ULTA

verified
You can shop, return online purchases or schedule salon services at ULTA's store locations.

ULTA is a chain of beauty superstores located in the United States. ULTA, through its stores and website, offers a combination of over 20,000 beauty products. This includes makeup, fragrances, hair, skincare, bath & body products and styling tools. ULTA also offers a full-service salon in each store location.

Founded in 1990, ULTA currently employs more than 19,000 associates at over 125 locations across the United States. They are headquartered in Bolingbrook, Illinois.

The Good

• Many Featured Brands
  • Rewards Program
  • Tips and Video Tutorials

ULTA customers can choose from hundreds of brands, including the ULTA Collection. Their featured brands include bareMinerals, Urban Decay, It Cosmetics, Living Proof, O.P.I., Mally, Meaningful Beauty, Skyn, Benefit and Tarte - though they sell many more brands in addition to these.

The ULTAmate Rewards Program is free to all users. Members earn one point for every dollar they spend, and can redeem earned points on skincare, mascara, fragrances, lip colors and other ULTA products. By signing up for ULTA emails, customers also get a gift from ULTA during their birthday month and earn double points during that month. ULTA also has a Platinum rewards program, which members can have access to after spending at least $400.00 in a calendar year. Once members are upgraded to Platinum status, they earn points 25% faster and receive an additional birthday gift - plus, their points never expire.

Online users have access to ULTA's tips, video tutorials, Beauty Buzz, photo galleries, and new product arrivals through the Get Inspired, Beauty Consultation, and Share & Play sections of the site. Mobile users can access all these features and their account information through ULTA's mobile app.

ULTA has a Guest Services Center, which features links to information about order statuses, gift cards, the rewards program, the return policy and other frequently-asked questions. There is also an online form and an 866-number for contacting customer service. ULTA's customer service department is available 6am-12am CST, seven days a week.

All ULTA customers get free shipping on orders of $50.00 or more.

The Bad

• No Mentions of Free Samples
  • No Wish List Feature

While ULTA members can take advantage of coupons, there is no mention on the website of whether they will be given free samples. Companies like Sephora offer customers the option to try out free samples, so the lack of samples is a disadvantage of shopping with ULTA.

ULTA also doesn't offer a wish list feature so customers can save future purchases. Customers who want to remember items to buy later will need to make a separate list and then enter them when ready to make a purchase through the ULTA website.

The Bottom Line

ULTA carries over 20,000 beauty products and offers customers the added convenience of being able to shop, return items or use salon services at their store locations. Customers who are on the go can also use the mobile app.

Shannon
February 11th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

LOVE Ulta! The best selection of make up and love the service you get when you go in a store. Always helpful with recommendations and letting you try samples of products.

drdre
February 12th, 2019 Baltimore, MD DETAILS

I recently made a purchase on 1/21/19 at 728pm. However, the shipping address was wrong. So I called within 15 minutes of the purchase to change the address. However, I was told that you guys are unable to change the address or cancel the order. I called again and they advised me to either call the postal service or my bank to cancel the order. When I called the post service, they said they can't change the address and I would have to call ULTA for any changes. The package has been delivered to the wrong address and it was taken by someone other than myself. I have contacted customer service again and they told me that they can't refund me the money for human error of putting in the wrong address even though I told them that i have called multiple times to guest service but they keep saying they can't do anything. I have been ordering from you guys via in-store or online for a few years now. I have never run into a problem like this before. I didn’t think you would treat your customers this way. You are stealing money from people who have made a human error on the internet. I can’t believe this is what your company stand for. I have never experienced an online order where I can’t edit within 15 mins. Instead of helping me, you want to steal my money.

sherri z lund
February 6th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Terrible customer service, they do not ask what your reason is for returning something or ask if they can help you find something else. Also when buying something they do not know their products well. This is at the Valley Fair Mall, go figure such a lowlife mall anyway. It's West Valley, will never shop there again!!

Shell
January 14th, 2019 Burleson, TX DETAILS

Burlison store are returned a product that was defective I had the original receipt it was within 30 days of the original purchase they would not credit my debit card back and instead gave me An in-store credit. I went back in and show them my receipt again showing I paid with my debit card and they said there was nothing they could do I reported this to Customer Service last week and was told that within 72 hours I would get a call from the store I have heard nothing from anyone since. Today my good friend went in to get a facial for her baby shower she had an appointment and was never saying and was also to Told that the store manager would call her and she had heard nothing either anyway your Burleson store has a problem and there’s many complaints on Facebook about the store and I love auto and have been with y’all many years and I’m only a platinum member and that’s not much but I’m going to be no member at all if this is not straightened out and I don’t believe I’m the only one

