Comcast is a major force in the telecommunications industry because of its large service area and the sheer number of customers it has served. If you've ever researched internet packages, Comcast has likely come up.

The company's regular rates start at $49.95 per month. You can bundle TV, phone, and home security services with its internet.

View Xfinity Reviews

The Comcast Company has two major parts: Comcast Cable and NBC Universal. These two parts work together to bring all of the various types of media to homes across the United States.

Xfinity is a part of Comcast Cable and brings phone, TV service, home automation, and high-speed internet to customers. A variety of package options are available depending on the speeds and features accessible in your area.

Xfinity has a commitment to great service that is backed by a money-back guarantee.

#2 AT&T Internet chevron_right
3.2
#3 Cox Internet chevron_right
3.4

The Good

• High Speeds
  • High Availability
  • Security
  • Xfinity Bundle Advantages
  • Contract-Free Option

High Speeds

Xfinity Internet offers some of the highest speeds in the industry. Its internet plans are organized by speed.

• 15 Mbps ($29.99 per month)
  • 60 Mbps ($29.99–$66.95 per month)
  • 150 Mbps ($44.99 per month)
  • 250 Mbps ($59.99 per month)
  • 400 Mbps ($60–$74.99 per month)
  • 1,000 Mbps ($70 per month)
  • 2,000 Mbps ($299.95 per month)

Some plans may not be available in some areas. Pricing may also vary depending on your location and desired contract length, and these prices can change depending on your timing.

Equipment, installation, and activation fees also apply in some cases. More on that below.

High Availability

Since Xfinity is a large entity in the ISP industry, it covers a huge area across the United States: it's available in 39 states. With that large area coverage comes a lot of variation in upload speeds and download speeds available to you.

Xfinity doesn't have solid available speeds until it conducts a speed test for a specific address. This can be an obstacle if you're looking at internet options but aren't certain about your future zip code.

But, it's also a benefit because customers don't have to pay a fee for a certain speed package unavailable in their area. The price for an internet plan depends on the internet speed that's available; you won't overpay for Mbps that you're not receiving in your location.

When choosing a speed, you should consider whether multiple devices will access the internet. Xfinity provides general package information to give you an idea of what you might pay for certain areas.

Security

Along with quick internet speeds for reasonable prices, Xfinity also promises internet security.

Xfinity has partnered with Norton Antivirus to bring their customers online protection. These security measures are easily downloaded onto any computer or device once the you've chosen your package.

The cost for this software is included in the monthly Xfinity bill. There is no additional charge for this security service.

Free security is a big bonus which could keep you safe from theft and viruses.

Bundling Advantages

Like many other internet service providers, Xfinity offers additional services, like cable, in addition to its high-speed internet.

But if you think cable is antiquated, that's not your only bundling option with Xfinity. Xfinity has the option for customers to stream hundreds of channels and videos to view in their own homes through Xfinity TV service, the Xfinity Stream app, Xfinity Instant TV, or Xfinity Cable TV.

Xfinity packages offer the customer more than one of these services. If you choose to add on more services through Xfinity, they're typically bundled at a lower price. This is a huge benefit if you're hunting for several new services, but it's a downside if you're not.

If you strictly want internet service, you might be missing out on some promotions and better deals.

Contract-Free Option

If you don't plan on staying with Xfinity, or if you plan on moving shortly, you can choose an Xfinity plan with no contract. Customers who choose this option will pay a higher monthly rate, but this is a convenient choice for those who dislike being locked into a contract that may raise rates.

The Bad

• Data Limits
  • Fees
  • State Coverage

Data Limits

Xfinity does not offer unlimited data. It has implemented data limits. Some of these data caps are as high as 1 TB.

Xfinity also requires a one- to two-year contract on many of its packages. Some other internet service providers do not have data limits or require contracts, so if you're wary of committing to an ISP long-term, so this may offputting.

Fees

Xfinity's service has a few costs that customers consider hidden fees. While these aren't technically "hidden fees" because they are mentioned in Xfinity's contracts, users sometimes see them as abrupt and unfair:

• Installation fee. This can be negotiable, but technicians typically charge a $60.00 fee to install Xfinity. Customers can opt for a do-it-yourself kit for a cheaper cost.
  • Reactivation fee. If a customer temporarily turns off their service, Xfinity charges a small reactivation fee.
  • Equipment fee. If you choose to rent Xfinity gateway, the provider's 2-in-1 modem/router, you'll pay a monthly rental price. Customers looking to lower their bill should purchase their own compatible equipment upfront.
  • Xfinity TV fees. Xfinity charges several fees for add-on TV service, including premium channels and DVR.
  • Late payment fee. Xfinity will charge an add-on of $10.00 if a customer pays their bill late.
  • Early termination fee. Xfinity Internet offers customers a 1-year contract where their price is locked in for that year. However, if the customer needs to end the contract early, they are subject to an early termination fee.

More fees might apply depending on your plan. Check your specific Xfinity package, and be aware that many rates are negotiable.

State Coverage

While Xfinity is available in 39 states, some of its competitors are available in all 50. These variables can be a disadvantage and a reason that customers search for other internet service providers for their needs.

The Bottom Line

If you're looking at a few different internet service providers, it can be frustrating to figure out what type of package you can get in your area and how much you'll have to pay. Xfinity requires a contract, has data limits, and isn't available in all 50 states.

However, customers who choose Xfinity Internet will enjoy a host of benefits and features like Norton Antivirus software, access to hotspots across the country, and a money-back guarantee. We recommend checking out Xfinity's services to see if they are a good fit for you.

Be sure you understand the terms of your internet service agreement and whether there are additional fees, like an installation fee or surcharges for a modem and router.

