Thrive Causemetics was founded in 2013 by Karissa Bodnar after a very close friend of hers passed away from cancer. Karissa has worked as a makeup artist for over a decade and formulated and designed many beauty products. The ingredient lists include a combination of natural ingredients including Orchid Stem Cell Complex, castor oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, and shea butter. For every product that is purchased, Thrive Causemetics donates one to a woman going through cancer treatment. This company believes in “Beauty with a Purpose” and that women who are going through cancer treatment shouldn’t just survive, they should thrive.

#1 ULTA chevron_right
#3 Sephora chevron_right

The Good

• Unique Mission and Products
  • Bestselling Thrive Mascara
  • Makeup Tutorials
  • Free Shipping on Orders Over $35

Unique Mission and Products

Thrive Causemetics has a very clear purpose: To make sure all women feel confident and beautiful, no matter their circumstances. This company was founded to help women who have lost their hair, do just that. With every purchase that is made, one beauty product will be donated to a woman who is undergoing cancer treatment. Most faux eyelashes or lash extensions are made to adhere to eyelashes that are already there, but Thrive Causemetics lashes are specially designed for women who no longer have any. Bodnar has developed a variety of other beauty products that include: Infinity Waterproof Eyeliner, Liquid Lash Extensions Mascara, lash adhesive, eye shadow, eye brightener, liquid lipstick, lip gloss, and brow liner to make sure women have everything they need to feel beautiful. While Thrive Causemetics products are designed to help women who have lost their hair, the products work for any woman, lashes, and eyebrows or not. Thrive Causemetics uses only cruelty-free, vegan ingredients.

Bestselling Thrive Mascara

Thrive's bestselling mascara is a lash growing mascara that promotes long-term growth and moisture for your natural lashes. It is a tubing mascara, which means the mascara covers each individual lash with a tube-like layer. This product is a more affordable option than eyelash extensions, works well for those with watery or sensitive eyes and is more effective in creating a long lashes look than traditional volumizing mascara alone. The formula can be removed easily with makeup remover and a washcloth or cotton ball. Liquid Lash Extensions Mascara is not advertised as a waterproof mascara but the tube-like fiber layer is water resistant.

Makeup Tutorials

There are tutorials offered to help women get the look they want. They are step-by-step instructions for different looks and practices directly from a Thrive makeup artist. These tutorials are helpful to those women who are unsure about how to achieve the look they are hoping for. Thrive Causemetics also offers videos on how to care for the false lashes that are purchased. From fine lines, skin tone, and lip colors Thrive can help you create the look you want.

Free Shipping on Orders Over $35

Free shipping is offered on all orders over $35. Because their products are high end, most of the orders made qualify for free shipping. Plus the more customers spend, the more products are donated to help those women in need. Thrive also offers free shipping on any returned product, including a postage-paid U.S. return label in each order. They are also willing to fully refund makeup the customer is unsatisfied with, within reasonable circumstances.

The Bad

Limited Product Offering

Thrive Causemetics has a limited product range. They provide customers with eyelashes, eyeliner, brow liner, lash adhesive, Glossy Lip Mark, Lip Mate, Bronzer, Blush, Triple Threat Color Stick, Brilliant Eye Brightener, and eyeshadow. But if customers are looking for any other makeup products such as foundation, perfumes, or other skincare products, they won't find it here. Thrive was founded to provide women with the things they have lost (eyelashes and eyebrows), but foundation and skincare may be provided in the future.

The Bottom Line

This company may not have as much variety in terms of product selection, but its bestselling mascara promoting lash growth sets it apart, and Thrive has a purpose and cause. Thrive Causemetics offers great products while also donating to women in need because every woman deserves to feel beautiful in their own skin.

