ULTA Beauty is a chain of beauty retailer located in the United States. ULTA, through its stores and website, offers a combination of over 20,000 beauty products. This includes makeup products, fragrances, haircare, skincare, bath & body products, and styling tools. ULTA also offers a full-service salon and makeup artist in each store location.

Founded in 1990, ULTA Beauty currently employs more than 19,000 associates at over 125 locations across the United States. Its headquarters is located in Bolingbrook, Illinois.

#1 Thrive Causemetics chevron_right
2.7
#3 Sephora chevron_right

The Good

• Ulta Beauty Makeup Brands
  • Rewards Program
  • Tips and Video Tutorials
  • Customer Service

Ulta Beauty Makeup Brands

ULTA customers can choose from hundreds of brands, including the ULTA Collection. Their featured brands include bareMinerals, Urban Decay, It Cosmetics, Thrive, O.P.I., Dose of Colors, Meaningful Beauty, Skyn, NYX Professional Makeup, and Benefit Cosmetics - though they sell many more brands in addition to these.

This beauty hub supplies almost everything you could possibly need to perfect your routine from basic skincare products to amazonian clay. Obviously, the essential products you can find are:

• face primer
  • makeup remover
  • makeup bag
  • brow kit
  • waterproof concealer
  • blush palette
  • makeup brushes

Rewards Program

The ULTAmate Rewards Program is free to all customers. Members earn one point for every dollar they spend and can redeem earned points on skincare, mascara, fragrances, cosmetics, and other ULTA products. By signing up for ULTA emails, customers will be notified of any Ulta Beauty sale as well as receive a free gift from ULTA during the month of their birthday plus earn double points during that month.

ULTA also has a Platinum rewards program, which members have access to once they have spent at least $400.00 in a calendar year. When members are upgraded to Platinum status, they earn points 25% faster and receive an additional birthday gift - plus, their points never expire. Plus, all ULTA customers get free shipping on orders of $50.00 or more.

Tips and Video Tutorials

Online users have access to ULTA's tips, video tutorials, Beauty Buzz, photo galleries, and new product arrivals through the Get Inspired, Beauty Consultation, and Share & Play sections of the site. Mobile users can access all these features and their account information through ULTA's mobile app. These videos allow everyone the chance to learn from professional makeup artists and reinvent their makeup routine. Whether it's perfecting your eye shadow skills or learning how to use a highlighter palette these professionals can do it all.

ULTA also has a Guest Services Center, which features links to information about your online purchase, gift cards, the rewards program, the return policy, and other frequently asked questions. There is also an online form and an 866-number for contacting customer service. ULTA's customer service department is available 6am-12am CST, seven days a week.

The Bad

• No Free Samples
  • No Wish List Feature

No Free Samples

While ULTA members can take advantage of online coupons and mailers, there is no mention on the website of free samples. Companies like Sephora offer customers the option to try out different beauty brands before purchasing them, so the lack of samples is a disadvantage of shopping with ULTA.

No Wish List Feature

ULTA also doesn't offer an online wishlist feature for customers to save future purchases. Customers who want to remember items to buy later will need to create a separate list on their own and then search for each of them when ready to make a purchase.

The Bottom Line

ULTA carries over 20,000 beauty products and offers customers the added convenience of being able to shop, return items, and the use of salon services at its many store locations. Customers who are on the go can also use the mobile app. Overall, ULTA provides an extensive selection of makeup brands to fit your beauty needs conveniently placed in one location.

Also, take a look at the other makeup stores listed on our website to see how ULTA makeup compares.

4.1

Stephanie Stanley

September 25th, 2020 Littleton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Products I regularly use and trust at a reasonable price. Good variety and fresh new items

Abby Wallin

September 24th, 2020 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ulta offers such a great variety of products- from high end to more affordable options. This is important to me because I like to mix up my makeup and skincare products! Their rewards program is also such an incentive to continue shopping there. The employees are very knowledgeable and can answer any questions I have. Bonus points for carrying The Ordinary in store!

Dominique

September 19th, 2020 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ulta is a great makeup store in my experience. They have a wide variety of makeup products and also have many self care products as well. This is a fun store to go to where you can find high quality and unique products.

Michele A.

September 17th, 2020 Little Rock, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

With three daughters - each with different preferences, it is difficult to find a single location where each can find the products that they want. ULTA is our one stop shop! ULTA always has the products that we want in stock and reasonably priced.

