HughesNet Logo

HughesNet

star star_half star_border star_border star_border

3.9

Tanner Jacobson Missoula, MT

Hughes net is the worst company I have ever gone through in my life. They are absolute con artists. Even after we paid the 350 dollar fee to cancel service and we sent all of the equipment back, we got a notice two months later saying that they had not received the equipment and charged us another 300 dollars. DO NOT put yourself through the headache of dealing with these clowns. None of their services even worked. The reception was so bad we could only stream on the netflix platform and even then it only worked half the time. My devices worked faster if I didn't connect to the wifi in the house. To get out of the contract costs over 300 dollars and then they will hit you with the most ridiculous fees you have heard of. I HATE this company.

Christine59 Ragley, LA

I have hughnet. I work from home and internet very crappie and they just went up on my bill to 140 a month.

peggy bennett Los Osos, CA

Don’t want to leave even one star. Easy to sign up . Terrible to cancel . Had to give you 10 Minute talk . Misleading

TPat Cottage Grove, OR

I called and spoke to a rep who seemed to be nice. that's how I was taken advantage of. she told me that they checked credit worthiness by addresses! anyway, because I had moved many times, she said that I would have to pay cash. My credit is good, I went ahead and paid 400.00. When the technician put up the dish in my backyard, the dish was facing some huge trees that caused interference and continuous buffering. after one month, I could not take it anymore, and they kept getting various people over the phone to get me to try different things to get it to work. I kept telling them that the dish was in the wrong place and should be moved. after many complaints they cancelled my service the same day. and I am stuck with all of the equipment.

Tval Atlanta, GA

We just cancelled our service after 18 months. Our speeds even according to the HughesNet folks were 1-3Mbps, and in the final months the service would drop out altogether so that I had to physically unplug the internet cable to reset our connection - multiple times per day! We finally found a local company that offered (and delivered) better service and speeds, and had them come out and set us up. When we called to cancel our HughesNet (non)-service we found that they had automatically signed us up for a second year-long contract and we had to pay $250 just to cancel! A fine for cancelling within the first year might be understandable but this is just spiteful. I guess they had to wring as much money out of us as they could. At least we have much better internet service now. Good riddance!

M. Johnson Adel, GA

The WiFi itself wasn't so bad. i didn't like that they use the same download speed no matter what price your paying. also my bad experience was canceling. they charge you a fee for canceling your contract. the problem is for me, it seemed my free was never going down no matter how close it was to my contact end. i ended up paying the fee i sent then all the equipment i knew of. months later they charge my card $200. staying i didn't send them everything. it turned out to be a piece on the satellite that i had to literally have someone to get tools to take it off. not to mention that YOU have to pay to ship this stuff back. why wouldn't they make site you know about that piece from the start? they are sneaky and hope you don't notice they extra charge. so now i have to payyet another shipping charge to send this part. which isn't normal. you usually just send back the modem and cables . not to mention they didn't even want to send me a box to send it back. i don't recommend this company at all

Amanda Hayes Pineville, LA

I pay over 100 a month for a week of terrible service .Companies refuse to put internet out here so we are forced to have to use hughsnet or viasat which is just as bad. Not including I pay for wwe network, peacock, Netflix and hulu. I feel I get better tv with a Walmart antenna...Dont waste ur money

Denise Urban Midland, MI

I have been battling them for months to get an unauthorized account out of my name. And they want numbers I can't have because I didn't set up the fake account. Their customer service is terrible and my mom does have their service and it is horrible and internet robbery. Do not recommend Hughesnet!

Ron Chambless Lefors, TX

Rural area with no other options is why we put up with it. All you have read is true and very frustrating however we can operate our business with it. Just don't expect streaming of any kind, I mean any kind without buffering. Want a ring, well good luck with that. Want to connect your grill to the server nope! They really suck and I look forward to the day when there are other options. They will be gone! but for now its what is available here. We use my phone as a hotspot to watch prime etc..

Jim Sills ,

The Bad... Service is expensive and slow with speeds of 2 mbps rather than 25 mbps. Lost signal in storms and 2 year contract. After completing contract, trying to cancel is a nightmare. Lastly they expect you to climb on two story house with steep roof to remove their radio transmitter or they will charge you $300. The Good... The kid I hired to climb roof did not fall.

Crystal Smith Choctaw, OK

HughesNet is a horrible company. First, when this guy came to my house to hook up the satellite, I told him that I wanted it on the ground not the roof. Well, guess what, he put it on the roof. They don't listen. Plus I barley got anything out of the deal. Every time I tried to watch anything, all it did was buffer. Havent used anything and they suck. Will never do business with them ever again. Just shady company. I know a couple of people have problems with them. Just stay away from these people

Tina H Sidney, MT

Internet cuts out and is way overpriced. Don’t let them lure you in with promos because they won’t let you leave even if your contract is up they will tell you it’s not and charge you $400 to cancel your service. They don’t care how old you are they still require you climb on your roof and dismantle the dish to send back the chip or they charge you for that too.