2.7

Marjorie Simon

October 21st, 2020 Minneapolis, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Buyer beware! If you purchase a Thrive Causemetic, be prepared for daily ads in your email inbox--until you spam them---and that's just the start! Now I get pop-up ads on both my computer and phone for Thrive. I can't read one newspaper article online without being bothered by these ads CONSTANTLY--MULTIPLE TIMES while reading just one story. OK, I can delete my cookies and cache, but why should I have to? That's a hassle. What's more concerning, though, is the amount of money they are spending on their online advertising. I conclude the vast majority of their profits are poured back into advertising--NOT the worthy causes they claim to assist with. Really disgusted with Thrive and I rue the day I ever purchased one of their products.

Karina G

October 3rd, 2020 Burlingame, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I needed an eyeliner for the water line (should’ve got the urban decay one) but I went with the 24 hr waterproof black liner that claims to be for the waterline. I’m not rich, but I bought it. It doesn’t do anything but smear in about 5-10 minutes. I wouldn’t Recommend this product as a product regardless of where the proceeds are going. Also I would’ve given a higher review just not to be mean but I couldn’t find anywhere to write a review. Clearly they have their reviews customized. How convenient.

Not Happy

September 23rd, 2020 Temecula, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really wanted to like the Thrive Liquid Eyelash Extensions mascara. My eyes constantly watered throughout the day. Upon taking off the product, my eyelids had an allergic rash reaction - red, puffy, and itchy. It took a few days to clear up. I tried using the product three times over the course of a month with the same outcome. I am not overly sensitive to makeup products and have never had a reaction like this one to mascara. Please do more testing with your product and correct the formula.

Dominique

September 19th, 2020 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I order all of my mascara through Thrive, they have the liquid lash extension mascara that works incredibly well! I remain impressed with this company every time I order a product.

isabel

September 15th, 2020 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like that the cosmetics made by the company are vegan and cruelty free and refrain from using harmful ingredients but also work well.

Kenzie Comstock

September 3rd, 2020 Woods Cross, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have loved everything I have purchased from Thrive Causemetics. Their mascara is my all time favorite! I also love their CC Cream. They also have great customer service. The first CC Cream I ordered didn't match my skin complexion and I was able to exchange it for the right one.

Shawn Cortes

September 2nd, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love using Thrives liquid mascara! It really makes my lashes look so much longer and fuller

Kendra Nolan

July 15th, 2020 North Palm Beach, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had very high hopes for Thrive after reading great reviews but sadly I cannot recommend to anyone! I got an infection on my eyelid within 24 hours of using the eye brightener. I have gone to see two doctors to help remedy this and it is now 10 days later and my eyelid is starting to heal. I have never experienced this type of reaction before. Be Aware!!!!!

Tara Nichols

June 23rd, 2020 ,

I received this mascara in a subscription box and it does extend your lashes some BUT I can’t wear it!! I have NEVER had any issues with eye irritation in using mascara for close to 20 years now but this mascara actually hurts my eyes they turn red sometimes just one sometimes both and they ache! It’s horrible at first I couldn’t identify what was causing my issues so I stopped using my eyeliner that I have repurchased several times and also made sure all of my brushes and shadows were clean and sanitized I had stopped using the mascara after a while I decided to try and use it again to see if the mascara was what was causing my pain and sure enough the second day using it and my eye hurts so bad it just aches and waters and the only thing that seems to ease it is closing it!!

Jensyn James

June 9th, 2020 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I bought this after seeing a ton of instagram ads for it and finally gave in. At first I loved the length but then after 30 mins it started to flake. I’ve only worn it twice and each time have gotten a bad reaction which I think it because of the mascara. my eyelids are red, puffy, dry, and my eyes hurt!! I’ll stick to my L’oréal for cheaper and better quality mascara from now on.

Kevin McGettigan

April 28th, 2020 Madison, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They did give a refund and apologized for the misunderstanding. I was able to return the products I ordered. If I could change the less than positive review I left a few days ago I would.

Lynne Carroll

April 22nd, 2020 Warren, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Not a fan. Bought mascara and a tube of foundation. Just so so. And will not buy again. I can get a lot cheaper..and does equally as well.

