NewSmile

7.6

sell See Special Offer chevron_right

LAST UPDATED: October 21st, 2021

Based in Canada with an office in the United States, NewSmile is an invisible braces provider that corrects patients’ smiles through clear, plastic teeth aligners as an alternative to traditional braces. Invisible braces are an affordable, low hassle, less noticeable alternative to metal braces as an orthodontic treatment . NewSmile offers both an upfront cost and a monthly payment plan. All treatments also come with premium whitening foam for a complete smile makeover. The NewSmile aligner treatment is completed at home without any appointments with an orthodontist, though the entire process is supervised by orthodontists and dentists remotely. Treatments are available in Canada, the United States, and Hong Kong.

Patients can use HSA and FSA to cover the cost of the treatment in the form of reimbursements. Patients will have to check their policy to see if cosmetic dentistry or beauty and health are covered in their plan. If so, NewSmile can provide a detailed receipt that can be sent to the insurance company with a claim.

Go directly to NewSmile reviews

Video Customer Reviews

Alexandra Pegues Customer Review Video About NewSmile

Alexandra Pegues

Caroline Barnes Customer Review Video About NewSmile

Caroline Barnes

The Good

• Average Treatment Time
  • Impression Specialists
  • Risk-Free Impression Kit
  • Low Upfront Cost
  • Free Set of Retainers
  • Smile Guarantee

Average Treatment Time

NewSmile’s average treatment time is 4–6 months. Though some treatments may take shorter and some may take up to a year, the average time is about on par with other invisible aligner companies. This average treatment time isn’t the shortest, but it’s on the average to quicker side in the industry.

As with other types of dental treatment, each case is individual and largely depends on how well the patient wears their NewSmile aligners. It’s recommended to wear the clear aligners at least 22 hours a day and only take them out for eating and drinking beverages other than water. Doing this will give the quickest treatment time possible. Additionally, patients should brush their teeth before putting their aligners back in to keep them clean and aid in overall dental health.

NewSmile also offers Night Aligners which, if worn for 10 continuous hours at night, average an 8-10 month treatment time.

Impression Specialists

Many customers complain that the impression kits used to create initial impressions of a patient’s teeth are difficult to use. NewSmile has patients schedule a video call with an impression specialist when they use the impression kit to help patients and make sure they’re using the kit correctly.

The impression kit consists of putty, two trays, and a smile stretcher. Patients need to mix up the putty and put it into the trays evenly to ensure a good impression. Using the smile stretcher can feel awkward, but shouldn’t be painful. Having a video call with a specialist can help make sure all steps required are done properly and that the impressions are precise.

Risk-Free Impression Kit

NewSmile offers a risk free impression kit, meaning that anyone can try the impression kit and will get a full refund if they’re not a good candidate for a NewSmile treatment. Invisible braces can treat mild to moderate crowding or spacing as well as many different types of bite issues.

NewSmile offers a smile assessment on its website to also help customers determine if they’re a good fit for an invisible braces treatment. The assessment asks about a person’s teeth and bite, and asks for a photo of their teeth clenched together. Sending this assessment in can help customers determine if they should go forward with treatment or not. If still unsure, starting with the impression kit doesn’t hurt.

Many people can qualify for NewSmile’s clear aligner treatment. People with dental implants or missing teeth can also qualify. When talking with the impression specialist, customers should mention where their implant is or which tooth is missing. Customers will also have to remove any permanent retainers and discuss any dental bonding with their impression specialist.

Low Upfront Cost

For customers who want to pay the lowest price, the upfront cost is the way to go. The only downfall is that it has to be paid all at once. The upfront cost $1,195, which is one of the lowest upfront costs in the industry.  The entire cost includes an impression kit, treatment preview, all plastic aligners, a set of retainers, and whitening foam. NewSmile also offers periodic discounts on its website if customers share their email address.

If the upfront cost doesn’t work with a customer’s budget, NewSmile also offers a low monthly price of $84 paid with no interest over 12  months with a $295 deposit. This monthly payment is around the average monthly payment in the invisible braces industry, but most companies have contracts of 24 months instead of 12 months with NewSmile. The total cost with this method is $1,295, which is also one of the lowest costs in the industry.

Free Set of Retainers

After finishing the last set of invisible aligners, NewSmile provides a free set of retainers. These retainers are to be worn every night in order to prevent teeth from moving back to where they were. Many companies charge extra for a retainer after treatment, so having a set included in the overall low cost is a great benefit.

