DesignCrowd Logo

DesignCrowd

9.4

DesignCrowd is an online marketplace that provides print and graphic design services, website work, logo designs, and more. The company provides access to freelance designers worldwide so that clients can find the very best talent for their project and choose from numerous contributions in a variety of styles.

Business owners and other logo seekers can hold a design competition which allow designers to submit entries; this is the growing trend of crowdsourced graphic design. Or, clients can choose to work with one designer if preferred.

This unique site offers design pros a platform to showcase their skills, make contacts, and build their portfolios. Freelance designers are free to choose which project proposals they’d like to take on.

The average project runs around $150 and generally results in over 50 design concepts to choose from within 10 days or less.

DesignCrowd Service Cost Notes
Client Contest Post Up to $129 Nonrefundable
Client Transaction  4% commission Nonrefundable
Client Project

$99–$1100 plus 20% commission

Refundable unless you've committed to fund your project
Client Project Upgrade Varies Nonrefundable
Designer Account Registration  Free No membership dues
Designer Contest Reward 15% commission Includes place payments, participation payments, paid invites, and tips

Keep reading for pros and cons of using this logo design service, plus DesignCrowd reviews from consumers.

The Good

• Designers
  • Customer Service
  • Turnaround Time
  • Pricing
  • Additional Services
  • Crowdsourcing Rules

Designers

Sydney-based DesignCrowd was established in 2008. Over the years, the company has grown to have over 700,000 freelancers. DesignCrowd allows people from a variety of backgrounds to find work on its site and has helped prestigious customers from all around the world with custom design projects.

Having a worldwide marketplace of professional designers makes it possible to select from more than just a team of in-house designers with limited vision regarding design concepts or only the experiences of a specific small company. It makes a lot of sense to draw from the well of thousands of creatives rather than hire a designer that may or may not produce the style or quality of work you're seeking.

Furthermore, the site allows users to complete all transactions in an orderly and fair manner by hosting payment, job assignment, etc. This helps make freelancing job opportunities easy by cutting down on the hassle of organizing the various aspects of solo freelance work.

DesignCrowd provides a money-back guarantee and is available to be contacted directly should any client have problems communicating with their chosen designer. Many other companies that crowdsource designers are unable to help you if there is a problem, but DesignCrowd does its best to resolve issues involving designer quality and service.

The money-back-guarantee is valid within 30 days of posting a project and before any files have been provided to the client, except in cases where the client guaranteed their project.

The online help center covers topics relating to troubleshooting, copyright, fees and costs, designer portfolios, designer payments, submitting designs, and One Designer Services. You can also contact customer service directly with specific questions and concerns.

Turnaround Time

Turnaround times with DesignCrowd are quite short. When starting a contest, you can choose a 3–, 5–, or 10–day deadline for your design contest and can expect to receive your first designs within 24 hours of creating your project.

Pricing

So how much does DesignCrowd cost? For business owners or other logo seekers running a contest, custom design package options start at $99 and go up from there. Common listings are $150 and run up to $1100.

In addition to the design cost, there is a posting fee of $29 to $129 depending on your selected package. You can also pay more to keep your listing private or to add a featured upgrade. These additional fees are non-refundable unless you do not receive any designs, in which case all fees are refunded.

For designers, DesignCrowd takes a 15% commission on all payments received, which can include place payments, participation payments, paid invites, and tips.

To offset design posting fees and design project fees, DesignCrowd offers a weekly discount code that will save you up to $100 on a project. The website has a full inventory of coupon codes for near-unlimited discounts.

Additional Services

DesignCrowd is a one-stop-shop for small business graphic design needs as it has plenty to offer in addition to logo design services. Customizable packages can include the following:

• Social Media design
  • Postcard design
  • Business card design
  • Graphic design

Crowdsourcing Rules

Online crowdsourcing can be messy, but DesignCrowd has implemented some rules that increase competition and improve quality.

Openly-available payment information incentivizes designers to contribute to contests that offer participation payments and placement payments for first, second, and third place. Contest entrants can't see other submissions, so they won't copy or modify other ideas.