RON BLAKE ,

I have nothing but trouble with Hughes from day one. There is no reason to call them because they will just give you the runaround. Its only good for 2 weeks of the month and even then it is VERY slow and keep losing the wi fi. Then they want to charge you a lot of money to get out. We should a lawyer to get us out of this mess. Any one know a good lawyer, we could all chip in and save us a ton of money. I gave it 1 star only because i could not give them what they deserve, nothing.

Fearlessleader Bloomfield Hills, MI

SLOW!!! I can only recommend them if you have exhausted all other possibilities. Customer service is like dealing with ATT. In other words you will have to spend large amounts of time on the phone with someone you can barely understand. As many others have noted their long term contract is a joke. Fortunately we were finally able to get service using an ATT hotspot. This is also rather expensive but at least we can actually use the internet!

Bradley Layton Nashville, TN

I am with all the other 1 star people with they deserve zero. You will never get advertised speeds. Heck I never say download speeds faster than 750kbs. Also be mindful they will lock you into a 24month contract and charge you $370 to cancel. What's even crazier I elected buy the equipment upfront and they still get you with a contract. So between the cost of both over 1k wasted to find out your not getting the product they promised. There is hope for us rural users with Starlink. I can't wait till these people are out of business so they stop ripping people off.

CrystalRanch ,

First I got them because they said they had service in my area of chehalis. Secondly, I called multiple times with issues of it not working. I'm a business. So, this was a disaster. They could even see data used and when it wasn't. I cancelled service and they charged me a Hefty disconnect fee and threw me into collections. Absurd! You promised my business a service you couldn't deliver. I paid for my install and tried them out but they didn't care about me or anything but Contract. Thieves. Terrible company terrible customer service.

Denise Bryant Hendersonville, NC

We joined 20 years ago when you had to buy the router and satellite. There was no leasing option available at that time. We had good service until 4 years ago. I have friends in this business and they informed me Hughes Net has 1.3 million customers and not enough band width to keep everyone happy. I was told 15 years ago if I needed faster internet that they had just what I needed. We got an upgrade on the router, satellite and paid for more megabytes. A couple years later we did another upgrade and could not download movies from Direct TV. Buffering and more buffering. Then they said we could buy tokens because we were going over our limit. What limit? When we joined we were told it was unlimited.. If we wanted to download on the laptop it took 45 mins to hours. Forget gaming. They lied and said we were at 25mbps. Yes, while we were on the phone to them they were boosting our signal. I have a machine to check my upload and download speed.. As soon as we hung up upload was 1-4 and download speed was 9-15, most of the time it was closer to 9. To slow for movies or games. I was done with the 1 to 2 hr phone calls and being put on hold for 30 minutes at a time. I was paying 94./mo for what? When I called and said I wanted to DC my service. How quickly the signal went to 25 mbps. I said yes until you hang up. Oh no we don't do that. Then she asked if I would stay if they cut the price to 79./mo. for 6 months.I said no. Then she said what are you going to pay the new provider.I said less then what you're offering. She then offered 79/month for 1 year. I said why didn't you offer me these prices when I was a loyal customer for 20 yrs.? Then she said well you will have to send back the router and radio arm on the satellite after your billing cycle. I told her I bought the equipment 20 yrs ago and have the papers to prove it. I told her I just had back surgery and was not about to get on a ladder 30 ft up. She said for 100.00 they could send a technician. I said if you want the equipment then you pay to have it removed. I called back 3x before I got someone who could speak English well and read it. He came back and said it is right here in the notes that says you bought the equipment so you don't need to send it back. I asked that he put it in the notes that I called and what he found. He gave me the reference no. Oct 15 Hughes Net went into my checking and took out $320.25. I have made 3 calls already and told my story. They have all put me on continuous hold longer then 30 mins. Now I will get a lawyer for arbitration. Don't waste your money or your time. It's the worst customer service I have ever seen. They will probably be out of business in 5 years if they don't change.