VICKY KEY
January 14th, 2019 Midland, VA DETAILS

I WENT TO THE MANASSAS STORE WITH A LARGE GIFT CARD THIS MORNING WHEN THEY OPENED AND WENT DIRECTLY TO THE CLINIQUE SECTION AND ASKED SOMEONE FOR SOME HELP WITH A PRODUCTS SHE HAD TO GO CHECK WITH A MANAGER AND NEVER RETURN SO I TRIED AGAIN AND THE CLERK TOLD ME THERE WERE no CLINIQUE SPECIALS., AND ACTED AS IF i HAD A DISEASE AND LEFT, I WENT TO THE CHECK OUT AND LEARNED THE CLINIQUE GIFT SET I WAS PURCHASING WAS 1/2 PRICE. iF I HAD KNOWN THAT I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT MORE.....I WILL GIVE THE MONEY LEFT ON MY GIFT CARD TO SOMEONE WHO WANTS NO SERVICES AT THE STORE.

Elena
January 4th, 2019 Renton, WA DETAILS

I frequent the Ulta at Renton landing and Factoria and always receive exceptional customer service. I was in Factoria location on 1/2 and was looking for the revlon 3 in 1 styler. They did not have it and took the time to call around. It showed the Ulta at crossroads in Bellevue had 3 in stock. The manager at Factoria called to have the item placed on hold. She had to coach the associate on the phone b/c she claimed they had it without looking first and was argumentative with the manager from Factoria. After about 10 min the associate went to the sales floor and said she got one and placed it on hold for me. On 1/3 I went to the Ulta at crossroads to pick up my item. I was greeted, I told the gentleman what I was here for he said he had to get a manager. She said well it’s not on the counter so I don’t know but I have one in the back and left. 20 minutes later I was approached by the cashier asking what I was looking for or if I had been helped. I told her someone went to go get my hold for me. She walkied her team and she said I don’t know what your looking for did you check the sales floor for one. I had. She then made me go take a picture of the item, she went to the back and told me she didn’t know what happened yesterday because she didn’t work and she assumed they must have been busy and sold them all... I was then sent on my way with no apology, no customer service, and no effort on there part to resolve the problem, or attempt to order me the item! The manager never came back! I have never experienced that horrible of customer service in my life! I have been a manager in retail for 9 years and was truly appalled at how poorly I was treated and how poorly other guests were treated in my observations while I was waiting 20 minutes. Some of the encounters that I witnessed as a manager is customer service were honestly cringe worthy. Like I said this was the Ulta at crossroads in Bellevue on 1/3 at approximately 1:15 pm.

Erin Field
December 31st, 2018 Springfield, MA DETAILS

Meriden, CT Ulta - woman who works there named Chelsea found me the most perfect concealer. Thank you, Chelsea

Jorden Laird
December 14th, 2018 Front Royal, VA DETAILS

huge selection for all things make up, beauty and spa essentials. has everything from basic brands, to the higher end and much more expensive makeup.

Tiffany
December 14th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! Everything from their make up and hair lines to their salon great prices all around.

Matthew Carbaugh
December 10th, 2018 Herndon, VA DETAILS

Visted Ulta in the shopping mall to purchase a birthday gift for Mom. The employees were very approachable and decide on a purple nail polish which she likes!

Mia Hernandez
December 10th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS

great make up place soo many options to choose from its kinda nice that they have your inexpensive higher quality drug store make ups to they usually always have good deals would recommend highly

Janice Pujol
December 6th, 2018 Chandler, AZ DETAILS

I have been a client for more than 8 years, I have been loyal to Ulta because they offer all of the brands I love. Their offers are always really good and offer fast shipping.

Dee Farquharson
December 6th, 2018 Washington, DC DETAILS

I like picking up small accessories (nail clipper, etc) but not much else. I can never find the right shade and the hair products are of no assistance (not for my texture). I feel more assisted at Sephora, which is saying something. The perfume sets are nice, but you can most likely find them elsewhere for a better price.

Fernando Delgado
December 6th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS

My wife loves this place she can spend hours going thru Ulta she can find pretty much anything she need when it comes to make up and really good quality. Their customer service is excellent always ready to help.

Amber
December 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I love Ulta. I'm always finding deals on the products I always need. They send many free gifts with orders that I actually enjoy.

Jami Schmieding
December 5th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

Ulta is where I shop for all my hair and make up needs. The staff is always super cool and welcoming. they educate you when you have questions. highly recommend

Sierra Dixon
December 10th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I love Ulta. I get all of my makeup there. They have a great variety of brands and colors. Great quality makeup that lasts a long time. All of the employees are super helpful. Only thing is it’s a bit expensive for a high schooler like me, but it’s high quality makeup so it should be that way.

