Best Company Guarantee AT&T Internet Logo

AT&T Internet

6.9

LAST UPDATED: July 4th, 2022

AT&T has been providing telecommunications services to people across the United States for more than 30 years. You may have have experience with AT&T as a company dedicated to powering your mobile phone, but they're also a popular TV and internet service provider.

You can bundle phone, TV, and internet plans through AT&T, so if you're in the market for all three, this company may be your go-to ISP. AT&T offers its customers one of the world's largest wireless networks, and it's known for being reliable and strong. The company's large customer base benefits from this wide range of services at reasonable prices that will fit in any budget.

But like all ISPs, AT&T has its limitations: AT&T internet is available in 21 states and offers speed up to 1 Gig. Still impressed? So are we.

View Customer AT&T Internet Reviews

The Good

• Affordable Prices
  • High Speeds
  • Rural Availability
  • Generous Data Cap
  • Equipment
  • Bundling Options

Affordable Prices

AT&T Internet is a popular choice because they have a variety of packages. These plans prices are based on a one-year commitment:

• Internet Basic 5 (DSL Plan) — $30 per month
  • Internet 10-100 (DSL Plan) — $40 per month
  • Internet 100 (Fiber Optic) — $40 per month
  • Internet 300 (Fiber Optic) — $40 per month
  • Internet 1,000 (Fiber Optic) — $60 per month

The following disclaimers apply to each of these packages:

Plus taxes. 12 mo. agmt, other qualifying service & combined billing req'd. Incl 1 TB data/mo. $10 chrg for each add'l 50 GB (up to $100/mo). Limited availability in select areas. May not be available in your area. Visit AT&T to check service availability. Actual customer speeds may vary and are not guaranteed. Download speeds are typically up to 940 Mbps due to overhead capacity reserved to deliver the data. Speeds may also vary based on factors including site traffic, content provider server capacity, internal network management factors, and end user device capabilities. For more information, go to www.att.com/speed101

AT&T offers these high speed internet plans through fiber and DSL internet. Internet Basic 5 and 10-100 are DSL; Internet 100, 300, and 1,000 are offered through fiber. Not every service provider can offer the consistent download and upload speeds of fiber-optic internet, so this option could be worth looking into if it's available in your area. And it's also worth noting that Internet 1,000 has an unlimited data allowance.

The price for an AT&T internet package is even more impressive when the customer compares the prices to some of the competing broadband providers. Top-tier internet plans from some other companies can cost significantly more than the cost of AT&T's fiber plans.

High Speeds

If you're like any other customer, you're looking for more bang for your buck. AT&T's competitive speeds for broadband and fiber could impress you, especially given their modest price tag. These packages provide different levels of high-speed internet connection:

• Basic 5 — Up to 5 Mbps
  • Internet 10–100 — Up to 100 Mbps
  • Internet 300 — Up to 300 Mbps
  • Internet 1,000 — Up to 1,000 Mbps

These are fast download speeds. Customers should understand that these are the maximum possible download speeds, and you could experience slightly lower speeds depending on external factors, like traffic and computer software.

The Internet 10–100 plan is an average broadband speed that will be more than adequate for some customers; however, it may not be available in some areas.

Rural Availability

If the plans above aren't available in your region, you might still have some options with AT&T.

For customers in rural areas, AT&T may be able to provide better data speeds than many competitors through its Fixed Wireless Internet, which uses an outdoor antenna paired with an indoor router to deliver 25 Mbps speeds for $40 per month. And if you want to bump it up to $89.99 a month, you can bundle DirecTV.

Generous Data Cap

One advantage of choosing AT&T as an internet service provider is its generous data cap. With many of its internet plans, AT&T offers a data cap of 1 TB per month. AT&T also offers an unlimited data plan for $90 per month. This is a lot of data, so most customers won’t have to worry about going over the cap.

Equipment

Customers who sign up with AT&T can receive a modem that also acts as a router, providing Wi-Fi service for their devices. If you don't have your own equipment, this is ideal.