DesignCrowd allows designers to see if a client has guaranteed payment for a contest. This means more users will submit to this contest because they know at least one entrant will be awarded.

Entrants are also awarded more from a DesignCrowd logo design contest than they would be on some other freelancing platforms. DesignCrowd takes 15% of a package price along with some posting and payment fees, whereas other crowdsourcing platforms can take up to 50% of the package. This encourages good designers to flock to DesignCrowd.

The Bad

• Outside Designers
  • Fees
  • Ethical Concerns of Crowdsourcing
  • Refund Complaints

Outside Designers

It can be a little overwhelming to have so many designers to choose from and to try to narrow it down based on prices, presentation, and time constraints. With so many designers as part of the group, DesignCrowd is not able to personally interview each designer and make sure that they are professional and courteous throughout the design process. Additionally, their prices aren't set, and they do not disclose how many concepts you'll be getting. Each designer's work experience, price, and quality varies greatly.

Fees

Unlike other freelance logo maker services, DesignCrowd charges a fee on the incoming payments of freelance designers. While this can be resolved by designers charging a higher price for one-on-one services, creatives should be aware of this policy before beginning work on any DesignCrowd project. Additionally, DesignCrowd encourages competition for custom design projects via a design contest, instead of merely assigning one designer per project.

Ethical Concerns of Crowdsourcing

Crowdsourcing platforms are becoming increasingly popular in the gig economy, and several logo design sites use competitions that will receive hundreds of submissions to create the best logo for a client. For most crowdsourcing sites, only the competition winner is compensated.

While this can be great for the customer and for small businesses on a tight budget, many graphic designers complain that this undervalues a specialist's experience and labor. For this reason, some designers are against design contests and recommend that clients work directly with one designer or one team instead.

With DesignCrowd, customers can offer designers a Participation Payment if they want a specific creative to submit to the project, or the Participation Payment can be paid out to designers as a bonus after a project is complete. The compensation is typically $10 to $20 and is determined by DesignCrowd based on the size of a submitted budget. Keep in mind that this compensation is based on client discretion, might not match designers' effort in crafting a submission, and is still a small sum for participants who do not win.

Additionally, DesignCrowd does offer the option to work directly with a designer.

Refund Complaints

Some customers note in negative reviews that the refund isn't a 100% money-back refund as they had assumed. DesignCrowd may retain posting fees and other fees related to a design package; this is common in the industry. Be sure to read the fine print related to the refund policy and ensure that you understand it.

The Bottom Line

The verdict? DesignCrowd's services can jumpstart your path to improved brand recognition with a variety of crowdsourced design ideas for any budget over $100.

DesignCrowd's power is in its niche. It's one of the biggest sites that is attempting to connect designers and clients in an online, freelance-style marketplace. This is no small feat, but DesignCrowd has managed to build a website platform that is organized in a clear and user-friendly manner.

DesignCrowd is an established source for any graphic design work or advertising designs. Notable services include t-shirt design, brochure design, business cards, letterhead, banners, custom logo designs, car decals, and so on.

This is a company that has been in business for a decent amount of time and has provided graphic design services to thousands of clients all over the world. Though DesignCrowd may not be as heavily involved in the design process of each creative project as a design agency due to its crowdsourcing business model, the company has customer service representatives available via phone or email for complaints, concerns, or questions to ensure that everything goes smoothly.

Having so many professional designers on hand makes it easier to produce ideal results; clients just need to provide clear expectations and instructions for their creative project.

With crowdsourced graphic design, a freelancer has the potential to earn money, find unlimited clients, and build a career. But if design contest sites get over-saturated with freelancers, earning potential is diminished and it may no longer be worth their time to participate. DesignCrowd offsets this concern in part by offering contest hosts the option to provide tips, participation payments, and placement payments in addition to rewarding the winning design — all within a reasonable price range.

The fact that DesignCrowd offers these options demonstrates that it values both the integrity of the work of designers and the quality and pricing that consumers demand.

