Rosetta Stone Logo
LAST UPDATED: December 7th, 2021

Founded in 1992, Rosetta Stone is a language learning software company offering instruction in more than 25 languages. This is one of the most famous language learning programs in the United States. Many people will recognize its marketing within the last 20 years. It was even sold in mall kiosks.

Rosetta Stone's learning method is based on interactive language immersion, rather than an English explanation of each new word or concept. This immersion style program introduces new information through sights and sounds, phrases, and in-context conversations. The program uses a lot of image association and deductive reasoning to teach you how to react to grammatical patterns. It uses instant feedback (right/wrong), speech recognition, and repetition to teach languages. For a price, you can add online tutoring in a webinar with a live instructor.

While you used to be able to buy Rosetta Stone via CD-Rom sets, this option has been phased out for a more subscription-based system, but may be available for some languages. Subscribing gets you access via your web browser, as well as mobile apps, which offer the option to download lessons for times when you don’t have internet access. However, you subscribe to just one language. Adding a language to your account requires a fee.

If interested, you can start a free trial with three full days of access, without even entering a credit card. There are several membership options:

• 3-Month — $79
  • 6-Month — $119
  • 12-Month — $179
  • 24-Month — $249

Rosetta Stone also offers special options for businesses and schools.

Kaela Tallahassee, FL

Rosetta Stone is a bit advanced compared to other language sites but it is useful because it teaches grammar and syntax that is more common with how those language speakers actually speak.

1 day ago

Nazjah Yates Tallahassee, FL

I bought a rosetta stone to help me learn Spanish. I was too nervous to try to take in-person classes so I tried rosetta stone online and it is so user-friendly. It allows you to practice verbs and learn vocabulary and it is not boring. It makes learning a new language which can be pretty difficult, fun!

Erna Valcin Tallahassee, FL

This was a great learning tool for my mother when she was learning English after arriving from her native land. It helped me guide her through that process to now a fluent woman I know.

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

I have used Rosetta stone to further my education in Spanish. Although I come from Hispanic heritage, I liked how Rosetta stone uses different techniques for learning than some other programs.

Brooklyn Jensen Provo, UT

This app asks you what your language abilities are (Beginner, intermediate, proficient) and what your goal is. It then matches you to lessons according to your skill. The lessons I did are essentially matching sentences to pictures by reading and listening to the sentences. It is a good way to practice understanding a language while listening or reading.

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

Amazing service to learn another language. However, its interface feels outdated and they are very expensive.

Julia UP Southbury, CT

In my experience, subscription does not sync app across devices as is advertised! I have submitted a complaint to Rosetta Stone. Rosetta Stone advertised that it can be synced across devices for on the go learning. I am not able to access the app on my phone or kindle.

Traci Nakhon Sawan, 60

I love Rosetta Stone. I got their year plan and have been using it for about 2 years now. I feel pretty confident in my Spanish and look forward to my next language. The layout of the site is easy to operate and the lessons are simple yet challenging enough to grasp the concepts.

Madisen Cluff CA

During this past summer in quarantine I decided to learn a new language. I had heard about Rosetta Stone from a friend and decided to give it a try. The way they teach you the language was actually very easy and effective. I made it a goal at the beginning to learn at least the basics of Spanish and I am happy to say that I am now fluent.

taismine joseph Tallahassee, FL

Helped a lot me when learning my second language. Very explanatory and detailed website.

Mark Benson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I used Rosetta Stone for awhile to try and learn Spanish. The site was easy to operate and very easy to understand. I plan on getting it again to learn a third language.

Hannah Barth Tallahassee, FL

Rosetta Stone made learning French easy and fun.

jaci finch Corpus Christi, TX

I am currently using Rosetta Stone to learn Italian. To give you an idea of how great it is: I took 5 years of Spanish in high school. With one year of consistent Rosetta Stone practice I can speak better Italian than I ever could Spanish.

Alejandro Perez Corpus Christi, TX

Best value for learning languages. While Duolingo disrupts your learning by making you wait for more coins, you can pay an upfront fee and be done with it. Much better paying a single fee than paying a subscription every month like literally every other service.

AF ,

I'm pretty new to Rosetta Stone, but what I've seen so far has been great. The visuals (pictures and graphics) are great and voice that you hear is nice. It's good to hear the proper way of saying something in that language. Right now I'm trying to learn Portuguese... I have a long way to go!

