HughesNet Logo

HughesNet

4.8

LAST UPDATED: November 29th, 2021

HughesNet is an internet service provider committed to making its customers' internet experiences the best for more than 40 years. This long history of service has made HughesNet the largest satellite internet network in the country.

HughesNet internet offers download speeds up to 25 Mbps from a satellite network. It focuses on residential internet services.

HughesNet has a great reputation for customer service and has a high rate of customer retention. This reputation helps HughesNet stand out among their competition within the industry.

As a satellite internet provider, HughesNet is often contrasted with its competitor, Viasat (formerly known as Exede Internet).

View Customer HughesNet Reviews

The Good

• Satellite Network
  • Plan Options and Pricing
  • Nationwide Availability
  • Bonus Data

Satellite Network

The technology delivering high-speed internet plans is constantly improving. Consumers can choose several options from their internet providers, such as dial-up service, DSL, cable internet, and fiber-optic broadband.

HughesNet internet has introduced a new type of network using satellite technology. The HughesNet satellite is more than 22,000 miles in space and will receive a signal from the customer's computer.

However, some customers complain that satellite internet service has room for improvement, and they struggle to get a signal. Being at the forefront of internet evolution comes with the risk of service issues, so make sure that satellite internet is the best option for you.

Plan Options and Pricing

HughesNet has one consistent speed across all of its plans: 25 Mbps. The actual speed experienced may vary depending on other external factors. The rates vary based on how much monthly data is included and your area:

• 10 GB – $49.99
  • 20 GB – $59.99
  • 30 GB – $89.99
  • 50 GB – $139.99

However, these rates don't include equipment, which customers pay a monthly fee to lease.

Nationwide Availability

Most broadband ISPs are smaller companies that offer their networks to a focalized region. They generally operate in a few states or in metropolitan areas. Few companies offer widespread service.

HughesNet's satellite service spans the entire country. No matter where you live, you can always access the network. This is a benefit for customers who may move often because they can be confident that their internet will travel with them.

Bonus Data

HughesNet has restrictive data caps, but the good news is customers have access to a bonus 50 GB of data per month when accessed between 2 a.m. and 8 a.m. If you plan on surfing late in the evening or early in the morning, this could be beneficial.

The Bad

• Limited Internet Packages
  • Long Contract
  • Slower Speeds
  • Data Allowance
  • Equipment Purchase or Lease

Limited Internet Packages

Most ISPs offer their customers a large selection of internet plans. These packages have a variety of data speeds and features.

This is not the case for any HughesNet plan. They offer limited service plans depending on your area. Pricing also varies depending on your zip code and the data allowance you choose.

If you want to cancel your service contract with HughesNet after installation, expect a termination fee. You will have to return the equipment by mail.

Long Contract

HughesNet's internet service requires a two-year contract, as do some of its competitors in the satellite internet industry. If you want to test how it compares to other broadband internet providers, you'll be locked into a contract for years unless you would like to pay an early termination fee.

However, HughesNet guarantees its price for 12 months, which could be appealing for those who are wary of the notorious price hikes with many service plans.

If you're seeking a month-to-month contract, HughesNet isn't for you.

Slower Speeds

HughesNet's broadband speed is very slow in the industry. Some companies have higher speeds closer to 1 Gbps, but more commonly, the competitive speeds are lower: 75-300 Mbps. HughesNet only offers its customers 25 Mbps. This may be a deterrent if you need a higher download speed.

The upload speeds with HughesNet are not easy to find on their website. This is one of the most frequent customer complaints, and many say they switched from HughesNet to a high-speed internet plan.

The high latency of satellite internet has many users complaining that they struggle to get a signal to their devices. Others say that when they run a speed test they receive a slow speed much lower than their advertised plan. Your devices communicate with the satellite service with a brief half-second delay that makes real-time online gaming impossible.

If you are looking for faster speeds, you may need to look elsewhere.

Data Allowance

HughesNet's data cap could be another downside for potential customers. Other internet service providers also set a data limit for their customers in order to better control their network speeds, but these companies normally don't have limits that are set so low. Some companies provide their customers with unlimited data.

HughesNet's data caps are between 10-50 GB, which limits their customers significantly. However, once you use your data allowance, you can still stay connected at a slower speed free of additional charge. HughesNet only slows down data until the next billing cycle.

HughesNet also has data saver technology that moderates the amount of data used when streaming videos so that your data lasts for a longer period of time.

