ULTA

ULTA Logo

7.6

ULTA

You can shop, return online purchases or schedule salon services at ULTA's store locations.

ULTA is a chain of beauty superstores located in the United States. ULTA, through its stores and website, offers a combination of over 20,000 beauty products. This includes makeup, fragrances, hair, skincare, bath & body products and styling tools. ULTA also offers a full-service salon in each store location.

Founded in 1990, ULTA currently employs more than 19,000 associates at over 125 locations across the United States. They are headquartered in Bolingbrook, Illinois.

The Good

• Many Featured Brands
  • Rewards Program
  • Tips and Video Tutorials

ULTA customers can choose from hundreds of brands, including the ULTA Collection. Their featured brands include bareMinerals, Urban Decay, It Cosmetics, Living Proof, O.P.I., Mally, Meaningful Beauty, Skyn, Benefit and Tarte - though they sell many more brands in addition to these.

The ULTAmate Rewards Program is free to all users. Members earn one point for every dollar they spend, and can redeem earned points on skincare, mascara, fragrances, lip colors and other ULTA products. By signing up for ULTA emails, customers also get a gift from ULTA during their birthday month and earn double points during that month. ULTA also has a Platinum rewards program, which members can have access to after spending at least $400.00 in a calendar year. Once members are upgraded to Platinum status, they earn points 25% faster and receive an additional birthday gift - plus, their points never expire.

Online users have access to ULTA's tips, video tutorials, Beauty Buzz, photo galleries, and new product arrivals through the Get Inspired, Beauty Consultation, and Share & Play sections of the site. Mobile users can access all these features and their account information through ULTA's mobile app.

ULTA has a Guest Services Center, which features links to information about order statuses, gift cards, the rewards program, the return policy and other frequently-asked questions. There is also an online form and an 866-number for contacting customer service. ULTA's customer service department is available 6am-12am CST, seven days a week.

All ULTA customers get free shipping on orders of $50.00 or more.

The Bad

• No Mentions of Free Samples
  • No Wish List Feature

While ULTA members can take advantage of coupons, there is no mention on the website of whether they will be given free samples. Companies like Sephora offer customers the option to try out free samples, so the lack of samples is a disadvantage of shopping with ULTA.

ULTA also doesn't offer a wish list feature so customers can save future purchases. Customers who want to remember items to buy later will need to make a separate list and then enter them when ready to make a purchase through the ULTA website.

The Bottom Line

ULTA carries over 20,000 beauty products and offers customers the added convenience of being able to shop, return items or use salon services at their store locations. Customers who are on the go can also use the mobile app.

Allison Beach
August 21st, 2018 East Stroudsburg, PA DETAILS

Ulta is priced well has good sales and their rewards system is great

Lesa Burgess
August 20th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

The employees were so sweet and helpful when I bought a fraudulent product from a third-party retailer. I had no idea! But they were patient and taught me how to avoid fakes- FYI ulta NEVER sells damaged product to outside retailers!

Bella Houtz
August 17th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I really like a lot of things at Ulta. It has a huge inventory but some things are overpriced.

Jennifer Jones
August 16th, 2018 Modesto, CA DETAILS

Overall my experience with Ulta has been positive every time I visited the store. I am a platinum member so I have been there many times . They always ask me if I need any help,. I rather shop at Ulta then Sephora because Sephora workers are rude (to my daughters) when they go there; Following them like they’re going to steal, when they have plenty of money because they work very hard . And my daughters are grown and are very classy and educated . So Ulta is awesome! Friendly staff, if they don’t have an item in stock, they give you free shipping coupon if you need to order it online.

Cristella
August 16th, 2018 La Habra, CA DETAILS

My experience with ulta ONLINE vs IN STORE is very different. Online nothing but great things, shipping is easy and fast, never damaged. In store, the one in my local shopping center, the manager was very rude when I asked about a brand. She rudely stated HER store doesn’t carry “that brand” but other ulta stores do. Then when I went to check out she didn’t even ask for my # for loyalty points! I had to ask to give it to her. Also when I opened my eyeshadow palette I realized it has been used (definitely swatched) never had this problem from online shopping.