NcGirl Apex, NC

We are currently an unfortunate pay customer. The following is a letter I just wrote to HughesNet. It sums up my review. I want to know the the best way to cancel my service ASAP. We have had this service since the first of October and have been overwhelmed with problems. First of all not one time did I sign a contract; Second of all i have contacted tech representives multiple times to solve our problems. PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR REFERENCE NUMBER because as soon as the chat became to complicated the tech would stop responding and end the chat; I spent well over 3 hours one evening with tech support. Finally one said turn off video settings, That seemed to "fix" the problem. I kept a check on the usuage i was very viligent in monitoring it. UNBEKNOWN to me the first month was "free" because the second month (NOVEMBER) we ran out with 2 weeks left of the month. I then upgraded to the highest amount of data you provide. I have keep everything that sucks up data OFF. We have become PRISONERS of HUGHESNET because no longer do we listen to our music, watch tv, Have the top of the line securtity system; the use of google lights... NO we have lowered our security settings to the lowest possibe settings, we no longer stream music No computer use; no ipad use and i bought an antenna to watch tv with, EVEN THOUGH we are subscribed to several different streaming channels. IT is beyond mindboggling!!!! While this service was being put in I talked to the representive about our security system; streaming channels, streaming music, etc. and was reassured it wouldn't be a problem. SURE IT IS NOT A PROBLEM if you don't USE ANY OF THE ABOVE. I will have our solider home for christmas from deployment, he will want to finally use the internet, finally play his video games, however HUGHESNET is going to make one of our military personnel MISS OUT on the opportunity of this enjoyment because with all the cut backs i have made already I am currently at less than 13gb of data left for the MONTH of December and it is currently the 11th of December that is 20days left to SQUEEZE out 13GB. WE WANT OUT OF THE CONTRACT ASAP. YOU CAN HAVE YOUR EQUPIMENT. I DON'T EXPECT A ETF IS REQUIRED DUE TO THE MISREPRESENTATION THAT interenet would be provided. also after reading that there isn't a REAL reason for data caps it is the SATELLITE companies have been pushed by others to stop capping out data. I would like a response on how to get out of this contract ASAP!!!

sandduffer Forest Lake, MN

I got Hughesnet after a hurricane hit our area. Our Suddenlink provider was rumored to be down for months. So I got this worthless package. I called and tried to cancel but the woman online said I would be charged 400 dollars for breaking my contract. This was a half-truth. You do get charged 400 dollars, but you get 300 back after the equipment is returned in the first 30 days. So, not very honest! I am now stuck in a 2-year contract. The download speed on movies on youtube is horrible. Very Frustrating. They (H.N.) suggested I get an extender to improve my signal. That cost me 50 dollars! A little better but much. Sometimes I think no service would be better than Hughesnet!

Linda Buffalo Grove, IL

We have a cabin in a rural area of WI with no broadband internet options. We decided to give HughesNet a try as they had a cancellation policy with the special package we signed up for. They came to install the satellite and modem on March 14. We experienced delay issues immediately streaming Prime videos. We contacted with concerns and service also contacted us that they saw performance issues on their end. Wisconsin issued a "stay in place" order on March 24-May 26 so the proposed service could not be completed until June. The service occurred on a day where we left to go back to our home and was not onsite to use service. I had been assured that HughesNet would take these COVID issues into consideration. We came back in July and the service was still poor. We called and complained and asked for the service to be terminated. The customer service representative suspended the service which didn't make sense to me at the time but was assured I would not be paying for the service or the cancellation fee. It is now October and we felt HughesNet should have it's equipment back so called to ask how to send it back. They said the service would then be terminated and we would pay the cancellation fee of $370.00 plus another $15 fee. They said if technical service confirmed our concern they would waive the fee. We talked to tech services and they said they would need to send a technician. This seemed a waste of time and resources so we said no please terminate the service as requested in July. They did terminate but said they would charge the cancellation fee. We asked the record reflect we disputed the claim. They have changed our credit card and we have disputed the claim with the credit card company. I told them that I was contacting the BBB about their deceptive and horrible service.

Mike Bradley Issaquah, WA

So, I live in a rural area. My current provider can only deliver 6 mbps. Very slow for my needs, but beggars can't be choosers. Today I decided beggars can be choosers, as long is there is another possible option. The other option for me was HughesNet. So I gave them a call. I was connected to a very nice customer service rep. She was able to answer most of my questions and made a very good offer for installation and internet service. I explained I wanted to share all the information with my wife and would call them back if we both agreed that was the best option. She then transferred me to her manager. He was a whiz that was able to answer every question I had in detail. I felt good about moving forward with them. However, I still wanted to discuss the issue with my wife so we could make a decision we both agreed upon. It was then that the very high pressure sales tactics began. I felt like I was trapped in a time share sales office with no doors out. He literally would not let me off the phone without making a commitment. I told him I needed to get off the phone and he said I can't let you do that. I actually felt I had no other option other than to hang up. Which I did. I will not use their service. They had the sale and high pressure tactics lost it.