Equipment Purchase or Lease

If you choose one of HughesNet's internet plans, you can pay upfront to purchase the HughesNet gateway modem, which comes with built in Wi-Fi. Otherwise, you'll have to lease the modem for a monthly fee. The modem is required for HughesNet service. Customers living in rural areas might decide the modem is worth the upfront money.

When initially starting an internet service contract with HughesNet, customers will schedule a technician to install the equipment. Some deals include free installation. Others may charge an installation fee.

The Bottom Line

HughesNet uses broadband satellite to bring its customers a connection. Its satellite network creates a pathway between the customer's computer and the HughesNet servers through a satellite that is thousands of miles up in space.

The speeds currently available through this network are very slow at only 25 Mbps. While this is low compared to high-speed internet, it is much faster than dial-up and may be your best option in a rural area.

Consumers interested in high speed may want to consider other internet options if available in their area, like cable or fiber-optic internet.

HughesNet service options also have little variety. HughesNet would be a good option for customers who live in remote locations, want a reliable connection, and don't mind slower internet speeds.

Call our recommended rep over at HughesNet below.

1.4

Wanderawake Rogers, AR

This is the worst and the most expensive internet I've ever had. It is very hard to stream anything, and forget trying to upload. They charge me twice as much as any other service would and they deliver absolutely nothing they promise. And if you want to contact them about anything be prepared to be on the phone for at least two hours while they force you to do what you thought was their job. I would give them zero stars if I could.

Judy Herring Elgin, SC

This company is the worse. The price is ridiculous for what they offer. Working from home, I was late on half of my reports because of the constant buffering. Had to go into the office to work. Technician looked like a slob. Smoking cigarettes' by my opened garage door and the smoke came into my home. Took him 3hrs to install internet. Would do one task and stop and smoke or on the phone. Had his umbrella so when he smoked he had somewhere to site.

Denise Bryant Hendersonville, NC

We joined 20 years ago when you had to buy the router and satellite. There was no leasing option available at that time. We had good service until 4 years ago. I have friends in this business and they informed me Hughes Net has 1.3 million customers and not enough band width to keep everyone happy. I was told 15 years ago if I needed faster internet that they had just what I needed. We got an upgrade on the router, satellite and paid for more megabytes. A couple years later we did another upgrade and could not download movies from Direct TV. Buffering and more buffering. Then they said we could buy tokens because we were going over our limit. What limit? When we joined we were told it was unlimited.. If we wanted to download on the laptop it took 45 mins to hours. Forget gaming. They lied and said we were at 25mbps. Yes, while we were on the phone to them they were boosting our signal. I have a machine to check my upload and download speed.. As soon as we hung up upload was 1-4 and download speed was 9-15, most of the time it was closer to 9. To slow for movies or games. I was done with the 1 to 2 hr phone calls and being put on hold for 30 minutes at a time. I was paying 94./mo for what? When I called and said I wanted to DC my service. How quickly the signal went to 25 mbps. I said yes until you hang up. Oh no we don't do that. Then she asked if I would stay if they cut the price to 79./mo. for 6 months.I said no. Then she said what are you going to pay the new provider.I said less then what you're offering. She then offered 79/month for 1 year. I said why didn't you offer me these prices when I was a loyal customer for 20 yrs.? Then she said well you will have to send back the router and radio arm on the satellite after your billing cycle. I told her I bought the equipment 20 yrs ago and have the papers to prove it. I told her I just had back surgery and was not about to get on a ladder 30 ft up. She said for 100.00 they could send a technician. I said if you want the equipment then you pay to have it removed. I called back 3x before I got someone who could speak English well and read it. He came back and said it is right here in the notes that says you bought the equipment so you don't need to send it back. I asked that he put it in the notes that I called and what he found. He gave me the reference no. Oct 15 Hughes Net went into my checking and took out $320.25. I have made 3 calls already and told my story. They have all put me on continuous hold longer then 30 mins. Now I will get a lawyer for arbitration. Don't waste your money or your time. It's the worst customer service I have ever seen. They will probably be out of business in 5 years if they don't change.

