Urban Decay is an American cosmetics brand known for its edgy products and eye-catching packaging and product names. Urban Decay makeup is sold online and in special retailers such as ULTA, Sephora and Macy's.

Urban Decay was founded in 1996 and was acquired by L'Oreal in 2012. Urban Decay is headquartered in Newport Beach, California.

#1 ULTA chevron_right
#2 Thrive Causemetics chevron_right
2.7
#3 Sephora chevron_right

The Good

• Wide Variety of Products
  • Vegan Products
  • Live Chat Feature
  • Free Shipping on Orders Over $50

Wide Variety of Products

Even though the Urban Decay website only carries its own brand products, they have a wide variety of makeup to choose from. Products are separated into the following categories: Eyes, Lips, Face, Body, Naked and Palettes. Each of these categories has several subcategories to browse through. For example, under Eyes, customers can shop for eyeshadow, eyeshadow primer, eyeliner, mascara, brows, false lashes, makeup remover, and tools. Popular Urban Decay cosmetics include:

• Eyeshadow Primer Potion
  • Vice Lipstick
  • Correcting Concealer
  • Waterproof Setting Powder
  • Perversion Mascara

Other products include cheek stain, nail polishes, and hundreds of more cosmetics.

Most people, even if not a makeup enthusiast, has heard of the Urban Decay Naked Eyeshadow Palette. This is one of its most popular and award-winning products. Starting at $29 this eyeshadow will compliment all makeup styles. First starting with the eyeshadow palette, it now offers a lipstick palette and highlighter palette.

Urban Decay also has a free email newsletter that sends information about new products and subscriber-only discount offers to members. To receive these exclusive emails, customers just need to sign up on the Urban Decay website.

Vegan Products

While not all of Urban Decay Makeup is vegan-friendly, it is guaranteed that the products listed as vegan are in fact made with 100% vegan ingredients. Urban Decay also prides itself on being a cruelty-free brand and is certified by PETA.

Live Chat Feature

Unlike many of the other makeup stores we reviewed, Urban Decay has a Live Chat feature on the site that allows online customers to ask questions to Beauty Advisors. The only other makeup store we reviewed that offers Live Chat is M.A.C. Urban Decay also has an 800-number to connect customers to the customer service department. These helpful resources allow customers the ability to speak with a makeup artist about the best brush set to get, how to choose the right shade for their skin tone, and get answers about all Urban Decay products.

Free Shipping on Orders Over $50

Urban Decay offers free shipping on all orders over $50.00. For orders that are less than $50.00, the standard shipping rate is $8.00. Urban Decay also has a Love-It-Or-Leave-It Guarantee, which allows customers to return an item for free for any reason within 45 days of the shipment date.

The Bad

• Difficulty Finding Tutorials
  • No Returns on Sale Items

Difficulty Finding Tutorials

Urban Decay features how-to and tutorial videos throughout the site, however, there is not a central location that online users can visit to easily view all videos. Browsing Urban Decay's videos can be difficult since they are not housed in one location. Customers may find it a hassle to click around the site in order to locate and watch the videos.

No Returns on Sale Items

Customers won't be able to return sale items to Urban Decay, so those looking to save a few bucks might want to make sure they'll be satisfied with their purchases before buying sale items.

The Bottom Line

Although Urban Decay doesn't offer any other brands, the selection is thorough. Along with award-winning eyeliner and the popular Naked Eyeshadow Palette this company is sure to exceed your expectations. In addition, the option to use the Live Chat tool to get advice from a Beauty Advisor is an added benefit of shopping with Urban Decay. This style of customer service is rare within the beauty industry.

4.0

Angelina Hamilton

February 6th, 2020 Gulfport, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have several products from them. Their pallets are great! All the colors go on smooth and last for hours.

Larry Fouts

December 4th, 2019 Corryton, TN

Apparently UD products are nice. However, their customer service is horrible as is their billing practice. I ordered $105.05 worth of products. UD pre-authorized the amount and then billed me $104.05 when shipped. The dollar discrepancy was tax estimation according to UD. The problem is that the pre-authorization is pending at the bank. The incompetent person at UD tried to explain that they are not holding funds and kept talking over me while i was trying to explain. The bank requires information from UD on letter head requesting release of funds, or wait until the 3 to 5 business days for the pending purchase to drop off. The UD rep said she doesnt have any letter head and that I need to go to my bank. I explained to her over and over that the bank sees it as two potential purchases, especially with the dollar variance. She just could not comprehend this. I said I am sure someone on billing has the ability to do what the bank requires. She said , " well, I am not in billing " I said, "maam, that is why I asked for billing to begin with on this phone call". After a little more arguing, i got her to transfer me to billing. 15 minutes later, nobody returned to the phone. Since I dont use their products I can only rate off the billing practice and customer service which would be a 0.

Tiffany

December 13th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

LOVE!!!!! Great products I absolutely LOVE their mascara however i wish it was waterproof.

Mia Hernandez

December 12th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

urban decay is one of my favorite make up brands but it is pretty expensive if you can afford it i highly recommend the pigment in there eye shadows is amazing and they have a verity of colors which is nice your definitely getting what you pay for

Dee Farquharson

December 6th, 2018 Washington, DC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love their all nighter foundation! It's so matte and smooth and I get a lot of compliments on it not bad for the price as well. Their setting spray works well with it, too

Sara Jane

July 18th, 2018 Crestwood, KY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Two words. Eye primer. It is an absolute must have for anyone serious about their makeup.