However, you'll pay a $35 activation fee if they perform self-guided setup. For technician service, the installation and activation fee is $99.

Bundling Options

You can bundle your internet with U-Verse TV to save on both. Internet providers typically offer cable TV as well, so this isn't an uncommon feature.

The cheapest package, U-Family TV + AT&T Internet, is $89.99 per month. The internet and TV bundles have an unlimited data allowance, which could be a perk for those who were on the fence about adding TV service to their bundle.

The Bad

• Limited Availability
  • Data Surcharges
  • Contract Required
  • Customer Service Complaints

Limited Availability

AT&T does not offer internet service in every state. There are 21 states across the country that have AT&T internet service networks. They are:

• Alabama
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Wisconsin

If you do not live in one of these states, AT&T is not an option for you.

Data Surcharges

While AT&T offers a generous data cap for most plans, there is an additional charge of $10 per 50 GB of data used past the data cap. This additional charge can be as much as $100 per month. If you choose AT&T, be cautious of how much data you are using, because you may end up with a higher internet bill than you planned for.

Contract Required

If you choose AT&T Internet, you'll have to sign a one-year contract. This might discourage you, because ending a contract early can sometimes result in termination fees which can add up. This will limit your ability to change service options if the need arises.

Customer Service Complaints

Some negative reviewers note that customer service has them feeling like they're being passed between representatives without any solution for an issue. This is a common complaint about many ISPs.

However, not every review expresses this sentiment, and many others praise the patience and knowledge of AT&T representatives.

The Bottom Line

You can see some clear advantages to using AT&T Internet from our review. AT&T gives most of their customers four different internet plans to choose from. These high-speed access products offer fast internet speeds and a variety of features. AT&T's Internet 1,000 plan isn't the fastest on the market, but if you have 1 TB in data allowance, this should be plenty for any family.

But keep in mind that part of AT&T Internet's terms and conditions there is a one-year contract. This contract can be inconvenient and result in an early termination fee if you need to move or want to change providers. Additionally, the customer will have to pay an extra fee for any overages.

AT&T is a great internet service provider to choose if you are looking for quality internet access and are already utilizing other services from this company.

Call our recommended rep over at AT&T Internet below.

bestcompany guarantee

Best Company guarantees your satisfaction if you choose a company that has earned this distinction. If you're not satisfied after 30 days, simply let us know and we'll give you $100. Yes, it's really that simple.

Learn More

3.3

fabian Fletcher Dallas, TX

What I love best about AT&t is the fast and reliable internet anytime something goes wrong they there with a quick response ready to rebuild and put back together the internet that I have paid for. But what I don't like is the wait time when speaking to a live representative I think that problem should be rectified so that I'm not talking to automated system too or being pumped from automated to automator other than that the staff is amazing and I'm satisfied with the overall customer service

Cassandra Naylor Huntsville, AL

Work from home, internet is unreliable and useless, goes out daily, sometimes for few minutes other times for hours. Need reliable and consistent WIFI service. In and out during work hours, connectivity is horrible and causes work programs to freeze. No WIFI also affects our home security system, TV, and Google hubs. Connection cuts out while watching television or streaming shows, constant buffering. At night when WIFI goes out, alarm system beeps continuously interrupting our sleep. We do not live in a rural area. Calls to customer service is lengthy on-hold time with scripted diagnostic. One service tech after another come out and internet goes out. Connectivity has been a problem since installation in March. Modem has been changed and replaced lines only to experience same connectivity issues hours later and tech is not available to return. We pay for service that is off more than on. Outage does not relate to outage in area nor weather. I would not recommend AT&T internet service to anyone!!!

1 day ago

heidi m johnson Mt. Pleasant, SC

I have disliked Comcast and couldn't wait to try a different company. I have had At&t for over a year and can say they are more reasonable. I've never had any issues. I recommend them to my family and friends.

Stoney Blazer Republic, MO

They have a fair service with minimal issues. They do rip you on their satellite service. I started out with a $165 monthly bill and with no changes in my service & they have jacked my bill up to $220 a month and that's a basic package with no premium services.