3.6

Bruno Belgrade, 00

They steal money from designers - all the time! They send job invitations for a fee of $ 20 regardless of the outcome of the competition, but in fact you will never get that money. You're not even sure when you work on 1-on-1 project, and then you won't get paid if the client doesn't approve, even though they've been using your design for a year. The platform has many drawbacks. Terrible service!

Richard Barber

I'm a repeat customer. This is the second time I've used DesignCrowd and I love it. The only problem is that the quality of the submissions is so high that it's actually really difficult to make a final decision! I wouldn't go anywhere else for my graphic design work. Yes, there's a bit of a cost involved, but good work isn't cheap and cheap work isn't good. DesignCrowd are my one-stop-shop for all graphic art work. It's nice to know that 24/7 the project is being attended to, submitted to, amended and people from - literally - all over the world are working on my design throughout the duration of the competition.

Doug Overland Park, KS

I had NO idea how to go about creating a logo for my new business, and found DesignCrowd online. What a GREAT idea and process. I picked a "2 Day" design window and ended up with well over 70 original designs, and then, with some feedback, almost 140 total (included variations of the same design). The process is excellent, the money back guarantee is reassuring (though once I got my first round of submitted designs, I KNEW I was easily going to get my money's worth). If I ever have a need for creative design in the future, I will, hands down, come back to DesignCrowd. Honestly, could not be happier, and my expectations were exceeded by a mile.

Erika Livermore, CA

My experience with DesignCrowd was stellar. I received over 100 great designs over the course of 2 days. The hardest part was deciding which one to choose. I prefer this platform to working with an individual because you get to see several approaches to your project. I was really satisfied with the results. It was easy to input all info and I got the results I wanted.

Chris Chadwick

We wanted a new logo to re-launch an existing estate agency. As you do, we looked to the internet for inspiration and found a great logo by a Design Crowd designer. Not wanting to step on any toes, we approached this one designed and am thrilled at how the experience was managed, the interaction from Design Crowd and the designer. I will definitely recommend and would be very happy to use them again in the future.

Logistics Company Grove City, OH

I recommend using DesignCrowd. Value and product is excellent. I selected the 2nd design tier package, committed to pay and received many designs to choose from and I am pleased with the end result. It is also easy to manage. I was able provide feedback and request improvements as the project went along. I would caution buyers not to highly rate or provide feedback on designs that you do not care for or try to provide feedback to all of the submissions... doing this may result in pressure to award participation prizes. I'm a GenX and in my opinion a 1st prize winner should take all. 2nd or 3rd if you like but certainly not willing to award for participation designs. Customer service is quick to respond.

Kacey James Cornwall On Hudson, NY

I had a great experience with Designcrowd. I used the Single designer option and the artist that was assigned to me, Ecorokerz, couldn't have done a better job. They took everything in my description and ran with it. I was in constant contact with them and it turned out great. The only draw back is that you have to wait a day or so for feedback due to the designers being over seas, but I took the 10 day campaign and it worked out just fine.

Anonomous Biz Owner

I really enjoyed this service! I submitted a very detailed Logo contest and a cash prize of $500. I was OVERWHELMED with the submissions! Over 300 in 2 days and a total of 478. Every designer was available for communication and very responsive. The ONLY thing, I mean ONLY complaint I have is that I paid $150 for the "Top Designers" to get involved. Meaning you assure them a portion of that $150 to make a submission...HOWEVER, yu do NOT need to do that. IMO it's a waste of money! Those guys submitted halfa$$ designs and weren't any better than the ones who worked VERY VERY HARD for the prize without guaranteed "participation fees" Other than that...Supreme Service! Good Luck!

Pat Ayers

DesignCrowd's artists provided me several logo designs. Each design was unique and well thought out. When I decided on a design, I was able to work easily with the artist to make minor changes. The process was smooth and easy for me. The design is wonderful. Great value for a good price. I have gotten many compliments on the logo from graphic artists who just love it! I will turn to DesignCrowd in the future.

Todd Schwartz Batavia, OH

Design Crowd offers an excellent service! It is easy to get a project started. I was surprised at how fast designs were submitted, and even more so by the quality of the submissions. It was easy to communicate with designers to make change requests and provide feedback. All in all it was a very pleasant experience and I'm very pleased with the results.

