Duolingo Logo

Founded in 2011, Duolingo is a language-learning platform available online or via mobile apps for Android, iOS, and Windows. It offers more than 30 language courses for English speakers, including High Valyrian and Klingon, for fantasy enthusiasts. In one account, users can work on multiple languages and keep track of progress.

Duolingo is the most popular app for learning languages and is the most downloaded app in the world in the education category. The Duolingo method focuses on bite-sized short, gamified lessons, with exercises that build and adapt to what you need extra help with. One of the company's main tenets is to make free educational opportunities, so Duolingo is free. However, there are in-app upgrades to add extras, work offline, or get rid of ads.

An initial placement test is offered, if you are a continuing learner, so you will have an easier time jumping right in. Additionally, the platform offers Duolingo for Schools (still free), so that teachers can implement Duo's platform to track students' practice and progress.

KimDugan Kailua, HI

Duolingo makes the initial stages of learning a language easy and far less intimidating than many other approaches. Using a visual approach much like a simplified RosettaStone vibe, you can easily jump into almost any language. The biggest drawback with this approach is, if you plan long-term studies in a language, this should really be more of a supplement. It teaches you in a way that is good for beginners, because it is simpler and less discouraging than sitting for hours learning conjugation and sentence structure, but those building blocks are what will lead you to fluency in more cases. Duolingo does a great job of stair-stepping you into different categories of words and phrases, but if you are not already linguistically-inclined, this probably shouldn't be your bread-and-butter. Regardless, the app is easy to use and it makes language-learning far more fun and easygoing than many other approaches. It is broken down nicely so you can do it a few minutes per day and not feel cut short.

Nyla C. Edison, NJ

Duolingo was a language platform I utilized in high school for an assignment. However, this platform has stuck with me to this day (I am a junior in college), because it has helped me grasp the Spanish language in different ways. It helped me speak Spanish (my second language) more fluently, and has allowed me to gain confidence in my Spanish speaking skills whenever I travel to Spanish-speaking countries, such as Honduras. Another great thing about Duolingo is that it can be accessed through a computer or a mobile device, and they even have an app that will send daily notifications to remind users to login and complete a daily activity.

Hillary Swensen Layton, UT

Duolingo is great for beginners! The stories are great for more advanced language learners. I do miss the old stories, though. It was fun to have a variety of characters. But that's not a huge deal. The actual app runs great!

Kay Tallahassee, FL

I have been using Duolingo for a few years now in an effort to learn Portuguese. I have found both the English->Portuguese and the Spanish->Portuguese programs useful, although the English program does have more features and lessons than the Spanish program. I recommend Duolingo to friends who are hoping to get started with a language--it certainly won't get you all the way there, but it has been a good place to start for me. I also really love that so many features are available with the free version, making language learning more accessible.

Madisen Cluff CA

I love learning languages. I made a goal this last year on 2020 to learn at least two languages in that one year time span. Unfortunately I did not learn to but I was able to become very confident in my ability to speak Spanish (my second language). Duolingo provided an easy and understandable way for me to learn words, phrases, and sentences at my own pace.

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

Duolingo is fun and you learn a lot but it would be really hard to get fluent from it. However, the test to check your level in the language is very accurate, which is nice so that you don't have to waste time on things you already know. It is definitely helpful, but more in terms of being able to read the language, rather than understanding people speak it.

Jason Spokane, WA

I love this app it is a lot of fun and I enjoy using it for language learning! I will say that while it's fun it's not the most efficient for actual language learning but it is something fun to do and can help when coupled with other language learning services.

Destini Ferguson Tallahassee, FL

I wish there was some fun games to play, but I am defiantly learning! There are a couple of languages on the App. The vocabulary is also very extensive. My favorite thing is that Duolingo sends reminders so that you stay on top of your studies.

Jessica Chen Rockville, MD

I use Duolingo to improve my Spanish speaking and writing skills. Duolingo has constant notifications which encourages users to learn Spanish anywhere they want. Also it provides lots of tools and activities users can do to engage and keep them interested while learning Spanish. Using Duolingo, I learned more about the Spanish culture, food, and travel places.

Pauline Causse Provo, UT

Duolingo is easy and quick to use everyday. They have a bunch of languages. I probably could have gotten more out of the app if I had more motivation. But for a free and add free tool, it is pretty good!

Beth Knight Nakhon Sawan, 60

Duolingo is fun way to learn a new language. Each of the lessons feels like a game! You’ll definitely learn the basics of the language but might need to get a different resource for more advanced topics and phrases

CJ Milke Olney, MD

Duolingo has taught me to be completely fluent in French in about three years! It also was a great tutor for me when I was in high school and taking Spanish for a couple semesters.

