Best Company Guarantee Purple Logo

Purple

8.0

LAST UPDATED: January 18th, 2022

Purple was founded by brothers Tony and Terry Pearce in 2015. The Pearce brothers have spent most of their high-tech careers advancing the world of cushioning. With the Purple bed, they put all of their research into making the world’s greatest mattress — and they figured out how to do it so everyone can afford one.
Purple currently offers three mattresses models: The Purple Mattress, Purple Hybrid, and Purple Hybrid Premier. It also offers an adjustable base, a platform base, seat cushions, pillows, and special stretchy sheets.

Here is a basic breakdown of the three different Purple mattresses:

The Purple Mattress (Q $1,149)
Available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King, Split King

Firmness: Medium-firm

Previously known as the Original Purple, this model is good for a back or stomach sleeper. It has a base layer of high-density polyurethane foam for support and a middle layer of softer support foam. The top layer is two inches of the unique Purple Grid cushioning material. Different from the Original Purple, which is no longer available, this model now has more edge support and a SoftFlex knit fabric cover.

Purple Hybrid (Q $1,699)
Available in Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King, and Split King

Firmness: Medium-firm

Previously Known as Purple.2, the maker suggests this model for back sleepers and more slender sleepers. This hybrid model brings together the company's original cushioning grid comfort layer and high density foam with a core support layer of pocket spring coils. This means that it will have more bounce and be more responsive than the original grid and foam model.

Purple Hybrid Premier (Q $2,299–$2,999)
Available in Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King, and Split King

Firmness: Medium (3-inch); Medium Soft (4-inch)

Previously known as Purple.3 and Purple.4, this hybrid mattress is composed of multiple materials. The 7.5-inch support layer is made with responsive pocketed coils. On top of that, the middle layer is an inch of high-density foam. Then, customers have to choose between a three-inch (Q $2,199) or a four-inch (Q $2,999) top layer.

The 3-inch is a good fit for couples who have different sleeping positions and people who don't have one set sleeping position.

The 4-inch is most comfortable for side sleepers and full-figured sleepers.

You can try out and purchase a Purple mattress at select retail locations, including Bed Bath & Beyond, Denver Mattress, HOM Furniture, Macy's, Mattress Firm, and Sleep Experts. They can also be purchased directly from Purple at two Utah showrooms or at purple.com. The following purchase policies apply with a mattress purchase direct from Purple.

The Good

• Patented Polymer Grid Technology
  • Financing Available
  • 100-Night Sleep Trial and Return Policy
  • Warranty Coverage
  • Discounts

Patented Polymer Grid Technology

Each Purple mattress features the company's proprietary Smart Comfort grid technology on its upper layer, covered in a special white powder. Rather than a memory foam layer for support, this layer of hyper-elastic polymer looks kind of like a big purple waffle, with lots of negative space.

This means that Purple mattresses can provide pressure relief while still supporting your spine. Additionally, the polymer material doesn't retain heat the way that a memory foam mattress does.

This comfort grid layer causes all Purple mattresses to be rated as Universal Firmness, making them good for side sleepers, back sleepers, and stomach sleepers. While each mattress has a little different feel, the firmness level is moderate, supportive, and comfortable for each sleeping position.

Its meant to feel weightless. The more grid material, the more weightless. So, for the Purple Hybrid Premier, the most expensive mattress, you can choose between three and four inches on top. Three inches is supposed to feel like weightless support and the four-inch grid option is supposed to feel like zero gravity. There's a reason why this option is suggested for side sleepers. It allows for your hips and shoulders to be cradled and supported with reduced pressure, while your waist and neck are still supported. It allows for cool feeling sleep while still supporting spinal alignment.

This proprietary cushioning material is also the foundation of the Purple Pillow and seat cushion.

Financing Available

Purple wants to make your shopping experience as pleasant as possible, and that includes offering a variety of payment options to suit your specific needs. This mattress company offers financing through Affirm on its website.

