ULTA Beauty is a chain of beauty retailer located in the United States. ULTA, through its stores and website, offers a combination of over 20,000 beauty products. This includes makeup products, fragrances, haircare, skincare, bath & body products, and styling tools. ULTA also offers a full-service salon and makeup artist in each store location.

Founded in 1990, ULTA Beauty currently employs more than 19,000 associates at over 125 locations across the United States. Its headquarters is located in Bolingbrook, Illinois.

#2 Thrive Causemetics chevron_right
2.7
#3 Sephora chevron_right

The Good

• Ulta Beauty Makeup Brands
  • Rewards Program
  • Tips and Video Tutorials
  • Customer Service

Ulta Beauty Makeup Brands

ULTA customers can choose from hundreds of brands, including the ULTA Collection. Their featured brands include bareMinerals, Urban Decay, It Cosmetics, Thrive, O.P.I., Dose of Colors, Meaningful Beauty, Skyn, NYX Professional Makeup, and Benefit Cosmetics - though they sell many more brands in addition to these.

This beauty hub supplies almost everything you could possibly need to perfect your routine from basic skincare products to amazonian clay. Obviously, the essential products you can find are:

• face primer
  • makeup remover
  • makeup bag
  • brow kit
  • waterproof concealer
  • blush palette
  • makeup brushes

Rewards Program

The ULTAmate Rewards Program is free to all customers. Members earn one point for every dollar they spend and can redeem earned points on skincare, mascara, fragrances, cosmetics, and other ULTA products. By signing up for ULTA emails, customers will be notified of any Ulta Beauty sale as well as receive a free gift from ULTA during the month of their birthday plus earn double points during that month.

ULTA also has a Platinum rewards program, which members have access to once they have spent at least $400.00 in a calendar year. When members are upgraded to Platinum status, they earn points 25% faster and receive an additional birthday gift - plus, their points never expire. Plus, all ULTA customers get free shipping on orders of $50.00 or more.

Tips and Video Tutorials

Online users have access to ULTA's tips, video tutorials, Beauty Buzz, photo galleries, and new product arrivals through the Get Inspired, Beauty Consultation, and Share & Play sections of the site. Mobile users can access all these features and their account information through ULTA's mobile app. These videos allow everyone the chance to learn from professional makeup artists and reinvent their makeup routine. Whether it's perfecting your eye shadow skills or learning how to use a highlighter palette these professionals can do it all.

ULTA also has a Guest Services Center, which features links to information about your online purchase, gift cards, the rewards program, the return policy, and other frequently asked questions. There is also an online form and an 866-number for contacting customer service. ULTA's customer service department is available 6am-12am CST, seven days a week.

The Bad

• No Free Samples
  • No Wish List Feature

No Free Samples

While ULTA members can take advantage of online coupons and mailers, there is no mention on the website of free samples. Companies like Sephora offer customers the option to try out different beauty brands before purchasing them, so the lack of samples is a disadvantage of shopping with ULTA.

No Wish List Feature

ULTA also doesn't offer an online wishlist feature for customers to save future purchases. Customers who want to remember items to buy later will need to create a separate list on their own and then search for each of them when ready to make a purchase.

The Bottom Line

ULTA carries over 20,000 beauty products and offers customers the added convenience of being able to shop, return items, and the use of salon services at its many store locations. Customers who are on the go can also use the mobile app. Overall, ULTA provides an extensive selection of makeup brands to fit your beauty needs conveniently placed in one location.

Also, take a look at the other makeup stores listed on our website to see how ULTA makeup compares.

N

January 22nd, 2021 Oakland, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

ULTA is the perfect mix of high end products versus low end products. I was able to find the Morphe 35O palette on their site when the Morphe site was completely sold out.

Mason Allen

January 21st, 2021 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ulta has good products but they never seem to have enough stock at the stores. I like pretty much everything else about them. Their customer service, trustworthiness etc.

brindle's corner

January 21st, 2021 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great costumer service, love that they have lower end prices too for when I’m not looking for crazyyy expensive makeup. Only thing is, sometimes they don’t always have what I’m looking for. They are sometimes sold out of something and don’t have it then or whatever. Usually my go to makeup store though!

Nicole Johnson

January 21st, 2021 Portland, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have found great deals and have always been welcomed by a clean place and friendly workers.

