Sephora Logo

8.2

LAST UPDATED: August 30th, 2021

Sephora offers a selection of makeup, skincare, fragrances, body lotions, and hair products from hundreds of brands.

Sephora was founded in France in 1970 and now has approximately 1,900 stores in 29 countries worldwide, including 360 stores across North America. The Sephora website was launched in the United States in 1999.

Keep reading for the pros and cons of shopping with Sephora along with verified customer reviews

ULTA Logo
#1 ULTA chevron_right
Thrive Causemetics Logo
#3 Thrive Causemetics chevron_right
2.7
Sally Beauty Supply Logo
#4 Sally Beauty Supply chevron_right

The Good

• Vast Selection of Makeup Products
  • Great Online Features
  • Free Shipping on Orders Over $50
  • Flexible Return Policy
  • Beauty Insider Rewards Program
  • Customer Service Hours

Vast Selection of Makeup Products

Sephora offers thousands of products from hundreds of makeup brands. Among the top beauty brands they sell:

• Kat Von D
  • Huda Beauty
  • Drunk Elephant
  • Briogeo
  • Fenty Beauty
  • Jo Malone
  • Urban Decay

Customers will find a wide selection of eye shadow, bronzer, concealer, eyeliner, lipstick, waterproof mascara, and many other top beauty accessories. If you are looking to try something new every order comes with two free samples of your choice.

Great Online Features

There are several different online features that Sephora provides for additional information about its beauty products. In the Beauty Talk section of the website, users can submit questions to be answered by other Sephora users. In order to join the conversation, however, users must be a Sephora member. All users can access how-to videos from professional makeup artists, articles, and The Beauty Board which provides inspirational photos and makeup ideas.

Free Shipping on Orders Over $50

Sephora offers free shipping on all orders over $50.00. For orders under $50.00, users are offered 3-day shipping for $5.95. Sephora also offers 2-day, 1-day or USPS priority shipping for an additional cost.

Flexible Return Policy

Sephora also offers free returns both online and in-store. Customers will receive full refunds for items that are returned within 60 days, or store credits for items that are returned in 61-90 days.

Beauty Insider Rewards Program

Sephora customers can sign up for the free Beauty Insider rewards program and email newsletters. This also gives you the option to receive free deluxe samples, birthday gifts, Beauty Insider offers, and more. Sephora members also have unlimited access to the Sephora Community for the ultimate Sephora shopping experience. Here you can ask questions about all of the products and even how to choose the right shade for your skin tone. Non-members also have access to the Community board but cannot submit questions.

Customer Service Hours

Sephora has an 877-number for contacting customer service. Their customer service representatives are available Monday–Friday, 6:00 am–9:00 pm PST, and Saturday–Sunday, 8:00 am–5:00 pm PST. Under the "Contact Us" section of the website, users also have the option of filling out an online form to contact customer service through email.

The Bad

Missing Popular Brands

While Sephora offers hundreds of different makeup products from top beauty brands, it does not sell some of the most popular brands. For example, Sephora does not carry L'Oreal, CoverGirl, or M.A.C.

The Bottom Line

Sephora is an established brand in the makeup industry and offers the convenience of returning and exchanging online purchases in-store. In addition, the website features several helpful tools for all makeup enthusiasts including articles, videos, community forums, inspiration boards, free samples, and a personal wishlist.

Jena Siren Taylor, MI

Love Sephora. They've got great brands and my favorite location is Fairlane Mall in Dearborn, MI. Their management there is incredibly friendly and very helpful. The manager, Marisa, is knowledgeable and has helped me multiple times.

Pauline Causse Provo, UT

Sephora is where I usually go when I want to treat myself. They have a great selection of products, and it's always nice to have advice from the workers there. I sometimes feel a little lost when looking for makeup because there can be so many options, so I like that someone is always there to make recommendations based on what I'm looking for

Yanesezah Fenelon Delray Beach, FL

Sephora is great makeup store that provides a variety of options for each type of makeup. The workers provide great customer service and are always available to help with questions. They also provide quality makeup at reasonable prices.

Taylor Larson

I love Sephora makeup stores because they have samples of the products so I know more about the products before I purchase them. I always feel like I receive help and information about the products from the employees whenever I shop here.

Ajanaee x San Antonio, TX

Sephora is great for any make up need. The only downfall is the rewards point system, they should consider having points equate to discounts instead of trial size products.

Brenda Nakhon Sawan, 60

The products I have bought from Sephora have been pretty great across all of their stores that I have been to. The people have always been very nice; not to mention their makeup is flawless.

Madisen Cluff Los Angeles, CA

I love the environment that each Sephora store has. The makeup the employees wear is always stunning and the place smells really good. This is something that I have noticed frequently between all the different Sephora stores I have been to.

Simone Tallahassee, FL

Love that they’re always updating their selection of products. The customer service is normally very informative but inconsistent in terms of friendliness. Overall enjoy my experience here.