Kim Sannes Colorado Springs, CO

Worst internet service ever!! I have never had such a horrible experience with an internet provider. I have a property in Brevard NC, but I live in Colorida. I was not sure what internet to use so I called Hughes Net and specifically asked about contracts etc. I was told not contract was necessary so I set up a time when I was in Brevard to get service connected. I specifically said, I have a cabin in the mountains and don't want the dish to block any views. They rescheduled and I told them it was not a time I could meet them. They said ok...not a problem...when I was not at property, they installed a huge dish in front of my deck blocking the view! I was shocked and I called the number. It took me 1.5 hours to talk to a real person. horrible horrible cutomer service. I asked them to move the dish. The internet service was slow and intermittent. I called again to find out why it was so terrible...again over 1 hour to talk to anyone and kept getting hung up on. I drove to their address that was on their website and it was an old abandoned building. Total scam company. I finally talked to someone the next day after again a very long and painful wait...I told them the service was terrible, the connection was terrible--they gave me no solution and then told me I was locked into a contract! I only had the service for a few days and could not get onto the internet. I had not signed anything and had not been told or agreed to a contract. I finally --after fighting with customer servcei on phone--that they would come move the dish so it was not in front of my deck! I was so fed up and found out about the internet provider that was a reliable provider and retunred my calls etc... When Hughes net finally came to move dish I told them I did not want their service and take the dish. I had so much trouble with tech about taking the dish...he said oh, they will make you pay if you try and cancel...He agreed to take the dish but would not take the other equipment and said I would have to wait for a box from hughes net to ship it back. I shipped the equipment that day--receipt return mail and took pictures of everything I shipped. I called --again over a nhour long wait --and finally talked to a person and argued over cancelling thieir service. The Hughes net agreed to cancel my service and said I would owe $0.00. I asked for an email and received an email with thsi confirmation of a $0 balance. That was June 28, 2020 -I received an email on August 11 stating I owed $125... I sent an email back with the attached $0 balance email confirmation and cancellation letter. I just received a credit collector document in the mail. Unbelievable...now I have to fight it out with them. But I have the documentation. This is the Worst company ever!! Comporium is the internet service to use in Brevard, NC. Stay away from HughesNet. so terrible.

Hotel CA Minneapolis, MN

Service was mediocre at best. Absolutely the WORST customer service, reps and cancelation process. You have to call in to cancel. LONG wait times to talk to a rep (in a foreign country) that can't cancel service and seems unable to reach anyone else to do it. When I told him it was bull crap, he hung up. THEN he kept calling me and hanging up over and over and over and over and over... I called hoping to get a different rep. Same guy. Refused to connect me to a supervisor. It took over 2 hours to cancel their crap service. Then I received the equipment return box/ instructions. They actually expect customers to remove the raio from the satellite dish on the roof! WTF! STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL CALIFORNIA company. GETTING RID OF THEM IS A NIGHTMARE!

Mary Basham Elkridge, MD

When I called someone by the name Chad answered I explained I need internet for my 3 kids to do online learning due to the cornovirus and the day before I had called to price what it would be and they said I'd have to pay 409.90 for installation and equipment and I asked since no one else offers internet can they wave the fee he laughs says no if someone told you that yesterday I'm gone tell you the same thing and since this is your 2nd call its gone cost you more because we only offer discounts and promotions to 1st time callers so if you call back after this your going to dig yourself a deeper hole. This is the rudest person without any compassion I am very discouraged with this company don't recommend them to anyone. Now I have no way to provide my children with Internet

Ra Howell Springtown, TX

Hughes Net has signs in our neighborhood for high speed internet. I called and explained that we had poor signal from our current provider. I was told that if the satellite did not work we could get a full refund after returning the equipment within 30 days. The installer also told me if I was not satisfied we would get a full refund one the equipment was returned. From the time it was installed it did not carry enough strength to support even Netflix. We returned the equipment in the box Hughes Net provided before the 30 days. But we did not get a refund. After calling Hughes Net and talking to several representatives (and being hung up on many times) we were told that they do not have a return policy like that and never have. I disputed the charge with my credit card company and was told that Hughes Net claims it is a legitimate charge. It was a terrible experience and I had to eat the cost.

Kathy Mitchell Reidsville, NC

Beginning in 3/2020, our router failed and we had another installed which is when the problems began. A refurbished router was installed but he technician didn't do his job and the router remained in the name of the previous owner. We contacted HughesNet so many times but nothing has been solved. We were told that we had to closed out our current account and open another for which we were charged $108.88????? We feel that this was not our fault and HughesNet should not have charged us for this. Also at the same time, we were charged a termination fee of $100.00 for our phone line (which we didn't need any longer and we were told that they would waive this fee........THEY DIDN'T. Our bank account was overcharged for this $100. today. Again, we called and was told a supervisor would call....NOT. We haven't heard from anyone! There are too many issues to put in words but be forewarned.....don't get involved with HughesNet or you will definitely pay the price!

