We receive a commission for orders made from the links on this page.

Founded in 2005 and headquartered in Arizona, LifeLock offers identity theft protection services that include public records monitoring, financial account monitoring, and credit monitoring. LifeLock is a modern identity theft protection company that services millions of members and provides identity theft protection to individuals, families, and businesses. According to LifeLock's website, "data breach criminals" often have the abilities to commit identity theft long after a breach occurs. LifeLock will send fraud alerts to customers of any potentially suspicious activity and will help address identity theft victim problems. Using the promo code "BestCom," Best Company visitors can get 25% off a LifeLock protection plan. Terms apply.

The Good

• Identity Theft Protection
  • Recovery Services
  • Million Dollar™ Protection Package
  • 24/7 Live Member Support
  • Money-Back Guarantee
  • Pricing
  • Mobile App

Identity Theft Protection

LifeLock provides several identity theft protection services in an effort to catch identity theft and identity fraud before it happens. LifeLock customers can receive credit monitoring services from all three major credit bureaus (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion), internet scanning and dark web monitoring, data breach notifications, social security number monitoring, financial account monitoring, and more. Identity theft can ruin everything from credit scores and credit reports to taxes and savings accounts. LifeLock offers multiple identity theft protection services to help provide each customer with the protection and security they are looking for.

Recovery Services

In the event that a customer becomes a victim of identity theft, LifeLock offers a number of recovery services to help restore the customer's identity to pre-theft status. The company provides limited power of attorney/time with restoration specialists and lost wallet protection. LifeLock also assists with financial, medical, criminal, and tax identity recovery. For a fee of $300, LifeLock will also work with customers with pre-existing identity theft conditions.

Million Dollar™ Protection Package*

LifeLock offers up to $1 million in its million-dollar protection package, which covers up to $2,000 in replacement of lost or stolen documents, up to $2,500 in traveling expenses, up to $6,000 in lost wages, up to $6,000 in elderly and childcare, up to $10,000 in fraudulent withdrawals, and up to $1 million in legal services in the event of identity theft.

24/7 Live Member Support

LifeLock provides reliable customer service by giving customers access to 24/7 live member support agents. The identity protection service provider will notify customers (via alerts) of potentially fraudulent activity and will help customers determine how to handle the threats. LifeLock will monitor customers' information around-the-clock so customers can rest with a peace of mind. LifeLock's website also provides a list of helpful identity theft protection advice and educational resources (regarding credit reports, credit score monitoring, social security cards, credit freezes, and personally identifiable information) for customers to access at any time.

Money-Back Guarantee

The identity theft protection company offers a 60-day complete money-back guarantee to annual LifeLock account members that request a refund within the appropriated 60 days post-billing. Meanwhile, some other companies in the identity theft protection industry do not offer a complete money-back guarantee with their services. LifeLock's pro-rated refund promise emphasizes the company's confidence as well as its service guarantee.

Pricing

LifeLock offers three identity theft protection options to choose from: the LifeLock Standard plan that costs $9.99 a month, the LifeLock Advantage plan that costs members $19.99 a month, and the LifeLock Ultimate Plus plan that costs $29.99 per month. Best Company visitors can use the promo code "BestCom," to get 25% off of all LifeLock identity theft protection options. Terms apply. These options include social security number alerts and credit alerts. Within the industry, LifeLock's plans are priced at lower rates and allow customers the flexibility to choose how much they want to invest in identity protection services and security.

Mobile App

Customers are able to get the LifeLock mobile app that allows them to receive and respond to alerts while on-the-go and easily obtain customer service help through the in-app member services feature. With the LifeLock mobile app, customers can access their credit scores from all three credit bureaus. According to the LifeLock website, the mobile app also includes "dark web activity detection, fictitious identity monitoring, court records scanning, and investment account activity alerts." Overall, the mobile app is an extra feature that helps protect customers from identity theft and identity fraud.