Beth Knight Nakhon Sawan, 60

As someone obsessed with makeup and beauty products, I love shopping at Sephora! They have everything I ever need and have great staff who are always willing to help me find it

Megan Milke Laurel, MD

The makeup Sephora sells is very high quality, but I do wish they had a larger inventory. Even though their online inventory is larger than their in store, I still wish they sold some of the lower end, more affordable brands.

Lisa C Johnson Washington, DC

I went to Sephora to get a gift for my neighbors daughter. She wanted a specific brand of makeup. I know very little about makeup. The employee helped me find the makeup I needed and was very knowledgeable about makeup. They also had testers where I tried some perfumes. First time in this store and I was very impressed.

Mary Hardy Annapolis, MD

With both Ulta and Sephora I know I'm getting a good price on makeup and perfume. They have a list of things I like and would like to try. I also like the fact they won't rip you off of your money. It's clean makeup never used and with my samples they're also covered clean.

L. Hill Salt Lake City, UT

As the mother of five daughters who ALL love Sephora, I can't say enough good things about them. They have every imaginable beauty product and their customer service is fantastic. They are happy to offer samples if you want to give something a try before purchasing... but on the same note... if you are disatisfied with anything... simply bring it back for a full refund!

daphjohnson Saratoga Springs, UT

Sephora is a great store to get all your beauty needs at once. I love coming here because you can ask the experts and get new makeup or beauty ideas from someone who knows what they are talking about. I also like that they can help you color match your face so that you aren't surprised with what makeup you purchased after you get home and its too late.

Morgan Knight Salt Lake City, UT

I love Sephora! It is so nice to be able to walk in and not have to wait for someone at a counter like in a department store! I love their point system to, and the sample section so you can try lots of products without having to buy an expensive big bottle you have never tried before! The staff is always so helpful and there is a wonderful feeling when you are there!

Traci Nakhon Sawan, 60

Sephora carries some amazing brands at a great price. Their employees are very kind and respectful when you ask them questions. It has an environment that is very welcoming.

Darci Vasquez Spokane, WA

I love Sephora because of how many different products and brands are sold there. I have always had a good experience there with the customer service as well. I also like the aesthetic of the store.

Jessica Chen Rockville, MD

Great customer service and very clean store. Salsa was phenomenal and was very patient in helping me find the products I was looking for. Highly recommend this location. They always have what I need and the consultants are very knowledgeable in skin care.

Jade Eggleston Ithaca, NY

I shop at Sephora for skincare and makeup products. Employees are very helpful and friendly in all of the stores I have visited. It's also easy to find products on the website. For improvements, I would love to see more variety in the reward system free gifts!

Phabie Mobile, AL

I love the foundation match that they offer! I am able to know my shade from top makeup brands without having to play a guessing game. The Sephora lashes are great also! Cheaper than other lashes in the store with similar quality.

Cade Boudreaux , FL

Sephora is a Great cosmetic store. The customer service is very friendly I’m very willing to help you find whatever you need. I bought my girlfriend fancy lipstick from over there and it was very affordable compared to other stores.

Jaci Rhoades , TX

I love this store. I could spend all day in Sephora trying all the samples, looking through all the options. Every product I have bought from there has lasted a long time. My clarisonic is still working and I bought it 6 years ago. The staff is really friendly and helpful.

Lindsey Newman American Fork, UT

I love the variety and all of the different brands of makeup offered at sephora! I feel like I could get lost in there for a long time and the employees and makeup artists are all so helpful and you are never wandering long before someone helps you find what you need

Nicole LeBaron Provo, UT

Sephora is definitely higher priced, but the value is great. I got some face cream to help my dry face and it was expensive, but I only have to buy it about every 9 months to a year. Also, the store is always well organized. My friends and I stop at Sephora at the mall constantly.

Nishita McLean, VA

I have so many Sephora products I can open my own store, on second thought... one can never have enough Sephora products. I have been buying Contours, Concealers, gloss, Kohl, and the moisturizers .. for years now. love their products.

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

Sephora is the one stop shop for all things makeup. It is literally the greatest! We use only organic lines and they have plenty of options for that too. If you need any new makeup- Sephora is the place. They have great customer service and decent prices.

Nichole Davidson Sandy, UT

I've always been able to find what I need and the employees has always been helpful when I had questions or needed advice. Sephora is the best cosmetic/beauty store, in my opinion, and I always trust the products they sell. I've never had to return any product because I've always been so happy with my purchases.

Tiffany American Fork, UT

Sephora has a huge variety of products which can sometimes be an overwhelming experience. I do like that I can try many products they have on a trial basis, I have done that with foundation and purfume. This is nice because it's hard to choose these things on the spot at the store. Overall, it's pricey but that is just what the products go for everywhere. The birthday club and points system are nice and give you a chance to try new products.

Pete Centerville, UT

My favorite thing about Sephora is they let you get samples of cologne/perfume so you can try it before you buy it. I get to try it out, see how i feel about it, and then buy it if i really want it. It makes buying cologne so much better because I know i wont regret buying it.