Ajoa Aboagyewa

These people are on top of the game. The response is instantaneous in every aspect of dealing with DesignCrowd. The calming answers from the reps are incredible. I consider them as well trained.The designer are very diligent with their works and on top of the game. Everyone needs a platform to perform and brings the best outcome. I appreciated all those who responded for Triple P Medical Solutions INC.

Steve Butler

Starting my own business for the first time I wanted to make sure my logo would make a statement. Being the first time on the site I had no idea what to expect. I selected the logo design contest and off it went. Within a couple of days I had over 70 different designs from 20+ designers from all over the world. Very cool! Once I narrowed my choice down to the winning design, the designer was very accommodating with a few more change requests. The only negative thing I can say about the experience was that it was hard to navigate and keep all the designs organized. On the submitted designs page, may I suggest that you chronologically put the designs in order. I would get a message from my email saying that new designs were submitted but once on the page I had to roam to find the word, "new". I wish you all the best. I will definitely refer you to friends and use your service again. Cheers!! Red's Cabana

Judy Davidson

My recent project with Design Crowd was a total pleasure - we got so many awesome designs it was really hard to choose.For this project we were quitre specific about what we wanted but I think the service would work really well if I needed a design and wasn't quite sure which direction to go in, because so many people put so much effort into thinking about possible ideas and designs. I'm a big fan now - I'll be using design crowd lots. Judy

Mike Shereck Naperville, IL

I worked on a design project with Design Crowd, and i was amazed how great it was. It was a low cost budget, for a start up, and I was amazed by both the quality and the responsiveness. We had a difficult time choosing. In the end they gave us a design that was exactly what we requested in our narrative. I don't think you can ask for more than that. Thank you

Elizabeth M Souder Overland Park, KS

Access to a great selection of independent creative folks who all submitted great ideas! Flexibility was key for me since this was a peripheral project that I was trying to fit into a very busy life. Vendor applicants were all responsive and even gave me extra time and service at a few points along the way, which garnered loyalty from me to the vendors and I will use them again.

Amy Warrenton, VA

At first we were skeptical and realized that you need to be patient and give you project the full 9-10 days to allow the real talent to role in. We used a freelance designer for our first log and were never 100% happy, but we settled. Not this time! Customer service was top notch, very response and attentive and the options we were given were endless. The designer we finalized with was so amazing we immediately gave him our next project! Thank you so much for such an amazing company!

David Linder

I've read some of these reviews and all I can think is wow! Have any of you hired a marketing firm or independent agent to create a logo/brand? it can cost thousands and you won't have a 100 samples to choose from. I found designcrowd to be just what I needed, fast affordable professional design service. If you come here thinking you'll receive the same level of service and quality as hiring a local firm will find themselves sorely mistaken. You get what you pay for. For just a little more than 200 dollars I have a very decent logo I can be proud of and down the road when business takes off I can always go to a local firm and spend a ton more. Also this a great place for young and new people to get their work out there and make a little money along the way. Nothing is perfect but for the cost it was just what I needed.

Chantal Crouch

I have seen all the negative reviews here but (for a change) I am not one of the unhappy customers. I am very happy with what was produced - I took the cheapest package as we're just starting out and a logo design is a luxury in our eyes since we don't have money to spend. We already had the design, we just needed it to be neatened up and made more professional - which is exactly what they did. Thank you - we are happy with the result and I hope the company starts getting better reviews if they keep up the good quality.

Keegan Couillard Minneapolis, MN

I have used design crowd for a postcard advertising campaign and most recently for a new logo for our business. We've gotten very high quality work. While I usually don't write online reviews I decided to after experiencing great customer service. I had started a logo project but had made a mistake and entered into an option where only a few designers could submit work. Design Crowd was very responsive to emails and helped me get this fixed, even giving me a $50 discount code to help with the transition into the larger project.

PFMolloy

Have used them three times, two fantastic successes and one so-so, but the company itself has always been responsive to the max and I have no hesitation recommending the platform. I will certainly use them again when my need arises.