Lkirton

September 16th, 2020 Park City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love the variety of products that ULTA has to offer. They have high end products down to more affordable products. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable.

Yolanda Briganti

September 15th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The mascara I bought at Ulta worked really well. It was on sale therefore the only way I would have bought it but it stayed on and didn't smear easily.

isabel

September 15th, 2020 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ulta has a product for everyone from price to skin tone to lip color. I like how Ulta always has promotions and a good membership program.

Lottielyn Schwenke

September 14th, 2020 Orlando, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Ulta! I used to always go to the mall and go to all the different cosmetic brand stores I like but what I love is at Ulta you can go to one place for all the stuff you need. I appreciate that they carry both reasonable priced brands and high end brands.

Patrick Curry

September 14th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT

I love this makeup, it applies great to your face and love their eye shadow. The prices are great and never seem to get a bad product from them

Swedish_queen

September 14th, 2020 Cheyenne, WY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ulta is a great store! I can always findthe makeup I need there. They have everything from top notch makeup to grocery store items! Tje customerservice is always excellent too!!

Ben Borsh

September 14th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have everything for you're wife you're looking for and prices to not break the bank.

Eric Wilkinson

September 14th, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I'm a dad to teen twin girls who like makeup. When I really want to impress them, I take them to Ulta to shop the makeup section. They are in heaven and I let them pick a few things. The customer service is excellent!

Tagg

September 14th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ulta beauty is a very clean store inside and very well laid out. Their customer service is top notch as well.

Jessica Archuleta

September 13th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I bought a color Palette called Galaxy. It was my first time shopping at ULTA. I have absolutely loved it! The colors and tones are beautiful! I use it everyday and I lasts forever!

Dayna

September 13th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

ULTA beauty has such a huge variety of makeup and other products. It’s a great place to go get ALL of your higher end products and for a decent price.

Cassandra Collett

September 13th, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I live going to ULTA to by all the makeup I’ll ever need. Besides the fact that it’s a little expensive it lastes very long.

Tiauna Anderson

September 10th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love how many new brands ULTA is adding to their makeup department. The stores are easy to shop and the staff is knowledgeable and help me match the right foundation to my skin color. I recommend!

Brittany Wilkinson

September 10th, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My teenage girls and I finally have a store we ALL like to visit. We all visit different sections of the store. I love the ULTA brand makeup section and the eye shadow options. It's so convenient to get all the toiletries I need in one location.

Tony

September 10th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great selection and sometimes offers coupons that make normally expensive things a good deal.

Irinna Danielson

September 9th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

What I love about ULTA is that you can get designer brand makeup without the high mark ups that you see in other cosmetic stores. I like it because it's not intimidating, but there are still make up experts to help me find what I'm looking for. I've had good experiences getting good foundation and eyeliner and I just like that it's a good experience, without the pressure of being in a super fancy make-up story.

AF

September 8th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had great luck in the ULTA stores. I like that they have coupons pop up pretty often and that you can buy just about whatever brand of make up you want there.... although I do like the Ulta brand eye make up.

Tara Hammond

September 5th, 2020 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

ULTA has a great selection of hair and skin care products. I love their own line of makeup. It's affordable and had great options. The birthday program is fun too because you get to try a new product.

Emily Turn

September 4th, 2020 Kamas, UT

My go-to for beauty shopping! I love how I can shop for makeup, hair, and skin all in one go!

CodeeBell

September 4th, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Always great customer service and High quality products. I can always count on them to have unique make up and hair care. I Purchased my make up here and they always have some sort of special Discount running.

Shante Reeder

September 3rd, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love that i can have one place to shop for all of my beauty needs. They have very basic and inexpensive lines, as well as very prestigious lines. The people who work there have always been helpful! I love their return policy as well!

Kenzie Comstock

September 3rd, 2020 Woods Cross, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

ULTA has a great selection of beauty products! I like that they carry high-end products and products you would find at Target/Walmart or a pharmacy. I have bought several products from ULTA.

Matt Pioli

June 4th, 2020 Rochester, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

With having 2 teenage daughters in the family, quality makeup and cosmetics are an essential for them. ULTA makes that easy for us. In addition to makeup, they have flat irons, blowdryers, curling irons, and other cosmetic tools in stock at unbelievable prices!

k.

May 4th, 2020 Bonita Springs, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The service I have received has been inconsistent and my online order said it was undeliverable with no fault of my own. An overall disappointing experience for me. I've spent thousands over the years on cosmetics for myself and others as a Platinum Status member, and now prefer to shop at competitor stores if possible.

