Duolingo Logo

Founded in 2011, Duolingo is a language-learning platform available online or via mobile apps for Android, iOS, and Windows. It offers more than 30 language courses for English speakers, including High Valyrian and Klingon, for fantasy enthusiasts. In one account, users can work on multiple languages and keep track of progress.

Duolingo is the most popular app for learning languages and is the most downloaded app in the world in the education category. The Duolingo method focuses on bite-sized short, gamified lessons, with exercises that build and adapt to what you need extra help with. One of the company's main tenets is to make free educational opportunities, so Duolingo is free. However, there are in-app upgrades to add extras, work offline, or get rid of ads.

An initial placement test is offered, if you are a continuing learner, so you will have an easier time jumping right in. Additionally, the platform offers Duolingo for Schools (still free), so that teachers can implement Duo's platform to track students' practice and progress.

Sicely Lyn Russell Mesa, AZ

I love using Duolingo! It's has perfect excersices to learn a language. I'm currently learning Spanish and I know so much more now. I like that it has the leagues that way you can compare with others. There are also so many language options including Latin!

Leonard Thompson Show Low, AZ

I have not yet personally used this App but my wife and kids do and they love it! They are always trying to beat each other’s goals and Practicing with each other what they have learned. It’s a great app that is a good thing for my family to be spending their time on.

Kamryn Alvey Denver, CO

I love this company because when I was in school and trying to learn a language I was able to use this app and it helped me become more fluent in the language and helped me excel in my classes and coursework. Love this app and would recommend to all my friends!

Jasmine Anderson Lehi, UT

I love Duolingo! I use it to help keep up with my Spanish over breaks like in the summer when I’m not in Spanish class. I love how the app always sends you reminder to come back and practice your Spanish because practice is definitely something you need when learning a language!

Celeste Walker American Fork, UT

Duolingo is a wonderful place to learn many languages! It alway reminds me to practice, gives new challenges and also celebrates when I accomplish a task! It uses many different, exciting, strategies to learn a concept and increases my excitement for the day!

Lisa C Johnson Windsor Mill, MD

I have only used it twice. I havent figured out how to get back to the previous lession because I want to review. It seems simple to use. It does send you email reminders when its time for your next lession. I am learning alot. It is free. Thank you.

Emily Wettstein Pleasant Grove, UT

Overall pretty good. Makes it fun to learn however seemed to be for people that already have a base in the language. It skipped over the alphabet and how to pronounce things and had you guess how to write sentences instead of teaching you how.

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

Duolingo is absolutely the best way that I’ve found to dabble in or dedicate time to learning another language. This comes from someone who took several intro classes in multiple languages. It’s worth the monthly subscription if you really do need or want to use it on a regular basis. They make learning another language fun and intuitive.

Kristin Fleming Tallahassee, FL

Used Duolingo for a class over the summer and loved it. It helped me learn the language and the basics of it easily. The activities it provides are perfect strategies for learning the language. I would recommend this app to anyone trying to learn a language.

Aallen Katy, TX

When we traveled Europe we used this app to give us active language . We enjoyed it. It was fun and interactive. It was super entertaining and engaging. Each level gives you a lot of review with semantics and grammar as well as enforcing vocabulary.

Karli American Fork, UT

Duolingo is a wonderful app! I was fluent in Italian after spending some time in Italy a few years ago, and Duolingo is a wonderful way to keep up the language and to continue learning. I love how they make learning fun, with exciting exercises and easy ways to remember certain things. Big fan!

Desiree Pleasant Grove, UT

Duolingo is probably my to go app if I ever need help learning a language. Because of Duolingo, I can now read and write in Korean. I can also read some letters in Japanese and I understand a little bit of Portuguese. Duolingo is a fun way to learn a language. Although, it is hard for me to practice consecutively. I wish they had more challenges and more games to help me practice consecutively.

Michael C. Fayetteville, AR

Duolingo has been a great platform to help me master a new language. I have used this platform for learning Spanish and Dutch, and it was helpful and fun. The style of learning was very interactive and daily goals/achievements are fun to complete and obtain. Whether you are on the go or staying in for the night, Duolingo is my favorite platform to learn a new language.