Allison Rochester, MN

I lived in a remote area that no other providers would reach. Upon obtaining the services I was told it would be a year contract, I then received the email receipt that stated a 24month term in the fine print at the bottom. At the time I wasn’t too concerned but after the home owner and myself got in a terrible break up I needed to switch or cancel the services. The first time I called I was told the account or billing could be charger to the address owner. We weren’t speaking at the time so they took my name and card off the file and sent a paper bill to him which he paid. I then two months later get a very hostile text from my ex’s mother saying I needed to cancel the services even though they’d been using and paying for it for two months. I called and was then told a completely different story and that I was to buy out my contract of $400 or switch the services to my new address that I live that. I asked again if it was possible to get the contract name switched and “Zoe” in customer services said it was with the authorization of the new party. I finally got my ex to agree and called back not even two hours later to which I spoke with Frank D. I explained the situation and asked to change the name to Nathan under the account and that because of his brain injury his mother will provide the details and authorization. He then tells me this isNR possible!!????? That my only option is to keep the account or now buy out the modem for $398. EXCUSE ME? Not to mention every time I’ve called the story has changed. I should not have to keep these services under my name and effect my credit when I was informed twice prior that I wouldn’t have too. No one at the company even tries to be helpful. They also seem to lake zero compassion. I understand contracts or contracts but so are leases and people sub lease all the time. If I have someone willing and able to take the account who actually lives at the address of the services then this shouldn’t be an issue. Instead this company seems to only want its money. Absolute worst customer service department I’ve EVER dealt with. It would be one thing if the services actually worked worth the $130 they make you pay a month too. Honestly I’m just very disappointed in the overall service and poor business etiquette from every person, even management at this company.

Resident of Earth Cedar Hill, MO

HughesNet price gouging rural internet users who have on real alternatives! HughesNet Internet service is horrible. Intermittent, poor quality and grossly overly priced when compared to other providers. Approximately every 4 months or so they attempt to jack my monthly payments up $40.00 dollars or so and I have to call and complain to get prices back down to the original agreed amount. I imagine this is standard practice they attempt with everyone, and get away with on some people who just pay their credit card statements without checking over them. I even purchased the equipment in an effort to keep my monthly bill as reasonable as possible , but they continuously raise my monthly payments! Compared to other similar services Hughes Net is a complete rip off!

amber clemons McGehee, AR

I would rate it a -5 if I could. Service is HORRIBLE! I waited for my contract to end and cancelled. I was asked to return my router and a piece attached to the satellite ON MY ROOF! My husband works out of state and I am extrememly busy with my job in nursing. Especially right now with Covid-19. I am unable to get the part from the roof but they were told they are more than welcome to come get it. They told me that was my responsibility and I should have hired someone to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sent back the router because I was able to get to it. I do not want to keep a useless part I just had to PAY for! I would hate to know I was elderly and on a fixed income! I had to pay over $200 due to that part because they sent me to collections and they want me to hire someone to climb on my roof and get it!

Tim Ogden Webb City, MO

Our AT and T internet is poor. They called with a special deal on satellite internet and said it would use my Direct TV dish. When they sent the email confirmation, it was HughesNet and the deal was nearly twice the cost promised. Plus it uses a different dish. I called HughesNet to cancel immediately and after 15 minutes on the phone with them telling me I could not cancel. I had to get angry with them on the phone and they eventually relented and put my installation "on hold" for a week if I changed my mind. They still charged me $100 for the installation they did not do which I feel is fraudulent. AT&T is partially to blame for the bait and switch. If I had known it was HughesNet I would have never agreed because we have used them before and the service was poor.

Corey E Wilkinson

They are helpful but service is horrible. We cannot stream videos so can never have Netflix. We cant be on 2 devices at once. That said it's the best service in our area. We live 1 mile from a major road. I'm very disappointed with this service. We are unable to get comcast. That's is 250 ft away on the end of our street and they said we cant get their service neither

Rachel Linden, CA

Hughesnet sucks. Sometimes, I cant even search things. I use it for homework and half the time I cannot get it to load my schools website. My data is use up within the first week of the cycle and it costs way more than any other internet. I also have hughesnet voice because I do not have access to any other land line phone. The phone sucks too. It has a delay when it does work, but most of the time the phone is so staticy I cannot hear anyone on it. I might as well not have a home phone or internet. Hopefully I never have to call 911 for myself or my 5 young children, they would not be able to hear me. I do not recommend it.

Carolyn Beebout Nashville, TN

I needed internet desperately for my son for school. They made me agree to a two years contract took first month out and everything. When the guy arrived to install it he wasn’t able to. So I have no internet period Nothing at all and they are keeping my money for a reason I don’t know why because I don’t have their services and I would appreciate my money back. If I don’t have the service I should get my money back. It is that simple. I don’t like rating no one or even doing this but I work hard for my money and would just simply appreciate it back if your company can’t provide service and you doing a credit check messed with my score as well. I am not happy at all I just wanted internet for my son and all this has happened. Have a Blessed day

h๏shi Sebring, FL

I've had this service since 2017, and as I am writing this I've been on hold for about an hour waiting to cancel. I've never been more excited to cancel a subscription in my life! If you've read the others reviews, I'm sure you're already aware that this whole company is just a scam that traps you into a 2 year long contract and that early cancellation costs $400 dollars. I have the lowest plan and they sign you up for automatic payments so you're unaware if they're charging you more than you signed up for--- which is hilarious because their service NEVER WORKS. I've had this piece of trash for two years and whenever I'm home I simply use my hotspot or something.. I even bought a WiFi booster to see if it'd help but nope! Simple advice: DON'T GET THIS SERVICE. Simple, right?