Katie Kearney
November 29th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS

I have an Ulta right by my house and absolutely love it. They have everything you could need and they have great products that are reasonably priced. Their rewards program is great too, always get lots of goodies!

Kathie Bowman
November 16th, 2018 Lakeside, CA DETAILS

I have used ulta for makeup and spray. they have so many different scents and shades of makeup. with being fair skinned they make it easy to find something that matches. Some stores that I go to even have a brow bar in them which makes it easy to get everything I need plus a wax

Lindsay Fritts
November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS

I had to make a gift exchange at Ulta beauty a few months ago and had no idea how awesome Ulta was! It is like a sephora but they have more deals and are much closer to where I live, will definitely be coming here for make up and hair supplies!

Mackenzie
November 14th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

They sell good and bad products, but some of the products I can find at the drug store cheaper. It always smells heavily of chemicals when you walk in the door and it sets off my asthma.

Rian Crawford
October 9th, 2018 Livingston, AL DETAILS

The worst customer service you can experience they don’t solve any problems or give solutions when doing wrong. I received a gift card used it online and had a 38 cents remaining balance instead of using the gift card they used my debit card for the whole purchase and refused to refund me the money and didn’t even care to offer a solution.

Amber
September 20th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

resGreat Makeup store that has high end and low end makeup. the Ulta brand is right in the middle and usually what i prefer to buy. I have been happy with their makeup and feel like its compares with the high end stuff.

L Fowler
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I like to shop here for my make up needs because I can try out products before I even buy them. I also like their customer service. I am greeted almost every time I come in and they are helpful in finding what I need. They have a great return policy if you are not fully satisfied.

Dylan Findlay
August 28th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I can always find the cosmetic products I need. Great prices and friendly staff.

Thomas Hullinger
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Ulta has a great selection of everything one needs to make them beautiful. I have the Ulta credit card and use it to shop there and it makes it easy to get what I need.

Lesa Burgess
August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Great products. Highly recommend ULTA for your makeup store. The mascara wand is fantastic. Love the feature where you can twist the tube to change the shape of the wand from straight to coiled. So cool! I only use a couple other products such as their lipstick & their blush... So I you're looking for those 2 products, I can guarantee you will be happy with them!

Allison Beach
August 21st, 2018 East Stroudsburg, PA DETAILS

Ulta is priced well has good sales and their rewards system is great

Bella Houtz
August 17th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I really like a lot of things at Ulta. It has a huge inventory but some things are overpriced.

Jennifer Jones
August 16th, 2018 Modesto, CA DETAILS

Overall my experience with Ulta has been positive every time I visited the store. I am a platinum member so I have been there many times . They always ask me if I need any help,. I rather shop at Ulta then Sephora because Sephora workers are rude (to my daughters) when they go there; Following them like they’re going to steal, when they have plenty of money because they work very hard . And my daughters are grown and are very classy and educated . So Ulta is awesome! Friendly staff, if they don’t have an item in stock, they give you free shipping coupon if you need to order it online.

Cristella
August 16th, 2018 La Habra, CA DETAILS

My experience with ulta ONLINE vs IN STORE is very different. Online nothing but great things, shipping is easy and fast, never damaged. In store, the one in my local shopping center, the manager was very rude when I asked about a brand. She rudely stated HER store doesn’t carry “that brand” but other ulta stores do. Then when I went to check out she didn’t even ask for my # for loyalty points! I had to ask to give it to her. Also when I opened my eyeshadow palette I realized it has been used (definitely swatched) never had this problem from online shopping.

Erika Guerra
August 8th, 2018 Cypress, TX DETAILS

Abigail at the cypress store is amazing, she cuts my hair and my daughters hair, I go to know one else. If your picky like me or have long hair that needs some TLC, the way she takes her time listening to you and getti g to know what you like and what works for your hair. I have been with her for a few years now and my hair is healthier than it's ever been. Thank you Abigail at cypress Ulta, you have the vision.

Jessica Landon
August 6th, 2018 Friendship, WI DETAILS

Very disappointed in Ulta, loved it and the idea of a store that sells high and drug store brands, but now not to impressed. I had gotten into the point system by signing up for the rewards card. Great concept and made me want to get my make up through them, so i can recieve credit towards future purchase. Seem win-win to me. Then i signed up for the credit card to get more points since i go through there a lot. I saved up points, like 2300 worth, which supposed to equal $135.00 amount. When using them it only gave me $97.00 worth towards purchase. I tried contacting customer service, they wouldnt answer any question i asked. Giving me one sentence response, i even sent them there point system calculations that are advertised on their site thats states that 2000=$125 value and my 2300 points i used toward purchase do not add up and my account even showed me that i should have $135 credit which i took a snapshot and sent them and not an answer as to why it doesnt add up. The customer service was unhelpful in solving any problem and was disapointed in not getting any answer.

