CenturyLink

CenturyLink

What started as a small family business in the 1930s has eventually become a household name in the internet service industry. Throughout their history, CenturyLink has continually acquired other companies and businesses in order to better serve their current and future customers. These expansion efforts have lead them to become the third largest telecommunications company in the United States. They serve 50 states with their extensive fiber optic networks. Recently, CenturyLink has expanded even further to offer entertainment services like Century Prism and Direct TV. Their great customer service helps each of their customers have a unique, positive experience.

The Good

• Fast service speed
  • Pay for speed not a package
  • 24/7 technical support

Service Speed

CenturyLink offers a wide range of internet speeds for their customers. These speeds are very specific to an exact location and vary depending on the area. Even though general available speeds are not given, customers can know that their speed could be as fast as 1 Gbps. That top possible speed is extremely fast, especially compared to the available speeds from other internet service providers. Customers who need very fast speed would benefit greatly from checking with a CenturyLink customer service agent to see what is available in their area.

Pay for what you Use

CenturyLink offers their services to customers in a unique way, customers pay for what they receive. The majority of these companies explain that speeds do vary based on the exact location, but still offer packages. CenturyLink stands out among the industry for the way they offer services to their customers.

Technical Support

Some other beneficial features of CenturyLink's business procedures make them a good choice for internet service. They offer 24/7 technical support to all of their customers which is very convenient. If a customer is not satisfied with the services they receive from CenturyLink they are protected with a 30 day money back guarantee.

The Bad

• Contract required
  • Possible data limits

Contract Required

One negative aspect of CenturyLink's services is the need for a contract. They require every customer to sign a one year contract in order to get the service hooked up. A contract requires customers to pay for their service for that allotted amount of time. If the customer needs to end their service, they will have to pay an exit fee to cancel that contract. While there are internet service providers who do require contracts, most companies in this industry do not require contracts from their customers.

Possible Data Limits

Unfortunately for CenturyLink customers, they also may have to watch out for data caps set up by the company. This means that CenturyLink has set limits for how much of the internet their customers can use in any given month. Internet service providers do this to try to control the available speeds for all of their customers and make sure the system functions properly, but it can be a drawback for customers. CenturyLink customers who exceed their data limits will not be required to pay an overage charge. When a customer goes over their limit, they will receive a notice and then depending on the health of the overall network different actions will be taken.

The Bottom Line

In recent years, CenturyLink has become one of the biggest internet service providers in the country. Their internet service is available in all 50 states. They do not offer general packages and prices. Each specific address has different availability and so customers will be charged for by their location, not for the general package price. Customers will have to deal with a one year contract and possible data caps. These two aspects of their service can be big turn-offs for customers because many other companies do not require either of these things. Overall, CenturyLink provides quality service with affordable prices. Potential customers should consider CenturyLink for their internet service needs.

34 CenturyLink Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

July 25th, 2017 Morenci, AZ

Worst internet service. Made me bound to enroll in auto pay and every month they are ripping me off $134 instead of 39.99 which was planned and agreed in my connection setup letter. I am tried of speaking with them. Customer service is like people talking form jungle. Do not want to understand and admit their side of fault. If you want to lose every month 100 bucks with getting poor service then be with them. Period

July 17th, 2017

I signed up for Centurylink Simple in February. For the last 4 months, I've had to call because my internet was off for one reason or anther despite being on autopay with more than sufficient funds available.

July 7th, 2017 Colorado Springs, CO

We pay for 7mbps and usually get 5mbps while we are paying 40$/month when we were told to be paying more like 15$/month.

July 2nd, 2017 Spicer, MN

Horrible service!!! Bad customer support!!

2 0

June 14th, 2017 Columbia City, IN

good luck trying to use their website to pay your bill, or good luck calling customer service to try to get any relevant done to your account such as changing accounts. Its an absolute joke.

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Century Link has been reliable internet for me. After my 12-month promotional pricing ended my price increased almost double and I called and they gave me a new even better price. I feel like I never have problems with their service. Customer service is a pain to call. You have to go through so many automated voice menus to actually talk to a real person. That is my only complaint.

0 1

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

CenturyLink is awful internet, I would only use it as a last resort. They are super cheap, but from my experience, the internet is super slow and drops a lot. Their customer service is not helpful and seemingly always in a bad mood. I happily left them for better service.

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I absolutely hate CenturyLink. Every month I had some kind of issue with my bill and would have to wait on the line for forever. Their internet was so bad, I had to call all the time to try and figure out what was wrong with it. It was extremely frustrating. I was so glad when I moved to a place that had better options than just CenturyLink.

June 6th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

When we had CenturyLink, our internet was always slow and down half the time. They gave really great initial prices, and they skyrocketed the price on really crappy service. I would not recommend anyone use them.