Nana Asiata

June 5th, 2018 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Urban Decay is a great place also to start shopping when starting to put makeup on. They have great service that helps find whats is right for you and your skin.

L. Fowler

May 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love their eye primer and have been impressed with it's longevity and how it helps my eye make up stay put all day.

Madi Thompson

April 15th, 2018 Ogden, UT

I've really enjoyed purchasing Urban Decay products. I'm a huge fan of what they sell and how they're mostly cruelty free. The makeup artists are very talented and friendly. I'd highly recommend going to an Urban Decay event and trying them out.

Sandy

April 14th, 2018 Seaside, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Way over priced makeup. They continue to raise their prices. So lame.

Landon Robison

April 12th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My wife gets all of her makeup from Urban Decay. She has tried a lot of different brands and Urban Decay is one of the few that is high quality and lasts throughout the day. I had to buy her a new pallet holder because she was running out of room with all of her pallets! They're a bit more expensive, but my wife agrees that it's worth the price.

Lindsey

December 9th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I got Urban Decay once, and some of their products are my style, and some are not. I think they're good products for the price.

Hannah

December 9th, 2017 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

All the products I've bought from Urban Decay have been high-quality and I love using them. Their eyeshadow primer is my personal favorite.

Raquel

November 29th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am obsessed with all their products. Have never had an issue with anything.

Nichole Davidson

November 13th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've tried many of their eyeshadow palettes and they've all been highly pigmented and blend easily. Urban Decay has a wide selection of colors and always comes out with new special edition palettes in collaboration with others or during the holidays. I use their eyelid primer and have always been happy with how long my makeup has stays on. They also have a great setting spray that keeps all your makeup in place all day long and that doesn't happen naturally for me.

Rachel Fagan

November 13th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Urban Decays products are always high quality with great pigmentation in the eyeshadows and long lasting foundations and lip sticks. Their customer service is also high quality.

Sandra Dubas

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I bought eyeshadow from them and its the best. The colors are perfect for every season and occasion. They have expensive products but quality is worth the money.

Lindsay H.

June 10th, 2017 Draper, UT

Urban Decay's eyeshadow primer is amazing; it will last throughout a long day/night of water/sweat/daily wear. I highly recommend it.

Denise H.

May 29th, 2017 Mona, UT

I like Urban Decay products and use their lipstick, mascara and lash primer on a regular basis. However, I do NOT like the names of many of their products. For example, I love the mascara I use, but it's name is PERVERSION. What??! Every time I use it I think about covering up the name with tape. I would probably buy more of their products if their names weren't so nasty; it's a real turn off.

karen robinson

January 25th, 2017

Hi I have just received a different product to that which I ordered. I rang customer services and spoke to a very pleasant lady who apologised and sorted it out straight away. I am a very happy customer and will tell friends of my experience. Excellent or should I say Awesome service. Many thanks to Urban Decay and to the lady I spoke to - wish I'd got your name x k.robinson

Katie

December 6th, 2016 Parkville, MD

I have been a long-time customer of Urban Decay, and last week, I ordered their Electric Palette because it was on sale (Yay!). When I received the palette, one of the colors was totally pulverized, much to my disappointment. I called UD to find out about a return, and after verifying some of my information, the customer service rep said she would be sending me a new one, free of charge. The palette arrived today, after only about 5 days of processing/shipping, with all colors in tact, and I am so happy. I have never had an issue with Urban Decay customer service, and anyone having an issue (that really sucks--I can empathize) is having an abnormal problem. If you call and treat the customer service reps with respect and are courteous, they will be more than happy to happily refund you or send you a new product. Also, Urban Decay isn't checking this site, so don't submit your issues here. Tweet to them or call their customer service number. Also, take a deep breath...it's just makeup. :)

Anne

February 14th, 2016 Phoenix, AZ

I ordered three lip gloss pencils. Tried one and it dried my lips so much that they peeled. Meanwhile I had already given one as a gift. I returned two but they only credited me for one. I wrote and told them again that there were two returned and to check the return invoice. Eleven days later they still have done nothing. Is someone in returns stealing product?

Ella

January 12th, 2016

Ordered an item from there, parcel arrives a few days later containing JUST THE FREE SAMPLES NOT THE PRODUCT THAT I ACTUALLY PAID FOR. Tried phoning waited for over an hour and still couldnt get through so I gave up. Emailed them instead and a few days later the response I get tells me they dont have it in stock so have cancelled the order and refunded my money. It would have been nice to have had a note telling me about it in my order, or a message telling me but NO, I only found out about this by querying the order. Poor customer service would not buy from again

summer

February 6th, 2015 Baltimore, MD

For 2 days now i have been trying to contact your company for 2 days. Ive email, private messaged with pictures and called plus live chat. This is really getting on my nerves. I purchased and recevied Vice 3 in horrible condition. 3 color look bad . dings and chips plus yes plus finger prints on my shadows ohhh hell no. I paid good amount for this palette to add to my collection. But its not gonna happen. Please once again fix this situation thanks