Lisa Ulness Phoenix, AZ

I just signed up for there wifi service yesterday but after more thought and due to all the hidden costs I called today to cancel. They were 59 People ahead of me in line to do the chat to cancel my order which will probably take me three days to get to talk to anyone. I called the phone number and I was on hold for 33 minutes and then transferred and I could no longer hold because I had a business meeting to attend. I sent an Email to cancel my service and I’m not sure if they will ever get back to me. The sales rep continually tried to upsell me and the prices that they advertise on their website or not the true price they’re much more. It seems like a very shady company.

Ben Placerville, CA

HughesNet "provides," hands down, the worst "internet service" I've experienced since dial-up. Honestly, the reliability of service was better with dial-up. I only rate this service slightly above because the speeds are often better. Note that I said often. Speeds are also often comparable with those of a dial-up connection. (Remember waiting for an image to load, top to bottom, pixel line by pixel line? Yeah, that happens.) And the service often cuts in and out - like really often - like throughout the day, every day - and often drops off for longer period, sometimes hours at a time. If there is a storm in Arizona, we don't have internet access in northern California. Yeah, I'm not joking. Streaming: When streaming (short) videos, very, very rarely will they play continuously without interruption; movies, never. Periodic pausing to reload is the norm. HD does not exist. Sub-SD is the norm. Sometimes a movie/video will never re-buffer and I'll be forced to give up. I will say that their customer service has been ok. They can't fix the problems, but it's not their fault. All this, and at what price? It's expensive for a quality service. And this is far from a quality service. In summary, I would like to convey the severity of the frustration and misery that this service causes me on a daily basis. Alas, we have no cell signal where we live and this is the only ISP option. Some days, I'm really not sure it's worth it. I beg you, please, do not sign up for HughesNet "internet service."

Jared Starnes Chicago, IL

There is really not much past thier introductory period that I liked about the service. At that time it worked great. Currently, in the Corona virus issue there service has dwindled. My wife is a college professor and if forced to go all online. We had to have Fidelity internet installed for her to provide the level of support her students deserve. Hughsnet was unwilling to wave our contract cancellation fee and would not refund the last bill amount. They, would only offer to suspend the services for 3 months. I was not allowed to talk to a supervisor. I would never recommend Huesnet service to anyone in the future.

Nicholas Genes Los Angeles, CA

I would like to say it was terrible but living in the middle of nowhere with no other options, this got the job done. No other company had options for internet. Slow but still useable

Michael Curry ,

If I could go lower I certainly would! They told me on our first phone call there would be a 7 day Grace. And which we would not get charged $400 to cancel our service we would also be refunded are $132 that we put up front for installation which was supposed to be free but was supposed to go towards our bill. 2 days later I called to cancel the service since the 5G decided not to work and the 2G was working as slow as molasses running uphill. I was hung up on by their automated service three different times then even a worker hung up on me saying they dropped the call or what not after talking to someone else they agreed to reset my service and make sure it was as fast as I could be it worked that night however after last night of it working pretty decently it decided to put her out throughout the early morning hours and completely sucked yet again today so I cancelled it. I have a recording that is going on YouTube and which shows they still charged us half of the fee they did not charge us for the termination fee however they only gave back 60 some-odd dollars instead of the hundred and thirty plus that they charged the service sucks their speed suck their workers suck their automated service sucks and the complete con artists do not go with this service.