Hannah Cummins
August 1st, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Ulta is always clean, has great customer service and has great products. The "Ulta" line is affordable and really high quality and always has great sales.

Breeanne Genta
August 1st, 2018 Nampa, ID

I love the selection they have at Ulta! So nice to have a lot of brand in once spot so I don't have to go from store to store.

Marilyn Greer
July 24th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Lots of great products but pretty expensive.

Anna Hu
July 23rd, 2018 Provo, UT

I like that Ulta has a wide variety of products, as most other makeup stores target either higher or lower end products. Ulta has luxury brands as well as convenience store brands and a great variety of general beauty products not related to makeup. I love Ulta simply for their great product variety-- anything beauty related I would ever need is there! I also love their rewards program, I am a frequent Ulta shopper and through rewards have saved a lot of money, which I don't often actually see through rewards programs.

Eridee Vance
July 23rd, 2018 Lehi, UT

The staff is very friendly and helpful. The store is clean and well laid out. They have a good variety of makeup and fragrances from pricey to value priced. I have really like the ULTA brand. I find it a great value and a quality product.

Cody Linden
July 19th, 2018 Lehi, UT

I've purchased gifts for my wife from ULTA and she's always loved the gifts, even if I semi-randomly selected an item. There's a great selection of items that are all high quality. However, they are a little expensive.

Sara Jane
July 18th, 2018 Crestwood, KY DETAILS

HUGE selection. Great prices. Good sales. Ulta is the ultimate place to shop for beauty products.

Teresa Underwood
July 13th, 2018 Enid, OK DETAILS

This is the WORST company to deal with! Now it is policy that if you are awarded an ulta mastercard and you make a payment....your card will be DECLINED until the payment clears, which usually takes10 days. So by being a good customer and making multiple early payments or even one monthly payment, you will be penalized with a declined card!! This is also a way for ulta to hinder us on the amount of reward points that would have been accumulated in those 10 days. They said it is to help against fraud. However, they weren't the one embarrassed in front of friends or held up in line being publicly told your card is declined. The assumption is, your credit is poor shape. But to be DECLINED because you made a payment (not late)! It also, it took me 3 months to be told why I hadn't reached diamond status after spending way over the required $1200. Come to finally find out, it's because you HAVE to spend that amount ONLY AT ULTA. The rep agreed that it should be written in their agreement and plainly in sight. It's not. So if you are awarded the ulta mastercard, know this. Please Ulta, it took 3 months, emails, surveys, multiple reps sending me to other reps, reports filed with managers who never called back, and hours on hold for This very simple answer. Two reps told me that it was because my card account and rewards program were not linked together. That I needed some one in my ulta store to do this for me. Or I would have to close my account completely and start over! No, it's that the $1200 must be spent in ulta. Educate your reps!! This company has great products but the company itself is one of the biggest con games in town! Unprofessional, unethical and down right stupid! Closing my account out and publicly calling them out!

Isabelle Potter
July 2nd, 2018 Port Saint Lucie, FL DETAILS

Tristian was great. He helped me so much, great customer service!

CAROLE SCOVILLE
June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I really like Ulta nail polish. It stays on for a long time and they always have cute colors!

Tom
June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have the Ulta Beauty card, or my wife does, but I have gone with her and she buys all of her beauty product items at a great price.

H Moore
June 12th, 2018 Lehi, UT

My daughters love the ULTA brand because they love the mascara and eye shadow. They say that the eyeliner is long-lasting and doesn't smudge.

Sadie Scoville
June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love Ulta nail polish. It stays on for a very long time and it dries quickly.

Avery Fowler
June 7th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Ulta is my favorite makeup store to go! I love going to Ulta because they let you try on any makeup to make sure you love the product. Their staff is also super happy and friendly and easy to approach.

Amelia Gibson
June 7th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

I enjoy using this store, they have many high quality beauty products.

Nana Asiata
June 7th, 2018 Herriman, UT DETAILS

Ulta is a great place to go when barley starting to wear makeup. The service there is always welcoming and helps you find what is good for you and your skin. I am so glad that they are building one close to me.

Joanna Hester
June 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

We have certain makeup items that we only buy from Ulta because the quality is second to none and the cost is less than department stores.