Melisa Cronin Fort McCoy, FL

We signed up for hughsnet. Bought all the equipment and began our monthly plan...the service is awful bearly any signal. When we complained about constant buffering they gave us "data tokens" which never came to thru. We rold them we would be moving when we got the service they said no problem..we moved brought our equipment and made an appointment to install at the new house. After arguing about the price of the move install it was set at $99 plus our regular monthly bill for a total of$159. When they charged our bill for that month they charged us $ 441. Thankfully they didnt over draft our account but needless to say we were shocked and upset. After calling and again arguing with customer service we had the difference returned. We then asked why our data was already down to 20% they informed us that our $60 a month plan only allots for 20 hrs of streaming 20 hrs for $60 is absolutely ridiculous!!DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!! Its terrible service for a terrible price and we will be switching immediatly!!

Nicholas Krasny CA

Horrible. I have pages of notes from calling in. I get speeds around 7 on average. Constant buffering and my data mysteriously disappeared 4 days into the new month. They are real fast to sell you more. No kids no gaming … not watching movies 24 hours a day yes they find a way to burn through my new data as fast as possible. You call in and it’s a 45 minute conversation change this change that nothing ever works with them. If you call again you’ll get another guy to tell you to change it a different way. Unfortunately in our area they’re about the only choice and they damn know it. Waiting for Starlink to get on board. My call to disconnect HughesNet and get their crap off my roof will be one of the best days of my life.

Jordan Brock FL

Absolutely horrible company. I was initially told by two separate sales reps that my throttled speed would be no lower than 3Mbps, and it ended up barely being 1Mbps. Malconfigured updates pushed to the router required two service visits to my home to replace the router, which they tried to charge me for (but I refused). Connectivity was a constant problem. Finally, they ended up cancelling my account without notice for an alleged "Terms of Service" violation, without explaining any specifics at all, and after 10 calls to customer service I have been unable to get any kind of manager to speak with. Stay far, far away from Hughes.

Rene Vanzant Mansfield, LA

This is the worse company to ever retain internet service from. the representative during installation i wanted to work from home. He never mentioned once mention with the hughesnet service i wouldn't be able to work once it was discover through the company i was attempting to work for . After telling me to return the equipment inside and out to climb on my roof and get down something that was installed by the technician. I was also told that if i don't send it back with the other equipment that i would be billed an equipment fee of $200-$300. That is not safe extremely dangerous and unprofessional. Something needs to be done. This is not just unjust but it's down right wrong!

juanhbanda El Arenal, JAL

The already slow service becomes unacceptably slow at peak hours, which makes evident that hughesnet has way too many customers: It reminds me of earlier AOL who went bankrupt when consumers discovered that that provider had sold many times more than what their equipment was capable of serving

Brian Tew Houston, TX

Awful experience, cancelled satellite within a few weeks of installation. Hughes net continued to charge me even though the only access would have been through satellite. Dishonest, takes advantage of senior citizens. They make more money by this type of dishonest dealing. Pure thievery.

Scott Spielman Fairborn, OH

If there is ANY other option for rural internet in your location go that route. I have been dealing with this company for 14 days now trying to get my Father's internet restored, which was suspended due to what they perceived as fraud. So, if you pay your Hughesnet account with two or more different credit cards be prepared to have your service held hostage! I will never EVER be a Hughesnet Subscriber as long as I live. This is the Absolute worst company and customer service I have ever dealt with in my life!

Mary Brandmeyer Mason, IL

I had to use my hotspot in order to get any type of service. I was paying an extra $35 a month for hotspot along with $99 a month for HughesNet for 23 months. When I tried to cancel I was informed I would have a cancellation fee, what! So I paid over $2,300 for 23 months of non service and could not get out of the contract. WORST COMPANY EVER!!!!! Their customer service is so unprofessional and foreign so it is next to impossible to understand. I was told that because I said that this is BS he would hang up on me. Honesty is the next policy but HughesNet is not honest about their connectivity based on the actual service and the commercials they present.

Ashley M Gaston, SC

If I had a choice of a different internet service I would in a heart beat! The customer service is rude and will argue with you if you have an issue. I called about just 3-4 months of having service that my bill keeps going up as it’s not been what I was told it was going to be when setting up service and the guy wanted to argue with me telling me that everyone pays taxes….needless to say I have worked with an internet/tv/phone company before and we ALWAYS told the customer how much their bill will be with taxes. If you have any kind of credits on your account they do not tell you when they will come off until the bill comes out and it’s sky high. Also, you cannot see what your bill is until it comes out of your bank account if you have it on autopay and apparently if you take it off of autopay you have to pay extra. 8 months of having this crappy internet I’m paying over $100….my tv bill isn’t even this much. The only thing I can do really with this internet is look on my phone can’t really stream anything on my tv without it constantly stopping or being pixelated. I wish we had something else to get in my area!