3.3

Quen Wilson

June 1st, 2017 Ogden, UT

I have only had Xfinity for a few months, but it has been very fast internet and easy for us to set up and use. Each time I have called for help, their customer service has been very helpful.

Kari Staheli

June 1st, 2017

I have had Comcast Xfinity internet for 12 years now. I like everything about it except the cost. I have looked into changing but have kept it because of the service I get. I would love it if was a little less expensive. I have had no problem with their customer service.

Michael Lyman

June 1st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

A neutral review here. Comcast is very pricey, they don't provide the best internet, but lets be honest not many places in Utah can provide a good strong internet signal consistently. No telling how many times my signal went out and was out for hours at a time. Trying to get someone to come install or work on the internet is also a chore, with the customer service giving such wide windows of availability that is required to be there waiting. Trying to cancel has got to be one of the worst things with Comcast, they bounce you all around from agent to agent trying to come up with the best deal to keep you on. Offering free items or free T.V. turning a 1 minute call into a 15 minute endeavor just to cancel, and the second that they realize its a lost cause they push you off the phone as fast as they can.

Krista Hoffman

January 25th, 2017

Constant problems with the wifi signal being lost. A tech came out last week to check it and said the system lost wifi & rebooted over a thousand times in 30 days. He did something and I had no problems for a few days but now I am back to constantly getting kicked off. I work from home and this is a huge problem.

Pat

December 20th, 2016 Chicago, IL

I am in Chicago, IL. I assume this is an important service area for COMCAST. Internet outages are frequent. Frankly, I might be able to live with this if it weren't for the outages (I have not had consist service 5 days during the last week - after 30 minutes on the phone with COMCAST Customer (Dis)Service, I was provided a whopping $13.56 credit! On top of this COMCAST Customer Service is shockingly disorganized. A phone call to confirm 'outage in my area' will usually mean being routed, without warning or consent, to 6-7 different agents none of whom are informed of what was told the previous agent (ie restart) and 6 agents = 6 different 'expert' opinions on what is wrong. DON"T AGREE TO ALLOW THEM IN YOUR HOME - THEY CHARGE and then CHARGE AGAIN AND THEY DO NOTHING!

Davy Jones

December 8th, 2016 Buford, GA

Here's a detailed list of pros and cons of the Comcast Company. Pros: - Widely Available - Fast Internet speed packages available - Cable Bundles with Internet deals - Xfinity hotspots (for when you're not at home) Cons: - Outsourced and scripted Customer Service - Unreliable connection some day (It can completely stop working, especially on rainy days) - Speeds can go down to under 15 Mbps for weeks at a time (even if you pay for 75+ Mbps) - Comcast has a monopoly in many areas, forcing many customers to get ripped off on prices - Comcast might send a technician to "check things out" but they wont fix anything outside your house, because they can only bill you if something is wrong on your end. (if its their equipment in the neighborhood, they don't care as it costs money) - When you call to speak to a technician, you get put on hold multiple times for over 20+ min each time. Comcast seems to have a very negative impression on many southern states, as they have a HUGE monopoly there and the prices for the unreliable service are ridiculous. I would not recommend buying a product/service from Comcast unless they were the only option (unfortunate) or if they were the best option in your area.

Diane Schertzer

August 6th, 2016 Sarasota, FL

Sarasota, Florida - Positively the most unacceptable customer service of any company. My phone calls for help are constantly bounced to the Philippines....I cannot understand the reps, they are way overly apologetic for everything, losing sight of the problem I called about. I ask to be transferred to the mainland, and I'm told tech experts are not available. After a long painful two hours of troubleshooting and attempting to communicate so we both understand, I'm told I need a new modem. They will mail it. 2 days with out service, and in the mail, comes the instruction book for the modem..no modem. I unplug the mess of wiring and pray that I will know how to connect the new modem that I decide to pick up at the Fruitville, Sarasota location. After driving 12 miles to get there, the office is now located at University, the very northern most boundary of Comcast service territory, with the only other one in the county being located to the south, 30 miles....who was the Comcastic genius who thought this through? The office is in a small plaza, with Millennials staffing it. I'm barely greeted by the greeter, Angel, who asks my first name. The young man is looking at the huge TV screen, not even at me, handing me a piece of paper with my name on it. I am the only customer waiting who is not with someone at the counter. He could at least make eye contact. I ask, "what is this for?"...He says I will be called shortly. I am called by a young lady, who also does not make eye contact and expects me to follow her. I tell her I am frustrated. She ignores my statement, and takes my modem, scans it and gives me a new one...that's it??? I am a savvy senior citizen, who looks younger, but has not grown up with technology. It doesn't come easy, however, I understand and know quite a bit. I begin to ask questions about connecting the modem. She is indifferent, with an attitude, quips out short answers, and at the printer tells me, adamantly, all printers are wireless....I know mine is not...it's old, like me, but still works. She is frustrated with me, tells me to call the number, go to the site, on my receipt for instructions. I tell her I don't think I can hook this up. She says, "Fine, I'll schedule an appointment for $50." Angel tells me on the way out to have a nice day...I tell him he's the worst receptionist I've ever met. I'm really a patient person, I'm not unkind, and I am ashamed that I reacted this way....I have been in customer service for decades, and would never think of treating someone like I was treated. I am also a former Comcast employee, and grateful to have resigned while still having my health and sanity. Comcast is a terrible company to work for, and if there was another provider of services, I would leave in a heartbeat.

Jeremy

August 6th, 2014 Los Angeles, CA

Our internet connection routinely goes out and Comcast claims that the only solution is a new box. Bought a new box and had the same issue. Contacted Comcast and they claimed that we needed a new box. Don't see what I can do here because I need internet. Oh well. Comcast you win again.