LegalShield IDShield Logo

LegalShield IDShield

8.0

Founded in 2001, IDShield is a division of LegalShield that provides identity theft protection to millions of people. IDShield offers identity theft services to individuals and organizations across the country and is one of the nation's leading providers of legal safeguards.

IDShield identity theft protection services include security monitoring, privacy monitoring, social media monitoring, identity restoration, IDShield Vault Password Manager, consultation services, and more.

According to the IDShield website, the company covers over one million lives and provides coverage against identity thieves in 50 states and four provinces. The Oklahoma-based identity theft company also offers 24/7 emergency identity theft support to all customers.

Additionally, IDShield provides members easy access to their credit scores, fraud alerts, monitored information, and their licensed private investigators. The identity protection company acknowledges data breach threats on its website and offers advice and information regarding the importance of identity theft and identity protection.

IDShield offers a 30-day free trial along with four different identity theft protection service plans - two individual plans and two family-specific plans. Each plan comes with credit monitoring services, unlimited consultation services, credit score tracking and reporting, and more.

Read on to learn more about the pros and cons of IDShield's identity theft protection services.

NortonLifeLock Logo
#1 NortonLifeLock chevron_right
3.9
Complete ID Logo
#2 Complete ID chevron_right
3.7

The Good

• Individual and Family Plans
  • Monitoring Service
  • Recovery Services
  • Service Guarantee

Individual and Family Plans

LegalShield IDShield offers identity protection plans for both individuals and families at fairly affordable prices. Each family plan covers one person, a spouse, and up to eight children.

The individual plans include monitoring services like credit bureau monitoring, social security number monitoring, dark web monitoring, and more. The individual plans also include unlimited consultations with licensed private investigators, a $5 million service guarantee, comprehensive restoration, and the Vault Password Manager.

The family plans include every service that is found in the individual plan but also includes child monitoring services. In regard to credit bureaus, ID Shield works with Experian for its credit monitoring services.

Monitoring Service

In order to best protect customers' identities, LegalShield IDShield provides credit monitoring, dark web surveillance, social security number monitoring, email address monitoring, social media monitoring, bank account number monitoring, and more.

If any suspicious activity is detected, LegalShield IDShield will issue an immediate fraud alert to the customer.

The company also has the ability to perform credit freezes. Overall, IDShield monitors everything from customers' personal bank accounts (checking account and savings account) to their credit score and much more.

Recovery Services

In addition to monitoring services, LegalShield IDShield also offers a number of identity restoration services to help customers in the event of theft. The company provides financial, medical, and criminal identity recovery, as well as lost wallet assistance.

The company also gives customers access to a licensed private investigator who will work under a power of attorney (pre-paid legal services) to restore customers' identities to pre-theft status.

Service Guarantee

LegalShield IDShield offers a $5 million service guarantee that acts like identity theft insurance by covering and reimbursing customers for expenses in the event of identity theft.

The company states on its website that it doesn't "give up until your identity is restored". IDShield gives full access to its customer service agents around-the-clock as well as access to private investigators.

The company also provides "industry-leading identity restoration experts" to help customers who have fallen victim to identity theft restore their identity.

Additionally, IDShield has a list on its website of frequently asked questions to help customers educate themselves on identity theft processes and what can put them at risk of identity theft (credit card usage, bank ATMs, documents, breaches, social networks, phishing schemes, websites, etc.).

The Bad

Lack of Antivirus Software

Unfortunately, LegalShield IDShield does not seem to provide customers with antivirus software to protect the sensitive data on their personal computers from hackers and viruses.

The lack of antivirus software means that customers will have to pay out-of-pocket costs to obtain their own protective software. Without antivirus software, customers are exposed to a variety of identity theft threats via their personal computers and devices.

The Bottom Line

LegalShield IDShield offers both individual and family identity theft plans, several identity protection and recovery services, and a $5 million service guarantee. IDShield also provides several identity monitoring services including social media monitoring, credit card and debit card monitoring, and more.

Additionally, the company services customers nationwide, provides helpful and educational information on its website, and offers 24/7 emergency identity theft customer service as well as access to licensed private investigators.