richard stevens Lava Hot Springs, ID

It does not work!!!! If I could have rated it zero, I would have. The sales department represented that it would work in my area, but it did not. Not even a little bit. Could not even open simple web pages. Certainly no TV or complex internet processes. I could not do my work from home as they represented I could. When I called to cancel the service, they required the cancellation fee even though it did not work as represented. Fortunately, they did not have my current credit card on file. I would not give them a card to draw on. I will not pay this fee given that it did not work as represented for me. I am fortunate enough to be in a position to not care about the credit implications and will not pay this as a matter of principle. THIS IS A BAD SERVICE FROM A BAD COMPANY WITH TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. I have never written a negative review of any company or service in my life. THIS ONE DESERVES IT!!!! DO NOT SIGN UP!!!

peggy bennett Los Osos, CA

Don’t want to leave even one star. Easy to sign up . Terrible to cancel . Had to give you 10 Minute talk . Misleading

1 day ago

Katie Meixsell Winston-Salem, NC

Installation was no issue, the tech was knowledgeable and efficient. Off the bat I noticed the internet was slow. I only had 1 computer, 1 cell phone and 1 smart TV so I know I was not overloading the system. Any time I had a minor rainstorm my internet would go out. When I'd call to inquire I was told that the weather in my area was affecting it. If my internet went out and the weather in my area was normal, they would tell me it was the weather from which the internet was being picked up from across the country. After running my own tests to check my speed and calling to inquire about it being so slow, I was told I was using more data than I had on my plan. I upgraded my plan to include more data, ran the tests a month later and it was equally as slow. Fast forward to when I needed to move and cancel my service. It was 2 months early so I had to pay the cancelation fee to get out of my contract a few months early (around $200). I was instructed to send my equipment back and told they would be sending a box to mail it back in. I was already moving to a new address so I provided them with THAT address to send the box to. After a month with no box received I called again. They didn't know where it was. CSR informed me she would send another. 3 weeks later, still no box. I call again. CSR doesn't know where the box went... informs me they are sending another. I express my concern that I'll be charged for my equipment if I can not send it back. They insured me I would not be. 3 weeks later I am missing $320 from my bank account (6/16). I call in a panic (this was essentially my entire checking account at the time) and the CSR was confused and said he would attempt to send another box and told me if I didn't get it by a certain date to go get my own box and postage and I'd be reimbursed. He also let me know as long as I got them the equipment by the next billing cycle I'd be instantly refunded on the day of billing (7/16). I did receive my box this time and the very same day sent my equipment and kept my tracking #. I called again on (7/12) to make sure it had been received and I'd be refunded on the date of the next billing cycle... CSR informed me the equipment was received and refund was initiated. On (7/17) I still had received no refund. I called to inquire and CSR asked for my tracking #. She put me on hold for 5 min. She came back and told me she had initiated the refund and it would take about 7 days to get to my bank and if I needed it faster I needed to call my bank. This has been by far the WORST experience with any tech company I've ever used. I will be making a point to tell anyone and everyone not to use them. I will be taking legal action of I am not refunded in full for my equipment within the next 5-7 days.

Vicky Gauer Driftwood, TX

I moved from rural area to a Wilderness Area where internet options were extremely limited. I was a customer for two years, but my adult children thought I should be able to stream to enjoy more viewing options. I resigned with HughesNet with a more expensive data plan. For the first month, it was great! I could watch and stream everything. Then it abruptly changed. I was back to not being able to stream anything. I called repeatedly and even had a technician come to my house to check my equipment. He basically told me because of where I lived, I was "pretty much SOL". After numerous calls - with no success - I called to cancel my service. The person assured me it had to do with my settings and had me watch on my computer while he made changes to my account so I would have "unlimited" data. I didn't understand why these changes hadn't already been made to my account, but he assured me my streaming capabilities would be greatly enhanced. They weren't. I finally called to cancel my account in order to switch to another (more expensive ) provider. When I called to cancel, I was informed I would be charged an enormous cancellation fee for breaking the contract. I explained to them they also had an obligation to provide service which I had not been getting. They offered me $100 off the fee, which I refused. Long story short, even after multiple calls, I was charged the cancellation fee. The supervisor I spoke with even admitted there had been no activity on my account since June 9, but would not budge on the fee. When she asked me if I was satisfied, I told her I was not, had not, and the multiple complaint calls they had documented pretty well proved it. I never received any documentation or even so much as an email from them about my account or the money charged to my credit card all those months, but as soon as I called to cancel, me mailbox was overloaded. I even asked the supervisor, "Would you pay more to another provider to get the exact same service if you were happy with the service you were already getting???" She didn't really have any response. Buyer beware!! Don't go with HughesNet if you have ANY OTHER options because they will stick it to you one way or the other.