Elyse Chinnock ,

Duolingo is absolutely amazing. There is nothing else that is as good. I used to be very proficient in Spanish, but have not been able to speak it much in the past few years. Duolingo has helped me to brush up on my skills. There are speaking. listening, reading, and writing exercises. I recommend Duolingo to anyone trying to learn a new language or brush up on language skills.

Raquel San Jose, CA

I have been trying to learn Spanish for about 14 years. I have taken classes. I have used other Apps. I have tried to have people teach me. Nothing has worked. Duolingo is the closest I have gotten to becoming more fluent. I know more words and can understand more text through this app. I am pretty sure I even have the free version and that is saying something. They repeat and repeat until it is forever in your brain. I am pretty sure I will never forget that manzana means apple. The app makes you listen, talk, write and read AND if you are in a spot where you cannot listen or talk, you can postpone until you are in a better spot. I turn the app on while waiting in line at the grocery store, or while getting gas. Just quick easy moments.

Holly Magnusson Draper, UT

Duolingo starts at the level I am, level 0. Really good at sending reminders and encouragement. Progressing at my own pace, and reviewing what I've done.

Anya Lee Tallahassee, FL

This is such a great, fun way to learn a new language or to increase language fluency! And it’s free! This is definitely one of the top apps out there.

Lukaah Marlowe American Fork, UT

Duolingo had really helped me and my other classmates learn Spanish, and it is a great learning tool. It is easy to use, and gives me a want to do it.

Stephanie Bullough Bountiful, UT

I love how easy the program makes it to learn a new language and have used it for learning a few different ones! The only concern is it does become a little stale over time and I wish there was a bit more customization in what what would most help one depending on travel, business, or personal.

Liza Wilson ,

I love Duolingo! It makes learning a new language less intimidating and more fun! It’s definitely a good place to start but you’ll want to move onto a different program for more in-depth language lessons!

Max Winkel Salt Lake City, UT

Duolingo is probably the best language learning app out there and its free. If you are taking classes on a language already you can take a test to advance in your lessons which I did when I was in spanish 2 and it helped me learn better and I ended up doing better in the class because of it.

Caitlin Fayetteville, AR

Duolingo is the best app for learning a foreign language hands down! This app makes everything fun and creatively uses new ways to help you pick up on a new language! I cannot recommend this app enough. You might even forget you're not just playing another game on your phone!

Merrick Carter Blackfoot, ID

Doulingo is the best! It is a quick and convenient way to learn a foreign language. You can set your own goals and only spend a few minutes every day, but all the while working toward your goal. Did I mention how convenient it is? And it's free!

Whitney Wilkins West Valley City, UT

I love using Duolingo to both learn and practice a language. I love the variety of methods it uses to help you really learn this language.

Simone Tallahassee, FL

Makes learning a language less daunting and more like a game. The notifications can become annoying and disheartening if you miss too many days in a row.

Rylan Bateman Los Angeles, CA

Language learning apps are tricky. Will you learn rules, words, and structure for your new language? Yes. Will you learn how to speak fluently? Likely not. Duolingo has successfully gamified language learning, certainly, and to mildly successful results.

Jordon Patton Pflugerville, TX

Duolingo is great. I took a basic French course, and was able to get by while in France. But, there's really nothing like immersing yourself in the language to really learn it.

applebutteranna Butler West Wendover, NV

I love how many languages they offer on here. I also love how they give you the option to practice when you are not able to listen or speak at that time.

Jason Burt Riverton, UT

Duolingo is a great app for learning and practicing your foreign language skills! I learned Spanish years ago and this app has been great at helping me sharpen my skills! The app makes learning fun!

Jared Provo, UT

Duolingo has a great interface and plenty of languages, but I have found other methods of language learning to be more effective. Duolingo is, however, one of the most convenient and maybe the easiest software to use, which encourages consistency (which I think beats less consistent, though more effective, methods every time).

