LegalShield IDShield Logo

LegalShield IDShield

8.0

Founded in 2001, IDShield is a division of LegalShield that provides identity theft protection to millions of people. IDShield offers identity theft services to individuals and organizations across the country and is one of the nation's leading providers of legal safeguards.

IDShield identity theft protection services include security monitoring, privacy monitoring, social media monitoring, identity restoration, IDShield Vault Password Manager, consultation services, and more.

According to the IDShield website, the company covers over one million lives and provides coverage against identity thieves in 50 states and four provinces. The Oklahoma-based identity theft company also offers 24/7 emergency identity theft support to all customers.

Additionally, IDShield provides members easy access to their credit scores, fraud alerts, monitored information, and their licensed private investigators. The identity protection company acknowledges data breach threats on its website and offers advice and information regarding the importance of identity theft and identity protection.

IDShield offers a 30-day free trial along with four different identity theft protection service plans - two individual plans and two family-specific plans. Each plan comes with credit monitoring services, unlimited consultation services, credit score tracking and reporting, and more.

Read on to learn more about the pros and cons of IDShield's identity theft protection services.

NortonLifeLock Logo
#1 NortonLifeLock chevron_right
3.9
Complete ID Logo
#2 Complete ID chevron_right
3.7

The Good

• Individual and Family Plans
  • Monitoring Service
  • Recovery Services
  • Service Guarantee

Individual and Family Plans

LegalShield IDShield offers identity protection plans for both individuals and families at fairly affordable prices. Each family plan covers one person, a spouse, and up to eight children.

The individual plans include monitoring services like credit bureau monitoring, social security number monitoring, dark web monitoring, and more. The individual plans also include unlimited consultations with licensed private investigators, a $5 million service guarantee, comprehensive restoration, and the Vault Password Manager.

The family plans include every service that is found in the individual plan but also includes child monitoring services. In regard to credit bureaus, ID Shield works with Experian for its credit monitoring services.

Monitoring Service

In order to best protect customers' identities, LegalShield IDShield provides credit monitoring, dark web surveillance, social security number monitoring, email address monitoring, social media monitoring, bank account number monitoring, and more.

If any suspicious activity is detected, LegalShield IDShield will issue an immediate fraud alert to the customer.

The company also has the ability to perform credit freezes. Overall, IDShield monitors everything from customers' personal bank accounts (checking account and savings account) to their credit score and much more.

Recovery Services

In addition to monitoring services, LegalShield IDShield also offers a number of identity restoration services to help customers in the event of theft. The company provides financial, medical, and criminal identity recovery, as well as lost wallet assistance.

The company also gives customers access to a licensed private investigator who will work under a power of attorney (pre-paid legal services) to restore customers' identities to pre-theft status.

Service Guarantee

LegalShield IDShield offers a $5 million service guarantee that acts like identity theft insurance by covering and reimbursing customers for expenses in the event of identity theft.

The company states on its website that it doesn't "give up until your identity is restored". IDShield gives full access to its customer service agents around-the-clock as well as access to private investigators.

The company also provides "industry-leading identity restoration experts" to help customers who have fallen victim to identity theft restore their identity.

Additionally, IDShield has a list on its website of frequently asked questions to help customers educate themselves on identity theft processes and what can put them at risk of identity theft (credit card usage, bank ATMs, documents, breaches, social networks, phishing schemes, websites, etc.).

The Bad

Lack of Antivirus Software

Unfortunately, LegalShield IDShield does not seem to provide customers with antivirus software to protect the sensitive data on their personal computers from hackers and viruses.

The lack of antivirus software means that customers will have to pay out-of-pocket costs to obtain their own protective software. Without antivirus software, customers are exposed to a variety of identity theft threats via their personal computers and devices.

The Bottom Line

LegalShield IDShield offers both individual and family identity theft plans, several identity protection and recovery services, and a $5 million service guarantee. IDShield also provides several identity monitoring services including social media monitoring, credit card and debit card monitoring, and more.

Additionally, the company services customers nationwide, provides helpful and educational information on its website, and offers 24/7 emergency identity theft customer service as well as access to licensed private investigators.

Unfortunately, the company does not appear to provide customers with antivirus software which may leave customers exposed to additional identity theft threats unless they obtain their own antivirus software.