Erika Guerra
August 8th, 2018 Cypress, TX DETAILS

Abigail at the cypress store is amazing, she cuts my hair and my daughters hair, I go to know one else. If your picky like me or have long hair that needs some TLC, the way she takes her time listening to you and getti g to know what you like and what works for your hair. I have been with her for a few years now and my hair is healthier than it's ever been. Thank you Abigail at cypress Ulta, you have the vision.

Jessica Landon
August 6th, 2018 Friendship, WI DETAILS

Very disappointed in Ulta, loved it and the idea of a store that sells high and drug store brands, but now not to impressed. I had gotten into the point system by signing up for the rewards card. Great concept and made me want to get my make up through them, so i can recieve credit towards future purchase. Seem win-win to me. Then i signed up for the credit card to get more points since i go through there a lot. I saved up points, like 2300 worth, which supposed to equal $135.00 amount. When using them it only gave me $97.00 worth towards purchase. I tried contacting customer service, they wouldnt answer any question i asked. Giving me one sentence response, i even sent them there point system calculations that are advertised on their site thats states that 2000=$125 value and my 2300 points i used toward purchase do not add up and my account even showed me that i should have $135 credit which i took a snapshot and sent them and not an answer as to why it doesnt add up. The customer service was unhelpful in solving any problem and was disapointed in not getting any answer.

Hannah Cummins
August 1st, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Ulta is always clean, has great customer service and has great products. The "Ulta" line is affordable and really high quality and always has great sales.

Breeanne Genta
August 1st, 2018 Nampa, ID

I love the selection they have at Ulta! So nice to have a lot of brand in once spot so I don't have to go from store to store.

Marilyn Greer
July 24th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Lots of great products but pretty expensive.

Anna Hu
July 23rd, 2018 Provo, UT

I like that Ulta has a wide variety of products, as most other makeup stores target either higher or lower end products. Ulta has luxury brands as well as convenience store brands and a great variety of general beauty products not related to makeup. I love Ulta simply for their great product variety-- anything beauty related I would ever need is there! I also love their rewards program, I am a frequent Ulta shopper and through rewards have saved a lot of money, which I don't often actually see through rewards programs.

Eridee Vance
July 23rd, 2018 Lehi, UT

The staff is very friendly and helpful. The store is clean and well laid out. They have a good variety of makeup and fragrances from pricey to value priced. I have really like the ULTA brand. I find it a great value and a quality product.

Cody Linden
July 19th, 2018 Lehi, UT

I've purchased gifts for my wife from ULTA and she's always loved the gifts, even if I semi-randomly selected an item. There's a great selection of items that are all high quality. However, they are a little expensive.

Sara Jane
July 18th, 2018 Crestwood, KY DETAILS

HUGE selection. Great prices. Good sales. Ulta is the ultimate place to shop for beauty products.

Teresa Underwood
July 13th, 2018 Enid, OK DETAILS

This is the WORST company to deal with! Now it is policy that if you are awarded an ulta mastercard and you make a payment....your card will be DECLINED until the payment clears, which usually takes10 days. So by being a good customer and making multiple early payments or even one monthly payment, you will be penalized with a declined card!! This is also a way for ulta to hinder us on the amount of reward points that would have been accumulated in those 10 days. They said it is to help against fraud. However, they weren't the one embarrassed in front of friends or held up in line being publicly told your card is declined. The assumption is, your credit is poor shape. But to be DECLINED because you made a payment (not late)! It also, it took me 3 months to be told why I hadn't reached diamond status after spending way over the required $1200. Come to finally find out, it's because you HAVE to spend that amount ONLY AT ULTA. The rep agreed that it should be written in their agreement and plainly in sight. It's not. So if you are awarded the ulta mastercard, know this. Please Ulta, it took 3 months, emails, surveys, multiple reps sending me to other reps, reports filed with managers who never called back, and hours on hold for This very simple answer. Two reps told me that it was because my card account and rewards program were not linked together. That I needed some one in my ulta store to do this for me. Or I would have to close my account completely and start over! No, it's that the $1200 must be spent in ulta. Educate your reps!! This company has great products but the company itself is one of the biggest con games in town! Unprofessional, unethical and down right stupid! Closing my account out and publicly calling them out!

Isabelle Potter
July 2nd, 2018 Port Saint Lucie, FL DETAILS

Tristian was great. He helped me so much, great customer service!

