Duolingo Logo
LAST UPDATED: September 9th, 2021

Founded in 2011, Duolingo is a language-learning platform available online or via mobile apps for Android, iOS, and Windows. It offers more than 30 language courses for English speakers, including High Valyrian and Klingon, for fantasy enthusiasts. In one account, users can work on multiple languages and keep track of progress.

Duolingo is the most popular app for learning languages and is the most downloaded app in the world in the education category. The Duolingo method focuses on bite-sized short, gamified lessons, with exercises that build and adapt to what you need extra help with. One of the company's main tenets is to make free educational opportunities, so Duolingo is free. However, there are in-app upgrades to add extras, work offline, or get rid of ads.

An initial placement test is offered, if you are a continuing learner, so you will have an easier time jumping right in. Additionally, the platform offers Duolingo for Schools (still free), so that teachers can implement Duo's platform to track students' practice and progress.

Melissa Castillo Baytown, TX

Duolingo is one of the best apps to learn a new language or practice up on your language skills if it's been a while. I use Duolingo when I'm preparing for a trip out of country and to keep up with the language skills I have in French and Spanish.

David Stickles West Jordan, UT

Awesome platform for learning a new language on your own time. Rewards you for keeping at a new skill and can get you the basics or fairly advanced depending on how far you use it.

Helena Danby Shelley, ID

Duolingo is such a fun way to learn a language! I have used it for Spanish and even though I haven't stuck with it for long, I can tell that I'm making progress! It's so exciting to see a visual representation of my efforts because it tracks every lesson that I complete!

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

i LOVE Duolingo! It is such an easy way to learn new languages. It is free, and being completely honest, it is so much fun! Not like taking a class in a school. So many different languages to learn, and it is done in such an easy way too.

Brooklyn Jensen Provo, UT

Duolingo provides a great way to study another language. You can use Duolingo for free; however, it also offers a paid option with additional benefits. One of my favorite things about the paid version of Duolingo is that it allows you to go back, see your mistakes, and try again so that you are really learning.

The Bean Spiller Provo, UT

The look and function of this app is great. It makes it really accessible and easy to learn new languages and over the years it's gotten even better. However, the language you do learn isn't the most useful and it's really more of a foot-in-door approach to start learning the language outside of Duolingo. Best for familiarity rather than practicality.

KimDugan Kailua, HI

Duolingo makes the initial stages of learning a language easy and far less intimidating than many other approaches. Using a visual approach much like a simplified RosettaStone vibe, you can easily jump into almost any language. The biggest drawback with this approach is, if you plan long-term studies in a language, this should really be more of a supplement. It teaches you in a way that is good for beginners, because it is simpler and less discouraging than sitting for hours learning conjugation and sentence structure, but those building blocks are what will lead you to fluency in more cases. Duolingo does a great job of stair-stepping you into different categories of words and phrases, but if you are not already linguistically-inclined, this probably shouldn't be your bread-and-butter. Regardless, the app is easy to use and it makes language-learning far more fun and easygoing than many other approaches. It is broken down nicely so you can do it a few minutes per day and not feel cut short.

Nyla C. Edison, NJ

Duolingo was a language platform I utilized in high school for an assignment. However, this platform has stuck with me to this day (I am a junior in college), because it has helped me grasp the Spanish language in different ways. It helped me speak Spanish (my second language) more fluently, and has allowed me to gain confidence in my Spanish speaking skills whenever I travel to Spanish-speaking countries, such as Honduras. Another great thing about Duolingo is that it can be accessed through a computer or a mobile device, and they even have an app that will send daily notifications to remind users to login and complete a daily activity.

Simone Harris Tallahassee, FL

This app is both engaging and informative. It makes learning languages accessible and includes relevant content for daily life. The notifications can be helpful to encourage consistency but can be overwhelming sometimes.

Becca Amiot Salem, VA

Duolingo is great for getting down the basics of a language. I've used it to learn some Italian and to review German and found it extremely helpful. It is designed in a way that makes learning more fun and less bland.

Morgan Tennant Idaho Falls, ID

Duolingo was great when I first started using it years ago, but now it’s changed and it’s not as helpful. Duolingo doesn’t teach the alphabet which makes learning a language very difficult. I find that duolingo is more work than it’s worth.

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

Annoying that it keeps sending me so many reminders, but good for beginners who have no idea what they're getting into. The programs are designed to be easy and teach a simple understanding of a language. I used this to learn Japanese but had to switch to a different program after the lessons started to get repetitive.