Sicely Lyn Russell Mesa, AZ

I love using Duolingo! It's has perfect excersices to learn a language. I'm currently learning Spanish and I know so much more now. I like that it has the leagues that way you can compare with others. There are also so many language options including Latin!

Raquel San Jose, CA

I have been trying to learn Spanish for about 14 years. I have taken classes. I have used other Apps. I have tried to have people teach me. Nothing has worked. Duolingo is the closest I have gotten to becoming more fluent. I know more words and can understand more text through this app. I am pretty sure I even have the free version and that is saying something. They repeat and repeat until it is forever in your brain. I am pretty sure I will never forget that manzana means apple. The app makes you listen, talk, write and read AND if you are in a spot where you cannot listen or talk, you can postpone until you are in a better spot. I turn the app on while waiting in line at the grocery store, or while getting gas. Just quick easy moments.

Darci Vasquez Spokane, WA

I like how Duolingo reminds you everyday to study and how it has a variety of ways for you to learn. I also like how many languages it offers on the app.

Rylie Crandall Nakhon Sawan, 60

I love how Duolingo is free to use and that it is so fun to use. It has helped me pick up phrases easily and in a fun way.

Megan Milke Laurel, MD

Duolingo has taught me to be completely fluent in Spanish. All of my friends who take Spanish class in school have a much easier time getting A's with Duolingo as their tutor.

Leonard Thompson Show Low, AZ

I have not yet personally used this App but my wife and kids do and they love it! They are always trying to beat each other’s goals and Practicing with each other what they have learned. It’s a great app that is a good thing for my family to be spending their time on.

Kamryn Alvey Denver, CO

I love this company because when I was in school and trying to learn a language I was able to use this app and it helped me become more fluent in the language and helped me excel in my classes and coursework. Love this app and would recommend to all my friends!

Jasmine Anderson Lehi, UT

I love Duolingo! I use it to help keep up with my Spanish over breaks like in the summer when I’m not in Spanish class. I love how the app always sends you reminder to come back and practice your Spanish because practice is definitely something you need when learning a language!

Celeste Walker American Fork, UT

Duolingo is a wonderful place to learn many languages! It alway reminds me to practice, gives new challenges and also celebrates when I accomplish a task! It uses many different, exciting, strategies to learn a concept and increases my excitement for the day!

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

Duolingo is absolutely the best way that I’ve found to dabble in or dedicate time to learning another language. This comes from someone who took several intro classes in multiple languages. It’s worth the monthly subscription if you really do need or want to use it on a regular basis. They make learning another language fun and intuitive.

Kristin Fleming Tallahassee, FL

Used Duolingo for a class over the summer and loved it. It helped me learn the language and the basics of it easily. The activities it provides are perfect strategies for learning the language. I would recommend this app to anyone trying to learn a language.

Aallen Katy, TX

When we traveled Europe we used this app to give us active language . We enjoyed it. It was fun and interactive. It was super entertaining and engaging. Each level gives you a lot of review with semantics and grammar as well as enforcing vocabulary.

Desiree Pleasant Grove, UT

Duolingo is probably my to go app if I ever need help learning a language. Because of Duolingo, I can now read and write in Korean. I can also read some letters in Japanese and I understand a little bit of Portuguese. Duolingo is a fun way to learn a language. Although, it is hard for me to practice consecutively. I wish they had more challenges and more games to help me practice consecutively.

Michael C. Fayetteville, AR

Duolingo has been a great platform to help me master a new language. I have used this platform for learning Spanish and Dutch, and it was helpful and fun. The style of learning was very interactive and daily goals/achievements are fun to complete and obtain. Whether you are on the go or staying in for the night, Duolingo is my favorite platform to learn a new language.

Elyse Chinnock ,

Duolingo is absolutely amazing. There is nothing else that is as good. I used to be very proficient in Spanish, but have not been able to speak it much in the past few years. Duolingo has helped me to brush up on my skills. There are speaking. listening, reading, and writing exercises. I recommend Duolingo to anyone trying to learn a new language or brush up on language skills.

David Anderson Providence, UT

I started using duolingo with my son on my phone. He chose french and I chose spanish. It helps me polish my advanced spanish skills and it helps my son learn new skills with 2nd language. I love how easy the app is to use and it gives us immediate feedback for results. I love that I can do a study session for 5-7 minutes each morning and fit it into my day.

Jenetta E Provo, UT

I did exactly one week of Duolingo. It was not engaging and I didn't feel like I was learning much. I also know people who have been doing it for years, have huge streaks, but still can't speak the language at all.