Steve Jones Riverton, UT

Rosetta Stone is a well designed program with short lessons. This great program focuses on integrating listening, reading, writing and speaking in the target language. I've really enjoyed the program and all I've learned to date!

Kathryn American Fork, UT

I have loved my Rosetta Stone courses. With consistent practice they are wonderful courses that help you gain a base, but can also increase fluency in a language. Tends to be more formal, but sometimes that is the best route when traveling.

Wow just what all that went into this program. Love it so much. I have purchased both the Spanish and Italian version. Even tried the tablet version that came as a free trial with my purchases for the first year. Cant speak fluently yet but my comprehension has improved significantly. Thank you Rosetta Stone.

Alexa Cooper Provo, UT

I liked it. As a kid it was hard to dive into the language by myself, but I still remember a lot of what I learned using it! Great for remembering language long term.

Mindy Smith Smithfield, UT

I have been really impressed with the costumer service at this company. We purchased this program for my mom to learn Spanish and she didn't love the idea of it all. We ended up canceling it but they were fantastic to work with us, knowing it was a gift!

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

I have used Rosetta Stone since the days when you needed to insert a CD to use it. I feel that Rosetta Stone has a great method in teaching people languages, however I feel that it has been taken over by free apps such as Duolingo.

Kogan Powell West Valley City, UT

While Rosetta Stone IS an incredibly efficient format for language learning, I feel like you NEED at least some supplementary instruction in your selected language to go along with it. The "immersion method" just goes too fast and you get lost easily if you don't have an outside source in your native tongue to practice and verify concepts with.

Juliann Mecham Managua, MN

I love Rosetta Stone! It really helps you learn and apply the new language you are striving to learn. I feel like this really helps you learn quickly and exceed in becoming bi-lingual

Mickey Mangum Long Beach, MS

I was gifted Rosetta Stone for Japanese for a planned trip to Japan. I found the cords to be quite good, well organized and easy to navigate. Like anything the key to success is persistence. The program itself is great but you have to do the repetition to learn.

Mark Katy, TX

Rosetta is the best language learning product on the market. The learning is intuitive, modular and entertaining. It’s great value for the money!

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

Worked really well for me, a little expensive, and kind of hard, but that's exactly what I was looking for. It's easy to go through the lessons and retain the new characters I have memorized.

Maverick Denhalter Salt Lake City, UT

This was a great purchase. They teach you so much better than a lot of other apps. They are a little pricey, but it’s worth it if you actually want to learn a language.

Jack Dean Norcross, GA

It helps you to learn a language or multiple. It makes it easy to pick up as long as you stay consistent. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to learn a language.

Austin Stelmach Boulder, CO

I first started using Rosetta Stone when I was 12 years old. It provided me with a strong foundation in Spanish and was an integral part of my journey to fluency.

Hailey Moody Austin, TX

With all of the online resources and applications for language learning that have come up through the years, Rosetta Stone does not offer enough of a difference to justify paying the amount listed for their courses. I have this for Russian and found Rosetta Stone to not be as engaging and I learned much more from other resources.

Cdavid , MO

I have used Rosetta Stone at work to learn Spanish. I was very easy to use, and learn a new language. They have multiple languages to choose from.

Shawn Cortes Salt Lake City, UT

I really enjoy using Rosetta Stone. My favorite feature is how it will listen to your pronunciation and grade you on it. Though this feature at times doesn’t work.

Randi Nelson San José, SJ

I think Rosetta Stone is fantastic, it really helps you develop your speech and progress in the language that you desire to learn.

JR Suguturaga Orem, UT

Rosetta is a well established company and provides a good, easy process to learn a new language. The program was simple and fun to participate and learn.

Bryndie Managua, MN

Super awesome way to learn another language. There’s a lot more “real life” practice which is nice and it prompts you to say things out loud which is very helpful.

Noah Talbot Provo, UT

I wish you could choose your pace. At the start I felt it was taking so long that I lost interest.

Tiauna Anderson Salt Lake City, UT

Rosetta Stone taught me to speak Spanish! It's user friendly, fun, and definitely works wonders. I highly recommend

Taylor Larson Bangkok, 10

This program really helped me feel comfortable speaking and practicing a new language.

Dre35 West Valley City, UT

Decent language learning program. A little pricey, and unorthodox instruction methods, but still educational.

Jon Robinson Riverton, UT

I bought this to help me refresh my Spanish. Pretty good product. Good way to get some basics.