Taylor Hall Los Angeles, CA

Sephora is my go to for high-quality make up with high variety! They always have everything I need and I’ve never disappointed. The staff is so kind and so willing to help. And the prices are affordable enough that I’m able to try new things when I go.

Emily H West Wendover, NV

This is my go-to makeup store. I've been very happy with the face products I've purchased there. Makeup is definitely on the more expensive end, but the quality is high. Brands are fairly priced, and they often have great sales. I pay $20 for my cat eyeliner, but it lasts me months--far longer than the brands you could buy at any grocery store makeup sections. They also give you a free product during your birthday month!

N Oakland, CA

I have been shopping at Sephora for years. If you want high end makeup, or want to take a trip on the low side, I highly recommend Sephora. I love their point system and absolutely LOVE their return policy and their customer service.

Irinna Danielson Riverton, UT

I went to Sephora for the first time to take my daughter for a make up appointment for her birthday. The beauty consultant was so great and helped my daughter, and me, find the right colors to draw out our natural features and beauty. After that first experience, we have gone back to Sephora ever since because we know they'll know about the best products to use and they never try to sell me the most expensive brand. They're finding me the products that will fit me the best and I appreciate the personalized service. It's why we keep going back to Sephora for our makeup needs.

Anna Hu Provo, UT

Sephora is my favorite makeup store when I am wanting higher quality makeup, or help with something specific. All of the workers in the store are always so knowledgeable and happy to help me try out a product, find the right color, or give me new recommendations. They have such great variety of more luxury brands. I love their services they provide as well such as their free 15 minute mini makeovers. Sephora is definitely my go to store for any makeup needs.

CJ Milke Olney, MD

Sephora has their own line of lip-glosses that are absolutely to die for! My mother gave me the value pack last winter and I still wear them every day.

Olivia Hardy Baltimore, MD

Sephora had a wide variety of makeup products. I typically use their skin care and lotion items. Their app is also very easy to use and a free download. Sephora is usually expensive but good quality, however I personally do not recommend their hair products. I have not found them beneficial just a waste of money.

Brooklyn Bishop Smithfield, UT

Sephora has such good quality makeup. Everything lasts me a long time and the pricing is very reasonable. Everything is high quality. I would definitely recommend to everyone!

Emily Tallahassee, FL

I love that at Sephora all of the staff is trained to help out and are so knowledgeable about makeup because I am not as experienced. It has high-end products that you can't find in most places.

Molly Keogh Ogden, UT

The thing I love about Sephora is they have so many options. I went looking for a new perfume and they were so knowledgeable. They were able to find me something that didn't smell fruity.

Kimberly LeBaron Delta, UT

Sephora has a really great variety of products and really awesome staff. It’s easy to find things, and the employees are happy to recommend products or help you pick colors. Prices are fair. Being a member gets you good discounts and free things in your birthday month!

Brooke Salt Lake City, UT

I come her for all by makeup needs. There have the best variety of products. They seem to have too many employees working at once and it can get crowded, but at least there’s always someone there to help you out.

Lindsey Andersen Provo, UT

I love going in the store and playing with makeup or taking home samples of any product! If I need to go online, I have taken advantage of the free shipping deals and wider selection!

Denise H. Mona, UT

I am a huge make-up lover and overall, Sephora is a nice store with a large variety of products. However, their customer service could be much better. My experience is that many of their employees are not very well versed in their product lines and not good at recommending items. I have found this to be true even in stores located in large metropolitan areas.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

Sephora has amazing cosmetics and carries my favorite brand - Tatcha, which Ulta doesn’t. They’re a little pricey but I love their selection and and always give out samples.

Syd13 Washington, UT

Sephora is a one stop shop for all your favorite things. I love the range of products they have and that I can go to one place and get everything I need. I also really love their exclusive brands.

Simone Tallahassee, FL

The layout of the store is uniform across all the branches, making it easy to navigate. They also seem to take COVID precautions very seriously. The staff can be very friendly or very intimidating.

Victoria Fayetteville, AR

I really enjoy going to Sephora because they have a very wide selection of products for every skin type/concern and trained professionals that know just about everything about makeup. I had really dry skin and came in asking for help. The Sephora workers helped me and recommended two products that I use everyday now!

Jaida Williams Tallahassee, FL

Sephora is the place to go when looking for high end makeup. They have a wide variety of products. You can also get free gifts on your birthday and also on a good day if you are lucky. Their point system and customer service is amazing.

keiontai henry Tallahassee, FL

Sephora was where I first made my purchase of the Fenty gloss bomb! I could not beat the availability of the product anywhere else. Not to mention, each birthday they give you a selection of high quality products to choose from.

Dominique Denver, CO

Sephora has always been my go-to makeup store. The staff is incredibly helpful and willing to help you find a look that works for you! They have a huge variety of products and you’re almost guaranteed to find something that works for you.