Ashley Peterson , IL

Hughesnet and century link were the only available service providers in my area when I recently moved into my house. Due to pricing, I went with hughesnet as it was cheaper for the same service. I regret ever thinking this was a good idea. My first call was great! They gave me every discount available. However, after getting it installed, I had issues the very same day. I called to see what we could do to avoid cancelling. The customer service rep I talked to transferred me to tech support which she offered for free, but informed me that a call to tech support was usually $120+. After sitting on the phone with tech support for LITERALLY two hours, the only "support" he offered was turning our computers off and back on again, and uninstalling and reinstalling our web browser. The most BASIC fixes of all time. I informed him we had already tried these fixes but he wanted to stay on the phone while we did this. I'm very glad I received this call to tech support for free because the fixes that he offered were not worth even $10. After a couple of days of trying to put up with the WORST internet service I've ever experienced in my entire life, I called to cancel. This was within 10 days of setting up the service, but my cancellation fee was going to be $400+. I filed a complaint with the BBB and all of a sudden they were excited to offer me a $0 cancellation fee if I kept the service for the remainder of the month, and ONLY because the customer service rep who sold me the service forgot to ask me what I was going to primarily use the service for and how many hours a day, which would have resulted in me not signing up for their service in the first place. Therefore I took this route. Once my service was cancelled, they shipped me a box to return the equipment (which WE had to uninstall OURSELVES) and were warned that if there were ANY damages to the equipment, we would be charged (due to the awfulness of everything else with their service, I'm sure this would include damages in transit as well). Also, if they received the equipment later than 30 days, i would be charged for the equipment. The box took about 3-4 weeks to arrive. In this time, I received a $71 bill for my month of service, which is fine. However, the equiment is currently in the mail to be returned. I decided to check my bank account today and noticed an UNAUTHORIZED charge for $322. I received absolutely NO notice that I was going to be charged. At the very least I expected an email to inform me that I was going to be charged, or even a letter in the mail. I've received neither. I'm so fed up with their awful customer service and service in general, I would absolutely NEVER recommend hughesnet to my worst enemies. I read reviews before getting hughesnet and thought, "it cant be THAT bad, I'll give it a shot." DON'T DO IT. Dont make the same mistake I did. Spend the extra $10 a month. Do not even consider hughesnet. I'm not exaggerating when I say its literally the WORST decision ive ever made. I regret a handful of things in my life but absolutely nothing more than trying out hughesnet. Save your frustration and your money in the long run. Literally the biggest scam. Id rate them negative 100 stars if I could.

Terry Medina Hohenwald, TN

Started Hughesnet Gen 5 account summer of 2017. Account required automatic payment and purchase of equipment. Have never had good coverage and streaming has always been a problem. It took until November 2019 for them to discover that the system had the wrong location and after that they found that the software called out the wrong satellite. Billing would not credit me for any of the time that settings were wrong. Streaming was slightly better but still not great. Many hours spent on the phone with troubleshooting. All calls had to be made late night since that was only time reception was good enough to complete the troubleshooting they required on my end. Finally, cancelled service effective Feb 3, 2020 but since they had already billed me they will not refund any of the amount. They say it has been cancelled but will be running until Feb 28, 2020. Worst service and customer service I have ever encountered. Never met the Gen 5 speed or access that was promised .

Charlie Kimball Eugene, OR

From day one, promises were made that didn't pan out. We were told we could stream movies and the 10GB plan would be enough. So, we had the service installed at our vacation home. The first time there, slow to no service, buffering, no connectivity. We called and were told it was because we had used our data already. Really?!!! We hadn't even used it yet! Same story over the months. Every time we show up to our vacation home it is a battle royal to get the thing to work. Finally I called and asked to be cancelled. I didn't feel that I should be charged a cancellation fee given the issues we had. The person was rude and I asked for a supervisor. "No one here can help you" was the response. Then she hung up. Next thing I knew we received an email with a $300 bill and a thank you for being a customer and that they were sorry we were cancelling! These guys are crooks plain and simple. Whatever you do, don't sign up for the HughesNet plan. These guys need to wake up and smell the coffee. By the way, a one star is too good for these folks but unfortunately it is the lowest rating I can give them.

Roger Dee Lakebay, WA

I swear this company's Mission Statement is LIE, CHEAT AND STEAL. No company can be that incompetent without intent. Do not believe anything they tell you. I don't think it would help, because they don't care... but if I had to do it again I would record every phone call, get every name and employee ID and reference number and replay them on Youtube. Otherwise it is just unbelievable. I will save you a long, sad and expensive story but suffice it to say that if you sign up with this company I promise you that you will not get what you ask for. Just a WARNING. The rest is on you. P.S. In all reality my true rating would be -5 (that is negative five just to be perfectly clear).

Nicole Amsler Corning, NY

We live in an area where high speed internet was not available when we first arrived, so we got HughesNet internet to fill the gap--it seemed to be the most highly rated dish internet service. In hindsight, we should have just paid the extra fees for unlimited phone data/hotspot connections, because the internet from HughesNet was patchy and slow, even during "fast" periods. The worst part of our experience, though, was upon attempting to end our service after almost two years of being on-time customers. Unbeknownst to us, when you cancel your HughesNet, they expect you to return a part of the satellite dish that *a professional* installed **on your roof**. If you fail to do this, you incur almost $400 in extra fees. In our case, we did venture onto our roof, once we found a friend with a ladder high enough and safe enough to make the attempt, and returned the requested part. However, we were then informed by HughesNet that there is apparently a "108 day" rule, where if you return the part after 108 days, you forfeit your $400. Never mind that you performed their extremely unsafe request and climbed onto your roof to retrieve their equipment, never mind that they now have this equipment in their inventory, never mind that you may have done this within 113 days, and never mind that you were never once informed about the 108 day policy. They are keeping your $400. Frankly, I am appalled at such a company policy. I will never again consider HughesNet as a viable option, and I would never recommend to anyone that they should go with this service for their internet. Please, save your time, money, and safety and choose unlimited data through your phone service provider.