The Bad

No Antivirus Software

In contrast to many other identity theft protection companies, LifeLock does not provide customers with antivirus software to protect sensitive data on their personal computers from identity thieves. Identity thieves often target personal computer systems which means that LifeLock customers will need to pay personal out-of-pocket expenses for additional identity theft protection in regard to antivirus software. Some other companies in the identity theft protection industry offer antivirus software within their standard plan/package to save customers personal expense and to provide further identity protection.

The Bottom Line

LifeLock offers extensive protection services as well as identity restoration services including lost wallet protection to those who have fallen victim of identity theft or fraud. Additionally, the company offers a Million Dollar™ Protection Package and 24/7 live member support customer service. The company's Million Dollar™ Protection Package covers lost or stolen documents, wages, and more. LifeLock also provides educational resources, a money-back guarantee, a detailed mobile app, and reasonable pricing in comparison to other protection services.

LifeLock has three identity theft protection options that can include credit, social security, bank account, credit card, and crimes/other fraud alerts as well as credit report and credit score monitoring and updates from all three major credit bureaus, etc. The one major downside of the company is that it does not seem to provide antivirus software which limits some LifeLock account members from additional identity protection as they would have to pay out-of-pocket expenses to get antivirus software. Above all, if you are looking for a reliable company to help protect your identity and personal information, LifeLock is a great company to choose from.

*Coverage for lawyers and experts, up to $1 million for all plans, if needed. Benefits provided by Master Policy issued by United Specialty Insurance Company, Inc. (State National Insurance Company, Inc. for NY State members). Policy terms, conditions and exclusions at LifeLock.com/legal. LifeLock does not monitor all transactions at all businesses. Phone alerts are made during normal local business hours.

View Best Identity Theft Protection Companies

4.0

Bob
July 15th, 2014

They have done exactly what they say they will.

Amber
July 10th, 2014

LifeLock's customer service has always been responsive and I like the alerts I get on a regular basis. I like LifeLock and would definitely recommended them to others.