Smile Guarantee

In addition to a free set of retainers, NewSmile will also send additional aligners if customers aren't happy with their new smile. At the beginning of every treatment, customers will receive a preview of what their smile will look like after treatment. If a patient finds that their smile doesn't look like what their preview showed it would, NewSmile will work with them to fix it. As long as a patient followed their treatment instructions and wore the aligners correctly, NewSmile will send additional aligners at no cost to help each customer attain a beautiful smile.

The Bad

Down Payment Required

NewSmile's low monthly cost of $84 paid over 12 months is one of the lowest in the industry. Unfortunately customers can't have that price unless they pay a $295 deposit. Other invisible braces companies have lower deposit prices, but it's also important to note that NewSmile's monthly payment is extremely cheap in comparison to those same companies.

The Bottom Line

NewSmile offers one of the least expensive invisible braces treatments in the industry. The monthly cost is extremely inexpensive, though customers do have to pay a relatively high down payment price in order to get the monthly payment option. The company’s average treatment time is around the standard for the industry, but NewSmile also offers a set of retainers for free after a customer completes the treatment plan, which is a great value.

The company also has a video call system with impression specialists that can help potential customers correctly complete their impression kits. Customers can also contact the company if their new smile doesn't match their preview and they can receive additional aligners at no cost to attain their perfect smile. In the end, if you’re looking for straighter teeth, NewSmile seems like it could be a good fit for you.

Message from
NewSmile

NewSmile is helping those that want straighter teeth and a better smile for a 75% LESS cost than braces, without walk-in clinic appointments.

Our innovative technology and services look to transform the lives of many people in remote areas who would desire straighter teeth at an affordable price — in North America and abroad.

keyboard_arrow_up keyboard_arrow_down

Anna San Francisco, CA

The aligners are fine and the price is god but the packaging looks like it was printed on a desktop printer and it is incredible how long it takes them fill the order. I waited a really long time. Customer service is responsive but it could be better.

Reply from NewSmile

Thanks for the feedback, and we’re continually looking to improve everything! Please let us know if you need anything!

Aug. 26th, 2021

Dakotah Lange

My only issue with them is that they say a certain time frame and then they'll pass it by an extra 6 weeks. So it's a little disappointing on that front. I'm currently waiting for my retainers and whiting stuff and i'm hoping they'll be here in the next 3-4 weeks.

Reply from NewSmile

Hello Dakotah. We are sorry to hear about your experience. Our goal is to send your custom-made aligners as soon as possible. Your aligners are now in fabrication and we are doing our best to send them to you the soonest. Please send us an email at [email protected] if you have any questions or clarifications!

Jun. 8th, 2021

Bhavik

Overall I had a good experience. Their treatment did not work for me so I am just waiting on the refund. But their communication was reasonably clear and their customer service team was generally helpful. Just one feedback I'd have for them is that things moved very slowly and that's something that they should work on. But otherwise no complaints.

Reply from NewSmile

Hello Bhavik. We are so sad to hear that the treatment did not work for you. We really appreciate your feedback. We treat mild to moderate cases and we are doing our best to send your custom-made aligners if you are a candidate as soon as possible. Please send us an email if you have any questions or clarifications about your refund.

Jun. 8th, 2021

Victoria

The person who helped me with my impressions was very thorough and kind and patient. The waiting period it longer than I expected but they are quick to respond when I email them.

Reply from NewSmile

We are glad that you are happy with the impression session! Our goal is to make the process easier for customers like you! We are sorry for the delays, we will make sure to answer all your questions via email, send it over at [email protected]

Lindsey Drover

I sent my impressions back 6 weeks ago and still have no got anything, not even my visual email. Seems to be taking way too long at this point. So my survey isn't accurate due to the fact I have nothing to base it on.

Reply from NewSmile

Hi Lindsey! Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry for the delays and I will follow up your order to our team. We will contact you and will keep you posted. Please do not hesitate to email us at [email protected] We are always here to help!

Victor

It's too still early to judge and it's only been my 4th week. Also, I've had issues with the length of time they shipped my aligners - it took them too long.

Reply from NewSmile

Hi Victor! Thank you for your feedback. We always make sure that your custom-made aligners will fit and will follow the treatment goal. Your impressions are very important for this process. Please contact us at [email protected] and we would love to assist you!