Uzziah Thomas

First time using designcrowd, and I must say it was not easy to pick the best one out of so many talented graphic designers with unique designs. Eventually do you find what you are looking for. I will be back for more projects.

Karen

It was an easy seamless process to launch my logo design project. I was pleasantly surprised by how many great designs i received (>250). The difficult part was choosing just one. DesignCrowd's telephone support service was good too. Karen

Helen Tye-Talkin

Design Crowd offers an amazing product. I received over 100 excellent logo designs from which to choose and was able to correspond with my chosen designer to tweak it until it was perfect for me. I'm very happy with Design Crowd.

Scott West Newbury, MA

Our experience with the Design Crowd customer service team was extraordinary. Additionally, our experience with the designer; Arman at GliderGraphx was fantastic. I highly recommend GliderGraphx. Thanks from all of us at MetTrimMD. Scott

Abraham Haouchar

Design Crown truly lived up to it's word. over 100 designers submitted a design and actually ONE stood out from the crowd. It was actually what we were after all along. We're incredibly happy and the support staff were fantastic. Even the 1800 number to call them were trained!

John Stewart

The designers @ DesignCrowd were awesome!!! My designer was a true professional and worked with me every step of the way to ensure I was satisfied with the final result. I'll definitely be using DesignCrowd for future projects.

Ashley

This was very helpful for the start of our business. No local companies were providing us the look of a logo we wanted and this program let us reach so many people and find the look we were wanting. I am very happy with the out come and would recommend it to any business!

norbert

We received exactly the logo we wanted within 10 days at a fraction of the price ONE designer would have charged us. We had 106 logos to choose from. I think most important is to give all designers feedback on their submissions so they can improve. And you have to be honest to reject those that don't fit the expectations. All in all a good experience, and we will use DesignCrowd again.

Justin Stouder Saint Peters, MO

So far the process of choosing a logo has turned out to be quite fun! Most designers have been open to doing revisions and trying to capture your ideal design. We selected a winner for out company logo. Very happy with the result.

Kerri Tutton

Great idea for a business, thank you for making the process and the user interface so easy. My Graphic Designer was a pleasure to work with, fast and I ended up with a fantastic product at the end of it. Thank you very much.

Mel White

Awesome service. Really brilliant concept. Was an easy process from start to finish. I got loads of designs to choose from and when I did pick the winner I was able to suggest many changes and they were done quickly and without complaint. Well done Dedign Crowd!

Gary Calloway

Overall great experience! Very easy from start to finish. Our first project was a logo design contest. We received many quality designs. After picking a winner we worked with the designer directly to design our business card. Great service!! Would recommend to anyone considering hiring a graphic designer.

Julian Quinones

I am happy with the product I purchased. Also, I accidentally purchased the a logo project twice and I was able to talk to someone on the phone almost immediately and they didn't hesitate to refund my money. Great experience.

Lucy Harendza San Jose, CA

I am in the business of design but can't afford the designers I work with in the U.S. I needed a logo for my tennis team and gambled on getting something good. I ordered the one design/3 revisions package and within 2 days I not only got good, I got fabulous! Simple yet elegant. Sunpris was the designer for this job. I'll use this service again.

Deb Mason

Within hours I had one designer putting in several submissions, lots of variations to choose from and exactly what I had asked for in my brief. Within 24 hours I was able to choose my favourite design. I am very happy with the design that Sandaruwan came up with.

Jozef Riskalcik

The Design Crowd worked perfectly. I received many design ideas for the logo design and one I decided for was actually perfect for my purpose. I say that is a great place for collecting many ideas and choose yours best option. The support is pretty fast with answering questions.

Sherry

The artist that I worked with hit the logo design within 3 iterations. I love it. This gives me a solid foundation to launch my new company. I feel professional and savvy with my new business card and logo design. Thank you DesignCrowd!

John Betancourt

Great platform to get design done, you have a great pool talent of 550k plus of designers available worldwide who are ready to submit their ideas around the clock. I like the fact that while I sleep I am obtaining designs from people across the globe. In this instance my logo design winner is from the Philippines.