michael ciabocchi
July 10th, 2014

i signed up for lifelock ultimate 1 day ago. was sent a tem id and password, got logged in. after successfully changing my ID to my email, i could not chaNge the temp password because the system was down. today i started the process again, all was smooth until i was asked 3 questions and whether they related to me( street name etc) and how much was my mo bill for the last car leased or bought. (seperated from my wife,i tried calling her because u have a whopping 5 minutes to answer questions...it's natural that some spouse pay bills and the other does not know or remember the amount.. i tried reaching my wife, unable, so i guessed. i was wrong. i was given 1 chance to answer another qustion which was what state was my ssn related To. had the right answer, got a notice sorry, we can't verify your id ,call this number. i cAll the number explain the issue, i'm then asked to answer a series of questions related to my credit report such as who is my mortgage with (my loan has been bot and sold at least 5x since i took it out) i don't pay most bills so i stated i would probably not be able to answer Some things because my wife pays a good majority and i don't have a clue how much my utility bill may be. so iasked if i could conference in my wife to help me answer questions and was told no, you have to call back wioth her on the phone. what? i can't conference her in, don't live with her so how do i call back with her on the phone, meet her and share a cell phone and answer questions. ? what's the difference between caling back with her already conferenced in and being physically with her? so i was told if i tried and answered incorrecty i would have to furnish a copy of my credit report(really?) or verify my id with a utility bill(it's in my wife's name so i have no utility bill in my name) and some other things. i asked if i could cancel, but before that's done can i try the process again. i was told no. unfortunately some couples seperate or get divorced and lets say the husband continues to provide financial support, which is not an issue) but doesn't know who the mortgage is paid to or other questions related to bills THAT I PROVIDE $ FOR BUT DON'T PHYSICALLY PAY , HENCE I MIGHT NOT KNOW THE AMOUNT OF THE UTILITY BILL, OR WHO HOLDS MY MORTGAGE, OR THE PAYMENT ON MY LAST CAR LOAN OR LEASE PAYMENT BECAUSE MY WIFE PAYS THEM, I PROVIDE THE $$> HOW CAN U POSSIBLY ANSWER THOSE QUESTIONS, AND IF U CANNOT, JUST WASTE MORE TIME, SIGN UP TO A CREDIT BUREAU AND GET A CREDIT REPORT AND SENT IT OVER AND YOU'LL HEAR FROM US..WHEN? A WEEK, A MONTH A YEAR. WELL SIR AFTER YOU ANSWERED 1 QUSTION WRONG NEAR THE END YOU COULD HAVE HIT THE BACK BUTTON AND RETRIED, REALLY? WHERE DID IT SAY THAT. IT DOESN'T..IT TAKES YOU TO THE 4TH QUESTION ABOUT WHERE YOU SSN#(STATE) ORIGINATED FROM)...THAT'S WHERE I GOT BOUNCED. ROUGHLY BETWEEN LAST EVENING AND THIS AM I SPENT 2-3 HOURS TRYING TO SORT THIS OUT. $25 BUCKS A MONTH. I WOULD NOT PAY A DOLLAR FOR THE SERVICE , WHICH I COULDN'T DO ANYWAY BECAUSE I CAN'T ANSWER QUESTIONS THAT SEPERATED COUPLES OR DIVORCED COUPLES MIGHT NOT KNOW...GOOD LUCK LIFE LOCK...IF YOU ARE IN MY SHOES, UNFORTUNATELY SEPERATED, DON'T WASTE 3 HOURS AND LOTS OF HEADACHES. ONE DEPT HAS NO IDEA WHAT THE OTHER ONE MAY ASK YOU. IT'S NOT SEAMLESS, IT'S SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA, BUT NOT MY CUP OF TEA... LIFELOCK, LISTEN CLOSELY, FROM THE MARRIAGE FOUNDATION, BASED ON CURRENT RATES OF DIVORCE, 39% OF COUPLES WILL DIVORCE. COUPLES THAT SURVIVE THE FIRST DECADE FACE IDENTICAL RATES OF DIVORCE REGARDLESS OF WHEN MARRIED. 1 IN 5 OCCUR AFTER 20 YEARS AND ON AND ON..YOU ARE MISSING A DEMOGRAPHIC THAT REALLY BOGGLES MY MIND THAT NO ONE IN SENIOR MANAGEMENT HAS FIGURED OUT. IF I CAN'T ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT FINANCES, HOW CAN I EVER BE APPROVED FOR YOUR SERVICE. I ANSWER 2 OUT OF 3 CORRECTLY , WAS GIVEN, I THOUGHT A CHANCE AT REDEMTION BY CORRECTLY ANSWERING THE 4TH TO NO AVAIL AND CANCELLED MY "MEMBERSHIP" OH YEAH "ON A PRO RATA BASIS" SINCE SIGNING UP..THAT WAS ABOUT 20 HOURS AGO. CAVEAT EMPTOR

Debbie Singer
July 10th, 2014

My father had Lifelock for several years. When he became ill, I found fraud dating back for a year. I advised them about the fraud and they told me to first work with the credit card company and when the credit card company made their determination and there were still disputed charges they would then start their review of the situation. I did as they told me and during the credit card company investigation my father died. I have full POA and I am the sole heir to the estate. I contacted them to get them to intervene as instructed and they refused. They said the fact that my father died meant they no longer had any responsibility. I pointed out to them that the fraud occurred while he was alive and the fraud had been reported to them prior to his death. His death should not invalidate them protecting him from the fraud that occurred during the dates he was covered and all premiums had been paid in good faith. This is a contractual violation. I have filed a complaint with the BBB as well as the Texas Attorney General's office. I will take further action if need be but that is so unfair that I would have to go to these lengths to obtain their assistance, under the contract, that my dad paid for. Period.

Sarah Tackett
July 10th, 2014

We have had LifeLock many years now. In all the years I have only received one piece of mail from them. Wonder if they even know I pay a monthly fee to be a member? :(

don
July 10th, 2014

My experience with LifeLock was mixed initially and then became worse this year. Most of what I was paying for seemed to be the credit monitoring service. However, when someone opened a cell phone account in my name and worked under my social security number, I didn't get an alert because it wasn't reported to a credit bureau. Then we called to get help from LifeLock and they said sorry that's not covered under our plan and we had to fix it ourselves. Totally different than the commercials make it seem. I now see several lawsuits so maybe I'm not the only one.