Johnny Chan Portland, OR

It’s been serval weeks since I made my entire payment and still I am no closer to receiving my slingers. The first impressions did not work, but nobody contacted me. After I contacted New Smile, the sent me larger trays at my cost. These did not work for my uppers, so now I am waiting again. At this rate, it will be over 3 months before I’ll see my aligned. This experience has been highly disappointing.

Reply from NewSmile

Oh no! This is not the experience that we would like you to have, Johnny. Our goal is to send your custom-made aligners as soon as possible. We would love to look into your order and check what happened. Please send us an email at [email protected]!

Jun. 22nd, 2021

Stephanie Amherst, OH

Everything was pretty good and convenient but I cannot figure out how long I am wearing them for.

Reply from NewSmile

Hello Stephanie! We really appreciate your feedback. Your Treatment preview should show the duration of your treatment. Generally, Day Aligners should be worn 22 hours a day for 2 weeks per tray, and Night Aligners should be worn 10 hours a day for 2 weeks. Please also email us at [email protected] so we can help you further regarding your concern. We are always happy to assist.

Aug. 30th, 2021

Kimberla Bell Dallas, TX

I have had an uneasy experience so far. I have been waiting about 3 months to get my molds done to receive my trays. I'm hoping third time is the charm. Maybe a better questionnaire would help to avoid sending out the wrong tray sizes? Stay tuned to see my end results...

Reply from NewSmile

Hello Kimberla. We are so sorry to hear about your experience in making the impressions. We also appreciate your feedback and will let our team know about it. We usually send average trays to our customers. Can you please measure the size of your mouth and send it to [email protected]? Thank you!

M

Customer service is not good but the rest has been fine. The braces are comfortable and I think they are good.

Reply from NewSmile

We apologize for the experience that you had. We ensure to provide the best customer service and this feedback is a big help. Please send us your order number at [email protected] to further investigate.

Kristine

I don't like that I need to take off the rough edges and don't find the tracking is easy

Reply from NewSmile

Hi Kristine! Thank you for your feedback. Yes, some might need to file the edges of the aligners. We also have our NewSmile app that can help you with tracking! Please send us an email at [email protected] nd we would love to assist you!

Kless Van Nuys, CA

The staff was helpful and professional. I’m disappointed it has taken more then 3 months just to get my impression done. Now I have to wait two more months until I can possibly start my treatment.

Reply from NewSmile

We truly appreciate you sharing this with us. Rest assured that we are taking action for our customers to have the best experience. Please feel free to contact us so we can check this order. Thank you so much for your time!

Mar. 18th, 2021

Stefanie

Not improving as much as 3d scale shown and teeth are very sensitive.

Reply from NewSmile

We are so sorry to hear about your experience with the treatment. This is not the experience we would like you to have. Please do email us at [email protected] for us to check your case and assist you with this.

Jun. 2nd, 2021

Danielle

Even though I ordered them almost six months ago I only got them a week ago.

Reply from NewSmile

We are sorry to hear about your experience. This is not the experience that we would like you to have. Our goal is to send your custom-made aligners as soon as possible. We would love to look into your order and check what happened. Please send us an email at [email protected]!

Chantel Anderson Brandon, MB

Would be nice if they sent a few extra putties to mould in the event a mistake is made. $50 for 2 putty trays is pretty steep. Not impressed.

Reply from NewSmile

Hello Chantel. We are so sorry to hear about your experience and we really appreciate your feedback. I will let our team know about this. Please make sure to book an impression session with our specialists so we can assist you in making impressions. Feel free to email us at [email protected] if you have any questions.

Peter Spence , ON

Putty & impression moulds arrived loose in a small envelope. No return address or postage paid box. I would recommend the competition as they send things in a box with free return shipping.

Mr Boire Windsor, ON

Wrong size impression kit. No local dentists. Toronto isn't the only place people live in Ontario.

Reply from NewSmile

Hello Shawn. We are so sorry to hear that you need a different size tray. We usually send average trays to our customers. We also have affiliate clinics in Burlington and we are looking forward to having more this year. Can you please measure the size of your mouth and send it to [email protected]? Thank you!

Kathleen Dodd-Moher Nepean, ON

So far so good. Staff was helpful with making the impressions, yet to receive my aligners

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you so much for your feedback! We are very happy to help! :)

Jan. 14th, 2021

Karim Rekik Montreal, QC

Great customer service but shipping is the problem

Reply from NewSmile

Thanks for your review, and our apologies, due to the Holiday Season, and current events, where shipments have been delayed by Canada post. We hope this will be resolved shortly.

Jan. 14th, 2021