Unfortunately, the company does not appear to provide customers with antivirus software which may leave customers exposed to additional identity theft threats unless they obtain their own antivirus software.

According to the IDShield website, "identity theft hits a new victim every few seconds." This threat is what motivates IDShield to provide identity theft education and protection to its customers.

Although IDShield does not seem to offer antivirus software, it continues to be a reliable and well-known company that will effectively protect your identity.

View Best Identity Theft Companies

Alexandra J. Austin ,

I lost my wallet and my money. I called the fraud investigators they immediately closed my credit cards, made sure my identity wasn’t stolen, and I was restored without have any fraudulent occurrences. They also notified all three credit bureaus without me calling anyone. My panic went from worrying to piece of mind instantly.

sam Vienna, VA

Great! Peace of mind and protection for my financial accounts, non financial accounts and reputation!

Ronnie Grand Junction, CO

I have had the membership for about 15 years. I've seen them go through many changes. Every change gave us more coverage. They have notified me when my email was being sold on the dark web. An unusual charge on a credit card. I have called many times with questions about my identity and repairing my scores-they helped me and our scores are higher. We had someone buying and selling homes in our name. The IRS came after me for over $100K. I was told it would have cost me over $25K to fix it and hundreds of hours on my own. I signed a limited power of attorney and did police reports and they had it all cleaned up and thousands of dollars back to me from the IRS. It cost me nothing, we had less than 15 minutes tied up with it. They are a life and stress saver.

Sarah Wright

Fortunately, I have not had to call upon this service. However, it has given me peace of mind to know I can call if needed to protect my identity. An email update each month provides me with a summary of any transactions.

J Paul Wright Central, UT

Have been a customer of ID Shield for about 15 years now. Fortunately, I have not had to use their service, but there is peace of mind knowing that they are watching my credit and identity for me. They give us monthly reports on activity that is suspicious and if there is nothing, they also let us know that. $10 per month is a good deal for this peace of mind.

Dougwpatterson Phoenix, AZ

Excellent coverage. The big difference here is Krolll and having a licensed investigator do all the work to restore your identity if it is stolen. No other like services do that to my knowledge.

Kamil f Oviedo, FL

This deserves to be at the top of the list at 5 stars and here is why: Not only are they affordable but they are the only company that assigns you a licensed private investigator that helps you every step of the way. They don't only monitor but they restore. I have had no problems and It is pretty affordable for an individual at only $9.95 a month so that won me over too. Plus I just found out that they offer line discounts for shopping at different retailers!

Charlie Atlanta, GA

The quality of the Kroll investigators far exceeds anything else on the market. Surprisingly, this is also the least expensive.

Lynnette Longview, TX

Always adding more features without increasing cost. Licensed private investigators restore identity with POA. Feel this is best protection available.

Vaughn West Palm Beach, FL

I'm my opinion there's NO Better Coverge. Of shield is the ONLY Company that Ofers FULL Hassle Free Identity Restoration, (Which is the MAIN Reason to have Identity Theft Service's in the 1st Place...) Personally I want the Best Most Hassle Free Restoratiin Possible which ONLY IDShield Provides... And who cares if they don't offer Virus Protection.., That's why there's Norton & McAfee, Duh... Bottom line they have amazing social media monitoring, and a More Secure Password Protection Vault Software then any other Service on the Market. Also They Offer More Coverage for Less Money Then All Other's. Last But Not Least, Their Customer Service Has Always Been Amazing to me... When I was A Victim's of Identity Theft a few years back, I simply called them and they took care of everything, as well as guided me towards what I could do to prevent, similar, future Identity Theft issues.... Plus They Give a $5-Million Guarantee which is greater then any other company.

Gary

I love this service it saved my thousands of dollars

Tasha Williams-Dickens

I love IDShield. Best form of ID protection and restoration with their 40+ years of Risk Management Protection and Restoration specializing in all 5 major areas of identity theft

Ken Blum

IdShield's monitoring services appear to be the best in the market. I receive alerts almost immediately upon starting a new credit card.

John Ellis Knightdale, NC

I have ID Shield and have no issues whatsoever. I receive alerts as they are discovered and I also have my phones monitored to determine potential fraud callers and that is just one of the benefits.

