Duolingo Logo
LAST UPDATED: March 28th, 2022

Founded in 2011, Duolingo is a language-learning platform available online or via mobile apps for Android, iOS, and Windows. It offers more than 30 language courses for English speakers, including High Valyrian and Klingon, for fantasy enthusiasts. In one account, users can work on multiple languages and keep track of progress.

Duolingo is the most popular app for learning languages and is the most downloaded app in the world in the education category. The Duolingo method focuses on bite-sized short, gamified lessons, with exercises that build and adapt to what you need extra help with. One of the company's main tenets is to make free educational opportunities, so Duolingo is free. However, there are in-app upgrades to add extras, work offline, or get rid of ads.

An initial placement test is offered, if you are a continuing learner, so you will have an easier time jumping right in. Additionally, the platform offers Duolingo for Schools (still free), so that teachers can implement Duo's platform to track students' practice and progress.

Naturally Amari Memphis, TN

As I was introduced to Spanish it wasn’t hard but using Duolingo helped me . It helped me with my sentences and mowing how to describe my room in Spanish with flash cards and more .

Kelsey Christenson Orem, UT

I love using Duolingo. I've used it with two different languages. The learning pathway seems well laid out and comprehensive. The activities are engaging, and supportive. There are various kinds of activities, as well as leaderboards and little awards for the more practice you do.

Ashlyn Elwood Roswell, GA

I am in AP Spanish and Duolingo has saved my grade. They make it not only easy to learn languages, but also fun. From reading comprehension, to podcasts where you repeat after the speaker, to vocab quizzes, Duolingo has features that have helped me learn how to speak, read, and comprehend Spanish better in a matter of weeks! It's fun to try to maintain your streak and completely free as long as you don't mind watching a few ads. Otherwise, it's not too expensive to remove them. I can't wait to use Duolingo to learn more languages!

Travis C Herriman, UT

I’ve used the free version of Duolingo for years. I love this app. It progresses you through the language learning process gradually and encourages and reminds you to keep learning. You can set up daily goals and reminders. I’ve used the paid version as well. The paid version allows you to learn offline easier and opens more opportunities for learning. If you access your account on a computer, you’ll find flash cards for vocab you’ve learned through the app. Great product!

Lauryn Pelch West Jordan, UT

I really like duolingo I recently started to learn spanish and this has helped me a lot. I like how it always reminds me of what I had learned the day before. A lot of the other apps were harder to use and I didn't understand. I definitely think that this is an easy way to learn and remember different languages,

Lilyjames Hayward, CA

I’ve used duolingo since I can remember, I speak 4 languages and keeping them all fluent is really hard but duolingo has helped me a lot and I’ve also learned new languages easy and fun because of this app.

Korinne C Riverton, UT

Duolingo is an amazing program that I wish I had more time for. My daughter uses it regularly and is learning so much. She can understand so many phrases and loves using it. She will keep track of her friends' progress on it and they keep track of her. Its a very good and effective program for learning languages, especially Spanish.

Heather Riverton, UT

My daughter is in a dual language immersion program in school. She uses Duolingo to practice her Spanish at home. She did not enjoy using it when she was younger, but she is now in 8th grade and she likes the program and it has really helped her learn and improve in speaking and understanding Spanish.

Aurora Mcgee Riverton, UT

Duolingo is an amazing way to learn a language. It is super engaging and has fun challenges that motivate you to practice. However if you want to be able to have a conversation in a different I suggest using other apps with Duolingo, or watching YouTube videos too because Duolingo is good to help memorize things, but it doesn’t always tell you the most useful things for conversations.

Brynlee Dalton Riverton, UT

I love Duolingo SOOO much! It is such a great website! My favorite pass time is to sit at my computer and learn Romanian on Duolingo. There are so many different languages to try! Duolingo is awesome, and I would definitely recommend it to a friend.

emblair Herriman, UT

My daughter started learning French with Duolingo, so I started learning French with Duolingo to surprise her! I've been impressed with how easy it makes it to learn a new language. And the daily streak keeps you coming back for more!

Kristen Roseville, CA

Duolingo has been a great help in my efforts to learn Spanish. The lessons are simple and intriguing. I like that you can keep a steady streak going and compete to earn the must experience and "level up." I've learned 300 words so far. Definitely recommend trying it out.

William King Herriman, UT

I am learning Norwegian with Duolingo. They have you translate from English and from Norwegian, speak in the language, and listen to the language. In more common languages like Spanish and French, they have some stories for you to read. I really like using Duolingo, although it is hard to keep motivated sometimes.

Becca Jones Bel Air, MD

Duolingo makes it easy to learn and practice a new language in a shortened length of time. There are multiple formats in the app to learn a new language. I personally like that you are able to practice pronunciation and diction through speaking to the commands. There are many modules at each level to complete. After a few short months I have become much more fluent in Spanish!