Salem Z.
May 28th, 2014

I was a Lemon wallet user and they took over updated the app to lifelock and my credit card info was still there. But on the latest update I cannot access their service anymore where my username and password doesn't work. I need to delete my credit cards details and I'm stuck now. What if someone manages to get access to this account how should I know?! Won't this defeats the purpose?!

Roger Allen
May 28th, 2014

I have been a LifeLock customer for several years and thankfully I have thus far been safe. However, what disturbs me is their billing system. Without going into an elaborate description of what happened to me I will quote a comment made to me by one of their customer service representatives, "We do a good job at protecting your identity but our billing department leaves a lot to be desired." I came to this site looking for an alternative to LifeLock because for the past few months they have been very confused and have completely screwed up my billing. Additionally, I recently received incorrect information from one of their supervisors while on the phone attempting to correct the mess they created. Frustrated, I made the comment that my confidence in them has been shaken and asked them who is going to protect me from LifeLock.

April 28th, 2014

I've been looking into this type of ID prtection....after reading the reviews, especially about customer service, it sounds like LifeLock is the way to go.

dom cappuccilli
April 18th, 2014

I have life-lock it's awesome...wouldn't change it ever.

helen blowers
April 4th, 2014

I was leary of signing up with life lock, but after a freind had his identity stolen, i decided $99 a year was well worth it ! I have only joined , but found the customer service to be outstanding, they were patient and helpful about by paranoia, and not very computer literate ways! so far so good!!!

Mary Davis
April 2nd, 2014

Great company; has alerted me appropriately. Highly recommend./

March 14th, 2014

I'm a retired portfolio manager, and I recommend all my family, friends, and past clients use these guys. Love mine. I've got too many assets to protect to go with a company that hasn't been around as long as LifLock.

Linda
December 17th, 2013

@ Jeff if there is something on your credit report you can file a letter of dispute with any of the 3 credit agencies. Go to their website and look up file a dispute. Good Luck.

Cynthia
December 4th, 2013

I subscribed to LifeLock after I learned that somebody used my credit card and bought things in the internet maybe 6+ yrs ago. Really like the alerts I get from them periodically via email informing me whether my info has been compromised or not. or the phone calls I receive when there are unknown suspicious activity.

Jeff
October 16th, 2013

I signed up with LifeLock 2 days ago on their "Ultimate Package" and installed their Iphone app. I didn't know I was going to get my credit score from all 3 bureaus, and I can see my credit score in their app. They provided a full credit report and I found a couple things that shouldn't be on there, but I had no way to dispute or remove those items, but I guess that's probably a different service.

TOMPSON R
October 15th, 2013

Great experience. Had a notification after 3 months of service from some freaking server at Chili's that tried to sign up for an online gaming service!? WAT? THANK YOU LIFELOCK!

October 15th, 2013

With someone in the Oklahoma area with the same name, birthdate, and hair color, as me with a criminal record, id protection is very necissary for me. These guys are awesome, and they've been in business waaay longer than anyone else. Nothing but good things to say.

Spencer K.
October 14th, 2013

Good customer service. The price is cheap whcih is what i need. THe real reason I signed up with these guys is because of the $1million insurance. That seemed to me a no brainer. A ton of insurance in case something terrible happens with my ID.

Gregory Anderson
October 14th, 2013

I would like to thank the great state of South Carolina for losing my personal information. I would also like to thank LifeLock for stopping the person who tried to get three credit cards within a two hours using my personal information which South Carolina lost.

Nadia S.
October 14th, 2013

Just signed up a few months ago. I like the price and I like the fact that I at least have something in place for my identity. The only complaint I have so far is that I get my alerts the next day rather thn the same day. Not sure what the point of that is. But I guess some alerts are better than none.

Euginia
October 14th, 2013

Ok, so I finally bit the bullet and signed up after comparing like 5 different identity theft services. I have to say that I am impressed with Lifelock Ultimate. Hopefully, I won't have to use this service, ya know, but i really think I made the right choice over the other companies, although Trusted Id would have saved me a couple bucks and seemed pretty good too.