Babbel Logo
LAST UPDATED: February 17th, 2022

Babbel is a language learning platform and app that was launched in 2007. It offers instruction in more than 10 languages and focuses on getting learners ready for real-world conversations. It uses speech recognition technology, just like Duolingo and Rosetta stone to help you learn proper pronunciation.

Lessons are 10–15 minutes each and meant to fit in with your busy schedule. Babbel is accessible online or via Android and iOS apps.

You can login and try the first lesson for free, but after that you need to subscribe for more access. There are several subscription options:

• Monthly — $12.95
  • Quarterly — $26.85
  • Semi-annually — $44.70
  • Annually — $83.40

There is a 20-day money-back guarantee with any subscription purchase. Users can login with Facebook or Google for easy access.

3.9

Mary Fernandes New York, NY

Babbel is a wonderful and intuitive way of learning a foreign language on your own schedule and with helpful, interactive sessions and reviews. I took Spanish for a while and though I eventually ended my subscription, it was only due to a lack of time on my part. The fee is very reasonable, and the sessions combine different skills that are needed in learning the Language. I found it to be an extremely good and convenient app for language instruction.

Fernando

Helped me relearn the Spanish I lost. I used to be able to speak it fluently then I lost it as the yrs passed but thanks to babble I feel confident enough to speak it again

Elisabeth Kinghorn Nakhon Sawan, 60

I used Babbel to learn some French before traveling to France for a month. I loved that the lessons were very time efficient and I could do them anywhere from my phone. I was able to successfully communicate the essentials in France thanks to Babbel!

Sydney Buena Vista, VA

I think that Babbel is a great language learning software, it teaches you and then tests you. The only downside is there isn't really a free version

Brooklyn Jensen Provo, UT

This would be a good app to start learning a language from. However, it feels like it is more geared towards beginners. Even after answering a question saying that I speak some Spanish, the app had me start with some super basic things such as how to say hello, yes, and other similar things.

abw fsu Tallahassee, FL

I tried Babbel when I was looking for an alternative for DuoLingo, but I wasn't all that impressed with the app. Their content is unique for each language offered, meaning that Babbel has varied quality/quantity of language content. I was refreshing my Spanish and attempting to learn Swahili. I found that Babbel had better quality and quantity of lessons for Spanish, because it's so popular, versus a less popular language like Swahili. I liked my Spanish lessons, but I wish they had better material for languages that aren't as common.

Steve Jones Riverton, UT

Babbel is great. I love that you can start out by trying a portion of the program for free to help you decide if you want to proceed. Their membership is affordable and I feel like I've learned so much from the program. Their exercises really are what make it fun. I highly recommend Babbel!

Angelina Hamilton Gulfport, MS

I've tried many things to learn a language and this helped Product helped tremendously, I have always tried to learn a different language, but this has been the most effective. It has really helped me learn Spanish to be able to have a basic conversation.

Desi Pleasant Grove, UT

I like how Babbel is different from other language learning apps. This one lets you practice conversations. Tools are very reliable. There is a lot more variety of tools to learn here, such as reading, speaking, audio visuals, and etc. Love this app!

Marlene Coville Blakeslee, PA

Babel has been a very good experience I wish I could give it more time. It is fun to work on just like talking with other people in conversation.

Jasmine King New Orleans, LA

I used Babbel for a small amount of time while learning Japanese, and from my personal experience I found the layout sloppy, and didn't enjoy the lessons. It's most likely my personal opinion, but I was never very fond of the app.

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

Can become expensive fast. However, they are a great way to learn different languages in a more "serious" setting than competitors such as Duolingo. Would recommend.

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

Not good. Tried this one out when I was looking to learn Japanese (ended up using Rosetta Stone) but the interface was confusing and I found the lessons to be kind of redundant and repetitive.

Aallen Katy, TX

We tried using this app for our Europe trip. It was not as good as another app we were using. It was harder to progress through the levels with basic language. I have noticed there is an upgrade & it looks to have really improved.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Babbel has been great in helping me learn Italian. I like how they mostly teach words and phrases that are important when communicating with others, so im not just full of random knowledge.

Hannah Barth Tallahassee, FL

Babbel's app is user-friendly and easy to navigate. They have lots of languages to choose from.

Shannon Biassou Tallahassee, FL

Babbel is a great place to learn different languages. It is similar to Duolingo.

Tommy McCarlie Chicago, IL

A little more robust language training if you've graduated from DuoLingo. Give it a whirl world traveler.

Ashley Roberts Dallas, TX

Babbel has a clean layout and made learning spanish easier for me. I had a little of trouble at the beginning but It was an easy process

Amanda Montebello, CA

I used Babbel to try and learn Spanish but didn’t have the best results. It wasn’t as interactive as other programs.

had this on my cellphone for a hot minute. did three words then asked for my credit card number. I know the app said that it has in app purchases but the fine print is extremely small. also not the best program that I have come across.

Charlotte P Herriman, UT

My husband gifted me with a year of Babbel to learn some more German. I have used Duolingo in the past and found that I like the interaction I get with Duolingo over Babbel. Babbel does have the online classes with experts, it's rather expensive though for someone like me who can only use it when I have a spare moment, which isn't very often. I feel like I didn't get the money's worth. I was able to learn some new words, and you can review the lessons your learned once your membership is done. I just don't like having to pay yearly for this, and the lifetime membership is out of the budget.

Aleena Hafiz ,

You can’t do anything in this app without having to pay. This app isn’t worth it unless you have money.