Is This Your Business?
Every day, potential customers are viewing your company’s profile on BestCompany.com, and your overall rating and user score can greatly influence their perception of your business. Here are two effective ways you can improve your company’s reputation:
  • The BestCompany Badge: You may place this badge on your website, sales material, social profiles, etc. to promote your company being on BestCompany.com.
  • Custom Review Lander: Generate more customer reviews using this custom lander.

What started as a small family business in the 1930s has eventually become a household name in the internet service industry. Throughout their history, CenturyLink has continually acquired other companies and businesses in order to better serve their current and future customers. These expansion efforts have lead them to become the third largest telecommunications company in the United States. They serve 50 states with their extensive fiber optic networks. Recently, CenturyLink has expanded even further to offer entertainment services like Century Prism and Direct TV. Their great customer service helps each of their customers have a unique, positive experience.

Rank Chart
thumbnail-1
$29.95-79.95
Undiclosed
6.4

The Good

• Fast service speed
  • Pay for speed not a package
  • 24/7 technical support

Service Speed

CenturyLink offers a wide range of internet speeds for their customers. These speeds are very specific to an exact location and vary depending on the area. Even though general available speeds are not given, customers can know that their speed could be as fast as 1 Gbps. That top possible speed is extremely fast, especially compared to the available speeds from other internet service providers. Customers who need very fast speed would benefit greatly from checking with a CenturyLink customer service agent to see what is available in their area.

Pay for what you Use

CenturyLink offers their services to customers in a unique way, customers pay for what they receive. The majority of these companies explain that speeds do vary based on the exact location, but still offer packages. CenturyLink stands out among the industry for the way they offer services to their customers.

Technical Support

Some other beneficial features of CenturyLink’s business procedures make them a good choice for internet service. They offer 24/7 technical support to all of their customers which is very convenient. If a customer is not satisfied with the services they receive from CenturyLink they are protected with a 30 day money back guarantee.

The Bad

• Contract required
  • Possible data limits

Contract Required

One negative aspect of CenturyLink’s services is the need for a contract. They require every customer to sign a one year contract in order to get the service hooked up. A contract requires customers to pay for their service for that allotted amount of time. If the customer needs to end their service, they will have to pay an exit fee to cancel that contract. While there are internet service providers who do require contracts, most companies in this industry do not require contracts from their customers.

Possible Data Limits

Unfortunately for CenturyLink customers, they also may have to watch out for data caps set up by the company. This means that CenturyLink has set limits for how much of the internet their customers can use in any given month. Internet service providers do this to try to control the available speeds for all of their customers and make sure the system functions properly, but it can be a drawback for customers. CenturyLink customers who exceed their data limits will not be required to pay an overage charge. When a customer goes over their limit, they will receive a notice and then depending on the health of the overall network different actions will be taken.

The Bottom Line

In recent years, CenturyLink has become one of the biggest internet service providers in the country. Their internet service is available in all 50 states. They do not offer general packages and prices. Each specific address has different availability and so customers will be charged for by their location, not for the general package price. Customers will have to deal with a one year contract and possible data caps. These two aspects of their service can be big turn-offs for customers because many other companies do not require either of these things. Overall, CenturyLink provides quality service with affordable prices. Potential customers should consider CenturyLink for their internet service needs.

More Information

Featured Details

Price:

Prices vary by specific location

Data Cap/Allowance:

• $19.95 per month
  • Price is locked in for three years
  • 30 day satisfaction guarantee
  • 12 Mbps download speed
  • $99.99 one-time modem charge, $6.99 per month lease, or free if you already have a compatible modem
  • $14.99 one-time installation fee for guide if you self-install, or $59.99 to have a technician install for one computer ($99.99 for more than one computer)

High-Speed Internet Package:

• 40 Mbps download speed
  • two year price lock

Frequently Asked Questions

Common Questions

How much does CenturyLink Cost?

Prices for internet service vary by specific location, customer service agents are available to give specific quotes based on those locations.

What Speeds do they offer?