K P Shea Mercer Island, WA

DesignCrowd has been awesome to work with, I have always come out with a logo, ad, business card that works for me and my business. Very happy with the level of customer service, fast response and the talent of all the designers. Highly recommend!

Rey Kailua, HI

Though DesignCrowd is the first "logo" company I've worked with, you have no idea how convenient DesignCrowd made it for me. Awesome!!! I'd recommend DesignCrowd to evreyowner--especially those who have little to no time during working hours. DesignCrowd makes it easy!

Eric Lim

I pitched my designs on Designcrowd. Let me speak from designers point of view. The money is there although not much, but usually clients just want free ideas, which they can claim they don't like the designs (who's to say otherwise?), or take the designs to their real physical designers to copy, or chose a winning design so bad that it can make you puke your last year's thanksgiving dinner. I've also had a nasty client who made me waited for months and not answering Skype calls and not responding to the messaging system in DC before EVENTUALLY telling me he wants the job done in next few hours (i guess that's when DC prompted him to close and select). He even had the cheek to tell me if I don't deliver, he will award it to others. Guess what? I said, "go ahead". First off, I'm not being paid a single cent to deliver work until it's closed and winner chosen. I have submitted a draft and I'll be happy to finalise and perfect it after it has closed and winner chosen. That is the security we are looking for. Clients can't expect designers to deliver and make amendments without knowing if they'll ever even awarded and chosen. I stood by my design and decided not to continue for this job, hence I withdrew my design. For that, he called me rude. he could award it to others and get his designs from them if he claimed he had others. To start off with, we designers don't sit around and wait for offers. We pitch, design and move on if not selected. We don't make money out of DC, merely filling up our time doing things we love. If there is something I learned about being a designer is not to sell ourselves short. Everyone has their worth and a pricetag (no doubt the prize money in DC is really pathetic), so have I. Talent doesn't come cheap. We invested money into our computers and softwares, time and effort into your work, and all we ask for is some respect. Respect our work, respect our time and effort and we will do your work well. Just because you're paying at the very end doesn't give you the right to be nasty. We don't deal with rude and nasty clients. After all, we can always withdraw our designs and you end up with nothing. Whether you get your refund or not or in whatever form is none of our concerns. Will I still design on DC? Sure I will. You want the design? Close the deal and award it to the designer. Don't leave it open. And oh, when you send invite to designers, check that "payment guarantee"! Nothing turns us off more than seeing "payment not guaranteed". That is akin to asking for free designs. Participation payment is crap. Don't assume we'll spend days and hours at ends to get that few dollars.

Lisa Dennis Katy, TX

The designer was extremely helpful, and when I wanted changes done, she did them within the hour and was able to make my decision very quickly. I get compliments on our logo all the time

DUCATUM LLC

I wanted a very specific ambience set by my logo. Loved working with DesignCrowd because I had talented designers from around the globe working on my design. Superior product at an incredible price. Thanks.

Matthijs

Great service. within 1 day already 45 design in my account. The only 'problem' was that is was hard to choose one winner. So many creative designs. And also the communication with all the designers went very quick and easy.

Carlos Hernandez

Service was great. Received way more logos than expected (over 150), all great designs and very creative. The first designs came in only hours. The hard part was making the decision on which one to pick.

Eesha

I love that one website provides so many options all in one place with great ways to manage the designs and also provide feedback. I have used this service a couple of times already and I am sure I will be using it again!

Brian Jones

With a business that has big money you are a dream because the sky is the limit as far as options to have any products. With the best staff to help 24 hours for business that works 24 hours

PAUL DEFTEREOS

AMAZING SERVICE !!! EASY TOO USE !! DIDNT HAVE A CLUE ABOUT DESIGNING UNTIL DESIGNCROWD GUIDED ME THROUGH EVERYTHING !! WILL BE USING DESIGN CROWD AGAIN !!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Brat Duvall

I've had problems with graphic designers. They have taken forever to do a job. Some took my money and disappeared. Here the design was quick and no worries about getting the design in the proper format. I plan to use again.

Tracy

I am absolutely impressed with the process of DesignCrowd as well as the designer I worked with. She was creative, listened to my feedback and was responsive. I would request her for my next project.