YoTexasMamma Alamogordo, NM

If I could rate it zero stars I would! This is my dad's only option living in an area that doesn't have high speed internet. Buffering internet every 3-5 minutes? Give me a break! I call to complain and they said he could use an iternet TOKEN to TEMPORARILY speed it up? NO THANK YOU! what a ripoff!!! Are we in the age of dial up AOL? Highway robbery. Then, they said my dad's computer had used up all of his bandwidth for a month by downloading security updates on his pc in ONE hour! Why in this day and age is this allowed in America! Ripping off senior citizens just because they can? Hughes so called "high speed internet" can take their TOKENS and shove them where the sun don't shine !!!!!!

Tom Bryce Houston, TX

I had the worst experience with this company starting with the installation to getting the service to work with my tv and tv service. I even had trouble getting our IPhones and IPad to work. After increasing my service plan to try and fix the no connectivity and slow speed I decided to cancel. After speaking to several people and several technicians to not get the service to work from the beginning they charged me a 400.00 dollar fee. I would never recommend this company to anyone.

Theresa Brown Milford, PA

Worse internet service I've had. Doesn't allow for any real streaming - just the basics at a very high cost. Expect the system to go down at the slightest hint of inclement weather. Expect to need to purchase "data tokens" monthly, which can raise your bill another 50% monthly. The worst part - if you need to terminate early for any reason, you'll pay as much as $400. I needed to sell my house and relocate 4 months after signing up with Hughes. My monthly bills when I had service were about $150. Now I owe another $370. My cost for 4 months of bad service was just about $1,000. NEVER AGAIN

Lotus Smith Albuquerque, NM

They lie to you and lock you into a two year contract. Service is the same as my terrible cell service at the site. Customer service is disappointing to say the least. Huge waste of money. Don't let them fool you. Avoid at all costs, look for other solutions. Does not stream at all. Good for sending an email (hence the cell phone is just as good.).

Silvia Sanchez Ocala, FL

Worse two years contract the service is awful and costumer service WORSE!!you can’t stream and super slow. I’m glad I can cancel my contract and they make you pay 400 dollars to cancel a horrible service. I can’t understand how they still in business. We used a Verizon hot spot. I can used one word to describe this service NIGHTMARE!! I’m glad is over

Hap Del Buono

Tried HughesNet 14 years ago and it was horrible. We recently moved to the top of a mountain and sorry to report it hasn't gotten any better. Very slow and we do not download any photos, movies or play games. We disconnect (via computer access) the internet when not in use, so we're not using data as they once claimed why we were so slow. Persistent and constant drop outs, excruciatingly slow with just written data or emails. Often clear sunny days are as bad as you'd expect in storms. Their customer service & tech support do their best trying to convince you there is nothing wrong. They sent a tech out 2x and he reported everything aligned and in perfect working order. Not worth a $1 per year.

Amanda Hayes Pineville, LA

I pay over 100 a month for a week of terrible service .Companies refuse to put internet out here so we are forced to have to use hughsnet or viasat which is just as bad. Not including I pay for wwe network, peacock, Netflix and hulu. I feel I get better tv with a Walmart antenna...Dont waste ur money

Craig Columbia, SC

First, I tried to cancel in the first few weeks because the service was so slow and they would not allow me to cancel. So, once you sign up, you are stuck for 3 years unless you want to pay a termination fee. After about 7 months, I paid a $340 termination fee and got out. They lie, lie, lie about the speed. We found it to be very slow, 1 to 2 mbps most of the time. We were told by the installer to not expect much because with the pandemic so many people were on the satellite. We should have stopped at that point. My advice is to skip Hughesnet and use a cellphone provider if you can.

Ron Chambless Lefors, TX

Rural area with no other options is why we put up with it. All you have read is true and very frustrating however we can operate our business with it. Just don't expect streaming of any kind, I mean any kind without buffering. Want a ring, well good luck with that. Want to connect your grill to the server nope! They really suck and I look forward to the day when there are other options. They will be gone! but for now its what is available here. We use my phone as a hotspot to watch prime etc..