Affirm allows you to pay for the purchase in installments, spread out of a period of months, with annual percentage rates (APRs) as low as 0 percent, depending on your credit. You can pre-qualify online without affecting your credit.

100-Night Sleep Trial and Return Policy

Purple offers a very desirable mattress return policy. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you have the option to return the product within 100 days for a full refund. You just have to spend at least 21 nights' sleep on it before you contact customer service to return.

This gives you the chance to see if the mattress is a good fit for your body.

Warranty Coverage

Purple offers outstanding warranty coverage compared to its competitors. When you purchase a mattress from purple you are guaranteed a 10-year warranty coverage, whereas other mattress providers only offer a manufacturer's warranty for the products you purchase from them.

Discounts

Purple offers discounts for military, first responders, and students. The company even has a referral program.

The Bad

• Alaska and Hawaii
  • Shipping Options
  • Twin Size

Alaska and Hawaii

For shoppers who live in Alaska or Hawaii, it's not a risk-free trial. These people will get a full refund, less shipping, if they decide to return the mattress under the 100-night sleep trial policy. Unfortunately, this is a policy for many mattress brands, especially those that offer free shipping elsewhere.

Shipping Options

Due to different restrictions, Purple mattresses have different shipping options, which can be a little confusing. Here is the basic outline:
The original Purple can only be ordered with free ground shipping. There is not white glove delivery. That means that it will ship with ground shipping to your home address and you have to carry it inside.

The Purple Hybrid can be shipped with free ground shipping, but shoppers have the option to upgrade to white glove delivery. This includes in-home setup and the option to have your old mattress removed.

The Purple Hybrid Premier is a little confusing. The Twin XL, Full, and Queen offer free ground shipping or free white glove, with in-home setup and mattress removal. The larger size King and Cal King mattresses aren't able to be shipped with ground, due to their weight. They each weigh more than 200 pounds, so white glove is the only option, but it is free. Split King purchases ship in two boxes, so this isn't an issue.

Twin Size

Neither of the hybrid mattresses offer a regular Twin. Sizes start at Twin XL. This will only impact a small number of shoppers who are looking to fit a regular Twin on to an existing bed frame, platform bed, or base that isn't XL.

The Bottom Line

Purple mattresses have only been around since 2015. Over this short period of time, the company has gained customers' trust by offering high-quality mattresses with unique advanced cushioning technology, unlike any other type of mattress. With the addition of its two hybrid innerspring mattress options, Purple's product line has options to help nearly all sleepers get a good night's sleep.

Purple offers free shipping in the contiguous United States, a desirable in-home trial and return policy, and a 10-year mattress warranty, which is good, but not incredible within the mattress industry.

Have you ordered a mattress from Purple? Let us know about your experience with a quick review below.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

JJ Jenkins Phoenix, AZ

Purple mattresses are so comfortable. Our son has one on a bed that pulls down from the wall. I thought that it wouldn’t be comfortable because it had no box spring but I was wrong. It is super comfortable and supports my whole body so that it feels like I am wrapped up in a cloud or receiving a big bear hug all night long. It also isn’t sweaty like some gel topped mattresses that make you sleep too hot. I don’t roll to the center from wear. There is no wear. The mattress bounces back to its original flat shape every time you get up. The purple pillows are also amazing for cradling your head on comfort all night, too!