CAROLE SCOVILLE
June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I really like Ulta nail polish. It stays on for a long time and they always have cute colors!

Tom
June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have the Ulta Beauty card, or my wife does, but I have gone with her and she buys all of her beauty product items at a great price.

H Moore
June 12th, 2018 Lehi, UT

My daughters love the ULTA brand because they love the mascara and eye shadow. They say that the eyeliner is long-lasting and doesn't smudge.

Sadie Scoville
June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love Ulta nail polish. It stays on for a very long time and it dries quickly.

Avery Fowler
June 7th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Ulta is my favorite makeup store to go! I love going to Ulta because they let you try on any makeup to make sure you love the product. Their staff is also super happy and friendly and easy to approach.

Amelia Gibson
June 7th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

I enjoy using this store, they have many high quality beauty products.

Nana Asiata
June 7th, 2018 Herriman, UT DETAILS

Ulta is a great place to go when barley starting to wear makeup. The service there is always welcoming and helps you find what is good for you and your skin. I am so glad that they are building one close to me.

Joanna Hester
June 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

We have certain makeup items that we only buy from Ulta because the quality is second to none and the cost is less than department stores.

Ashley
June 4th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I love to shop at Ulta because I can easily find the things I need and whenever I can’t find anything, there is always a worker to help me out.

Lynette Fowler
May 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I like to visit this store because it has a lot of variety in make up and their return policy is great. If you are not satisfied with something you have purchased, just return it for a full refund.

May 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

One of my favorite stores to purchase the Clinque brand of makeup.

Bella Houtz
May 29th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Ulta is great for getting into makeup and finding what right for you. We love what Ulta has to offer.

Schon
April 30th, 2018 Smithfield, UT DETAILS

Good selection of items. I can usually find what I need but I can also find the same products for a little cheaper on amazon many times.

Erin Rhoton
April 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I really like Ulta. They have tons of great products and a helpful staff to let you know what to use.

Michelle Hawker
April 24th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

I will always choose Sephora over Ulta. I don't dislike Ulta...their products are good and competitively priced..I just have not had the best experiences. Staff has not seemed particularly helpful and/or knowledgeable. They often don't have products in stock.

Andrea S
April 18th, 2018 Idaho Falls, ID DETAILS

When I first visited Ulta, I thought they would have everything you would ever need in a makeup store, but they don't. They have a lot of accessories, but not every brand or kind of makeup. Their prices are not better than buying at a department store cosmetics counter. But if you just want to browse and have a lot of basic things to choose from, this is a good place.

Sandy
April 16th, 2018 Seaside, OR DETAILS

Prices are high for department store makeup items. They do offer a lot of deals and coupons though. That's nice. Customer service is great!

Becky Skabelund
April 12th, 2018 Sandy, UT DETAILS

From memory, I have never had a bad experience at Ulta. All employees are pleasant and helpful. It's great that you can return products that didn't work for you, and get all your money back. They also have a decent rewards program. I enjoy their mobile app, because it notifies me of deals they're having that specific day.

Anne Marie Milne
April 12th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

Love love love ULTA. They have a great staff and are always helping me find the makeup and face items I need that are specific to me. I could spend all day in there! Definitely go to ULTA and check out their Clinique counter especially. Great products.

Landon Robison
April 11th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I went in their to get a present for my wife and had no idea what to get, but the staff was very nice and helpful and helped me pick out a gift.

Brette
April 10th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

I spend me whole paycheck here! This place is amazing but dangerous! Customer service is always horrible, the girls that work here are total brats and don’t care one bit about their customer!

Courtney Nguyen
April 9th, 2018 Logan, UT DETAILS

Love the value you can find at ulta. Great sales. Love using their coupons. So many ulta exclusives too!

Deirdre
January 30th, 2018 Rockville, MD DETAILS

One stop shop for most things cosmetic. The sales staff are very friendly, knowledgeable of their products and happy to help with suggestions, makeovers, etc. Never used their salon but have seen some gorgeous folks walk out of it. My only sadness is that while they keep Chanel they don't keep Coco Noir!

Natasha
December 19th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Great customer service. The people were super helpful helping me get the make up I wanted for my wedding. The prices are a bit high though.