Equifax is a credit monitoring agency founded in 1899 in Atlanta, Georgia. The privately held company offers identity protection plans for both individuals and families at affordable monthly rates. Equifax also offers analytics and data breach services to businesses as well. Customers also receive access to a variety of educational resources and tools to help them approve their unique financial situations.

Rank Chart

$12.95-$19.95

#15
equifax

$16.95-$29.95

The Good

• Awards and Accolades
  • Individual and Family Protection
  • ID Theft Education
  • Industry Awards and Accreditations

Awards and Accolades
The company is fully accredited with the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating. According to its corporate website, Equifax has won numerous awards that include:

• Ranked 13th on the American Banker FinTech Forward list (2015)
  • Top Technology Provider on the FinTech 100 list (2004-2015)
  • InformationWeek Elite 100 Winner (2014-2015)
  • Named a Top Workplace by Atlanta Journal Constitution (2013-2015)
  • One of Fortune’s World’s Most Admired Companies (2011-2015)
  • One of Forbes’ World’s 100 Most Innovative Companies (2015)

Individual and Family Protection
Equifax offers two identity protection plans: one for individuals and one for families. Plans include credit monitoring and scores, fraud alerts, security freezes, Internet Scanning, Lost Wallet Assistance, and up to $1 million ID Theft Insurance. Plans are affordably priced under $30/month.

ID Theft Education
Equifax offers customers an online member center that features numerous informative articles and resources regarding identity theft on its corporate website. Comprehensive information is also provided on credit monitoring and management as well. Customer representatives and Fraud Specialists are available 24/7 to answer potential questions or provide other assistance as needed.

Industry Awards and Accreditations
Equifax has an excellent rating and full accreditation with the Better Business Bureau. The company also received awards in 2015 from American Banker, FinTech 100 List, InformationWeek, Fortune, and Forbes for its excellence in business practices.

The Bad

• Lack of Service Details
  • Monitoring Delays
  • Numerous Consumer Complaints

<strong.Lack of Service Details
Equifax does not offer comprehensive details regarding its services and coverage on the corporate website. Consumers must enroll first or contact a Customer Service Representative to get exact information. No details are offered regarding the theft reimbursement policy and how much it pays for lost wages or other related expenses to restore identity to pre-theft status.

Monitoring Delays
According to the corporate website, credit monitoring through Experian and Transunion can take several days to begin after enrollment, leaving consumers unprotected. Antivirus software is not included in identity protection plans.

Numerous Consumer Complaints
Equifax has received 2,360 filed consumer complaints with the Better Business Bureau. 936 complaints were closed in the last year. Consumers reported trouble canceling accounts and still being billed afterwards, as well as problems with receiving updates and alerts.

Want to know which identity theft companies are top rated? Click Here

The Bottom Line

Equifax has over one hundred years of experience assisting consumers with credit monitoring and identity protection services to individuals and families. The company has won numerous awards in the industry for its business operations and offers comprehensive plans at affordable monthly rates. However, the company has received numerous consumer complaints, does not disclose service details to the general public, and monitoring services may be delayed after enrollment.

View Top Rated Companies

Frequently Asked Questions

What is identity theft?

Identity theft occurs when personal identification information is stolen in order to gain fraudulent access to new lines of credit, financial accounts, and medical services using someone else’s identity.

How much do Equifax services cost?

An individual plan is $19.95/month and the family plan is $29.99/month.

Does Equifax allow me to protect my whole family?

Yes. Equifax offers an identity protection plan for the entire family.

How does Equifax protect my identity?

Equifax utilizes credit and financial monitoring, Internet Scanning, and resolution services to help protect a customer’s identity.

Does Equifax provide identity theft insurance?

Yes. Equifax offers up to $1 million in identity theft reimbursement insurance.

Does Equifax monitor my bank accounts?

Yes. Equifax offers unlimited access to financial account monitoring.

Does Equifax offer any promotions?

Equifax does not appear to be offering any promotions on its corporate website at the time of this review.

How can I contact Equifax?

Consumers can contact the company directly by calling 1-888-202-4025.

Price Breakdown

Equifax Complete Premier Plan: $19.95/month

Coverage under this plan is for 1 adult only and features the following benefits:

• Three-Bureau Credit Report Monitoring
  • Equifax Credit Score Monitoring
  • One Three-Bureau Annual Credit Report
  • Ability to Lock Equifax Credit Report
  • Automatic Fraud Alerts
  • Financial Alerts (Unlimited Accounts)
  • Internet Scanning
  • Fast Pay Plan
  • ID Theft Assistance
  • Up to $1 million ID Theft Insurance
  • 24/7 Lost Wallet Protection

Equifax Complete Family Plan: $29.95/month

Coverage under this plan is includes two adults and up to four minor children. Featured benefits include:

• Three Credit Bureau Report Monitoring for two adults
  • Child’s Credit File Monitoring (up to four minor children)
  • Equifax Credit Score for two Adults
  • One Annual 3 Bureau Credit Report
  • Unlimited Access to Equifax Three-Bureau Credit Score
  • Ability to Lock Equifax Credit Report for two adults
  • Automatic Fraud Alerts
  • Financial Alerts (Unlimited Accounts)
  • Internet Scanning
  • Fast Pay Plan
  • ID Theft Assistance
  • Up to $1 million ID Theft Insurance
  • 24/7 Lost Wallet Protection

Contract Details

1.  Proof of Evidence

We reserve the right to request that You provide corroborating evidence with respect to any incident of Identity Theft of which We (Equifax) are notified.

Why it’s important:

The evidence that Equifax asks their identity theft victims to provide includes law enforcement reports, Federal Trade Commission’s affidavit, government agency reports and any other related evidence.  If the consumer fails to provide any of the needed evidence, Equifax has reserved the right not to provide their customer with their product’s benefits or features that are normally included in the product ordered.

