ULTA Logo

6.0

LAST UPDATED: August 28th, 2021

ULTA Beauty is a chain of beauty retailer located in the United States. ULTA, through its stores and website, offers a combination of over 20,000 beauty products. This includes makeup products, fragrances, haircare, skincare, bath & body products, and styling tools. ULTA also offers a full-service salon and makeup artist in each store location.

Founded in 1990, ULTA Beauty currently employs more than 19,000 associates at over 125 locations across the United States. Its headquarters is located in Bolingbrook, Illinois.

Sephora Logo
#2 Sephora chevron_right
Target Logo
#3 Target chevron_right
e.l.f. Logo
#4 e.l.f. chevron_right

The Good

• Ulta Beauty Makeup Brands
  • Rewards Program
  • Tips and Video Tutorials
  • Customer Service

Ulta Beauty Makeup Brands

ULTA customers can choose from hundreds of brands, including the ULTA Collection. Their featured brands include bareMinerals, Urban Decay, It Cosmetics, Thrive, O.P.I., Dose of Colors, Meaningful Beauty, Skyn, NYX Professional Makeup, and Benefit Cosmetics - though they sell many more brands in addition to these.

This beauty hub supplies almost everything you could possibly need to perfect your routine from basic skincare products to amazonian clay. Obviously, the essential products you can find are:

• face primer
  • makeup remover
  • makeup bag
  • brow kit
  • waterproof concealer
  • blush palette
  • makeup brushes

Rewards Program

The ULTAmate Rewards Program is free to all customers. Members earn one point for every dollar they spend and can redeem earned points on skincare, mascara, fragrances, cosmetics, and other ULTA products. By signing up for ULTA emails, customers will be notified of any Ulta Beauty sale as well as receive a free gift from ULTA during the month of their birthday plus earn double points during that month.

ULTA also has a Platinum rewards program, which members have access to once they have spent at least $400.00 in a calendar year. When members are upgraded to Platinum status, they earn points 25% faster and receive an additional birthday gift - plus, their points never expire. Plus, all ULTA customers get free shipping on orders of $50.00 or more.

Tips and Video Tutorials

Online users have access to ULTA's tips, video tutorials, Beauty Buzz, photo galleries, and new product arrivals through the Get Inspired, Beauty Consultation, and Share & Play sections of the site. Mobile users can access all these features and their account information through ULTA's mobile app. These videos allow everyone the chance to learn from professional makeup artists and reinvent their makeup routine. Whether it's perfecting your eye shadow skills or learning how to use a highlighter palette these professionals can do it all.

ULTA also has a Guest Services Center, which features links to information about your online purchase, gift cards, the rewards program, the return policy, and other frequently asked questions. There is also an online form and an 866-number for contacting customer service. ULTA's customer service department is available 6am-12am CST, seven days a week.

The Bad

• No Free Samples
  • No Wish List Feature

No Free Samples

While ULTA members can take advantage of online coupons and mailers, there is no mention on the website of free samples. Companies like Sephora offer customers the option to try out different beauty brands before purchasing them, so the lack of samples is a disadvantage of shopping with ULTA.

No Wish List Feature

ULTA also doesn't offer an online wishlist feature for customers to save future purchases. Customers who want to remember items to buy later will need to create a separate list on their own and then search for each of them when ready to make a purchase.

The Bottom Line

ULTA carries over 20,000 beauty products and offers customers the added convenience of being able to shop, return items, and the use of salon services at its many store locations. Customers who are on the go can also use the mobile app. Overall, ULTA provides an extensive selection of makeup brands to fit your beauty needs conveniently placed in one location.

Also, take a look at the other makeup stores listed on our website to see how ULTA makeup compares.

Madisen Cluff Los Angeles, CA

I love Ulta. They have a very wide variety of products to choose from and are usually pretty good at keeping them in stock. The store always smells fresh and the workers are usually pretty nice. The way the store itself is set up is very aesthetically appealing and it is always fun to browse around if you don't know exactly what you want yet. That is usually what I end up doing :)

D.D Methuen, MA

If you order online you run the risk of your package being left anywhere the delivery company deems ok, even if it is a n apartment complex, wheee it can be taken by anybody. I live in apt complex that has a delivery hub to prevent this, however it was dropped in the foyer where there is no security.. And because of this the package is gone, however not their problem, can you imagine if the post office did the same with your mail.. Ulta doesn’t deem it suffient, so not only do I need to pay for what I didn’t get, if I want it, I need to buy it again.. Never order from them, they contracted the cheapest delivery company and we pay the price

Megan Roper South Jordan, UT

I went into ULTA the other day to find a perfume that I liked. I was having a hard time deciding which one I wanted to go with, so the store manager gave me lots of small samples to take home. I am so excited to go back into the store to actually buy the one I am most happy with now!

