L'Oreal Logo

6.8

LAST UPDATED: July 26th, 2021
The L'Oréal Group is a French makeup and beauty company headquartered in Clichy, Hauts-de-Seine. It is the world's largest cosmetics company and offers makeup, hair color, skincare, sun protection, perfume and more. The company was founded in 1909 by a French chemist and was originally called Auréale before becoming known as L'Oréal. L'Oréal has a team of nearly 2,000 chemists and is active in the dermatology, toxicology, tissue engineering and biopharmaceutical research fields. L'Oréal USA is headquartered in New York City.

ULTA Logo
#1 ULTA chevron_right
Sephora Logo
#2 Sephora chevron_right
Thrive Causemetics Logo
#3 Thrive Causemetics chevron_right
2.7

The Good

• Wide Variety of Products
  • Personalized Product Suggestions
  • Rewards Program
While L'Oréal Paris offers a wide variety of products in the following categories: makeup, hair, skincare, brands and Latina. L'Oréal is one of the few cosmetic companies that feature a category exclusively for Latina customers. On the website, each of the product categories is divided into multiple subcategories to make online search easier. Users can pick their favorite looks in the "Love it? Heart It." section of the homepage to get personalized product suggestions. There are also advice articles, behind-the-scenes features, tutorials and reviews from other online users available in the Latest Picks For You section. L'Oréal offers two different mobile apps that are available for download in the US: Makeup Genius and Hair Genius. With the makeup app, users can digitally apply L'Oréal makeup to an image of themselves to test out different products before purchasing. L'Oréal offers the Gold Rewards Program, which gives one free hair color product to customers when they purchase any five L'Oréal Paris hair color products. Customers just have to enter the code found on each box prior to coloring, and it will count toward their reward. Customers can also access additional perks by creating an online L'Oréal account: L'Oréal members have access to inspiration boards and tools compiled just for them, customized product suggestions, the ability to save favorite products and promotional offers on their favorite products. Both the Gold Rewards Program and the L'Oréal account are free.

The Bad

• Lacking Shipping Information
  • No Return Policy
  • Customer Service
L'Oréal does not offer any information about shipping rates and times on the website, nor were we able to locate a free shipping offer. L'Oréal is the only makeup store we reviewed that doesn't list shipping information on the site. If L'Oréal doesn't have a free shipping offer, it would also be the only makeup store we reviewed to not have one. The lack of shipping information may make it difficult for customers to know how much they should expect to pay, as well as when they can expect to receive their purchase. L'Oréal also doesn't feature a return policy on the website. Again, L'Oréal is the only makeup store we reviewed that doesn't list this information. This may create extra time and hassle for customers who want to find out if they can return products that they're unhappy with. There are 800-numbers listed on the L'Oréal site, however these phone lines are meant for questions about makeup, skincare and hair - not customer service issues. L'Oréal is the only makeup store we reviewed that doesn't offer a direct customer service phone number or email.

The Bottom Line

L'Oréal is an established brand in the makeup industry and can be found worldwide. In addition, the prices are reasonable and the selection is ample. However, the website's lack of shipping information, return information and customer service access may cause some frustration and confusion for online shoppers.

Anne Sainsbury Orem, UT

I have purchased L'Oreal products from a number of different stores and loved them. In particular I am a fan of their mascara. Their product design and packaging are great and hold up until I have finished the product. I also have never struggled with L'Oreal products drying up.

Megan Milke Laurel, MD

L'Oreal is a very trustworthy company in my mind. They always make their products very affordable but also very high quality. Although, I am disappointed because I have recently been having a hard time finding one of their frizz oils in store and am worried they stopped selling it.

hminfo Olney, MD

I love L'Oreal products for the price point and quality. My latest favorite is a mascara that doesn't smudge and is very moisturizing.

Brooklyn Bishop Smithfield, UT

I got the telescopic mascara and it is by far the best mascara I have ever used. It doesn’t get clumpy and really lengthens my stubby eyelashes. Definitely would recommend to everyone!

Lex Midway, UT

Love this makeup store, got there all the time, their products are good depending on the item so just check reviews, and the staff was very polite and helpful when I needed them!

Crystal Logan, UT

I noticed a friends eyelashes and was certain they were fake. She told me they were not but that she used L'oreal double extend mascara. I tried it and love it. I goes on easily and does not feel heavy like some fiber mascaras I have used

Connie Mayer South Jordan, UT

I buy everything from L'Oreal. I love their lipstick, foundation, lipliner, and mascara. They also have a great hair color. I buy all those things often because I love the quality.

Gracie Cole Salt Lake City, UT

I just bought a new mascara double extend from L’Oreal and I love it. It adds so much length and color to my lashes and I’ve received so many compliments! It makes me feel confident and it’s so easy to put on and take off

Taylor Larson Pho Thale, 66

I love how the brand, L'Oreal, focuses on anti-aging. I enjoy shopping from this company.

stacey kimmel Los Angeles, CA

the store has a bunch of budget items which aren't much wors than the luxury ones, i definitely recommend this to people on a budget!

Larson Riverton, UT

L'Oreal is a great makeup brand. We recently purchased some L'Oreal makeup and it was very good quality, and well priced. I recommend get L'Oreal makeup.

Heather Milke Olney, MD

My new favorite mascara is from L'Oreal. It is very moisturizing and doesn't smudge. It is very good quality.

H Moore Lehi, UT

Loreal is a nice brand of makeup, and I use their eyeshadows and eyeliners. I also like their day cream and night cream. Their eye cream is the best that I've found.

Syd13 Washington, UT

L’Oreal has THE best mascara ever! Their lash paradise mascara is the best mascara I have tried!

mallory p. Jackson, MS

i love their products! i use a lot of L’Oreal hair products and their telescopic mascara is soooo good!

Sadie Scoville Pleasant Grove, UT

Their mascara makes my eyelashes look super natural and not caked, and clumpy.