2.  Identity Theft Insurance

Equifax’s $1 million identity theft insurance is provided by Chartis that has a $0 deductible.  Insurance expenses that are covered include:

• Lost wages in the need of taking off work to restore identity (up to $1,000 per week for a maximum of four weeks)
  • Attorney fees
  • Application fees for re-filing loans
  • Mailing and notary costs
  • Long-distance phone calls
  • Lost monies exclusive of interest and fees

Equifax Privacy Policy

Information We Collect From You

Contacting Equifax with a request: We receive information from you when you perform one of the Consumer Activities through our site. We also receive information from you when you register for an Equifax Personal Solutions account in order to maintain online access to your free annual credit file disclosure for 30 days. This information may include:

• First and last name (middle initial and suffix, as applicable)
  • Social Security number
  • Date of birth
  • Home telephone number
  • E-mail address
  • Current and former mailing address
  • Credit card number and expiration date

Identity Verification: When you request your free annual credit file disclosure, we will verify your identity. We will ask you from two to six multiple-choice questions in which you will need to provide certain information that only you should know. We do this for your protection. The answers to these questions are used to verify your identity and are not provided to any nonaffiliated third party.

Log information: When you visit our site, our servers automatically collect log information. This information may include your web page request, Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request, and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.

Cookies: We do not use cookies in the areas of the site related to free annual credit file disclosures, dispute resolution, fraud alerts and security freezes.

Information We Collect From Others

We also collect information about you from third parties, including AnnualCreditReport.com, parties from whom we request information in connection with your request for dispute resolution, the centralized pre-screening opt-out management service, and other credit reporting agencies when you place initial fraud or active duty alerts.

We will not share information we obtain from third parties in personally identifiable form. However, we may share aggregated, non-personal information as described in this policy, including information we obtained from third parties, in a form that will not allow you to be identified.

Important Note

In no way does this summation strive to compensate for reading the actual terms of service or contract provided by this company. We are providing this information to allow consumers to see the points of the contract that we believe you should be aware of. Please refer to the company’s terms of service or contract document to see the full details.

Company History

What We Do

Equifax powers the financial future of individuals and organizations around the world. Using the combined strength of unique trusted data, technology, and innovative analytics, Equifax has grown from a consumer credit company into a leading provider of insights and knowledge that helps its customers make informed decisions. The company organizes, assimilates and analyzes data on more than 800 million consumers and more than 88 million businesses worldwide, and its database includes employee data contributed from more than 5,000 employers.

Headquartered in Atlanta, Ga., Equifax operates or has investments in 24 countries in North America, Central and South America, Europe and the Asia-Pacific region. It is a member of Standard & Poor’s (S&P) 500® Index, and its common stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the symbol EFX. Equifax employs approximately 9,200 employees worldwide.

Some noteworthy achievements for the company include:

• Ranked 13 on the American Banker FinTech Forward list (2015)
  • Named a Top Technology Provider on the FinTech 100 list (2004-2015)
  • Named an InformationWeek Elite 100 Winner (2014-2015)
  • Named a Top Workplace by Atlanta Journal Constitution (2013-2015)
  • Named one of Fortune’s World’s Most Admired Companies (2011-2015)
  • Named one of Forbes’ World’s 100 Most Innovative Companies (2015).

CEO

Richard F. Smith: Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
Rick Smith is chairman and chief executive officer of Equifax Inc. Prior to joining Equifax, Smith spent 22 years with GE holding several President and CEO roles across numerous businesses including Engineering Thermoplastics, Asset Management, Leasing, and Insurance Solutions. Smith was appointed an officer of GE in 1999.

X close
X close

5 Equifax Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

0=WORST 10=BEST

2. Subject For This Review*(Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

or

1. User Score

August 3rd, 2016 Crystal Lake, IL

Tried to get someone in the US to speak to and all I keep getting is the Indian call center and they do not understand what I need this is the worst customer service ever. So no resolution, how can I get my issues corrected when all they do is read off a piece of paper.Totally unbelievable and they hold my credit in there hands over seas.

2. User Score

May 4th, 2016 Minneapolis, MN

Equifax ID Patrol was offered to me when I called in to place a fraud alert with all three credit bureaus on my accounts. It was described as offering unlimited 3-in-1 credit reporting, as well as alerts related to identify theft, however I received only ONE 3-in-1 credit report, and no alerts as of today (5/4) from when I signed up on 4/9. I essentially paid Equifax $16.95 for what should have been free. I called in to get written confirmation of product details, but was referred to their secure website to get this info using my product login ID. I tried to get a refund for the product on 4/13, but was told that no partial month refunds are given. I would NEVER recommend this product to anyone. I feel cheated.

3. User Score

April 12th, 2016 Columbus, GA

DO NOT USE EQUIFAX!!!!!! I purchased a credit report in December and a few days later, decided I did not want it anymore. I called in to cancel my subscription/membership. I was given a confirmation number but did not write it down (stupid me). Today, April 12th, I noticed I received bills for December, January, February and March. I spent forty minutes on the phone and was transferred three different times. The second person I spoke with said they have no record of me calling and could not do anything to refund me. I was then transferred to ANOTHER person to cancel my subscription and have to pay for this current billing cycle.

4. User Score

April 4th, 2016 Saint Paul, MN

Equifax is extremely slow in updating information, reports information that is two years old as if it were new, and their “customer service representatives” are almost impossible to understand, completely unhelpful, and rude.

5. User Score

April 26th, 2014 Clearwater Beach, FL

The problem I have with equinox is trying to get a hold of someone you can understand as everyone is in India somewhere . This makes me very nervous that all these people on the other side of the world has my ss and personal information.