Bx Chick Yonkers, NY

I took Spanish classes from 7-12 grade and 1st semester in College. I used Duolingo to practice and recall what I had already learned. I also used it to help tudor a student. It was great because we were able to increase our Spanish vocabulary almost everyday. It was fun to complete the challenges given, in order to progress to the next level. The animation is a plus! I recommend this to anyone who would like to learn a new language or continue to improve a language that they already know.

Thomas Nuffer Lindon, UT

Very good for learning or sharpening up on language skills, I use it to practice portugues, but it has tons of languages, and all of them have all the resources you need to practice or learn a language. There are interactive things, written things, and listening things to help you. It can teach you to conjugate verbs, pronunciate things correctly, and increase your knowledge on that language. If you want to easily learn a language for free, this is probably the best thing to do.

Nyla C. Edison, NJ

Duolingo was a language platform I utilized in high school for an assignment. However, this platform has stuck with me to this day (I am a junior in college), because it has helped me grasp the Spanish language in different ways. It helped me speak Spanish (my second language) more fluently, and has allowed me to gain confidence in my Spanish speaking skills whenever I travel to Spanish-speaking countries, such as Honduras. Another great thing about Duolingo is that it can be accessed through a computer or a mobile device, and they even have an app that will send daily notifications to remind users to login and complete a daily activity.

Noa Ranoa Vista, CA

I needed to learn enough Italian to go to Italy. Duolingo is awesome! I did 15 min a day... that's it. I used the app for roughly 30 times. I learned the basics and in a traveling way. 5 stars.

Sydney

Duolingo is a great app to keep up with a language. However sometimes I find it hard to use when I am trying to learn a new language. It is really helpful if you are learning the language somewhere else and want to practice vocab though. I also love their story section.

Jordan Bell Orem, UT

I love Duolingo! I love learning languages and they just make it so easy to do so. The only problem I have is that they do not offer Tagalog yet, but other than that they make it fun and easy to learn languages.

HKorene Robinson Herriman, UT

I used Duolingo to learn some basic German. I felt that it did a pretty good job of teaching me real world language that I might actually use if I was talking to a person in a German speaking country. I also felt that it did a good job of reminding me to get on and practice.

Kurt Didenhover Salt Lake City, UT

Duolingo is a great software platform to learn a new language or review one you've already learned. I learned German in high school and got to practice it during some time I lived in Austria. Afterward, I use Duolingo to keep my vocabulary and grammar skills sharp. Lessons were easy to follow and well thought out.

Brent Thurgood Spanish Fork, UT

This is a great tool to start learning a language. I've always wanted to learn to speak Spanish and whenever I have a few free minutes during the day I open the app and run through a lesson or two.

Debora Paez Columbia, MO

Duolingo is a super encouraging company to learn a new language through. It has many ways of learning like pronunciation, matching vocabulary games, quiz yourself, and my all time favorite - the stories you can read in the language you're learning. My one complaint with Duolingo is that one cannot begin learning what you might want/find more useful at the time as the order in which you learn this is determined by them. Additionally, I am also not a fan of how you must continue to practice old stuff as you are learning the new things to keep the learning circles from cracking.

Kaylee Gay Columbia, MO

Duolingo makes it so easy to practice almost any language that you want! It's affordable and convenient. You can learn an entirely new language in the comfort of your home! I have used Duolingo to improve my Spanish and I hope to use it in my future career in nursing.

Melissa Castillo Baytown, TX

Duolingo is one of the best apps to learn a new language or practice up on your language skills if it's been a while. I use Duolingo when I'm preparing for a trip out of country and to keep up with the language skills I have in French and Spanish.

Molly Blair Herriman, UT

I have been using Duolingo for two years now, and I absolutley love it! I have learned way more from Duolingo than I have from my real french class. It's teaching methods are very efficient. They offer many different types of learning, and all are very fun.

Elena Pack West Jordan, UT

Duolingo is a great app to help you learn a language. It is helpful because it reminds you daily to do your language lessons. It has lots of help and is a fast and easy way to learn a new language. They have a ton of languages that you can choose to learn.

Saylor D Herriman, UT

Duolingo made it really easy to learn German. They focused mainly on vocabulary and learning certain words, and not as much on sentences. The interface is very easy to use, and the bright colors and characters make it fun to interact with.

Richard Cunningham Sandys Parish, SA

This is a great app for people wanting to learn a foreign language. I downloaded to learn Spanish and was hooked. It starts off easy and gradually builds. Its very addictive in a good way and by collecting badges keeps the user engaged. It did reach a point that I was only using so as to keep my 'streak' - and it also did get very difficult. I liked the stories and how you can see how your friends are doing too.