Brenda Nakhon Sawan, 60

ULTA employees are consistently very kind across ever ULTA store I have been to. Their stores are organized and always smell great. Even if I don’t intend on buying anything. I love browsing to store to find something I didn’t know I needed.

Christina Lockett Frederick, MD

ULTA was a very lit up makeup store showcasing each and every makeup product on its own case. They had every shades of lip stick that fits different people. They also have different bronzers and contours that fits people skin tones. The only reason that they don't get a full five stars from me is because of how long their lines are. They should have multiple workers there helping check out people and not just one women checking people out as fast as she could.

Makayla Holland Gaithersburg, MD

I love ulta they having many different thing from hair product to facial products, and I really like them because there product are very good and they are still cheap, there are current thing that are expensive but some acne things that would be 10 to 20 dollars you could get for 5. The shipping and also very good as well

Jessica Chen Rockville, MD

I bought a serum for skincare called The Ordinary recommended by many famous Youtubers, a tarte shape tape concealer, and an eyelash serum. The concealer does help conceal any blemishes, and the eyelash serum did help grow my eyelashes. The serum helped my skin at first, but they started to irritate. ULTA did have a good shipping and products came in good condition.

Lauren Goodwin Dallas, TX

I have not been in an Ulta store in over a year and was pleasantly surprised by the super clean appearance especially in the Allen, TX store. I booked an appointment with the Benefit Brow Bar and had the best customer service given by Keturah G. She was extremely friendly and really made an effort to get to know me. Excellent job and I am a customer for life!!

Lynn Michel Trenton, NJ

I had a performance issue with a product I purchased at Ulta. After reading many unfavorable reviews from dissatisfied customers, I had some concerns about how I would be treated. The person that helped me in the Hamilton NJ store could not be any nicer or mote helpful if she tried. She took care of my problem by replacing the defective item with a new one . I am completely satisfied with my experience.

Jennifer Jones Modesto, CA

Overall my experience with Ulta has been positive every time I visited the store. I am a platinum member so I have been there many times . They always ask me if I need any help,. I rather shop at Ulta then Sephora because Sephora workers are rude (to my daughters) when they go there; Following them like they’re going to steal, when they have plenty of money because they work very hard . And my daughters are grown and are very classy and educated . So Ulta is awesome! Friendly staff, if they don’t have an item in stock, they give you free shipping coupon if you need to order it online.

Erika Guerra Cypress, TX

Abigail at the cypress store is amazing, she cuts my hair and my daughters hair, I go to know one else. If your picky like me or have long hair that needs some TLC, the way she takes her time listening to you and getti g to know what you like and what works for your hair. I have been with her for a few years now and my hair is healthier than it's ever been. Thank you Abigail at cypress Ulta, you have the vision.

Whitney Wilkins West Valley City, UT

I love going to Ulta stores. I have always been able to find most my makeup and brushes there. They have such a range of prices and brands and is very organized. Their workers are always so helpful with finding specific items or giving their opinions. They constantly have different deals going on and ads in the mail. This is definitely one of my go to makeup stores.

Crystal's Love of Beauty Elk River, MN

I am very unhappy right now. I have spent so much money at ulta and I recently moved. I made an order online but forgot to change my address. After realizing this 10 minutes after I made the order I called ulta. They told me they could cancel the order since it hadn't shipped yet. The next day I got 2 emails 1 for telling me they couldn't cancel the order and the 2nd email saying they shipped the order to the old address. After a few days of not recieving the order. I called ulta again. They said they didn't receive the package back so there was nothing they could do to help me. They told me if I still wanted the items to buy them again. I will think twice before buying from them again. I used to buy a lot not anymore. If I could give 0 stars I would.

Rachael Berhan Salt Lake City, UT

They have a great selection of products and really good customer service! I wish they had more makeup products that are "clean" and good for your skin. Their version of "clean beauty" (good for your skin) is vegan beauty or hypoallergenic.

Anne Sainsbury Orem, UT

I love ULTA products! I don't buy them often but going to the ULTA store is one of my favorite places to look for products. Their stores are super clean and well organized so finding what I need has never been difficult.

Beth Knight Nakhon Sawan, 60

ULTA is a great option when shopping for beauty products. I love that they have a wide variety of options in different price points as well. Always gotten lots of great help and advice from the staff too

Cassidy Lucas Olney, MD

One thing I like about this company is how nicely packaged all of their items are. One thing I don’t like is that there are not many locations near me. But overall a great store.