CarrieTom Beaulieu

April 21st, 2020 Cary, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used the brilliant eye brightened and it caused an allergic reaction on my lids and under my eye. It was almost like a burn- very red for a few days and then the skin peeled. Ugh never again

Jenzennnnnnnnn

March 27th, 2020 El Dorado Hills, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It burns, it has funny clumps which are difficult to remove at night. Absolutely hate this mascara.

MissyB

March 23rd, 2020 San Francisco, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

BEWARE: Mascara is terrible and expensive. It clumps and flakes off by midday, and burned my eyes. I tried to return it (they charge you $5 to do this), but my return can't be processed with the order number they gave me. Terrible customer service; sort of an "oh well too bad" attitude. Won't ever order from this company again.

Sandy Drelich

March 6th, 2020 Cape Coral, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was very disappointed with the eyeliner that claimed it stayed on over 24 hours. I couldn't keep mine on more than 2 hours! I tried using it in multiple ways, including using primer and powder and nothing kept it on. The mascara and eye brightener was okay but not good enough to re order

Carissa

January 6th, 2020 Mount Vernon, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I started using Thrive Causemetics a couple of months ago and I’m happy with it. I am using the mascara, foundation (CC cream), eyebrow gel, eyeliner, eye brightening stick, and eye shadow. Very happy with everything! The mascara really brings out my eyelashes. I like the free shipping option and the products come quickly. Everything is made without parabens or sulphates, which is extremely important to me. For comparison, I’m also using some Lawless and Tarte products. Thrive Causemetics is my new go-to for makeup.

RebeccaG

December 19th, 2019 Norristown, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Don't fall for the click and bait! The mascara they heavily advertise is utter crap! Their customer service is not that great, had to as Sinead the same question multiple times. They also charge a $5 return fee if you want to return an item and not exchange. While they may be willing to waive the free if you complain, they still expect you to spend your own money to send them back the used makeup (which clearly is not as advertised)! Ultimately, don't waste your money. Go to an actual in person make up company, that isn't click bait!

Vicki

December 19th, 2019 Simi Valley, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been buying this product for awhile now and love the mascara, however I just purchased one and it has no stopper inside so it is useless and I see now way to contact the company to return it, not clear on how their policies work?

Katy Fairchild

December 13th, 2019 Dunnellon, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Do not buy the eye brightening pencil, it is defected!!! The tip always breaks off, plus it is way overpriced too, hope this helps you

Laura

November 12th, 2019 Yulee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love their mascara! It’s the only one that makes my skimpy lashes look long and full. The only thing that would improve this would be if they had a waterproof mascara. I tried their eye liner, brow pencil and so far it’s all great.

Jill

November 9th, 2019 Spokane, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use their mascara, eyeliner, lip gloss, lipstick and eye brightener. The only product I didn’t fall in love with was this cc cream. I find all these review complaining odd. I’m totally in love with the product line. My one item I can’t live with out is their mascara. It is amazing!!! I’ve been using the product for about 2 years now and have my teen daughter hooked too.

Greta

November 6th, 2019 Tomah, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

DON’T WASTE YOU’RE MONEY! I should know by now that I should stick with what you know and with what you know works. The advertisements on my news feed were so convincing, I thought, great something that looks like it does what it says it does. I ordered the mascara, eye brightening stick and the CC cream. I was so excited when my package arrived I had to try it out right away. The mascara did not make my lashes full or longer looking - even after 3-4 coats! My $11 L’Oréal Voluminous Butterfly Mascara works much better than this stuff! The eye brightening pencil gave me a waxy look - like I had applied Vaseline or wax to my eyes. When I first put the CC cream on my face - I thought wow! This stuff really covers well. It blended with my skin tone perfectly BUT, by the end of the day areas of my face started feeling tight and itchy and I broke out around my cheeks and nose. I immediately washed my face when I got home. I’m not going to waste my time sending the products back.i can’t find my return receipt anyway. Bottom line... stick with products you know!