Rachelle Orlando, FL

Been using on and off for a while. My mom uses it as well and all my siblings love it. It’s like a game to them they literally ask her to play. And they’re learning while doing so who can fault that. Awesome app I just need to be more consistent.

Chelsi Day Ghiorzi Columbus, OH

What an awesome software. My husband has used it daily for a handful of years. I use it off and on. I wish I was more committed to it because it really is a high quality app that allows you to learn a new language little by little at your own pace

KimDugan Kailua, HI

Duolingo makes the initial stages of learning a language easy and far less intimidating than many other approaches. Using a visual approach much like a simplified RosettaStone vibe, you can easily jump into almost any language. The biggest drawback with this approach is, if you plan long-term studies in a language, this should really be more of a supplement. It teaches you in a way that is good for beginners, because it is simpler and less discouraging than sitting for hours learning conjugation and sentence structure, but those building blocks are what will lead you to fluency in more cases. Duolingo does a great job of stair-stepping you into different categories of words and phrases, but if you are not already linguistically-inclined, this probably shouldn't be your bread-and-butter. Regardless, the app is easy to use and it makes language-learning far more fun and easygoing than many other approaches. It is broken down nicely so you can do it a few minutes per day and not feel cut short.

Ashley D Tallahassee, FL

For anyone that is serious about learning a language, Duolingo is the place to go. I personally use it to help with my Spanish and it is amazing. Not only does it remind you of the learning you should complete, the plus feature lets you review any mistake you make which is great for me when studying for my Spanish exams. Duolingo is completely accessible and just as great completely free. I feel it's not one of those apps where you have to pay to learn, you are simply just learning.

Aiyana Brown Tallahassee, FL

Though the owl sometimes gives me nightmares, the app itself is a wonderful way to open the door to learning a new language. They do their best to keep you engaged and keep you coming back every day to make sure you keep up your learning and have something to show for it at the end of your learning with them. Overall the app itself is an amazing concept and it does a great job of executing the task it’s meant to do.

Brielle Spencer Pleasant Grove, UT

Used it in school. Great to learn new languages and focus on reading writing and speaking. Yea he’s you phrases you will use!

AlisaD Salt Lake City, UT

My kids love using this app to practice and learn new languages. Very helpful for students taking a language in school.

Ricardas

I use Duolingo before traveling to foreing country. It helps to learn a few common phrases! I just love making people smile by saying some basic things in their own language.

Nicole Williams West Jordan, UT

My daughter started using this because her friend wanted her to learn German with her for fun. She has really enjoyed it. She is excited to get on it everyday!

Brynlee Dalton Herriman, UT

I have loved Duolingo! I have used it often to help me learn Romanian, and it has been a great experience for me. I would definitely recommend Duolingo to a friend.

Carnan Fort Collins, CO

I used Duolingo for almost a year, but then got out of the habit of using it. I think it is most helpful when you use it every day. I felt like it advanced me appropriately for my level.

Abigail Land Tallahassee, FL

Free version and premium are both great. It makes learning languages fun and easy. It makes it like a game and has conversation options as well. It is low stress by being able to converse with AI.

David Stickles West Jordan, UT

Awesome platform for learning a new language on your own time. Rewards you for keeping at a new skill and can get you the basics or fairly advanced depending on how far you use it.

Harlee Rousey Riverton, UT

Duolingo has been a great tool for me to use while learning French! It is easy to navigate, and has well organized lessons. I would definitely recommend this app to other people.

Taylor Jorgensen Herriman, UT

Duolingo is a great way to learn a new language or practice a second language. Teachers can use this website for their students. You will begin with some basic, easy conversations, and then you will advance to more complex conversations.

Cael Thurgood Herriman, UT

I love how friendly that it is with its lovable Duolingo owl. It really is a great app, the only thing is, that it does not help you to become fluent. But you do get to learn along side you friends and compare your stats it honestly is a lot of fun!

Beatrice Salt Lake City, UT

Duolingo is fun and can get addicting with the streaks you can earn. It's helped me at least get to the point that I can read and understand a new language better. I need to keep going to be fluent

Shopman Herriman, UT

We have used Duolingo to help learn Spanish and French. It has been a big help with both languages. It makes learning fun. Being able to compete with your friends is very motivational.

Clay Thurgood Salt Lake City, UT

I use Duolingo to help me learn Swedish (honestly one of the greatest languages) and it’s super easy to start learning. I do it all the time in my free time and it’s honestly great b

Giulia

Great program, very useful and fun. I can just plain learn new languages ​​and have fun. You can meet new friends and see their progress. Compelling yet simple graphics, suitable for all age groups.