Mike Connolly

ID Shield licensed investigators do what they say they will do and more. They are very personable in addition to being very effective.

Ron R Grand Junction, CO

They helped clean up my identity issue very quickly

Ricky Johnson Pompano Beach, FL

I have had this service for 7 years and I have peace of mind because of the alerts

Reginald Gant Parkville, MD

LegalShield and IDShield give me and my family total peace of mind as members. We love it.

John Kharouf

Contacted me when they felt my review was neccessary.My identity was comramised and fixed it PEACE OF MIND AND SECURITY GOOD TO HAVE

Keyontae

What an amazing value to protect my entire family for portion of the Cost for anything else in the industry

J.Malik District Heights, MD

For what the service does, it's a Great service for the cost. Used it on so many occasions and loved the outcome. Will Highly recommend the company and the service any day of the week. Wouldn't find myself without this service. It simply amplifies my voice. Love it.!!!

Rhonda Morrisville, PA

Fraud Investigator answered all my questions about the Yahoo breach and gave me 3 great tips to help protect my information and review my email account for suspicious activity.

Ginger Vallejo, CA

They are exceptional,, smart, know their products and go the extra mile to service you. Can get your credit score daily, only company that has licensed investigators, 5 million dollars guarantee, and what they monitor is so much more extensive , in depth, than you mentioned that their competitors do do the industry justice. In fact only about 25% of your information is correct, the rest is so outdated, you should really check your facts!

P Comstock Jacksonville, FL

They have been great at answering questions along with advise and the following through to completely restore my name.

Jay Werner Humble, TX

I love ID Shield. Great service and coverage. Better than anything else out there.

Rob Wheeler Normal, IL

Once you learn how to use the service, it flipping' rocks. Ask enough questions and ask the attorneys how they would use it themselves.

Sindy Marvin

Because Inhad this product Inwas notified that my email have been hacked and I didn't even know. They told me I needed to change my password to avoid further damage. Great service

KS Saint Clairsville, OH

Simply the best value for the money and the 5 million dollar guarantee is far more then any others offer.

CC Tustin, CA

I have had LegalShield for 20 years and have used it a number of time over the years. It helped my friend daughter restore her identity so she could get a scholarship which she was told she didn't qualify because someone else received state funds in her name when she was in high-school. She had no idea this had happened. Now she is a sophomore at USC with a full academic scholarship and grants and loans from the government after her name was cleared.

lee

Left lifelock and went to legalshield... service and action was fast and resolved issue almost immediately

Lori Maple Hill, KS

I have found great satisfaction with Kroll Fraud Solutions. They have been there in my time of need and their private licensed investigators have cleaned up my mess without me having to miss work or time away from my family. Thank you ID Shiekd.

Dave Hall Salt Lake City, UT

Great company, they have caught fraudulent activity numerous times and resolved it every time. It's so nice to have the ability to also speak with an attorney also since my family has the legal plan they offer to. This plan has not only protected us for over a decade, but made us a fortune using the service proactively.

Chet McFadden

ID Shield Along with Legal Shield are awesome. My wife and i have both been victims of ID Theft . Hers was medical, Mine was drivers listens. I was notified that i got traffic ticket in New York , and i live in Michigan and was never in New York . ID Shield contacted me and Legal Shield hired a law firm . In about 10 days i was notified that the Law Firm had all issues related to the ticket were dropped - and i never had to leave home . My wife medical issues were the same. ID Shield hired a fraud investigation team and they fixed all medical discrepancies . All this for my monthly fee of under $20 dollars . I love the company

Trent Hall Memphis, TN

IDShield and its earlier service (which I still own) is quite comprehensive and effective. Whenever I've called in, friendly & professional people take my questions and spend as much time as I want as they thoroughly answer my questions. Several months ago, I discovered that something terrible turned up on a background check -- that wasn't on my credit report but was affecting my ability to sign a contract. IDShield and LegalShield quickly worked together to clear up the issue for me. I only had to call, and they took care of the issue I had inadvertently discovered without any further involvement on my part... so I could get on with my life, sign the contract, and again I didn't have to spend any more time resolving the situation than simply calling. Other times, they have helped resolve issues that I didn't know about. Again, with no hassles and included with a low cost of membership. They are friendly, extremely competent, and effective. I'm sticking with IDShield and LegalShield.