Megan Milke Laurel, MD

Ulta sells great products that are always very reliable. The employees are always very willing to help me locate any product I need in the store. Ulta is the only place I will buy my hairdryers!

Matt Pioli Rochester, NY

With having 2 teenage daughters in the family, quality makeup and cosmetics are an essential for them. ULTA makes that easy for us. In addition to makeup, they have flat irons, blowdryers, curling irons, and other cosmetic tools in stock at unbelievable prices!

Andrea Diaz-Cepeda Tallahassee, FL

Shopping at Ulta never disappoints. Employees always ensure that any questions or concerns I may have are always answered. I truly appreciate that they offer to color-match me without me even having to ask. I also recently just used their salon and it was excellent. Excellent customer-service overall.

Emily Crawfordville, FL

Every time I go to Ulta I always end up leaving with something new and that's part of the reason I go. I love to peruse the new makeup they have in stock and I love that they have a balance of affordable and high-end makeup products. Their employees are always willing to help out and answer all of my questions.

Ashli Delph Cincinnati, OH

I went to the Ulta in Newport, KY and Cheyenne (i hope i spelled her name correctly). She was extremely friendly and assisted me with purchasing the correct shade of make up and also helped me find an amazing setting spray. Your company is very lucky to have such a wonderful employee. Thanks again for all of your help Cheyenne.

A’lea Richardson Lakeland, FL

Very affordable and diverse makeup stores. They carry some of the best brands. I love their point system, it helps a lot when I’m not paying attention and buying a lot of products. Great employers that are always willing to help

roxanne Millville, UT

I was looking for a specific Mac foundation and they were out of stock . They were so kind and went above and beyound and found me it online and offered a free shipping code to get it here for me. I appreciated their willingness to help me

Nicole LeBaron Provo, UT

I love Ulta! They always have the makeup I need and great sales. When I went there to get ideas for my Homecoming makeup, one of the consultants helped me by testing different brands of makeup and colors in me. I have always had good luck with them!

Kimberly LeBaron Delta, UT

I’m by no means a makeup guru, but Ulta suits all my needs. I have been there to grab random things and they are well stocked with many good makeup brands. I also took my sister their to get her tones matched, and we were very happy with the recommend color and product. I will say though that the store can be hard to navigate, and one time the staff were been impatient and unhelpful. But this has only been my experience once.

Jackey Dant Council Bluffs, IA

I am a frequent customer at the ulta brow bar at the council bluffs iowa location. I absolutely love the brow expert Tammy! Her upbeat and positive attitude is such a delight! She always does a fabulous job and goes above and beyond. She is super knowledgeable of all the products and does a great job of helping me find what looks good on me!

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

Great products. Highly recommend ULTA for your makeup store. The mascara wand is fantastic. Love the feature where you can twist the tube to change the shape of the wand from straight to coiled. So cool! I only use a couple other products such as their lipstick & their blush... So I you're looking for those 2 products, I can guarantee you will be happy with them!

Cristella La Habra, CA

My experience with ulta ONLINE vs IN STORE is very different. Online nothing but great things, shipping is easy and fast, never damaged. In store, the one in my local shopping center, the manager was very rude when I asked about a brand. She rudely stated HER store doesn’t carry “that brand” but other ulta stores do. Then when I went to check out she didn’t even ask for my # for loyalty points! I had to ask to give it to her. Also when I opened my eyeshadow palette I realized it has been used (definitely swatched) never had this problem from online shopping.

Kelsey Provo, UT

ULTA is a great place to go for makeup. Their sales associates are always very helpful and are able to guide you in what finding what kind of makeup you need. Their prices are on the higher end because their makeup is such good quality, but they often have sales going on that make purchases worthwhile.

Carlee Toone Provo, UT

I love Ulta. I always find what I need and the prices are reasonable. I like that they offer high end products as well as drug store items. I also like their initiatives toward breast cancer research during the month of October.

Emerald Scott West Jordan, UT

I don't wear a lot of makeup so ULTA is a great store for me. I can find good makeup for a cheap price. And, if I'm feeling extra fancy I can get the more expensive name brand products for a good deal. I trust the salespeople to help me find good gifts for my sisters around the holidays as well.

Pete Centerville, UT

I usually buy all of my hair/ skin products here. I love the wide variety of products they have. There are so many to choose from and the workers are also very helpful in helping you find what you need. As a guy it's nice having help when buying skin products because i know nothing about what I need.

Amy Gardiner Clarksburg, MD

Had great service in Germantown, MD. The staff was very helpful explaining the different mascaras to me. Even though I purchased just a little, they treated me like I was important. The selection of cosmetics is great and I really love the Benefit line

Stephanie Byrd Miami, FL

ULTA beauty is the best skin and beauty care spot for beauty gurus and even those who just want to get started. ULTA offers a wide range of beauty products with over hundreds of trusted brands. You will find exactly what you're looking for in there and if you are struggling to do so, there is excellent customer service in place to assist.