Taylor Larson 10

This app is fun and easy to use and I feel like it has been effective at teaching me phrases in other languages.

Devin Williams Concord, CA

duolingo has provided a nice review of spanish for me. I like how they have specialized lessons and they make it fun so it’s not feeling like school.

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

Duolingo makes it fun and easy to learn the basics of a new language. It won’t make you fluent, but does a good job setting the foundations!

Lisa C Johnson Windsor Mill, MD

I have only used it twice. I havent figured out how to get back to the previous lession because I want to review. It seems simple to use. It does send you email reminders when its time for your next lession. I am learning alot. It is free. Thank you.

Emily Wettstein Pleasant Grove, UT

Overall pretty good. Makes it fun to learn however seemed to be for people that already have a base in the language. It skipped over the alphabet and how to pronounce things and had you guess how to write sentences instead of teaching you how.

Stephanie Bullough Bountiful, UT

I love how easy the program makes it to learn a new language and have used it for learning a few different ones! The only concern is it does become a little stale over time and I wish there was a bit more customization in what what would most help one depending on travel, business, or personal.

Liza Wilson ,

I love Duolingo! It makes learning a new language less intimidating and more fun! It’s definitely a good place to start but you’ll want to move onto a different program for more in-depth language lessons!

Karli American Fork, UT

Duolingo is a wonderful app! I was fluent in Italian after spending some time in Italy a few years ago, and Duolingo is a wonderful way to keep up the language and to continue learning. I love how they make learning fun, with exciting exercises and easy ways to remember certain things. Big fan!

Max Winkel Salt Lake City, UT

Duolingo is probably the best language learning app out there and its free. If you are taking classes on a language already you can take a test to advance in your lessons which I did when I was in spanish 2 and it helped me learn better and I ended up doing better in the class because of it.

Caitlin Fayetteville, AR

Duolingo is the best app for learning a foreign language hands down! This app makes everything fun and creatively uses new ways to help you pick up on a new language! I cannot recommend this app enough. You might even forget you're not just playing another game on your phone!

Merrick Carter Blackfoot, ID

Doulingo is the best! It is a quick and convenient way to learn a foreign language. You can set your own goals and only spend a few minutes every day, but all the while working toward your goal. Did I mention how convenient it is? And it's free!

Alissa Flammer Smithfield, UT

Duolingo is a great way to learn new languages and it is pretty amazing. I have learned multiple languages and I have recommended it to my family and friends. It's super simple and easy and teaches you to speak, read, and write.

Mackenize Jorgensen Salt Lake City, UT

We use duolingo to learn new languages and do some school work in my family. It is super easy and user friendly. It is super helpful when learning a new languages and it has many different ways of learning so anyone can use it.

Ryan Harpenau Fayetteville, AR

I used Duolingo to supplement my Spanish courses and the app was very east to use and very helpful in learning the language. It starts off with simple topics and works you up to more advanced topics which is extremely helpful in learning a new language. I haven't used the app in a while so I am not sure what new updates they have, but it would be cool to be able to practice with an actual language instructor through the app.

Allen Lambert Fayetteville, AR

I have been using Duolingo to help practice my Spanish for around a year now and have loved it. The way it breaks things into sections makes it easy to learn and the awards and streaks provide a good incentive to practice everyday. I also enjoy connecting and competing with my friends, this has helped me to practice more and to practice everyday.

Rachel Logan, UT

What a great way to learn a new language! It does seem to be geared towards someone wanting to travel, as they typical teach you those kinds of phrases. But I love how they let you hear it aloud and say it. It does no good to memorize words and phrases if you don’t know how to pronounce them correctly! I used it to practice my Spanish and was impressed.

Simone Tallahassee, FL

Good and practical lessons, especially for beginners. Reminders helpful to keep you on track.

Holly Magnusson Draper, UT

Duolingo starts at the level I am, level 0. Really good at sending reminders and encouragement. Progressing at my own pace, and reviewing what I've done.

Lukaah Marlowe American Fork, UT

Duolingo had really helped me and my other classmates learn Spanish, and it is a great learning tool. It is easy to use, and gives me a want to do it.

Rylan Bateman Los Angeles, CA

Language learning apps are tricky. Will you learn rules, words, and structure for your new language? Yes. Will you learn how to speak fluently? Likely not. Duolingo has successfully gamified language learning, certainly, and to mildly successful results.

Jordon Patton Pflugerville, TX

Duolingo is great. I took a basic French course, and was able to get by while in France. But, there's really nothing like immersing yourself in the language to really learn it.