Downloading and uploading speeds vary by specific location but can be up to 1 Gbps, customer service agents are available to give exact speeds based on those locations.

Does CenturyLink have any data caps?

300 Gb to unlimited data cap

X close

16 CenturyLink Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

0=WORST 10=BEST

2. Subject For This Review*(Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

or

1. User Score

March 20th, 2017 Lehigh Acres, FL

THEY ARE SO CORRUPT!!! SUCH LIARS!!!! They were offering an online only promotion where you sign up for 12 months with auto pay and its $35 plus tax. I have had to call every single month because the bill is over $100 every time. How is that possible?! I can’t live in peace always having to call these people and fight over our bill just to get it to where it was promised. It’s a part time job to be on top of them so that they don’t steal your money. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER!!!!!

2. User Score

March 1st, 2017 Saint Paul, MN

In the particular location of my apartment I’ve lived in for half a year now, we have only 2 choices for ISPs: CenturyLink and Comcast/Xfinity. Before I got into my apartment, I briefly stayed with some friends at their place, which had CenturyLink Internet and Prism TV. Overall, I was very pleased with both of those services, so I thought why not go with them for my Internet (plus, I already had a phone jack in a convenient place in my apartment so that made the choice of going with them even better). Didn’t need Prism or traditional cable TV since I don’t watch too much live TV other than sports. So because of that, I have PlayStation Vue for my TV service, and I pay only $35/month for that.

For the time I’ve had my service with CenturyLink, it has been problem free for me. The speeds I have are the fastest ones I can get in my area, that being 40 Mbps down/5 Mbps up. Wish the upload speed could be faster, but at least it’s faster upload speeds than with the 20, 12, and 7 down services (all of which are a pathetic 896 Kbps up). For uploading photos it’s plenty fast, but when uploading longer videos, the slower speed is definitely evident. Nothing too unbearable though. If anything, it’s nice knowing that I have fairly decent speeds without the worry of having to deal with slower speeds during peak hours that users of cable Internet have to deal with. That right there is one of the many reasons I’m happy I went with CenturyLink over Xfinity as I’m sure a good majority of the tenants in my building have Xfinity for their Internet as opposed to CenturyLink.
    My speeds are very sufficient for my usual YouTube and Netflix streaming, and it works great with my PlayStation Vue TV service as well. As you will see in my attached image, my speeds are actually a little faster than advertised, clocking in at 45.12 Mbps for the download and 5.12 Mbps for the upload. Speed tests that I run every now and then on speedtest.net and other sites clock in a little below what my modem configuration page shows because I of course use WiFi (with an AirPort Extreme), but they’re still very respectable at 42+ Mbps down and just below 5 Mbps up with anywhere from 18-20ms in terms of my ping.

In the grand scheme of things, CenturyLink is great, but only if you can get their 40 down/5 up service or their gigabit fiber service if available in your area. Unfortunately, in my parts it’s only available in Minneapolis and its surrounding suburbs at this time, and plans for it to extend east over to St. Paul is currently unknown. Not a huge deal though, since I am very happy with my service I’m getting.

3. User Score

February 23rd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

i was set up with century link for less than $50.00 a month for tv and internet my first bill come up and it was for $220.00 i call to complain about this and end up cancelling the tv service (witch it was just basic) then i was told i was gonna paid less the $40 for internet and they will fix my bill of $220.00 i just got my bill and now if for $440.00 this guys are a joke i try to canceled the service but i was told i have a contract and now ihave to pay a $200 cancellation fee plus the $440.00 that they say i owe to them i dont know what to do anymore is to much money for me im a single father and this is way to much and i dont want my credit to be ruin by this nonsence

4. User Score

November 7th, 2016 Glendale, AZ

I was a happy customer for 20 years. Today I spoke with Rosemary at the Finance Dept and was told how to behave. I have no complaint about the product, price and service all those 20 years. I am now looking for options.