Janet Foster Frankfort, ME

It sucks.........I have medical equipment that relies on the internet and it is too slow...... .

K Saunders Sierra Vista, AZ

I'm sure HughesNet is a fine company but if you live in a remote area and work from home DO NOT expect this to work! AND adding an additional bruise, HughesNet works on a contracted period of service with an early cancellation fee. AND AND they won't remove the equipment they insisted had to be bolted onto your roof. I'M OUT $400 FOR CANCELLING AND A DAMAGED ROOF. I work from home and this was not even adequate for checking bank accounts let alone any video calling or other requirements. I urge you NOT to use HughesNet EVEN AS A LAST RESORT. (p.s. I never write in caps so that should indicate how dissatisfied I am.

Kathy Moritz Manchester, NH

If I could give Hughesnet a zero star rating, I would. This company is so disorganized, they gave me a price for service when I signed up and after a year increased the price by $25 per month. When questioned they say they gave me a one year discount. Called after they increased the price and they gave me the discount again. I was never ever aware that I was at a discounted rate. You don't get physical bills, so you cant check and maybe if you can figure out how to navigate their impossible system you may be able to view their charges. After nearly 2 years, I still cant understand their billing. this company is very difficult to deal with, Their systems are a mess and they give you a confirmation number every time you contact them. my phone call today was regarding the day I signed up (nearly 1.5 years ago) and they asked for my confirmation number from that date! I also had two accounts for several months (one on another house i was selling) It took nearly 2 months of stressful phone calls to get Hughesnet to remove their services from the house i sold. I actually had to get the new purchasers to take over the account to terminate the contract to me. Would I recommend Hughesnet? Hell NO

The Mrs. Atlanta, GA

After installing a huge satellite on our roof and poking holes in the side house - the satellite service NEVER WORKED. I spent so many hours online dealing with customer service and was upgraded to engineering. They could not get it to work so after paying for 5 months of service I cancelled. They came and picked up the satellite off our house, left the outside wiring and we were told we would get a credit for the equipment once the radio transmitter was shipped back. Their return packing never arrived so we paid out of pocket to return it to their service center. Never got the credit, which was almost $400. After an infuriating phone call with them today I was told that no - we would not be receiving credit because we purchased the equipment instead of leasing it!? It was so infuriating. How they can keep our money for equipment we no longer have in our possession? THE WORST SERVICE EVER! I'm reporting them to the Public Service Commission. I cannot believe all the money I'm out of pocket for something that never worked.

Tanner Jacobson Missoula, MT

Hughes net is the worst company I have ever gone through in my life. They are absolute con artists. Even after we paid the 350 dollar fee to cancel service and we sent all of the equipment back, we got a notice two months later saying that they had not received the equipment and charged us another 300 dollars. DO NOT put yourself through the headache of dealing with these clowns. None of their services even worked. The reception was so bad we could only stream on the netflix platform and even then it only worked half the time. My devices worked faster if I didn't connect to the wifi in the house. To get out of the contract costs over 300 dollars and then they will hit you with the most ridiculous fees you have heard of. I HATE this company.

NcGirl Apex, NC

We are currently an unfortunate pay customer. The following is a letter I just wrote to HughesNet. It sums up my review. I want to know the the best way to cancel my service ASAP. We have had this service since the first of October and have been overwhelmed with problems. First of all not one time did I sign a contract; Second of all i have contacted tech representives multiple times to solve our problems. PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR REFERENCE NUMBER because as soon as the chat became to complicated the tech would stop responding and end the chat; I spent well over 3 hours one evening with tech support. Finally one said turn off video settings, That seemed to "fix" the problem. I kept a check on the usuage i was very viligent in monitoring it. UNBEKNOWN to me the first month was "free" because the second month (NOVEMBER) we ran out with 2 weeks left of the month. I then upgraded to the highest amount of data you provide. I have keep everything that sucks up data OFF. We have become PRISONERS of HUGHESNET because no longer do we listen to our music, watch tv, Have the top of the line securtity system; the use of google lights... NO we have lowered our security settings to the lowest possibe settings, we no longer stream music No computer use; no ipad use and i bought an antenna to watch tv with, EVEN THOUGH we are subscribed to several different streaming channels. IT is beyond mindboggling!!!! While this service was being put in I talked to the representive about our security system; streaming channels, streaming music, etc. and was reassured it wouldn't be a problem. SURE IT IS NOT A PROBLEM if you don't USE ANY OF THE ABOVE. I will have our solider home for christmas from deployment, he will want to finally use the internet, finally play his video games, however HUGHESNET is going to make one of our military personnel MISS OUT on the opportunity of this enjoyment because with all the cut backs i have made already I am currently at less than 13gb of data left for the MONTH of December and it is currently the 11th of December that is 20days left to SQUEEZE out 13GB. WE WANT OUT OF THE CONTRACT ASAP. YOU CAN HAVE YOUR EQUPIMENT. I DON'T EXPECT A ETF IS REQUIRED DUE TO THE MISREPRESENTATION THAT interenet would be provided. also after reading that there isn't a REAL reason for data caps it is the SATELLITE companies have been pushed by others to stop capping out data. I would like a response on how to get out of this contract ASAP!!!