DefToneR Fort Collins, CO

I switched to AT&T after having TMobile for 10 years. Like most of the people, we fall into the trap of "free new phone". Mobile companies are the worst. We know that. Is an Scam that is protected by laws, not sure how they can still operate and keep doing the same. Anyway out bill that was 100 in tmobile for 2 "top of the line black label service" went to 220 U$, with no service coverage outside US (except for mexico) when TMobile offered us basic internet plane for free in almost 30 other countries. We called several times so they explain our invoice price, they dont know how to explain it to you. THey are random fees because you are paying for the phone so you have a fee for that fee and taxes over the fees, all that. We are moving back to Tmobile after they are going to pay part of our debt of the phones (that we purchased 1+ year ago...) Also we switched to AT&T because of supposedly coverage while RVing, and yup, didnt work. All maps are based in "Signal" but not quality. Some places, for example, south from San Diego, you have better signal with ATT but that tower is maxed out, you can barely send a message, forget to download a picture. Internet (Fiber in florida) worked perfect when was installed correctly, then the cable was cut just by the wind, and then wanted to charge us 200 U$ for installation, when was a problem with their original installation (to tense cable). The service works as intended, but just pray not to need to get into the phone with them or ask for a fix. Also, internet is a MUST this days, for work, for safely, for even some houses to work. But yeah, they dont work on Saturdays afternoon or sundays, because they dont want to pay twice the hour to the install guy, So, since people work during the week, all schedule for saturday (half day) are full, so if your internet dies on Friday morning, you are looking forward to get a tech guy with luck at Monday

Bridget Walker Bay Saint Louis, MS

At&t has the fastest most reliable wifi service available. With 5g speeds for all your streaming and downloading needs. I have been an AT&T customer for ten years now and I couldn't ask for a better service.

Jennifer Amarillo, TX

ATT gets better with their specials every year. I have been with them for over a decade now. I would not trade out. They are very negotiable and understanding. The wait time if you need to speak with a representative is not bad at all. The prices are pretty straight forward.

Simone Seitz Muskego, WI

I am happy with my internet service through AT&T. I have had it for several years now and have no complaints. It has been very reliable and I have encountered very few problems over that time. I would highly recommend their service!

Kristine Tulloh New York, NY

Worst experience ever. They quoted me a price and when i got my billing it was right. I called and told them what i was offered and they said it wasn't a legit offer. They refused to pull the call and verify info. I returned all equipment and they still charged me and sent to collections for the difference in amount i was quoted. I never paid it

Susan P Moniz Waipahu, HI

AT&T is the provider for my iPad and iPhone for more than 20 years. I have never experienced dropped calls and other problems. I can travel anywhere in the world and maintain contact with all the important people and businesses.

Sam Massey Seaside, CA

AT&T has provided affordable, fast, and reliable customer service for all of my internet needs for over a year. I received 1TB download speeds, and have no bandwidth problems even with four people living in my house. Outages are rare, and customer service is always quick, friendly and effective. I highly recommend them to anyone who needs internet service they can count on.

Lynda Burns Philadelphia, PA

Experience was great very helpful in the installation and good at answering and questions I have about it.

Jane Milton Reidsville, NC

Great Coverage- 5G Is The Best For Clarity And Speed. Quick To Fix Any Kinks Or Tech Problems. At&T Is A Great Company For Your Internet.

Giovana Pinckney Charlotte, NC

There are only so many internet companies to choose from and unfortunately, they know that. The customer service is OKAY and the actual service is OKAY. They care about money first and customers last. Employees are not all trained the same and will all give you different information.

Bun1448 Livonia, MI

We have AT&T internet and they have been excellent in their customer service. The service is great and have had no problems with the service they provide us.

LaVoya Searcy Siloam Springs, AR

I like the fact they've been around a long time. I can go into a service center and usually get waited on either minutes. They are usually very helpful in resolving my phone needs, and I'm usually satisfied.

Cassandra Harris TX

Very professional and knowledgeable customer service. Suprised by how fast I received my order. Wasn't expecting such a fast delivery but was quite impressed even though I decided to stick with my current provider. I definitely recommend them highly.

