Equifax is a credit monitoring agency that was founded in 1899 in Atlanta, Georgia. The privately-held company offers identity protection plans for both individuals and families.

Rank Chart

$12.95-$19.95

#38
equifax

$14.95-$29.95

The Good

• Plan Options
  • Identity Theft Prevention
  • Insurance

Plan Options

Equifax offers six different identity protection plans for customers to choose from. These plans range from $14.95 to $29.95 per month. With such a wide variety of plans, customers have the ability to pick one that best fits their budget and coverage needs.

Identity Theft Prevention

Equifax works to catch identity theft before it even happens. The company provides triple-bureau credit monitoring, internet scanning, social security number monitoring, fraud alerts, and credit freezes.

Insurance

Equifax offers its customers up to $1 million in identity theft insurance. In the event of identity theft, this policy covers and reimburses the victim for expenses related to the theft.

The Bad

• Limited Recovery Services
  • No Antivirus Software

Limited Recovery Services

While Equifax does offer assistance with financial identity recovery, there are a number of other restoration services that the company does not provide. For example, Equifax cannot help with medical, criminal, or tax identity recovery.

No Antivirus Software

Equifax does not provide its customers with antivirus software to protect sensitive data on their computers.

Want to know which identity theft companies are top rated? Click Here

The Bottom Line

Equifax offers a variety of identity protection plan options, several monitoring services, and up to $1 million in identity theft insurance. However, Equifax’s recovery services are limited and the company does not offer antivirus software.

View Top Rated Companies

More Information

Price Breakdown

Equifax offers several different identity protection plans ranging from $14.95 to $29.95 per month.

Contract Details

In no way does the following summation strive to compensate for reading the actual terms of service or contract provided by Equifax. Please refer to the company’s website to read these documents in their entirety.

Collected Information

Equifax may require its customers to provide the following information:

• First and last name (middle initial and suffix, as applicable)
  • Social security number
  • Date of birth
  • Home telephone number
  • Email address
  • Current and former mailing address
  • Credit card number and expiration date

Equifax may also collect information about its customers from third parties. However, the company does not share information it obtains from third parties in personally identifiable form.

Company History

Frequently Asked Questions

What is identity theft?

Identity theft occurs when someone’s personal information is used by another to gain fraudulent access to new lines of credit, financial accounts, and medical services.

How much does Equifax cost?

Equifax’s identity protection plans range from $14.95 to $29.95 per month.

Does Equifax allow me to protect my whole family?

Yes, the company offers family plans.

How does Equifax protect my identity?

Equifax offers credit monitoring, internet scanning, social security monitoring, fraud alerts, and credit freezes.

Does Equifax provide identity theft insurance?

Yes, the company offers up to $1 million in identity theft insurance.

Does Equifax monitor my bank accounts?

No, Equifax does not provide financial account monitoring.

Does Equifax offer any promotions?

No, the company typically does not offer promotions.

How can I contact Equifax?

Consumers may contact Equifax by phone at 1-888-202-4025.

X close
X close

5 Equifax Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

0=WORST 10=BEST

2. Subject For This Review*(Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

or

1. User Score

August 3rd, 2016 Crystal Lake, IL

Tried to get someone in the US to speak to and all I keep getting is the Indian call center and they do not understand what I need this is the worst customer service ever. So no resolution, how can I get my issues corrected when all they do is read off a piece of paper.Totally unbelievable and they hold my credit in there hands over seas.

2. User Score

May 4th, 2016 Minneapolis, MN

Equifax ID Patrol was offered to me when I called in to place a fraud alert with all three credit bureaus on my accounts. It was described as offering unlimited 3-in-1 credit reporting, as well as alerts related to identify theft, however I received only ONE 3-in-1 credit report, and no alerts as of today (5/4) from when I signed up on 4/9. I essentially paid Equifax $16.95 for what should have been free. I called in to get written confirmation of product details, but was referred to their secure website to get this info using my product login ID. I tried to get a refund for the product on 4/13, but was told that no partial month refunds are given. I would NEVER recommend this product to anyone. I feel cheated.

3. User Score

April 12th, 2016 Columbus, GA

DO NOT USE EQUIFAX!!!!!! I purchased a credit report in December and a few days later, decided I did not want it anymore. I called in to cancel my subscription/membership. I was given a confirmation number but did not write it down (stupid me). Today, April 12th, I noticed I received bills for December, January, February and March. I spent forty minutes on the phone and was transferred three different times. The second person I spoke with said they have no record of me calling and could not do anything to refund me. I was then transferred to ANOTHER person to cancel my subscription and have to pay for this current billing cycle.

4. User Score

April 4th, 2016 Saint Paul, MN

Equifax is extremely slow in updating information, reports information that is two years old as if it were new, and their “customer service representatives” are almost impossible to understand, completely unhelpful, and rude.

5. User Score

April 26th, 2014 Clearwater Beach, FL

The problem I have with equinox is trying to get a hold of someone you can understand as everyone is in India somewhere . This makes me very nervous that all these people on the other side of the world has my ss and personal information.