Jimmy jared Deepwater, MO

I wouldn't get this internet service if my life dependent on it. It sucks you never can watch Netflix are are anything for that matter.

Denise Urban Midland, MI

I have been battling them for months to get an unauthorized account out of my name. And they want numbers I can't have because I didn't set up the fake account. Their customer service is terrible and my mom does have their service and it is horrible and internet robbery. Do not recommend Hughesnet!

Dontcare Rimrock, AZ

This company has horrible service, high prices and the worst customer service I have ever experienced! The customer service rep laughs at your concerns, cancels contracts without permission and refuses to assist the customer. I encourage people to find other service for their area!

Harold K pettis ,

Most horrible 4 day customer experience ever. Would never recommend to anyone. So, so, very slow. It would take 10-20 minutes just to upload a basic pdf file. I would have to disconnect my wifi on my phone to be able to use it. Customet service is horrific, ad well as the service. If you plan on getting hughes net, DONT!

Kurt Rosenthal Lowell, OR

TOTAL BAIT AND SWITCH. Sloooow speeds, terrible customer service, and incompetent technical support. No service guarantee (sell you 25Mbps and you'll be lucky to get 5), yet you are locked in to a two-year service contract. And if you want to cancel, it's $800. Oh, and if it rains ... no service. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

Jim Sills ,

The Bad... Service is expensive and slow with speeds of 2 mbps rather than 25 mbps. Lost signal in storms and 2 year contract. After completing contract, trying to cancel is a nightmare. Lastly they expect you to climb on two story house with steep roof to remove their radio transmitter or they will charge you $300. The Good... The kid I hired to climb roof did not fall.

Crystal Smith Choctaw, OK

HughesNet is a horrible company. First, when this guy came to my house to hook up the satellite, I told him that I wanted it on the ground not the roof. Well, guess what, he put it on the roof. They don't listen. Plus I barley got anything out of the deal. Every time I tried to watch anything, all it did was buffer. Havent used anything and they suck. Will never do business with them ever again. Just shady company. I know a couple of people have problems with them. Just stay away from these people

Tina H Sidney, MT

Internet cuts out and is way overpriced. Don’t let them lure you in with promos because they won’t let you leave even if your contract is up they will tell you it’s not and charge you $400 to cancel your service. They don’t care how old you are they still require you climb on your roof and dismantle the dish to send back the chip or they charge you for that too.

RON BLAKE ,

I have nothing but trouble with Hughes from day one. There is no reason to call them because they will just give you the runaround. Its only good for 2 weeks of the month and even then it is VERY slow and keep losing the wi fi. Then they want to charge you a lot of money to get out. We should a lawyer to get us out of this mess. Any one know a good lawyer, we could all chip in and save us a ton of money. I gave it 1 star only because i could not give them what they deserve, nothing.

Fearlessleader Bloomfield Hills, MI

SLOW!!! I can only recommend them if you have exhausted all other possibilities. Customer service is like dealing with ATT. In other words you will have to spend large amounts of time on the phone with someone you can barely understand. As many others have noted their long term contract is a joke. Fortunately we were finally able to get service using an ATT hotspot. This is also rather expensive but at least we can actually use the internet!

Bradley Layton Nashville, TN

I am with all the other 1 star people with they deserve zero. You will never get advertised speeds. Heck I never say download speeds faster than 750kbs. Also be mindful they will lock you into a 24month contract and charge you $370 to cancel. What's even crazier I elected buy the equipment upfront and they still get you with a contract. So between the cost of both over 1k wasted to find out your not getting the product they promised. There is hope for us rural users with Starlink. I can't wait till these people are out of business so they stop ripping people off.