JR Galvan Houston, TX

They have several plans available with really good internet speeds, but the plans always go up in price after a few months, customer service is not real good, if you need help at home they will charge extra for any service request. Not recommended.

L Hill Chicago, IL

We recently upgraded to Fiber through At&t and it is really high quality grade, reliable, and super fast. We have not noticed any buffering or lag in speed even while using 5 or more devices at once on wifi network. At&t makes it easy to log into your isp settings to restart gateway or make changes to get optimal speed or just simply clear any unnecessary device build up which helps us because we stream tv alot an work from home.

John Showtyme Guidry Dallas, TX

It makes my business available to compete with the other trucking companies with on board internet service

Thais Copeland Satsuma, AL

I had their service for only three days, and had to call them come and get your equipment. Th e internet service was not worth for my money. It was slow as malaises. The same was for the cell phone, I had to dropped them, because I was not getting a good connection and the calls kept dropping. So to the person reading this, do your research about the best service provider in your area before you sign the contract. Also the customer service was not the best ever. So good luck.

Snapper Rogers Indianapolis, IN

We had them for a year and I can't remember one time that our service was down or it would not stream. They have excellent internet.

Matthew Huffman Atlanta, GA

In the months of the pandemic i tried numerous times to lower my internet bill as all others had been lowered because of income loss. Nothing could get them to lower my bill. No begging, no information, no government relief effort. I tried every single month since losing that job and was constantly told nothing could be done. Lo, and behold: i was able to get a dofferent internet via t-mobile and called to cancel only to be told they can infact lower my bill. By 50%! Imagine! Not a cent should go to this evil corporation. They should fall to the wayside. We are cash cattle for them and they care not for us.

Mario Martin Montgomery, TX

I've recently moved away to an area that does not offer the quality and reliability that I had experienced for many years with AT&T Internet and my current experience with a "competitor" is like "night & day". What I wouldn't do to have my peace of mind that came with AT&T Internet fast internet service and reliable technical support services.

Mary Daniels Detroit, MI

AT&T are reliable when it comes to the internet. They also upgraded the speed and the customer service are accurate with their knowledge of troubleshooting. I have WiFi through AT&T and the gaming area for my son is always satisfactory-MD

Clara L El Paso, TX

AT&T Internet has good quality service. I live in a deserted area so we get a lot of sand storms and I never lose service. My only issue is AT&T can get very expensive. You might be okay in a locked contract aka deal but once that contract is over, you might as well hand AT&T your bank account.

Debora Paez Columbia, MO

The service itself is not too bad but the customer service, company transparency and billing are a mess. As a paying customer for a long time, every monthly bill I got had a different amount on it. I would have to call customer service to dispute such so I could pay what we had agreed on monthly for the plan I signed up for. Customer service takes a long time to take calls, not too helpful with problems so they transfer you to someone else where you wait some more, and then they tell you that the planned you signed up for was only a fixed price for a year thus expired. This company offers great internet thus taking care of these problems would put it up there with other internet services.

Rhoshaun Rutledge Oklahoma City, OK

There was never any pause or cliching but overall everyone was nice

She Williams Seattle, WA

Great service prices was affordable I love it

Angela Nicole Harpring Connersville, IN

AT&T is one of the worst internet providers. The Internet is very slow and you get charged for "overages"

mark walther Houston, TX

They cost too much for the service provided. The customer service for a supposed US corporation with American Telegraph and Telephone as their name, get's you to somewhere in the Philippians , India, or god knows where! Not only is it hard to even understand them almost all the time but it takes over an hour of questions just to get something simple done which should take five to fifteen minutes tops. Very, very frustrating at best.

Tammy Bright Lexington, KY

I lived in a rural area and had the internet with the towns usual internet provider. It was so bad, I could not keep a connection to work from home. As soon as AT&T came to town, I signed up for their service. I not only was able to stream movies and TV shows,I was able to o work from home with no problems. Go AT&T!!

