out. Cancellation was easy after I tried for a few weeks.

Taylor Siren

June 26th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Provides great meals and recipes from top name chefs.

Michelle Hawker

April 24th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV

I received Blue Apron meals as a gift. I absolutely loved them! It was wonderful getting every. single. ingredient. needed. We also tried new recipes, which was fun. It is something I will look into when there are just two of us and would consider sending as a gift. But a little too expensive for an entire family.

Erin Rhoton

April 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Blue Apron is great. I think it is a little expensive but the food is always great. The ingredients are also very high-quality.

Landon Robison

April 11th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I got Blue Apron on a promotional deal awhile back. The meals were really good and the instructions were clear. It was really convenient to have everything shipped to my door. Once the promotion ended I had to quit though because the price was a little too much for me.

Cassidy Gundersen

December 11th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Blue Apron has some good and creative meals for a decent price. I didn’t think they were amazing by any means, but it was good. The price isn’t terrible, but the portions were fairly small and each recipe took upward of 30-45 minutes to make. Overall I felt that it wasn’t worth the money.

Hannah

December 7th, 2017 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love Blue Apron! Cooking our meals together has been a blast and we still have the recipe to one of our favorite meals on hand. It's so awesome to have the exact portions given to you. The recipes are DELICIOUS. I'd always recommend it, if you're willing to pay for it.

Lindsey

December 6th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Blue Apron has a very user-friendly website and appealing interface. I think it's a great option with yummy food if you're a busy working family.

Nicole Cardwell

November 22nd, 2017 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It's a great gift and I have enjoyed being able to select different meal plans along with our gift cards and random sales.

Vanessa Call

November 8th, 2017 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I tried BlueApron first, out of all of the meal delivery services, and was not disappointed. each time there were new meals that I never would have put together on my own, but that my husband and I genuinely enjoyed. They are now part of our regular rotation! I struggled with the need to update my account each week, or I was sent items that really did not interest us - this, and the cost, were ultimately why I decided to cancel. I will say that the customer service is phenomenal. I failed to cancel in time, and rather than tell me I was out of luck, the amount was credited, my account cancelled, and still I received that week's meals. Overall a great product for those who do not enjoy meal planning, and like to try new meals!

Breanna Jones

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

We received a $40 off coupon so we gave it a try. I would never pay full price for this service or subscribe. It is too expensive. I like the convenience of not having to meal plan though. I wish you could choose what meals they send you. Two of the three meals they sent us were really good. If it was cheaper, I would consider subscribing.

Frances lorenzo

June 12th, 2017

I absolutely love the Blue Apron concept and honestly the ingredients are always perfect and fresh. It has conpletely changed for the better the way my boyfriend and I eat . That said, the delivery is amost never on time but their customer service department is always on top of everything to make it the best experience. I am considering similar services to try but for now I'm sticking to Blue Apron

Jenna Holt

June 8th, 2017 Davison, MI

I got a free week from a friend for BlueApron and I am hooked!! The food is fresh and comes so neatly packaged and easy to store once it arrives. The recipes are amazing and I consider healthy compared to a lot of other services! You can skip as many times as you want or if you are out of town. The BlueApron app is awesome too! Thanks BA❤️