S Dunn

October 31st, 2019 Aurora, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The liner is crap! It will not stick to the water line, even when I tried drying my water line, and the gal in the video on the site cannot keep her eyes open for the required 10 (or was it more?) seconds, she blinked at 3 seconds. It just doesn't work. Total waste of money. If I could give it minus stars, I would!

jillian sturt

October 30th, 2019 Longmont, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I would do zero stars on this if it were possible. Bought the liquid lash extensions mascara. Have used many kinds before and this did not even work as well as the cheap max factor from target. I am returning...after paying shipping as well as a five dollar " handling fee". Never will buy from this bogus company again. Misleading money grabbers.

Dee

October 28th, 2019 Roanoke, TX

Can’t believe these products are double the price from Amazon. I wouldn’t order the mascara based on all the negative reviews. Who wants there eyelashes to fall out? I am curious about the highlighting stick. If it works as they say. One I won’t pay double the price to Amazon, and two I don’t want to wait that long to receive an item.

Desertdiana

October 25th, 2019 Scottsdale, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Customer service is bad especially if you are unhappy. Brow pencil has stained my skin orange and no change after 3 weeks of not using the product and trying every bleaching method to remove the stains. Also very sneaky to always have 5 star reviews up first making the user search for issues with a product.

Jo Anne Pemberton

October 18th, 2019 Portland, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

To say that I was disappointed with mascara would be an understatemen. It clumps , it flakes, and literally looks like I shook pepper on my face, it's nearly impossible to remove, and I think that my lashes are actually thinner due to coming out in the clumps of mascara upon removal. The good news is that I can throw it away...and achieve the look with Clarins mascara. Sorry, to sound so harsh.....but this was not what I thought it would be based on Thrive's claims.

Chrissie

October 3rd, 2019 Athens, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I didn’t believe these ads I’ve been seeing on this mascara so I ordered and oh em gee! I received the mascara and brow pencil today (came in two business day btdubs) with my free lip topper and bag. I took half of my makeup off and applied it!! I was shooketh. -went on like a champ. One coat of thrive mascara would have been suffice to match up to my other eye that I had to apply 3 coats of one lengthening and two coats of my dior volume to. I put a second coat of thrive and it was even better -my eyes didn’t water and there was zero black thingys gathering in my tear duct and my other eye had. -my husband played a sweet song and I started to cry, no mascara was running down my face! It’s not waterproof but it didn’t budge. AMAZING! -other mascaras wear off throughout the day but this one did not. It looked just as I had just applied it and my lashes were bold and long -took a shower tonight and I didn’t have to scrub or constantly wash over my eyes to get it off. It like slid off my lashes. No breakage! -the eyebrow pencil was a perfect color and stayed through a hefty Walmart trip in GA heat. I have eyebrows so I can’t vouched for it as if I didn’t have them. I used it to shape them. - the lip topper wasn’t sticky and wasn’t too glittery or shiny. It was a perfect accent. All in all. I’ve definitely found my new mascara and brow pencil!

Katrina

September 25th, 2019 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love love LOVE this mascara! Makes my eye lashes longer and thicker. It takes some skill, but what mascara doesn’t require some learning and getting used to. I can visibly see my long eye lashes in pictures! The mascara comes off with water!!! :) I no longer have to tug and pull on my lashes and use 2 different forms of makeup remover to remove my mascara! Absolutely no fall down and dark circles left under my eyes. Love Thrive Causmetics mascara and eye highlighter!

Ann Sobchak

September 24th, 2019 Palmyra, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am an idiot and should know better at my age? i saw the mascara online i do have good eyelashes but short, i treat myself on occasion to having lashes applied the good ones are very expensive. On seeing this mascara i jumped straight away and ordered it ? after looking at the package on the back i noticed a picture before and after, as soon as i studied it i realised i had made another silly mistake. Advertisement con men!!! the eyebrows have been darkened to make the eyes look darker, she is wearing liner in the after picture also i just hate it when the rip you off why cant they just tell the truth, and goodness you dont want to go out in the wind! because if your eye runs you will have black streaks all over your face?