CrystalRanch ,

First I got them because they said they had service in my area of chehalis. Secondly, I called multiple times with issues of it not working. I'm a business. So, this was a disaster. They could even see data used and when it wasn't. I cancelled service and they charged me a Hefty disconnect fee and threw me into collections. Absurd! You promised my business a service you couldn't deliver. I paid for my install and tried them out but they didn't care about me or anything but Contract. Thieves. Terrible company terrible customer service.

Jay Holzem Hardinsburg, IN

HughesNet Internet is so slow because they oversold their bandwidth, has too many customers which they can't serve, uses a limited number of geosynchronous satellites, and due to their monthly data cap. HughesNet provides inconsistent, slow, and frustrating service. Absolutely the worst service I have ever had. I can't even use it most of the time despite multiple techs calls and service calls.

William Marble Falls, TX

HughesNet is a terrible company . I have been a customer for over 5 plus years cause they were the only service available. I recently found another company that offers a way better service. I called customer service today to cancel my contract when it is up and they want to charge me a 100 dollar cancellation fee. Also they expect my 70 year old husband to climb on top of the roof and get a part off the satellite. Please don’t use them keep searching

Chuck Adams River Falls, WI

Please don't fall for their dishonest sales pitch! You have to agree to pay them, but they don't have to provide any kind of service at all, nothing is guaranteed on their end! You can call them daily, listen to their BS, but nothing changes. It is probably the weather, a flock of birds in the same county, solar activity, dust in the atmosphere, Russians hacking the internet, but it is always too bad so sad!

Kadin and Kea Baker O'Fallon, MO

Slow internet service. When the internet went down we asked for a technician to come out they were going to charge us to come fix their equipment. we contacted them a several times about the slow internet speed. bad product and bad customer service. if there were a 0 star option I would give it to them. Cancelled my service after a year. well worth the cancelation fee. I was paying apt $100 a month for terrible internet that didn't work half of the time.

Ronnie K Marysville, MT

Got Huges net because Dish said that it would me so much faster . I was a Dish customer and still use there dish fir TV for the last 14 years . I should have never switched Huges is the worst system ever . I can't even watch a Youtube video without buffering 10 time I tried to stream a 1 hour show and it to over 2 hours to watch . PLEASE DON'T GET HUGES NET They also say in there ads the price is $59 dollars but not you pay another $14 in equipment every monty . They say this sucker coming a mile away just warning you !

sandduffer Forest Lake, MN

I got Hughesnet after a hurricane hit our area. Our Suddenlink provider was rumored to be down for months. So I got this worthless package. I called and tried to cancel but the woman online said I would be charged 400 dollars for breaking my contract. This was a half-truth. You do get charged 400 dollars, but you get 300 back after the equipment is returned in the first 30 days. So, not very honest! I am now stuck in a 2-year contract. The download speed on movies on youtube is horrible. Very Frustrating. They (H.N.) suggested I get an extender to improve my signal. That cost me 50 dollars! A little better but much. Sometimes I think no service would be better than Hughesnet!

Linda Buffalo Grove, IL

We have a cabin in a rural area of WI with no broadband internet options. We decided to give HughesNet a try as they had a cancellation policy with the special package we signed up for. They came to install the satellite and modem on March 14. We experienced delay issues immediately streaming Prime videos. We contacted with concerns and service also contacted us that they saw performance issues on their end. Wisconsin issued a "stay in place" order on March 24-May 26 so the proposed service could not be completed until June. The service occurred on a day where we left to go back to our home and was not onsite to use service. I had been assured that HughesNet would take these COVID issues into consideration. We came back in July and the service was still poor. We called and complained and asked for the service to be terminated. The customer service representative suspended the service which didn't make sense to me at the time but was assured I would not be paying for the service or the cancellation fee. It is now October and we felt HughesNet should have it's equipment back so called to ask how to send it back. They said the service would then be terminated and we would pay the cancellation fee of $370.00 plus another $15 fee. They said if technical service confirmed our concern they would waive the fee. We talked to tech services and they said they would need to send a technician. This seemed a waste of time and resources so we said no please terminate the service as requested in July. They did terminate but said they would charge the cancellation fee. We asked the record reflect we disputed the claim. They have changed our credit card and we have disputed the claim with the credit card company. I told them that I was contacting the BBB about their deceptive and horrible service.