M.A.C. Logo

7.1

M.A.C., which stands for "Makeup Art Cosmetics", is a cosmetic manufacturer headquartered in New York City. The company's products were initially designed for professional makeup artists but are now sold to everyday consumers worldwide. M.A.C. can be found online, in department stores throughout the world and in M.A.C. stores. M.A.C. sells eye shadow, lipstick, lip gloss, foundation, concealer, nail polish, mascara, fragrance, skincare products, stage makeup and beauty tools.

ULTA Logo
#1 ULTA chevron_right
Sephora Logo
#2 Sephora chevron_right
Thrive Causemetics Logo
#3 Thrive Causemetics chevron_right
2.7

The Good

• High Quality Products
  • Great Features
  • In-depth How-to Videos
M.A.C.'s products are tried and tested by professional makeup artists to ensure that they are high quality. M.A.C. is one of the only makeup stores we reviewed that also offers a Live Chat feature for customers to ask advice from M.A.C.'s experts (the other store that offers Live Chat is Urban Decay). Customers can get assistance with general makeup advice, application techniques, shade matching and more. This service is available Monday-Friday 10am-10pm EST. M.A.C. has several different site features to help online customers learn how to choose the most flattering makeup and apply it correctly. The Color Play feature that allows users to search for new makeup based on a specific color that they like or already use. The Finders feature enables customers to customize a makeup palette for their eyes and cheeks, find brushes, find mascara and discover new makeup shades that correspond with their preferences. The Videos section of the site has two options: Instant Artistry or Artists Up Close. Instant Artistry features quick technical skills that professionals use, and Artists Close Up is a series of in-depth how-to videos that share tips, tricks and techniques for applying makeup. Customers can create an account on M.A.C.'s website that allows them to track their orders, receive M.A.C. Messages, write reviews, save their favorite items and more. Customers who sign up for M.A.C.'s free emails will receive information about future products, services, events, special offers and exclusive access to new products online before they are available in stores. M.A.C.'s website features an 800-number that customers can call for assistance. Those that prefer to email also have the option of sending a message to the customer service department. A representative from M.A.C. will respond within 24 hours.

The Bad

• No Other Brands
  • No Loyalty Program
M.A.C. only sells M.A.C. products; customers who wish to purchase other makeup brands may prefer to shop at Sephora or Ulta, both of which carry several brands to choose from. Unlike many of the other makeup stores we reviewed, M.A.C. does not offer a loyalty program to reward frequent customers. The only opportunity to receive a discount is by signing up to receive emails of promotional offers.

The Bottom Line

M.A.C.'s website features several tools to help customers select and apply makeup, as well as discover new products and techniques. M.A.C. is the only makeup store we reviewed that offers the option to live chat with one of their artists, so this is a distinct benefit of using M.A.C. However, M.A.C.'s product selection is limited to only their brand and frequent customers won't be able to reap the benefits of a loyalty program.

Anne Sainsbury Salt Lake City, UT

I've only bought their lipstick but it was amazing! The color was so rich and as long as I didn't lick it off the color stayed vibrant and beautiful for as long as I wanted it to!

Madisen Cluff Los Angeles, CA

The M.A.C. stores that I have been to are nice themselves but the workers can be a little rude. I was trying to find a good primer for my skin type and the employee helping me seemed like helping me was the last thing she wanted to do. Maybe she was just having a bad day but I did not exactly feel welcome.

Christina Lockett Frederick, MD

When I first walked into M.A.C they had a wonderful organization of makeup products. They had every shade of lipsticks that fit that person color and they also had every shade of bronze.

Mary Hardy Charlotte, NC

All Mac employees want their clients to feel and look amazing. I have never felt rushed out of the store and pressure to buy so much.

Brenda Nakhon Sawan, 60

After using only MAC products for awhile I noticed that they were drying out my skin. The only good thing I noticed about MAC is how aesthetically appealing their stores are.

Jaelynn Florence Tallahassee, FL

This company has a variety of makeup products to choose from for all skin types and they also have great customer service.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

Been a long time customer. I love their lip gloss line. So many colors to choose from and gloss lasts me awhile. I love their pink/peachy colors.