Katharine Hughen Memphis, TN

We purchased a king size Purple mattress over the summer and it’s been fantastic! Price: more than we wanted to spend but reasonable for this type of mattress. It has an expected lifespan that exceeds a traditional mattress and the quality is excellent Comfort: so comfortable. It really does evenly distribute weight and my husband and I have both noticed improved sleep from almost the first night. We’ve also noticed a reduction in back pain and snoring. Cons: due to the design of the mattress the sides aren’t as structured as a traditional mattress so if you need support when you’re sitting on the edge of the bed this may not be the best choice. Overall: the right blend of cozy and firm. I’ve recommended a Purple mattress to several friends and feel confident that we have a mattress that will serve us well for many years to come. Also, our dog loves it

Stephen Foltz Portland, OR

When I was younger I preferred a firm mattress. As I got older, I found I needed more cushioning for my increasingly aching hip and shoulders. My wife was content with our latex based pillowtop, but I found it painful to lie on it for any length of time. I read tons of mattress reviews and finally decided I would test several memory foam mattresses. I immediately found they were a bit hot after any time spent on them. So, I decided to go to the one store in my area that sold Purple, Mattress Firm. First impression was very good. The cushioning was there, and I felt like there was some ventilation happening, so it felt cool, to me. My wife and I bounced between the original Purple to the PURPLE3 HYBRID PREMIER mattress. The PURPLE4 was my choice, but my wife thought it was too much money and softness. So, we bought the PURPLE3. I was very happy the first few nights, but rewalized that my wife's insistence on a mattress protector was also preventing any air circulation and I was sleeping hot. Since I couldn't get around that I settled for the great cushioning. After almost 2 years of use, I still prefer the Purple to the previous pillowtop, but I wake up many days with aches and pains which take a little time to work out in the morning. I haven't gained any weight ( I am a bit overwieght at 215 lbs at 5'10") but the mattress seems to fell less comfortable now. I don't think the purple part has compressed, but I suspect the underlying foam may have become denser because the floating sensation is pretty much gone now. I'm inclined to think Purple have a great mattress, but it may need some improvements to convince me it is a longterm solution to restful sleep. I find myself tempted to check out a Sleep Number bed for the next mattress...if ever.

Daniel Cebrero CA

I absolutely love my purple mattress. I’ve had it for 4 years now and it’s as if it was brand new. I spent a lot of time researching this mattress before purchasing and I’m glad I did. I recommend it to all my friends and family if they are in the market for a new mattress. The memory foam feels great on my body and I don’t wake up with any more back problems and I wake up feeling refreshed

Jlbfla New Braunfels, TX

Tried this in full size. Unique design with little hollow squares that would bend with pressure. It was comfortable, easy to move and roll over . Seemed to ease shoulder pain from sleeping on my side. Very little movement from someone getting up and down. Good quality and customer service. Mattress pad added so do not feel the little squares when sleeping. Happy with purchase.

Cam Hall Richmond, VA

We are big fans of Purple - I sleep on one of their pillows nightly, and we use their seat cushion for long sessions of work or lounging. That said, I do not think their mattress is worth the money based on comfort, but I think it may be based on their customer service, warranties, and bundle cost savings (with their pillows and other accessories). I think their mattress is incredibly comfortable, but I also think you should test drive it (which they make easy to do) to make sure their patented technology is right for you (because it may be a turnoff to you if you’re used to memory foam). I’d recommend Purple if you can find it on sale or in a bundle with their other exceptional products.

Brittany Clark Meridian, ID

I was a little skeptical about this mattress at first but it turned out to be amazing! I have no regrets! The comfort level is 5 stars! I would definitely buy again when I need an upgrade. It has the perfect firmness for what I was looking for. It hasn't gotten a hump in the middle like so many other mattresses do.

Paula Pili Provo, UT

Heaven!!! We helped my aunt a bed because she needed the firm and comfy Conforming mattress I myself have a pillow and it is amazing! But, one day I will get it for myself. She absolutely loved it! It’s Heavenly! I’m purchasing this bed next! I’d recommend it to EVERYONE!

Kateri McKnight

My significant other has a purple mattress and I have literally had the best sleep anytime I visit. I have to schedule my naps around our visits Bc it’s THAT amazing. The mattress is plush & firm at the same time. It helps restrict the pressure off my lower back so I am able to sleep soundly.

michael L Wallace Arlington, TX

I purchased a Purple mattress not long ago and am very satisfied with the product. The pillows that we purchased are also great. The mattress is very comfortable and keeps its shape very well. The only reason that I gave the product a 4 instead of a 5 was because the mattress is priced pretty high.