Kelly Stanley Orem, UT

Used duolingo as I was learning Spanish. It was pretty good for learning words, but the real learning happened as I spoke. It was just too easy to answer and then forget.

Erika Rosen Salt Lake City, UT

I love Duolingo. It is such a fun and easy platform to start learning languages. They help with basic vocabulary and the app is so easy to use and encourages you to keep trying!

Brenda Nakhon Sawan, 60

During quarantine this last year I wanted to do something fun and productive with my time. I decided to learn a new language and I used duolingo to do it. The set up of the app is fun and easy to figure out which helped me feel more motivated to learn.

Kay Tallahassee, FL

I have been using Duolingo for a few years now in an effort to learn Portuguese. I have found both the English->Portuguese and the Spanish->Portuguese programs useful, although the English program does have more features and lessons than the Spanish program. I recommend Duolingo to friends who are hoping to get started with a language--it certainly won't get you all the way there, but it has been a good place to start for me. I also really love that so many features are available with the free version, making language learning more accessible.

Madisen Cluff CA

I love learning languages. I made a goal this last year on 2020 to learn at least two languages in that one year time span. Unfortunately I did not learn to but I was able to become very confident in my ability to speak Spanish (my second language). Duolingo provided an easy and understandable way for me to learn words, phrases, and sentences at my own pace.

TeaSpillin Salt Lake City, UT

I feel like if I had the attention span, I could learn any language on this platform. The user experience is amazing and intuitive.

Keiana Knowles Tallahassee, FL

I used duolingo when I was in high school and I was taking Spanish classes. It was very helpful and helped me brush up on basic phrases and words in Spanish.

Mona-Lissa Tallahassee, FL

I had a trip to France and this app was able to teach me enough French to survive a week! Makes learning a new language fun and interactive.

Hillary Swensen Layton, UT

Duolingo is great for beginners! The stories are great for more advanced language learners. I do miss the old stories, though. It was fun to have a variety of characters. But that's not a huge deal. The actual app runs great!

Sicely Lyn Russell Mesa, AZ

I love using Duolingo! It's has perfect excersices to learn a language. I'm currently learning Spanish and I know so much more now. I like that it has the leagues that way you can compare with others. There are also so many language options including Latin!

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

Duolingo is fun and you learn a lot but it would be really hard to get fluent from it. However, the test to check your level in the language is very accurate, which is nice so that you don't have to waste time on things you already know. It is definitely helpful, but more in terms of being able to read the language, rather than understanding people speak it.

Jessica Chen Rockville, MD

I use Duolingo to improve my Spanish speaking and writing skills. Duolingo has constant notifications which encourages users to learn Spanish anywhere they want. Also it provides lots of tools and activities users can do to engage and keep them interested while learning Spanish. Using Duolingo, I learned more about the Spanish culture, food, and travel places.

courtney tennant Salem, VA

Duolingo offers a very fun and easy way to learn a different language and even offers practice tests

Raquel San Jose, CA

I have been trying to learn Spanish for about 14 years. I have taken classes. I have used other Apps. I have tried to have people teach me. Nothing has worked. Duolingo is the closest I have gotten to becoming more fluent. I know more words and can understand more text through this app. I am pretty sure I even have the free version and that is saying something. They repeat and repeat until it is forever in your brain. I am pretty sure I will never forget that manzana means apple. The app makes you listen, talk, write and read AND if you are in a spot where you cannot listen or talk, you can postpone until you are in a better spot. I turn the app on while waiting in line at the grocery store, or while getting gas. Just quick easy moments.

Joy V Salt Lake City, UT

Doulingo teaches a lot of vocabulary, but not as much grammar or sentence structure. It is a fun intro into any language that you want to learn. Real or fake haha

Alicia Turner Denver, CO

This is a great learning app to help you learn another language. It repeats things for you to help you learn. They quiz you and don’t over-teach to much information at once.

Britni Laidler Lindon, UT

Easy to use. Helps learn the language and you can do it wherever you are. I often did it while waiting to pick up son from school.

loren Riverton, UT

I’ve loved using Duolingo! It’s free and so fun, you can learn pronunciation, reading, and writing all in one app. It’s a great investment.

Jason Spokane, WA

I love this app it is a lot of fun and I enjoy using it for language learning! I will say that while it's fun it's not the most efficient for actual language learning but it is something fun to do and can help when coupled with other language learning services.