2 1

5. User Score

November 4th, 2016 Vancouver, WA

I was overcharged yet again. My billing has been an ongoing issue, and last month I even checked ahead of time because my account was showing a large amount due even though I should have had a credit balance due to previous overcharges. I was assured via Twitter that the credit balance was correct, and that my credit card would NOT be charged the amount shown on my account. When I got my credit card statement, I was in fact charged again–not only did I have a credit, but the amount charged was more than three times my monthly bill. When I contacted CenturyLink through Twitter again, I got a response from the same person as last time (Aaron) basically saying that, yes, it was an error, and that I need to call the financial services department to get a credit. When I complained that I should not have to spend more time on the phone getting an error fixed that he has already admitted was an error, his only remark is that I would not have to explain anything–that I could just ask for the credit, as if I could even get to a live person without giving all of my account information and personal information and a brief explanation of WHAT credit I’m referring to.

6. User Score

August 31st, 2016 Alpine, UT

Nothing but problems. Spotty connections, slower than advertised speeds, expensive.. I would not recommend.

7. User Score

August 5th, 2016 Gilbert, AZ

Horrible. Worst customer service I have ever experienced from a business. Inflated bills with no explanation as to why. My bill jumped in one month from $157 to $183 and when I called to inquire as to WHY this was, I was shuffled to 4 different people, on hold for 20 minutes them lied to and told it was “taxes” . I was looking right at the bill and saw the taxes including century link fees amounted to $10.23. When I told the gal on the phone that, she said , and I quote, “well I don’t know what to tell you mame”. As this is not the first time this has happened with them I decided to cancel my service with the! Right then and there and go back to Cox. I was with century link for 3 years and I can tell you their service has gone down considerably.

As for their actual products. Television is constantly freezing now (this was not the case in the beginning and the internet has gotten considerably slower. I believe this is being done purposely to try and bump people up to the higher priced version. We are not stupid and this is not how you treat your customers. Maybe when they lose enough business they will understand that. I, however, will never go back.

8. User Score

July 27th, 2016 Jonesboro, AR

Have had Centurylink since April. Bundled land line, internet and TV. TV is fine due to it being DirecTV but internet and land line service is horrible. Constant service disruptions and like my situation at present they can’t come out to repair for four days. I work at home so I am basically out-of-service for this period. Can’t wait until AT&T gets to this area so I have a choice.

9. User Score

July 14th, 2016 Denver, CO

Internet that cuts out often, speeds that are 7-8 times worse than advertised in their plans, customer support that basically amounts to: “did you try turning it off and on again”. Funny story about that, I called to question the above points which had happened to me, and they went through an hour of my time turning various things off and on again, until they put me on hold for 40 minutes to schedule a technician to my house to fix a cable they shoddily put together outside the house. Technician never came, and when I called about that they said they never had an order to send a technician ever.

All in all, terrible company with terrible support. Switch to something more worth your time and money.

10. User Score

June 29th, 2016

Bill kept going up but never got close to ad internet speed. Bye. Cellphone hotspot is 2 x as fast.

11. User Score

June 17th, 2016 Saint Paul, MN

Poor quality internet that frequently cuts out.
    Very long hold times for customer service.
    Frequently transferred from department to department and often disconnected when calling costumer service.
    Excuses excuses excuses from employees.
    No shame in over charging you because they don’t think you will want to deal with the above noted.

12. User Score

May 20th, 2016 Las Vegas, NV

BEWARE!!!!!! Century Link increases your monthly payment on a monthly basis, so if you are NOT checking your statement, you are probably getting RIPPED OFF. If you have auto pay, you NEED to check your bill every month. When we call them on a monthly basis, to get the problem solved, they have all sorts of excuses. They may lower your bill for a month and then they are back to their criminal ways again hoping you are not aware of what’s going on. Our bill INCREASED by $59 this month with no warning. We get a paper statement, so we caught it once again.

13. User Score

March 15th, 2016 Orlando, FL

mediocre product rude defensive, data manipulating support staff. If ever a company deserved to be taken to account for their practices, this one does.