Brittany Norfolk, VA

This mattress is soft just the way I like it my old mattress I couldn't sleep good at all but with this purple brand mattress I literally get the best sleep ever I would recommend everyone to get it

Rebecca D

Purple mattress has been one of the best investments I have ever made into my sleep routine. It has just the right firmness while molding to your body for a prefect nights sleep. Very durable and sleep inducing. Love it.

Michelle Crane Phoenix, AZ

Purple mattress was one of the first mattresses we tried at bed bath and beyond. Ultimately we did not care for the feel of the mattress but the quality was great it just did not offer enough support for us personally.

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

I have a Purple mattress in one of my bedrooms and it is the most comfortable Mattress I have. When I have had a long day, it feels amazing to come home to my Purple mattress. I've had to call customer service, only once, and they instantly solved my concern. Great company!

Purple Logo

Reply from Purple

Thanks for sharing, Roberto!

Nov. 1st, 2021

Hope Funk Chicago, IL

Very firm, supportive bed, solid customer service, and crazy heavy mattress. Support has been responsive and helpful, and shipping was pretty quick. When the actual bed arrived, it was in a 5ft tall cylindrical bag that I needed a second person to drag it up the stairs of my apartment. Once it was set up (give it 6+ hours to inflate and let the packaging smell filter out) it was pretty fantastic.

Erik Lewis Houston, TX

My favorite mattress because it is so cool. I sleep hot and the purple keeps me from overheating.

Luke Smith MN

Very comfortable mattress .the ordering process was simple and quick

14 hours ago

Russell Vastine Aurora, CO

I like how easy it was ordering a mattress and getting it delivered.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Purple mattresses and their other products are super comfortable. They have a ton of mattresses to choose from so it is impossible to not find the right one.

WastedTalent Binghamton, NY

Overpriced lump of memory foam. Not even very comfortable. After a few weeks, I decided to return the mattress. The process was smooth and in a couple of days, they sent a truck to haul it away to the landfill.

David Stickles West Jordan, UT

Great value and a very unique mattress design. Very competitive pricing when compared to the other similar new age mattress companies. Conveniently shipped and easy to set up.

Kristen Smith MN

Incredible nights sleep with no back pain .Quality product

Bryan Lienke IA

Switched from a queen sized spring mattress and box spring to a king sized hybrid Purple mattress with an adjustable frame based on reviews from colleagues at work. Super comfy! You don’t even realize when your bed buddy, whether your spouse or dog, gets in or out of bed, or roll. Highly recommend.

Michelle Bray Pleasant Grove, UT

Go Purple! It is worth the price. All of the painI felt waking up on my old mattress disappeared after I switched to Purple. Try the 30 day guarantee. If you don't love your Purple mattress you can get your money back. I am no longer tossing and turning at night. I finally have a great night's sleep. I highly recommend Purple!

Lan Gon San Antonio, TX

I have been looking at this mattress for a long time thought maybe was a gimmick but in the end I went ahead and purchased it hands down best mattress I have ever had I have two ruptured discs in my lower back l4 and l5 and I wake up with zero back pain I can sleep on my side stomach or back and it will not matter I will not get up sore or anything great mattress