Abby Ashby

January 21st, 2021 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I get all my makeup from ulta. They often have deals going on that i love to take advantage of. They also always have the best birthday gifts and great rewards programs to save money.

Cindy H

January 21st, 2021 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I don't love going to this store but i will when there is a sell. I feel that the workers are not often eager to help.

Jennifer Ashby

January 20th, 2021 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like shopping at Ulta. They have everything I need and there’s always a deal or coupon. I know they carry the best quality merchandise.

Carol Knight

January 20th, 2021 Salt Lake City, UT

I love to shop at ULTA. They have such a fabulous array and variety of product to shop for!

Amy McCarlie

January 20th, 2021 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ulta is one of my favorite stores ever! I get most of my makeup/skincare and so many other fun things! I love how they always have girls at the front greeting you. Any time I have had questions, someone is always there to help! I love this place!

Sybil

December 20th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Package marked delivered but not received. A lot of back and forth with customer service with no help. Only Package out of 50+ of shopping deliveries not received. Wont have it in time for Christmas. So disappointed! Never shopping there again!

Beauty Mom

December 8th, 2020 Greenwich, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Shipping takes forever!!! Customer service was of NO help!!!

Mary Pobanz

December 3rd, 2020 American Fork, UT

I love going to Ulta just to shop. When I was last there, the first person I saw offered assistance and actually walked me to the item. I was so grateful!

Jungle55

December 3rd, 2020 Coeur d'Alene, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Honestly, I thought I was going to hate Ulta, as I am NOT a make-up/hair kind of gal. BUT, the staff are always so helpful and kind, I love shopping there! I can go in, not knowing anything, vaguely describe what I am needing and come out an expert with all the right stuff :)

Jannis Ly

November 30th, 2020 San Antonio, TX

Ulta is my go to store to buy makeup. They have a variety of different brands and is a clean store. Also shipping is fast for online orders.

Rhyia Emeri Reyes

November 23rd, 2020 San Antonio, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

ULTA is my go to place for products ranging from perfume to face wash. I love that I am able to earn points for each purchase. I save more money shopping at ULTA in comparison to other makeup stores.

jaci finch

November 20th, 2020 Corpus Christi, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love shopping at Ulta. I get my brows done at the benefit bar and love them every time.

Phebe Rowland

November 18th, 2020 Fayetteville, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My experience with ULTA has been wonderful. Upon entering the store, I am always greeted with a smile by the workers. They ask me how I am doing and if I need help with anything. ULTA also has a wide variety of beauty supplies, and the store is extremely organized.

Debora Paez

November 16th, 2020 Chicago, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

There is makeup for all sorts of budgets which makes Ulta the best place for makeup. Staff is always friendly & the salon services in store are very useful

Allyson Miriani

November 16th, 2020 Springfield, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have always had great experiences with ULTA. All of the associates are very helpful and can answer any questions you have.

Devin

November 16th, 2020 Fayetteville, AR

Ulta is nice. I would say Sephora is superior, however. Makeup artists are a bit iffy.

Caitlin

November 15th, 2020 Fayetteville, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The employees at every ULTA store I have visited have always been so helpful and knowledgable about the products in the store. I can walk in knowing what kind of products I need, but the recommendations from the staff always help steer me in the right direction! ULTA stores are inclusive to beauty gurus and beginners alike.

Summer Meadors

November 15th, 2020 Fayetteville, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ulta is one of my favorite makeup stores. Their stock is always up to date, and their workers are always so helpful.

Sarah

November 15th, 2020 Fayetteville, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

ULTA always has everything I need, and the employees are always so welcoming and helpful. They are eager to help you out and give recommendations based off of what you need! And I appreciate that they have been following COVID guidelines strictly!

Rog

November 15th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Amazing store. Always comfortable atmosphere with anything makeup I could literally ever want and the workers love their job and help me so much

Nurse2014

November 15th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love being able to have all my beauty needs bailable in one store. They are very helpful if you have questions.

Lisa Hansen

November 14th, 2020 Idaho Falls, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love buying my make up at Ulta! My favorite is the foundation. It matches my skin tones the best and gives me a natural look!