Jessica Chen Rockville, MD

I love MAC products but the sales on line on their official website are terrible. They did not discount my products at check out after multiple attempts I had to call the information center. Shipping was slow and quality of products were only okay. The process to get the products was way longer than it should be

Taylor Hall Los Angeles, CA

Mac has the best quality make up around! Some of the products you just can’t find anywhere else! Their customer service is fantastic and they always go out of their way to help you. If you are looking for unique Statement colors especially, this is the place to go!

Amy McCarlie Orem, UT

Best customer service! I love my experience when I shop here! The girls always give me the top products that they love! I also have had my makeup done here and it was amazing! The MAC lipsticks are seriously the best! Nothing compares to the lipliners and lipsticks!

daphjohnson Saratoga Springs, UT

My absolute favorite makeup. It is better quality than other brands and looks like professional grade makeup, while the cost isn't out of this world. Their lipsticks have the best colors and are comfortable when you wear them.

Mom of three Brigham City, UT

M.A.C is my favorite beauty product line. The studio fix fluid foundation is creamy, goes on well. I do recommend putting lotion on before applying the foundation. M.A.C is an eco friendly company, they encourage you to recycle their products after using them. Turn in 7 empty containers and they will give you a free lipstick.

hminfo Olney, MD

I like buying M.A.C. makeup because I know it's always on trend and offers the latest in fashion color palettes.

Syd13 Washington, UT

I love and have used Mac makeup for a long time. I have very dry and sensitive skin and their products don’t cause any problems! Their staff is always super nice and helpful!

Henriettedandelion ,

Mac is a really great brand and their products are amazing but they should have another look at their price policy since, nowadays there are budgets brands offering the same quality at a much better price.

Stephanie Byrd Tallahassee, FL

M.A.C is my absolute favorite makeup company. The products and services are unmatched. The decor of the store is absolutely stunning. The products are long lasting as well. My favorite lipstick, "Ruby Woo" has lasted me well over a year. I highly recommend all makeup gurus shop here.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

MAC has great service. I love their foundation & how smooth it is. Highly recommend the concealer as well and how much it will do for you. My favorite 2 products are both their lipsticks and the variety of colors they offer as well as the eyeliner gel. So easy to put on! Love MAC & have loved it for a long time!

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

I cannot rave enough about how much I love MAC. Their makeup is to die for. They have so many different lines that match so many different occasions and needs. Their make-up is long lasting, beautiful and high quality. I’m a die hard MAC fan.

Nichole Davidson Sandy, UT

You know you're getting good product from MAC - eye shadows are blend well and are highly pigmented with a variety of different colors. I've always found exactly what I'm looking for in MAC's line. Employees have always been helpful and have given good advice. They haven't ever been pushy and knew exactly what I was looking for.

Lottielyn Schwenke Orlando, FL

I have super sensitive skin and M.A.C foundation is the only thing that doesn't clump on my skin or irritate it. My other favorite product is their primer sprays, refreshes and is an easy staple in my beauty routine. I also love that you can recycle their products because I run through eye liner like crazy!

Taylor Larson

I have had good experiences with M.A.C. makeup stores but I a lot of the time their products are out of stock.

Lindsay Fritts San Diego, CA

I love Mac. They have great make up, that last for years, and I always feel like the people that work there really know what they are doing. I LOVE that their make up appointments are buy $50 worth of product, get your make up done free- I don't feel like I spent a ton of money on a make up appointment because I get product out of it. I only go here for my make up appointments!

Nazjah Yates Jacksonville, FL

The customer service is amazing. The freelance artists are dedicated to helping each customer leave feeling welcome and confident with their purchase.

Lindsey Newman American Fork, UT

I love MAC makeup. Specifically the black track eyeliner and brush. The foundations I feel are a little heavy but the eye makeup is all so beautiful! The eyeshadow palats are stunning and it stays put.

Kelsey Provo, UT

MAC makeup is some of the best makeup I have ever used. I only ever use MAC eyeshadow because its quality is unmatched. It is pricey but it lasts a long time and it worth the purchase.