Charles Walton Salt Lake City, UT

We have had out purple basic twin mattresses on the Purple adjustable bases for two years now. I enjoy the adjustable base and would highly recommend it. The mattress takes some getting used to. It is rather strange. I cannot say it was uncomfortable and slept well from the first night, but it is totally different experience than standard mattresses provide. To feel it, it feels very firm, but it cradles you body nicely after a few seconds. We, obviously, did not return them after our 100 night trial, so we like them well enough to keep them. The biggest drawbacks are that it can take a few weeks to get your bed and when you do it is very heavy. I set it up alone, but would recommend two people if you can do that. Do get the adjustable base. This mattress conforms so nicely to the hinge points in the base and has no tendency to stay straight as the base adjusts like some mattresses I have seen do. All in all, I consider our Purple mattresses to be a great buy. We have the base model, because when we purchased Purple had not added the two next level mattresses. I have studied the new mattresses and do not feel that they offer any major advantage over our base model. They certainly offer no advantage in cost. For me, the base model and the adjustable base makes a wonderful bed for a reasonable price. The added stuff of the more expensive models would not be important for me. However, the base model is medium firm, so if softer is your choice, try the upper models on for size.

kristy sowell Waynesboro, MS

Mattress delivered within days. Sleeps comfortably. Split pay made it easy to finance without additional cost. Will use again.

druian kipper Seattle, WA

Got this mattress about a year ago and have enjoyed every night with it, there has been a noticable reduction in back pain and a sounder sleep attained.

Greg Service jr Belleville, IL

I love how it came in the mail. But comfort isn't the best.

Andrea Winters South Jordan, UT

We’ve had our Purple mattress for 6 months now. It’s the most comfortable mattress I’ve ever slept on. I don’t have wiggle and adjust to get comfortable. Every angle or side I turn is comfortable. None of my joints hurts in the morning. I can turn over and get up without waking my husband because it’s silent and he doesn’t get bounced by my movement. We love our Purple Mattress, I cant recommend it enough!

Terry Riverton, UT

I was so happy to get my purple mattress! I went to a bunch of different stores trying out different mattresses - most were expensive - and I was uncomfortable with the salespeople. Then I watched the infomercial online about the Purple mattress...and decided to go for it! I sleep better - and I don't wake up with a sore back anymore! I'm a HUGE FAN!!!!

Tracy McMillan Orem, UT

I love my purple king mattress. I was having so much shoulder and hip pain until I got my purple. It did take nearly 90 days for it to be “broken in” and finally feel comfortable. Before that I had wondered if I made a mistake purchasing it. But with the 100 day trial period, it took the worry away and I am so glad I stuck with it. 4 years later and I still love it!

Cindy Simpson West Valley City, UT

We bought our king size Purple mattress 5 years ago and have loved it every night since. Before we bought our Purple mattress, my husband was waking up with sore hips and back. He had heard about Purple, so we researched it, liked what we found, and decided to give it a try. With the money-back guarantee, we had nothing to lose. But we instantly loved our Purple mattress and my husband doesn't wake up sore anymore. I also bought the Purple pillow because of ongoing neck issues, and it's the best pillow I've ever tried. I take it with me on vacations because I can't sleep without it!

Sophie Glendale, CA

I have gotten a purple mattress for over a year now and my sleep has been amazing and it feels great for my back as I have a. Sensitive back and can’t sleep on any mattress. The price is so worth it and it is a great investment that will last for many years and it doesn’t sag or get small it stays in the same shape and as nice as ever after a year , highly recommended

Elizabeth Black East Hampton, CT

I liked the ease of ordering online and have it arrive at your doorstep. It was fun to watch it expand after ripping off the plastic. Before using the Purple mattress, I would wake up with a stiff back, but not anymore. We also purchased the Purple sheets, which are strange, as they seem to be made of a super stretchy t-shirt like material. It works great for keeping the bottom sheet in place as you toss and turn, but it is very easy to lose the top sheet, as a simple pull or tug by one person sends it springing all towards them, and away from everywhere else!

Eric Daniels Gilbert, AZ

We love our Purple mattress! It keeps us cooler and we don’t have to worry about waking eachother up. I convinced my wife that we needed a new mattress and ordered it without telling her. She was skeptical but after one night she was sold! The one thing that we noticed is that it is a much lower profile than our pillow top king size so our bed is lower to the ground. We ordered the frame but it didn’t work with our headboard so our bed is a bit low as we already had low profile box frames. I think the remedy is to buy regular box frames but it was one more expense we didn’t see coming.