14. User Score

January 7th, 2016 Pleasant Grove, UT

Century Link was a life saver. In a world full of over over priced internet providers (I am taking about you Comcast!), Century Link provided cheap internet that fit all my needs. All I wanted was internet fast enough for streaming services like YouTube and Netflix at an affordable price. Century Link delivered. I pay less than $30 a month and have no problems streaming shows.

The downside to Century Link is that you need a DSL Connection (phone line) in your house. You do not need to pay a phone bill but you do need the connection in your house. Thankfully the apartment my wife and I are in has one.

I know friends of mine who pay $50-$70 for the same internet speed I get with Century Link. And I do not need to buy some stupid tv package. Why would I pay for cable tv when there is Netflix. You can’t go wrong with Century Link!

1 3

15. User Score

December 20th, 2014 Omaha, NE

I signed up for CenturyLink in February 2014 right after moving into my Omaha apartment because the rates were competitive and the specks were comparable to COX in a very good way. I thought I was getting a steel. I quickly learned that was not the case. Upon receiving my modem, I learned that my house wasn’t wired for DSL. That was fine, I called the CenturyLink help line and they told me that they would send someone out to set it up for me, I just had to make the appointment. I was transferred to the appointment line where I was told that someone could come out the next Friday (and seeing how I called on a Thursday that was an entire week away) sometime between eight and four-thirty. I said that was fine but that I worked on Friday so it would be best if they came at four and I would just get off early. I was then informed that I couldn’t make an appointment for a specific time but that the tec would actually arrive sometime between eight and four-thirty.
    “I have work,” I said. “I can’t take a whole day off just to get my internet installed.”
    The man told me he was sorry but that that was my only real option. I made the appointment, thanked him, hung up and promptly called COX.
    “If I switch my internet from CenturyLink to COX right now,” I said, “When is the soonest that you could get someone out to set it up.”
    “I could have someone out tomorrow.”
    “I work tomorrow.”
    “That’s alright,” the man said. “I can get you an appointment for the evening. What time do you get off work?”
    “4:30.”
    “I have a slot from 5-8. Someone would arrive between then.” I took it.
    Immediately after I called CenturyLink to have my service cancelled. What I didn’t realize was that, for whatever reason, the account wasn’t closed but I didn’t realize that until I got a bill in March for an internet service that I never even had. I called right away and informed them of the problem and that I wanted to have my account closed. I was told explicitly that the account had been closed but in April I received another bill, this time for twice the amount. I called CenturyLink again and asked to have the account closed. I was again told that the account was officially closed.
    In May I received another bill and, after a long and arduous conversation with several people bouncing me back and forth, the final person I spoke with then informed me that he would place a request for credit to have the account zeroed out. I thanked him and said I would call back to verify in a few weeks. Before I called back I received another bill, this time from a collection agency. I again called CenturyLink to inquire on the status of the credit. I was told that the paperwork had been misfiled and that this new person would file it correctly. I was again informed that the account had been zeroed out.
    Fast forward to December 19. I’ve just received my third collection call from the debt agency in charge of my apparently outstanding debt. I called CenturyLink after each agency call and was told twice that my account had been balanced out. Today I called again and was informed that, not only was the account still holding a nearly 300 dollar charge but that the credit had been denied and no one bothered to tell me. At this point, I just paid the charge because I can’t believe anything else they say to me. I don’t even fully believe that the account has been paid. I guess I’ll find out when I get my next bill but, should that happen, I will gladly inform them that I have bank records saying that the money was withdrawn from my account.
    The only nice thing I have to say about CenturyLink is that the people I worked with were professional, kind and, at the very least, pretended to be helpful but that doesn’t make up for the months of what essentially adds up to lies, manipulation and inflated charges (for service that I never even HAD mind). I would never, ever recommend CenturyLink and I strongly caution anyone from getting into bed with them in the future.
    Cassie

16. User Score

August 6th, 2014 Pleasant Grove, UT

The internet service is decent. We don’t get as high of speeds as advertised and they play tricks after your promotional year has expired. So you have to sign up again under a new promotion to keep low prices. However, support is pretty spot on when there are issues.