Julie

September 10th, 2019 Orlando, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I received a sample of the Thrive mascara in my Ipsy bag and loved it! I was excited to order the full size version. The first issue is that the 10% coupon code they offer for signing up does not work (for myself or my coworker that I told her to try this awesome mascara) I liked it enough that I could get past the 10%. I had no issues with ordering and it delivered pretty quickly. Now that I have the full size mascara I am having a different experience. You have a small window to apply this and are not able to apply more than one coat before it dries and hardens. I have made the mistake of trying to do the second coat and I end up with tangled, clumpy looking lashes. Once it is on you would need to literally use a make up remover or soap and water to get it off and start again. I am disappointed because I had zero issues with the sample size and everyone told me how great my lashes looked. I am not sure why the full size does not work as well. I see other people are having the same disappointing experiences.

Rosemarie Chegwin

August 29th, 2019 Valencia, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am sorry I fell for the ad on Facebook. I have very sparse and slow growing eyelashes. This product does not extend eyelashes it makes them look separate not full. I would not recommend.

Stacey

August 29th, 2019 Loveland, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ordered their mascara based on the amazing videos and photos. It is NOTHING like the advertisements. I have long/full lashes, and their mascara was awful. Made my lashes clump together, and even with a pin (needle) I wasn't able to unclump them. I tried every way imaginable to apply it: one layer, two layers, multiple layers, swipe only up, swipe up and out... You name it. They all resulted in nasty clumped lashes. It looked like I have four massive spider legs coming off of each lid. Not to mention within a couple hours it flakes off and lands under your eyes like little black specs. What upsets me the most is the fact that on their website and their social media platforms, you will not find a single disparaging review; every single one "raves" about their products. I even noticed my negative comment on their post suddenly vanished. What a dishonest company to only post 5-start reviews, and positive comments, and delete all the negative ones! Horrible business ethics. I really regret that I didn't look their company up before purchasing. Please steer clear of Thrive. (Oh and like others say, $8 drug store mascara is way better than this!) Stay away from Thrive Causemetics!

Pearl

August 26th, 2019 Huntersville, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really wish I had read the reviews first. The mascara is VERY clumpy and sticky. Good luck getting it off. Especially without pulling your lashes out. Normal make up remover or face wash will NOT get this off. Don't waste your money. Next.

Jd Young

August 18th, 2019 Locust Dale, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Purchased the mascara and lipstick. I’d give the mascara a 5 on the 1-10 scale. Not impressed. But, am truly disappointed in the lipstick. It is dry and difficult to apply, pulls the lips. I was lookin forward to a moist, dependable lipstick. They were my only - and last - purchases from Thrive.

Deborah Fulbright

August 6th, 2019 Galveston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recently purchased Thrice Causemetics Liquid Lash Extensions Mascara and I am very disappointed in the product. The Loreal Telescopic Mascara I have been buying for $11.00 in drug stores is much better. Liquid Lash Extensions does not lengthen effectively and is extremely clumpy and flakey. This mascara looks NOTHING like what it does in the professional stock photos on models when you see it on humans in real life. I would highly recommend not wasting your money - you will be disappointed!

Kap

August 2nd, 2019 Everett, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I purchased the cream shadow and am just not impressed. Way too waxy and caused my lids to itch. Money down the toilet.

Nicole M

July 23rd, 2019 Warren, RI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

be careful, I used this for weeks with great results until my eyelashes started falling out. You’ll see when you wash your face, it coats the entire lash and when you wash it comes off in black plastic strands, taking your natural lash too. They begin to fall out over time. I noticed my lashes stuck all over my lash curler as well, something that had never happened in my life. I have no pre-exhausting allergies/sensitivities.