BaiLeY WiLsOn Dickinson, TX

I have had my purple mattress for 3 years now and sleep wonderfully on it. It’s not to firm but not super soft. The quality it wonderful.

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

Purple matresses are great! They offer free trials, so if you dont like what you have you are able to return it! The mattresses are so comfortable and greatly priced as well.

MoMo Fort Wayne, IN

The mattress is way too heavy to move or be on any frame! And the bed frame squeaks! We’ve replaced the original platform 3x and then we had to buy a really expensive new platform which seems to be doing ok, but we shall see.

sonia ann Brewton, AL

Not a bad mattress but I’m a side sleeper and it was extremely uncomfortable for me my husband loved it. They did offer to send a mattered cover to make it softer but I felt for over a thousand dollars I shouldn’t need a cover. They do have amazing customer service and did try to make me happy. If you’re not a side sleeper or petite like I am it’s a great mattress.

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

My husband bought us a Purple mattress after we had tried using a smart mattress called Eight. That mattress made us soooo hot at night, and I was pregnant at the time. It was worse than death. Once we got our Purple mattress, it was perfect for what I needed in support and temperature! We’ve had it for a while now, and we both sleep great!

Jared Provo, UT

I've never done business with Purple directly, but I've laid on one of their mattresses and tried one of their pillows and thought they felt great! It was a good mixture of comfortable and supportive. I would like to buy one eventually if I could find a good deal.

Lars Hamilton Carmel, IN

Best bed ever. Pricey, but worth it. Going on 4 years and I’ll probably never go with another brand. Truly innovative technology. Nothing like memory foam or traditional coil mattresses. I’m a bed snob now and it’s ruined hotel beds for life as I can’t wait to get back to my Purple.

jedimvma Tysons Corner, VA

i purchased a new purple mattress about 2.5 years ago and love it just as much now as i did when i first got it. it's so comfy. the only thing i dislike is moving it can be hard because it's essentially a heavy sponge, and flops over.. but moving anything large is never fun. i also purchased a set of sheets with it and they're one of my favorite sets of sheets. so comfortable, even after weekly washes. they're also the only sheets that fully fit around my mattress which is great when i have 5 year olds who love jumping on my bed

David Anderson Providence, UT

I have seen the ads for purple everywhere and thought that it was a gimmick. I purchased my first mattress online and it came right to my door. The mattress was very easy to open and decompress. From the first night it has been heaven to sleep on. Now the only question is how can we get our entire house switched out to purple. The sheets are good too!!

Amber P. Lehi, UT

My husband and I have home through quite a few mattresses over the years and kept waking up with back pain. We tried purple. It is a different type of bed, and pillows, but it has been amazing for us! We sleep better, the pillows keep our spine aligned. And recently they sent us an upgrade on the frame, which I love be wise there is tons of storage under the frame! They are great!

Sarah Provo, UT

Many of my friends were constantly telling me how I absolutely NEEDED a purple mattress! I was always unsure until I tested out the mattress myself and loved it! I loved it so much I had to buy one for myself! My recent mattress was causing me back pain and it was completely uncomfortable to sleep, but since I bought this mattress, it has left my body feeling so comfortable and relaxed as I lay in bed to sleep.

Hannah Barth Tallahassee, FL

My Purple mattress is great. The foam padding is super comfortable and lets me get the best sleep.

Samantha Grabert Salt Lake City, UT

Good beds, customer service is the best. Had a lot of trouble with ordering and getting our bed but Purple worked with us and was so helpful.

Anita pea Dallas, TX

We just started using Purple products and feel this is the next generation of great mattress ingenuity. I can't believe anything else being as comfortable and supportive. Thank you, thank you for the amazing sleep Purple.