June 6th, 2017

I have been with centurylink for about two years and their Internet services is sub-par. Yesterday I was in middle of my school quiz and all of the Internet went. It came back 30 mins after the test. These MFs want me to pay them. Please do not make that mistake but their service suck.

June 5th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Century link has definitely been one of the better internet providers that I have experienced. They aren't the best though. Luckily you can find them anywhere and the prices are about as good as any other place.

May 31st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

We had a service man come and fix our internet line. He was great and helped to get our internet running a little faster. However, he said that we would never get the fast internet speeds in our area, because CenturyLink will not put the money out to do that. He basically said if we want fast internet then we should get Comcast.

May 31st, 2017 Draper, UT

Century Link promised me a lot before I signed up, but the service just didn't measure up. The internet speed was mediocre at best and it was very difficult to make payments online through Century Link's online portal. The company was somewhat difficult to deal with as well. Would not recommend.

May 29th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Even though the Internet is cheap, it is very slow.

May 28th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Haven't been super impressed or unimpressed by their internet when I've hopped on.

May 26th, 2017

What should have been a simple transfer from one apartment to another apartment was a big mess that left me without service for a week, and several frustrating hours spent on the phone over several days with countless untrained customer service representatives. Now, two years later I am being contacted by a bill collector for a charged on a final bill on an account that Centurylink hooked up wrong and disconnected themselves by a team of specialist. Essentially I am being charged for their mistake. I contacted Centurylink to dispute the false charge and their records show the timeline of events that took place that supports my claim but the team of specialist, supervisors, and customer service representatives failed to make the proper notes and so they refuse to waive the fraudulent fee caused by their mistakes. I guess that would take another "team of specialist" to correct? NO THANKS! Not worth the headache to deal with these people EVER again! I am paying the debt on the fraudulent account in protest but I want people to be aware that Centurylink has very poor business practices.

May 18th, 2017

If i can give less than zero rating with centuly link customer service.i would do that in daily basis.i wonder why this company is still open,consumer board need to do something about this company.very bad customer service!!!

May 18th, 2017 Omaha, NE

stay away from this company the overcharge you double even triple what u agree on then promise to fix your bill every month after hpurs on the phone never do and when your finally over them and them scamming you they charge u for cancelling service that was never provided. stay far away from this conpany this has been the worth experience I have ever had w a company.

March 20th, 2017 Lehigh Acres, FL

THEY ARE SO CORRUPT!!! SUCH LIARS!!!! They were offering an online only promotion where you sign up for 12 months with auto pay and its $35 plus tax. I have had to call every single month because the bill is over $100 every time. How is that possible?! I can't live in peace always having to call these people and fight over our bill just to get it to where it was promised. It's a part time job to be on top of them so that they don't steal your money. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER!!!!!

March 2nd, 2017 Saint Paul, MN

In the particular location of my apartment I've lived in for half a year now, we have only 2 choices for ISPs: CenturyLink and Comcast/Xfinity. Before I got into my apartment, I briefly stayed with some friends at their place, which had CenturyLink Internet and Prism TV. Overall, I was very pleased with both of those services, so I thought why not go with them for my Internet (plus, I already had a phone jack in a convenient place in my apartment so that made the choice of going with them even better). Didn't need Prism or traditional cable TV since I don't watch too much live TV other than sports. So because of that, I have PlayStation Vue for my TV service, and I pay only $35/month for that. For the time I've had my service with CenturyLink, it has been problem free for me. The speeds I have are the fastest ones I can get in my area, that being 40 Mbps down/5 Mbps up. Wish the upload speed could be faster, but at least it's faster upload speeds than with the 20, 12, and 7 down services (all of which are a pathetic 896 Kbps up). For uploading photos it's plenty fast, but when uploading longer videos, the slower speed is definitely evident. Nothing too unbearable though. If anything, it's nice knowing that I have fairly decent speeds without the worry of having to deal with slower speeds during peak hours that users of cable Internet have to deal with. That right there is one of the many reasons I'm happy I went with CenturyLink over Xfinity as I'm sure a good majority of the tenants in my building have Xfinity for their Internet as opposed to CenturyLink. My speeds are very sufficient for my usual YouTube and Netflix streaming, and it works great with my PlayStation Vue TV service as well. As you will see in my attached image, my speeds are actually a little faster than advertised, clocking in at 45.12 Mbps for the download and 5.12 Mbps for the upload. Speed tests that I run every now and then on speedtest.net and other sites clock in a little below what my modem configuration page shows because I of course use WiFi (with an AirPort Extreme), but they're still very respectable at 42+ Mbps down and just below 5 Mbps up with anywhere from 18-20ms in terms of my ping. In the grand scheme of things, CenturyLink is great, but only if you can get their 40 down/5 up service or their gigabit fiber service if available in your area. Unfortunately, in my parts it's only available in Minneapolis and its surrounding suburbs at this time, and plans for it to extend east over to St. Paul is currently unknown. Not a huge deal though, since I am very happy with my service I'm getting.