Anne Aulbert

July 22nd, 2019 Hillsborough, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The mascara goes on clumpy and flakes off very quickly, giving you raccoon eyes. But this is not the worst of my problems. Their ads have hijacked my phone. I cannot check email, read a blog post or read my morning devotional with constant interruptions of their ads! So terribly annoying!!!!

KKH369

June 23rd, 2019 Englewood, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

First of all, for those saying this stuff is made in China? I bought the Liquid Lash Extension Mascara, WHICH IS MADE IN THE USA, and the Eye Brightener, WHICH IS MADE IN GERMANY. So at least those two products are NOT MADE IN CHINA. Second, the mascara is the best mascara I have ever used. I have tried the cheap stuff (Cover Girl, Maybelline) and the good stuff (Lancome, MAC, Bare Minerals) and this is the best mascara I've ever used. No clumping, no flaking, and it made my lashes much longer. Came off easily w my normal makeup remover. The Eye Brightener is great too. It brightens quite a bit, and is nice to use as a pale eye shadow when I don't want to do "full" makeup. I am very pleased with both products, and I like what the company does for women.

Lorraine

June 10th, 2019 Charlotte, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So far, have been very pleased with my products. Lipstick and eye brightener both excellent. I am so picky on lipsticks and Thrive lipstick is excellent and long lasting. Also, adorable packaging and timely delivery.

EB

June 6th, 2019 Riverside, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I'm sorry. I did fall for the ads I saw on Facebook having to do with the Thrive cosmetics. I order the extension mascara and an eyeliner. Not impressed at all. After applying the mascara, I did see that the mascara did extend my eyelashes like it said it would, but hours later I went to look to see if the mascara had flaked and yes it had. There were flakes all over my eyes. The eyeliner was so so. Not really the color I had expected from the what was shown on the Thrive website. So, now off I go to return both products. I'll stick with what I've been using in the past. (There's not even a place on Facebook where I could give a review).

Dee H.

May 12th, 2019 Shady Cove, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love the mascara! It does what it says and is the best out there! I have tried too many to list! Very speedy, but worth it. The mission is what drew me to them. Am surviving a female cancer, so appreciate a company so dedicated. Thanks Thrive you are helping many of us!

M Layne

May 9th, 2019 Chattanooga, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I would give the Thrive mascara zero starts if it were an option. I had beautiful black eyelashes before I started using it and just wanted to accentuate them a bit, now I have half the eyelashes I had before and have used nothing different on my eyes. This stuff is garbage and made the existing eyelashes break and fall out. I'll never purchase from this company again.

Yvonne Killman

May 2nd, 2019 Albuquerque, NM DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I tried the mascara for ONE day and noticed I immediately got a headache and slight burning near the base of my lashes. The mascara is clumpy and looked awful on. I was going to try it one more day to see if there was a better technique but when I CAREFULLY removed my makeup at night I noticed a clump of my lashes had fallen out AND the lashes that remained were actually shorter.

Audra J Kolker

April 18th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Amazing product, the lash extension mascara has fully replaced any expensive extentions

Ronna S

April 15th, 2019 Tucson, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I got the brilliant eye product and am disappointed because you can barely see anything, the product broke ss I was applying it in the first week and you don’t seem to get hardly anything from this product both in making your eyes stand out plus there is barely any product. I should have returned it but now it’s been longer than 60 days. ☹️

Sara

April 13th, 2019 Ventura, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I purchased Lip Mate High-Shine Reviving Topper™ (Glinda) I am not impressed-- it works no better than any of my other High shine lipsticks at less than half the cost of this one...

Maroddo

March 17th, 2019 Sacramento, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Return policy is: “..if we decide to refund your money..” Although a bit pricey, I went ahead and tried the mascara. It was very, very clumpy and did not work well for me at all. I followed all of the return protocols and sent it back right away, but it’s been a month and haven’t heard anything or seen a refund. The return instructions advise customers to send products back and they will decide whether or not to refund your money. They have their heart in the right place with product design and ingredients, but a “we’ll see if we want to refund your money for something that didn’t work for you” is not the best business practice. I won’t order anything else.