Yuli Gallardo Delray Beach, FL

I am an AT&T internet client for over a year now and have no complaints on their service. I can work from home with a piece of mind that my internet will not fail me, and also is great for my TV app streaming. Prices are very affordable and the registration process super easy as well. Highly recommended!

Aubrey Dallas, TX

I've used at&t internet for years and I've just barely switched me and my family to their phone plans. I've really liked the internet and I feel like they always have good deals and you end up saving more money than you would from a different internet service. Overall I really like them.

Melissa Mercado San Antonio, TX

AT&T has an amazing cable platform with a cool playback feature.

Cynthia Landing Forest City, IL

AT&T internet services worked well for me my signals stay strong which I depend on my internet services for other things in my home like streaming tv’s, security system and my cellphone. The customer service was polite, patient and clearly knowledgeable if you experience a problem unfortunately I’m saddened to where I moved which is in the rural area their service isn’t offered otherwise I will be a customer of theirs today

debby fronke Gurnee, IL

I had not had wifi for years I simply had no money for it...and when I did at&t turned my life around!! They offered me a 10$ program for low income,I have had the router for 9 mos.not one single time has it gone off,its near flawless...i can use it as much as I want and because of having it I was able to hook up my roku to have alot of channels to stream...customer service has been great ,and made it so easy each month to pay online,they even cut me a break a few times when I was late with payment..I simply love at&t!!

Chuck Vaughn Tulsa, OK

I am very satisfied with ATT (Uverse) Internet(DSL). I have been with them for many years and I have a very few problems. The cost is really not bad if internet is bundled with phone. I have always found customer serv. to be easy to deal with and tech support walks me through procedures. When a tech comes to my home they are knowledgeable, friendly, etc. The only downside to the service is that the weather causes signal loss which is unavoidable with satellite. I recently considered switching to cable but after reading the reviews I decided NO!!!! I have very rarely seen so many 0ne Star reviews!

Fabiane Valduga Miami, FL

Internet doesn't work and AT&T informed that the technician can come to fix the problem in 5 days, this is what they say to their valued customer, they do not provide a good service and they don't care if you need the internet to work remotely. Be careful when choosing this provider, you can be very disappointed.

Shi**yservice Detroit, MI

When they come to fix an issue they need like 8 different trucks with maybe one person actually working and even that person only worked very little to fix a line and they will say it's done while you still don't have service . Then they make you call and get a ticket number on a day they have available to finish fixing it correctly

Miguel Suarez Los Angeles, CA

At the time I was a customer it was very expensive, and the data is limited and if you go over is extra charge. The speed is not as advertised is not even close to that .

Carol C Denver, CO

At&t has gotten better. Used to lag and get congested but I noticed recently it's not doing that as often. Not as good as Comcast but not bad either!

CLESHETTA Milwaukee, WI

Great service. During the pandemic increased my usage for the same price, to accommodate everyone being home.

This Girl San Francisco, CA

I love AT&T internet because it is affordable and the WIFI comes with it for Free so I can power more of my Grandkids Gagits

Cindy Meens Houston, TX

Coverage everywhere even places you wouldn’t think could have internet. Fast and secure. Dependable service with great apps. I loved this service!

Judi Mauldin, SC

I loved when I was able to get AT&T U-Verse for internet and cable. Very good quality product. I wish they offered the service at my current residence.

Gary Wilkins

At &T is a great company .. products are great and I have used them for a long time. I especially like their cellular network fast and never issues with any calls

Ronald Cohen Sherwood, AR

The service reliable, but is pricey. Customer service varies depending on which call center takes the call. Foreign locations do their best but often can be frustrating to work with because of the language differences.

Siobhan Fitzgerald Seattle, WA

I have been an AT&T customer for the past 3 years and I am happy with their customer service. I use their internet and it's been great, I don't have any complaints.

Emily Swierczynski Waterford, MI

ATT used to have good service in my area, but no matter where I've moved they always have the slowest speeds available. I've never lived in a single place they offer fiber or speeds over 50 down, yet they charge the same for gig compared to competitors.