Abby Ashby Provo, UT

Duolingo is helpful for learning basics about a language. It’s better to be able to speak the language with someone but if that’s not available duolingo is great.

Tommy McCarlie Chicago, IL

Always nice to brush up on my street french before I hit Paris. Duolingo gives you just enough to that with a clean interface (but please get rid of the spam).

Nathan Justis Smithfield, UT

Amazing! One of the best apps ever! I can't believe what your team has accomplished in developing this. Awesome instructional design, user interface, and user experience. Way to go.

Brian Salt Lake City, UT

Free!! Well, at least that's the mode I used it in. It's definitely something you need to use daily, if not multiple times a day, but it you stick with it it definitely helps.

Alissa Flammer Smithfield, UT

Duolingo is a great way to learn new languages and it is pretty amazing. I have learned multiple languages and I have recommended it to my family and friends. It's super simple and easy and teaches you to speak, read, and write.

Mackenize Jorgensen Salt Lake City, UT

We use duolingo to learn new languages and do some school work in my family. It is super easy and user friendly. It is super helpful when learning a new languages and it has many different ways of learning so anyone can use it.

Ryan Harpenau Fayetteville, AR

I used Duolingo to supplement my Spanish courses and the app was very east to use and very helpful in learning the language. It starts off with simple topics and works you up to more advanced topics which is extremely helpful in learning a new language. I haven't used the app in a while so I am not sure what new updates they have, but it would be cool to be able to practice with an actual language instructor through the app.

Allen Lambert Fayetteville, AR

I have been using Duolingo to help practice my Spanish for around a year now and have loved it. The way it breaks things into sections makes it easy to learn and the awards and streaks provide a good incentive to practice everyday. I also enjoy connecting and competing with my friends, this has helped me to practice more and to practice everyday.

Rachel Logan, UT

What a great way to learn a new language! It does seem to be geared towards someone wanting to travel, as they typical teach you those kinds of phrases. But I love how they let you hear it aloud and say it. It does no good to memorize words and phrases if you don’t know how to pronounce them correctly! I used it to practice my Spanish and was impressed.

mamar West Valley City, UT

My kids have been using Duolingo for their Portugese class and they have loved it. THey love the short activities and help them in making sentences and also understanding sentences written in Portugese. Great tool for for short lessons daily.

AF ,

My children are both learning Portuguese at their school so I've been trying to learn it using Duolingo. It is great! I love that you can hear the correct pronunciation of the language... but also see it written out. I learn so much better when I can read it AND hear it. I really like it - it's like playing a game.

Shaki Tallahassee, FL

This app is wonderful! It pushes you to study the language and overtime you can unlock books and stories to read

Gaby Alexander Tallahassee, FL

It's alright. It's good for teaching basic vocabulary, but it doesn't teach you grammar and composition, which is really important. It does the bare minimum.

MikeS Toronto, ON

I’ve used Duolingo to improve my language skills. It’s fun and easy to use. It’s help me make improvements.

Syd13 Washington, UT

Doulingo made learning a language easy and fun! It was so simple to use and I was always entertained!

Brin Stevens Provo, UT

A way fun way to learn a language, it feels like playing a game. I’m trying to learn another language now!

Janiah Cook Tallahassee, FL

I’ve used duolingo with Spanish in middle school. It has always helped me with pronunciation and learning the foundation. It is free !

Mason Allen Provo, UT

I like that it gives the basics of a language. I just have a hard time transitioning from the app to real life so I feel like the actual application of the skills isn't great.

jaci finch Corpus Christi, TX

I used to use Duolingo before, but now that they added in the paid function it just isn't worth it. I use Rosetta Stone instead and paid the upfront 200$, but got so much more out of it. Duolingo is okay, but I don't think you can truly learn to speak a language through it.

Emily Harrison Pleasant Grove, UT

I tried to learn spanish on this app and it never told me how to pronounce the words, therefore I always got the speaking sections wrong and sounded confusing when I spoke. It also doesn't teach conjugation when it would be most helpful, I didn't learn it on the app and eventually gave up, if I had learned conjugation it would have been helpful