Beccajo 1976

November 14th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ulta has a great selection of items. This is the only place I go for makeup. The staff is also very helpful

mikala gneiting

November 13th, 2020 Ammon, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love their online store. It’s easy to navigate and I love getting coupons and special 20 percent off incentives. Most of their prices are competitive with other stores.

Samantha

November 13th, 2020 Fayetteville, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I go to ULTA often for my makeup and hair needs and I am always pleased with the customer service and the variety that they have available.

Chelsey Smith

November 13th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My favorite one stop make up store for so many reason. I appreciate the knowledgeable staff. I love looking at all the different make up lines. I also appreciate buying samples!

Marcie M

November 13th, 2020 Idaho Falls, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ulta is such a great store to shop at for all your makeup and beauty needs. Prices are reasonable and the staff is very helpful. The last time I went I was looking for a bottle of face mask cream. I asked one of the staff for help and she was able to explain the differences between a couple different bottles, and she even helped me find one on sale. The selection and variety in this store is amazing. I love to stock up on the big bottles of shampoo and conditioner when they go on sale. Ulta is the best!!

Picnicky82

November 13th, 2020 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ultra introduced me to Tarte and the best mascara ever. I don’t always shop there because if there isn’t a sale the name brand stuff can be quite pricey. They usually have some great deals and that’s when I stock u.

Melissa Giddings

November 13th, 2020 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have recently used car side pick up and was pleased with it. I don’t like going inside because the perfume smell is so strong.

Ashlee Bair

November 12th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We bought Make-Up for my 15 year old from Ulta! It was a great quality and the price was fantastic!

Brooklyn Bishop

November 12th, 2020 Smithfield, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

ULTA is such a good makeup brand. They have almost every makeup brands you can think of and the quality is great! It is a bit pricey but it’s totally worth it!

Chelsea Kidd

November 12th, 2020 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent cosmetic products! Has been great about social distancing and sanitation practices through this whole COVID-19 Pandemic.

Elyse Chinnock

November 11th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

ULTA is amazing! I have been shopping with them for about 10 years now. They have great products and customer service. Employees are always willing to help me find my foundation shade or recommend the latest and greatest new product.

Kristi

November 11th, 2020 Logan, UT

Prices tend to be a little higher than I can get elsewhere. Place is always very clean

Melissa

November 10th, 2020 Providence, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love how bright the store is and how there plenty of selection for high end, as well as drug store beauty supplies.

Tara Bindrup

November 10th, 2020 Smithfield, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Ulta because they carry most on my favorite makeup brands and offer promotions throughout the year for many of their brands. I also love the return policy that you can return items even if used if you are not satisfied for any reason.

Cdavid

November 10th, 2020 St Louis, MO

I love Ulta for the makeup and hair care that I can not find anywhere else. I can earn bonus point to use on future purchases.

Michelle Lyle

November 10th, 2020 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really enjoy visiting ULTA. It’s very organized, lots of choices, and clean. I am disappointed that they don’t carry the Estée Lauder brand.

Heather Anderson

November 10th, 2020 Providence, UT

I love Ulta. It’s a treat to go into their store. My daughters and I love to go there for the latest beauty projects. They have a great customer service.

Eliza Jane Arledge

November 10th, 2020 Smithfield, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

ULTA has always been my go to cosmetic store, not just for the amazing products that they sell there. I love them for multiple reasons, they're in store customer service is always great and I feel like their employees are all well trained and all know what they're talking about. I have also have enjoyed using their online website for shopping as well and have always been pleased with my outcome.

Dizzy

November 10th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Ulta offers a variety of products and they have a nice selection of brands for curly hair. Coupons can’t be used on most products.

Debbie Stringham

November 9th, 2020 Garden City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like their great selection of products. I buy most of my makeup and hair products there.

Jma55

November 9th, 2020 Smithfield, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love Ulta. It has everything we ever need in beauty products. We also love there skincare services.

Crystal

November 9th, 2020 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love our ulta store. It has great products that you can't get very easily in a smaller town without a mall cosmetic store. They have great sales, staff, and selection

Scott Billings

November 9th, 2020 Smithfield, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I live in a house with 4 women, this store is a staple at our house. All the beauty supplies in one place.

Cjorduno

November 8th, 2020 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use Ulta for all my beauty needs! I love their products and their customer service!