Busuu Logo
LAST UPDATED: February 16th, 2021

Founded in London, England in 2008, Busuu is a language learning platform. It offers instruction in 12 languages and boasts a community of more than 90 million learners around the world.

The platform includes self-paced courses that focus on the basics: reading, writing, speaking, and listening; and combine that with practical speaking or writing practice with native speakers. Its meant to be used for 10 minutes a day. Users can learn on Busuu online or with iOS or Android apps. There is even an offline mode, so you don't need internet access to work on your language.

In 2015, Busuu partnered with McGraw-Hill Education to create a certification program for learners who use the textbook company's courses in class.

Busuu uses a freemium membership model with optional upgrades for access to more features: Premium for casual learners and Premium Plus for more intense learners.

Users can login with Facebook or Google credentials.

Morgan Huff Phoenix, AZ

It had been a long time since I had picked up Japanese. I got Busuu during a Black Friday sale and it has been amazing. The ability to use your skills with real people is so crucial in learning.

Desi Pleasant Grove, UT

I've used Busuu to learn Spanish. I really like this app, I've learnt a lot of useful phrases, but I hate how it limits you when you want to learn more. That's why I deleted the app. Really useful app, but I didn't want to spend a bunch of money just to unlock levels.