According to the IDShield website, "identity theft hits a new victim every few seconds." This threat is what motivates IDShield to provide identity theft education and protection to its customers.

Although IDShield does not seem to offer antivirus software, it continues to be a reliable and well-known company that will effectively protect your identity.

View Best Identity Theft Companies

mccandless24 Kaysville, UT

I was impressed with how easy it was to get a will in place using Legal Shield. I also have been very happy with the IDtheft service I have through my coverage. Would definitely recommend.

Rick Riverside, CA

Potential customers need to be aware that the 5 million is a service guarantee and not an insurance policy for out of packet losses such as lost wages or fraudulent bank account transfers. This is an important distinction and is why I cancelled the service. Other than this ID Shield provides a good product at a reasonable price.

Robert Charleston, SC

So far so good.

Karen S Snyder Raleigh, NC

I'm comfortable with the I D Shield monitoring. Customer service is thorough and responsive when called and very helpful. The discount given when attached to the legal plan makes the family protection very affordable and comprehensive. Both plans are less than $1 a day to protect the family.

Stanley Johnosn Washington, DC

I was going to do a reverse mortgage on my home to secure the cash for my future medical expenses. I am 96 years old and paid off my home years ago. I spoke to my Legal Shield elder law attorney before I signed the reverse mortgage and was told that I qualified for a Medicaid Waiver which allowed me to keep my home and car and money in the bank and still get the care I need. I could not be more grateful for the elder law attorneys with whom I speak frequently to ask questions.

Ann Marie Smith Mccormick, SC

I appreciate the ability to ask questions, often, and the person on the other end makes me feel as though they really like the fact that I called and are eager to help. When I hear about a breach, I don't worry. I've got the best.

Michelle Chicago, IL

Had it and the Legal plan over 8 years. Had only 1 id theft incident that they took care of great. Love the services

Joe Malatia Lombard, IL

The fact that you have full restoration and access to attorneys puts this product far and above any other in the industry!

Victoria D Westminster, CA

I have been a member of Legal Shield since 2005. I believe the more you use it the more you become adept at navigating and how to use it. I have made phone calls in the thousands of dollars had I retained an attorney through normal means. I also found out my daughter's social security number had been used for credit since she was 11 and she is still a minor. Kroll & LS have made sure her report is flagged in all credit bureaus and not available to access for more credit. So by the time she is 18 her file will be clear. I love LS. The more you use it the more you'll love it too!

Scott Carrico Washington, DC

Website could update credit score as it changes. Maybe more user friend for the mobile site. But honestly we are splitting hairs here. The service is hands down the best I've experienced over the two others. The attorneys on hand are incredibly helpful too.

Corky Edwards Madison, WI

I am a licensed investigator and this is the only service I recommend. LegalShield's service is backed by the oldest and largest investigative firm in the world with over 40 years of experience. This company provides comprehensive identity protection and full restoration. There are no gimmicks like million dollar guarantees and ridiculous claims about preventing identity theft. Unfortunately ID theft cannot be fully prevented, and that why a service like this with full restoration services is a must.

Charles Saint Louis, MO

Had an issue with AT&T where I was being charged for internet services that I did not have. AT&T placed the item on my credit Kroll informed me of the issue and had it resolved within 3 days.

David Jordan

I've used LegalShield since 1998, over 100 times, update my wills, and used the Identity theft protection 2 times. My identity was stolen twice, and the service worked beautiful, restoring my good credit and name. I wouldn't be without this wonderful product.

diana Huntington Beach, CA

I Love ID theft with Legal Sheid. It is definitly the most comprehensive product. They heped me with an ongoing problem. and did all the work for me, restoring my ID. I didnt see where lifelock would do that.

George Andaluz Port Huron, MI

I received a letter in the mail from the State of Texas mentioning my address and social security number, but someone else's name. I contacted LegalShield to consult with an investigator who ran a scan on my social security number for any changes in my personal information. He verified that no changes has been made to my information and concluded that it was a data entry error. He recommeded that I contact the department in Texas of the discrepancy the correct the issue. Although I could have called the department directly first, but I felt much better that I was able to verify that there was no activity because of the issue.