Destini Ferguson Tallahassee, FL

I wish there was some fun games to play, but I am defiantly learning! There are a couple of languages on the App. The vocabulary is also very extensive. My favorite thing is that Duolingo sends reminders so that you stay on top of your studies.

CJ Milke Olney, MD

Duolingo has taught me to be completely fluent in French in about three years! It also was a great tutor for me when I was in high school and taking Spanish for a couple semesters.

Kibsaim Rebollar Austin, TX

It is fun to use but I dont know how much is actually being learned.

Leonard Thompson Show Low, AZ

I have not yet personally used this App but my wife and kids do and they love it! They are always trying to beat each other’s goals and Practicing with each other what they have learned. It’s a great app that is a good thing for my family to be spending their time on.

Kamryn Alvey Denver, CO

I love this company because when I was in school and trying to learn a language I was able to use this app and it helped me become more fluent in the language and helped me excel in my classes and coursework. Love this app and would recommend to all my friends!

Jasmine Anderson Lehi, UT

I love Duolingo! I use it to help keep up with my Spanish over breaks like in the summer when I’m not in Spanish class. I love how the app always sends you reminder to come back and practice your Spanish because practice is definitely something you need when learning a language!

Celeste Walker American Fork, UT

Duolingo is a wonderful place to learn many languages! It alway reminds me to practice, gives new challenges and also celebrates when I accomplish a task! It uses many different, exciting, strategies to learn a concept and increases my excitement for the day!

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

Duolingo is absolutely the best way that I’ve found to dabble in or dedicate time to learning another language. This comes from someone who took several intro classes in multiple languages. It’s worth the monthly subscription if you really do need or want to use it on a regular basis. They make learning another language fun and intuitive.

Kristin Fleming Tallahassee, FL

Used Duolingo for a class over the summer and loved it. It helped me learn the language and the basics of it easily. The activities it provides are perfect strategies for learning the language. I would recommend this app to anyone trying to learn a language.

Aallen Katy, TX

When we traveled Europe we used this app to give us active language . We enjoyed it. It was fun and interactive. It was super entertaining and engaging. Each level gives you a lot of review with semantics and grammar as well as enforcing vocabulary.

Desiree Pleasant Grove, UT

Duolingo is probably my to go app if I ever need help learning a language. Because of Duolingo, I can now read and write in Korean. I can also read some letters in Japanese and I understand a little bit of Portuguese. Duolingo is a fun way to learn a language. Although, it is hard for me to practice consecutively. I wish they had more challenges and more games to help me practice consecutively.

Michael C. Fayetteville, AR

Duolingo has been a great platform to help me master a new language. I have used this platform for learning Spanish and Dutch, and it was helpful and fun. The style of learning was very interactive and daily goals/achievements are fun to complete and obtain. Whether you are on the go or staying in for the night, Duolingo is my favorite platform to learn a new language.

Elyse Chinnock ,

Duolingo is absolutely amazing. There is nothing else that is as good. I used to be very proficient in Spanish, but have not been able to speak it much in the past few years. Duolingo has helped me to brush up on my skills. There are speaking. listening, reading, and writing exercises. I recommend Duolingo to anyone trying to learn a new language or brush up on language skills.

David Anderson Providence, UT

I started using duolingo with my son on my phone. He chose french and I chose spanish. It helps me polish my advanced spanish skills and it helps my son learn new skills with 2nd language. I love how easy the app is to use and it gives us immediate feedback for results. I love that I can do a study session for 5-7 minutes each morning and fit it into my day.

TTeep Smithfield, UT

I used DuoLingo once to brush up on my Spanish. I think it could be useful for someone learning the language from scratch, but I really had a hard time using it.

Isabelle Teeples Smithfield, UT

I really like Duolingo, I started learning Spanish on there and it really has helped me learn basic things. I do wish they had more categories.

Meg Thorup Salt Lake City, UT

Great language learning app in a lot of ways but I wish it had better grammar explanations and introduced a wider range of vocabulary

Pauline Causse Provo, UT

Duolingo is easy and quick to use everyday. They have a bunch of languages. I probably could have gotten more out of the app if I had more motivation. But for a free and add free tool, it is pretty good!

Beth Knight Nakhon Sawan, 60

Duolingo is fun way to learn a new language. Each of the lessons feels like a game! You’ll definitely learn the basics of the language but might need to get a different resource for more advanced topics and phrases