Mia miga7440

March 30th, 2020 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ulta is a great place to go for affordable beauty products. They always have everything I could ever need in stock, and its where I always go for any of my beauty supplies.

Andrea Diaz-Cepeda

March 16th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Shopping at Ulta never disappoints. Employees always ensure that any questions or concerns I may have are always answered. I truly appreciate that they offer to color-match me without me even having to ask. I also recently just used their salon and it was excellent. Excellent customer-service overall.

Daniela Garcia

March 15th, 2020 Miami, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great variety of products, from high end make up lines to drugstore brands. Always offering deals and specials. Great customer service and cruelty free options.

Katlyn Hockman

March 7th, 2020 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ulta's customer service is incredible and they always help me find everything I need. They also have everything that I'm looking for. I have never had one bad experience at Ulta.

cb

March 7th, 2020 Irving, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

the facemasks and makeup here is top notch! i bought so many products and didn’t spend more than $100! the workers helped me find the perfect tones for me and made my experience 10x better!

Anita pea

March 7th, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ultra was a great experience for my beauty needs. The employees helped me find what I needed and the prices were exceptional for what I needed. My acne finally went away.

OwenE.

March 6th, 2020 Hattiesburg, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I LOVE SHOPPING AT ULTA! I greatly appreciate their wide range of products, and their rewards program is simply amazing! Their employees are so helpful and kind, and I love shopping there!

Annie Chow

March 4th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ulta is my favorite place to go to when I feel like spending money. Their point system is so rewarding. MY FAVORITE!

Emily

March 3rd, 2020 Crawfordville, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Every time I go to Ulta I always end up leaving with something new and that's part of the reason I go. I love to peruse the new makeup they have in stock and I love that they have a balance of affordable and high-end makeup products. Their employees are always willing to help out and answer all of my questions.

Lauren Goodwin

February 24th, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have not been in an Ulta store in over a year and was pleasantly surprised by the super clean appearance especially in the Allen, TX store. I booked an appointment with the Benefit Brow Bar and had the best customer service given by Keturah G. She was extremely friendly and really made an effort to get to know me. Excellent job and I am a customer for life!!

Cade Boudreaux

February 23rd, 2020 , FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Ulta. I bought a couple of face masks for myself here and was very pleased with the results. The rewards program they have is great for if you shop there a ton and i would recommend getting my cosmetics from here.

London Larson

February 19th, 2020 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very good for makeup artists. You can find either high brand or low brands for whatever price range you need!

Lily Grant

February 13th, 2020 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Ulta Beauty! They have top brand items and there customer service is on point there employes are so amazing and they will greet you at the door and ask if you need any help and i just love that aspect about them.

Ashli Delph

February 13th, 2020 Cincinnati, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I went to the Ulta in Newport, KY and Cheyenne (i hope i spelled her name correctly). She was extremely friendly and assisted me with purchasing the correct shade of make up and also helped me find an amazing setting spray. Your company is very lucky to have such a wonderful employee. Thanks again for all of your help Cheyenne.

A’lea Richardson

February 7th, 2020 Lakeland, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very affordable and diverse makeup stores. They carry some of the best brands. I love their point system, it helps a lot when I’m not paying attention and buying a lot of products. Great employers that are always willing to help

Jamie Neider

February 5th, 2020 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Awesome return policy and they always have helpful staff. Love that I can find things online and pick up in store.

Angelina Hamilton

February 5th, 2020 Gulfport, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The employees are always super helpful and I can always find what I need, there is a great selection of drugstore and luxury items here and I can always find the right products for me.

Tiffany I

February 4th, 2020 Gaithersburg, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Ulta! So much to choose from and I like getting their emails/flyers about specials. They have a great Black Friday sale... I always find awesome deals.

Beverly Schacher

February 4th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Wow, great selection of beauty products at reasonable prices. Staff are readily available for consultation. Best of all is the ability to try most of the products to see if it works for you.

Darbles32

February 2nd, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

ULTA usually has a lot of good deals for makeup and I go there fairly often just for those deals

Taylee Warner

February 2nd, 2020 Nampa, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love love love Ulta!! I buy all my beauty products from here. I think they have such good choices and great customer service.

Tori smith

January 31st, 2020 Mesa, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ulta workers are always so nice and help me find what I want and they have such a good return policy if I end up getting the wrong item or color