Clayton G Brooksville, FL

Had it 10 years ago. Got it again hoping they had improved but It was horrible then and now 10 years later it's the same thing slow speeds data gone in a flash no kidding couple days maybe a week of streaming video and Poof data gone. Not 24 hours a day either couple hours a day. Only me and wife here. Wife works full time I'm home alone most times so not drained by having a bunch of people on line. Does nothing but buffer while streaming or just does nothing and keeps saying no internet connection. Days I can barely even go on the internet to shop or browse. If it rains it goes out, if its thinking about raining it goes out. I have it hardwired with lan line from tv to router direct and I don't use wifi expect for smartphone, still slow, buffers drops off, no service. Complete junk. Save your money unless it's your ONLY OPTION. I'm in an area that has 2 choices this service and 1 other. Looks like I'm heading to the other It's to expensive data gone in a flash. If you like to watch Netflix etc it's ok after 2am for a few hours. Use 2 cans and a string better then this stuff. I don't generally leave reviews but this service is HORRIBLE in my opinion. I'm getting ready to drop it and eat there $400 fee for cancellation of service before 2 years time period. I'm 1 month in and next month I'm cancelling it. Its worth it to me to pay the $400 to cancel rather then pay $60+ per month for 24 months end up paying more to stay with subpar service. It reminds me of old cell service expensive buyouts for cancellation of contact, data gone in flash, only good at late hours in the early am.

Jim in GR Grand Rapids, MI

I had HughesNet a few years ago and hated them because they were just a LITTLE BIT faster than dial up. After going elsewhere, and learning they had improved, I signed up again three months ago. Their current TV ad (and the salesman I spoke with) indicate a download speed of 25Mbps. Being very unhappy with them again, I ran internet speed tests every single day for the last month. The AVERAGE download speed was 0.85Mbps. When I called to complain, they say I use it too much (even on the first day of a new monthly cycle, and even though I use it less than I projected when I spoke with the salesman). I cancelled HughesNet 5 days ago, just before the next billing cycle. HughesNet charged the next billing cycle to my bank account anyway. I only wish I could give them 0 stars instead of 1.

Larry Dunn Gurnee, IL

We have Gen 5 at our vacation home. We live 5 hours away. We use HughesNet for WiFi connection during the winter to maintain our heat through our Nest thermostat. Since 11/28/19 we have not been able to connect. Call HughsNet support and they have no assistance unless there is someone at the home to observe what lights are on the modem. They cannot do anything such as reboot the modem remotely. My internet at our year round home is supplied by Comcast. I can reset modem, power it down, including our router through a phone app or over the phone. It is not necessary for anyone to be in the home. I will look for another supplier.

Marty Britton, MI

The 25 megabytes they advertise I may get a few spikes of it a day normally it's less than one megabyte I've called and complained and talked to many different people that come up with many different excuses they keep you on the phone till you get a couple of good spikes and then tell you they fixed it it's a total rip-off I don't know anybody that is satisfied with it I can't watch YouTube download any streaming videos half the time the pages won't even load then they say what you have too many devices hooked up well I'm not using any other devices and that's a whole idea of getting 25 megabytes anyway is 4 many devices it just total BS the commercials make me sick when I hear what a fraud they do

Lisa Partlow, VA

Literally just got off the phone. Wouldn't give me a price till i agree to a credit check. Well not me, i ain't falling for it. We dont do contracts no more, and yes the representative was trying everything to get me set it up. So after reading reviews and seen the prices they offer with the speeds they're giving and the allowance. Nope i stick with what we got. We live in a area that is limited to internet services. We using ROKU and alot of free live tv/movies and apps. Using my mobile hotspot on our phones and its been great, but every now and then it lags. So we just deal with it. $120 for cell phone $40 for SLING TV $160 total for my set up, phone, tv, internet, no contracts on nothing. I stick with this. Come on hughesnet, get with the program. Contracts are the past, people dont like it.

GS Grady, AL

Recently cancelled services from Hughes Net because of inconsistent service and slow speeds. Was told that it was not required to send old equipment back to them because it was in fact old and they even suggested that maybe that's why their service didn't work right. It was an awful experience dealing with them. Well, after a time they automatically deducted the price of the equipment that they had said DO NOT RETURN. They did put the money back in the account once we called and held their feet to the fire for their error and proved that they had in fact said not to send it back. The draft caused a chain reaction they would not accept responsibility for and they would not pay for the fees that were a result of the chain reaction. My opinion? Hughes Net has sorry customer service and isn't worth the money spent for their sorry internet services.