Marcie M Idaho Falls, ID

Ulta is such a great store to shop at for all your makeup and beauty needs. Prices are reasonable and the staff is very helpful. The last time I went I was looking for a bottle of face mask cream. I asked one of the staff for help and she was able to explain the differences between a couple different bottles, and she even helped me find one on sale. The selection and variety in this store is amazing. I love to stock up on the big bottles of shampoo and conditioner when they go on sale. Ulta is the best!!

Katie Kertzman Rogers, AR

I have bought multiple products from ULTA in the last couple of years. The store has a great range of products from more high-end to those that are less expensive but still great quality. The employees have always been willing to help me find exactly what I am looking for and the products have met and exceeded my expectations. Overall, great variety of options to choose from and extremely reliable company.

Stephanie Byrd Tallahassee, FL

Wow! Ulta is my absolute favorite beauty store. I would like to put emphasis on beauty because not only can you find makeup products you can also find products for hair and skin care. I love that this store offers a wide range of product options online and in store. I am never disappointed with a purchase made here. If you’re a beauty guru I suggest you give Ulta a visit ASAP!

Tyler Strieby Lehi, UT

I love love love their eyeshadow! I am not a person who wears a lot of make-up, just wear the basics. I also do not like to spend a lot of money on make-up. But I do use it everyday...so I like to get a lot of bang for my buck when I do need to purchase make-up. Ulta's eyeshadow palates have an amazing range of colors! And, they seem to never run out! I decided to purchase one and I have been using it for a long time...Will be going back to them for eyeshadow. Even though it was a little more expensive than I usually spend, it lasted so long that the paying more was definitely worth it.

Abby Wallin Denver, CO

Ulta offers such a great variety of products- from high end to more affordable options. This is important to me because I like to mix up my makeup and skincare products! Their rewards program is also such an incentive to continue shopping there. The employees are very knowledgeable and can answer any questions I have. Bonus points for carrying The Ordinary in store!

Anna Hu Provo, UT

I like that Ulta has a wide variety of products, as most other makeup stores target either higher or lower end products. Ulta has luxury brands as well as convenience store brands and a great variety of general beauty products not related to makeup. I love Ulta simply for their great product variety-- anything beauty related I would ever need is there! I also love their rewards program, I am a frequent Ulta shopper and through rewards have saved a lot of money, which I don't often actually see through rewards programs.

Ajanaee x San Antonio, TX

Ulta has a great selection of products but they should carry more ethnic products and products that cater to deeper toned women.

Robecca North Smithfield, RI

Just checked the status of my order. A delivery was not even attempted and never received any communication from Ulta...just says returned to sender. My address is correct and I have received package no problem from Ulta in the past. My last three online orders have have the same return to sender without any communication. This is not the kind of service I expect for a Diamond status client. I don’t want my goods returned and I don’t want a refund to pacify my aggregation. Why can’t my goods, that I have paid for, be sent to my local store for my pickup if Ulta can’t follow through on their end of the deal? Shame on you Ulta for such poor service. Sephora is calling my name.

Phebe Rowland Fayetteville, AR

My experience with ULTA has been wonderful. Upon entering the store, I am always greeted with a smile by the workers. They ask me how I am doing and if I need help with anything. ULTA also has a wide variety of beauty supplies, and the store is extremely organized.

Pekeiydra Williams Tallahassee, FL

The customer service at ULTA is very pleasing, the staff are friendly, super attentive and helpful. Definitely love shopping here and the ordinary products work so well on my skin!

Katlyn Hockman Houston, TX

Ulta's customer service is incredible and they always help me find everything I need. They also have everything that I'm looking for. I have never had one bad experience at Ulta.

cb Irving, TX

the facemasks and makeup here is top notch! i bought so many products and didn’t spend more than $100! the workers helped me find the perfect tones for me and made my experience 10x better!

OwenE. Hattiesburg, MS

I LOVE SHOPPING AT ULTA! I greatly appreciate their wide range of products, and their rewards program is simply amazing! Their employees are so helpful and kind, and I love shopping there!

Cade Boudreaux , FL

I love Ulta. I bought a couple of face masks for myself here and was very pleased with the results. The rewards program they have is great for if you shop there a ton and i would recommend getting my cosmetics from here.

Lily Grant Lehi, UT

I love Ulta Beauty! They have top brand items and there customer service is on point there employes are so amazing and they will greet you at the door and ask if you need any help and i just love that aspect about them.