Kathleen Oswego, IL

I had a charge on my card that wasn't mine. I called the bank and they emailed me a form to complete and they would get back to me in 3 days. I called IDShield, spoke to an investigator, he called my bank and I got a new card in 2 Days...

DjWebb Bakersfield, CA

I have had my IDShield plan for a few years. The peace of mind that we feel each and every day is worth the price. With all the bad stuff going on today this is just one area that we don't worry about because I know they have our backs :)

Barbie Ridgeland, MS

I have had this service for over 5 years and I have had to use it on a number of occasions. I have always had excellent results when talking to the investigators and attorneys. I would never be without this service.

SAHassett Dallas, TX

LOVE my IDShield! Super user-friendly site, great customer service experience and if there's a breach I get the best fraud investigators in the business to take care of my issue. What's not to love? Highly recommend!

Dr Mark Burdell Corvallis, OR

I love this service so much that I became a team member after using it for 3 years. Dir Mark

Lanne Lewiston, ID

Great bang for youyr dollar. Family ID protection for Husband-Wife and up to 8 children.....$19.95 mo. No one else I talked to comes close. No.1 user rated ID Protection provider in the country for a reason. AND also they offer access to Legal representation 24/7/365 annualy ($19.95 mo.) for less than the cost of an attorney for a hour of their time. # 1 in my book.

V. Elliott Los Angeles, CA

I was always frightened when shopping online or giving out my personal information. As a member of IDShield since 2003, Ive had peace of mind knowing that Kroll Advisory Solutions has got my back should anyone mess with me! Also love the price, the monthly monitoring alerts and 24/7 access.

Karen Winter Springs, FL

Luckily, we haven't been a victim yet, although we have been part of several data base hacks. So why do I want to review? Because using our membership dozens of times for preventitive consultation has diffinately prevented us from falling prey to some very ingenious thives. We ALWAYS check with our IDShield investigators & licensed consultants before clicking on sommething or responding to a phone call or e-mail, even if they seem harmless. I'm surprised that we have averted several potential opportunities to become victims just by getting the right information. I know my fb friends mean well and a few may have some experience, but I feel if Kroll (IDShield) has been taking care of the financial identity of countries, governments and fortune 500 companies for decades - they can surely handle anything that comes my way. Anytime I call, I'm assisted by a real investigator with real experience. Instead of hurring on to the next caller, I am given plenty of time to understand all the information I need to make a decision. They are available 24/7/365 if I have a theft issue and they do the work for me.

George CO

This is the only real company that provides complete restoration and guarantees it with no fine print on the $5 million service guarantee. I have been a member for 13 years and they upgraded my services at no additional cost as they upgraded their services. They are also the only company that can help in every form of identity theft credit is so small now

Mary Bowie, MD

I have had the IDShield/LegalShield service for nearly two years. I have had a few issues regarding my ID information and was able to talk to a Fraud Investigator that gave me excellent advice and reassurance. Very efficient, friendly and helpful no matter how small or big my question was. I am very pleased with their service.

Mike Buena Park, CA

I have had LegalShield/IDShield for over 10 years. I get instant updates if there are any changes on my credit file. When I do encounter a issue they're there to help 24/7/365 days a week. LegalShield Live More Worry Less.

Brett Idaho Falls, ID

I've been with legal shield for 10 years. I know I can pick up the phone and call about an issue, even if I'm not sure whether it's ID Theft or not. And they tell me what I can do or in some cases they take care if it on their end.

L Wallace Sacramento, CA

I joind them back 2006; I have received excellent service and believe it is a great product.

Rhonda Scott

Great company. I've been a member for 7 years...no complaints.

Clayton Biewer Visalia, CA

This is the best service I have had. I have been a member of IDShield for a Long time. They even sent me a notice when one of my email accounts was being offered for sale with a password. I was able to change all the accounts with that emails address before any problems happened.

Angie Corpus Christi, TX

I have been very happy with the coverage that they offer at $19.95 for a family up to 10 it a great value. They do exactly what they claim and very quick at it as well.