Kate Lillywhite American Fork, UT

Lovely high-end products! Feel like a celebrity when you apply these to your face. Weightless and full coverage...whatever look you are after they have a product to make you feel like a star!

Dayna Salt Lake City, UT

M.A.C. Has the best makeup. So many good colors to choose from. They have great costumer service and super high quality makeup. And it seems to last forever so it worth the cost.

Jodianna Maitland, FL

I like that they give samples to color match!

Kathie Bowman Lakeside, CA

I have used MAC for foundation. they have so many different shades of makeup. with being fair skinned they make it easy to find something that matches. Theres always someone there to help with any questions you have and always very welcoming

Anne Marie Milne Layton, UT

M.A.C. is an awesome makeup store. I have gone in multiple times not knowing what kind of makeup to get and they have given me a free demo and done my makeup multiple times to help me figure out what I wanted. They are so kind and they have amazing makeup!

Amanda Fairbanks Payson, UT

Love MAC- the people working there know their stuff and are patient when you need help! Also great selection of colors!

Marniwho ,

I love MAC! But most of all I love their customer service. I have gone in person and ordered online. They know their stuff!

Mason Allen Provo, UT

M.A.C. is high quality and their products last and are great. I don't feel pressure to buy things when I go into the store even though the workers help me out.

Jennifer Ashby Lehi, UT

I love Mac makeup. My favorite product is the foundation. It blends in and looks natural. They sometimes have deals and send samples.

Johnson Smithfield, UT

M.A.C. is my favorite make up line. Their creamy eyeliner is the best. I really like how easy it is to sharpen without wasting a lot of product.

Connie Mayer South Jordan, UT

M.A.C. has some of my favorite products. They prices are good too. They have very helpful personnel that help you choose and try out makeup. Their advice is really helpful.

Tiauna Anderson Salt Lake City, UT

I recently bought a new eyeshadow pallet from the MAC store in my local mall and the team members were so great to work with. They helped me find the right colors to compliment my eyes. I definitely recommend!

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

I love to visit the M.A.C. counter at my local department store. I love the unique, vibrant lipstick and eye shadow choices. M.A.C. also make one of my favorite foundations.

Karen Nelson Alpine, UT

Mac Products are awesome and their stores are beautiful. The people who work there are completely helpful and professional. I like that you can find these products almost anywhere. They are an all time favorite.

Brette Draper, UT

Mac has the best quality makeup I have ever tried! Artist that work there are more than willing to help teach you how to properly apply anything! This make up will stay on all day, it’s amazing!

Teresa N. Abston Conway, SC

Love it. A little expensive. But I have been using it, for years.

Emma Fairbanks Payson, UT

My very favorite eye shadow is from Mac, it stays on all day and can withstand my crazy plans!

Lisa Schofield Salt Lake City, UT

I do love their lip stick so much. There are so many shades and colors/styles to choose from. However it is quite pricey!

Jazmin Redmond, WA

I’ve always found what I wanted and needed from this store. Products are ok, a little overpriced compared to their competitors

Emily Larsen Lindon, UT

I love how my makeup stays on all day even while wearing a mask. What great coverage and value for the money.

Cade Boudreaux , FL

MAC is an alright store. It’s makeup catalog is massive but very confusing if you can’t talk to a worker. I tried getting my girlfriend some lipstick and was confused as it took me a while to get a worker to help.

Jamie Neider Kaysville, UT

I love MAC. Recently got the paint pot in Painterly and can't believe how well it works. Love the quality of their products.

Madi Thompson Ogden, UT

I haven't had the best experiences at the MAC counters. Their customer service lacks quite a bit. A lot of the employees that I've met haven't been the friendliest. Their product is good but the service isn't that spectacular.

Lindsey American Fork, UT

Mac has very high quality products, but I don't think they're worth it for the money. If you're passionate about makeup, then you might really enjoy their products.

Mallory Evans Provo, UT

M.A.C. has great products for an affordable price. I have used many of their products over the years, and I continue going back for more. I recommend their BB cream :)