Rodeway Inn Logo

5.6

Hotel Type: Economy
Rodeway Inn’s genesis dates all the way back to 1962 when it was conceived and launched by Phoenix motel entrepreneur, Michael Robinson. Rodeway Inns were known for their colonial-style architecture (similar to the Ramada Inns at that time but on a smaller scale). The idea behind Rodeway Inn was to offer independent operators the advantages of big-chain identity, much like that of the America's Best Value Inn chain today. After several major acquisitions, Rodeway Inn became a part of Choice Hotels International in 1990 along with chains Econo Lodge and Friendship Inn. Friendship Inn was later integrated into the Rodeway Inn brand, increasing their reach. Today, Rodeway Inn has over 400 locations in North America.

The Good

• Fresh, clean rooms
  • Locations
In 2007, Rodeway Inn was named the fastest growing chain in the hotel industry by Lodging Magazine (May 2008 issue). This was due to its new brand strategy and pricing model that greatly improved franchise sales. Rodeway Inn promises one objective: a fresh, clean room for a good night's sleep. Combined with:
  • a nice, hot shower to wake you up
  • a good cup of coffee to keep you going
  • affordable rooms that take guest's budget into consideration, so they can focus on the experience and not on their wallet.
Rodeway Inn hotels offer one promise: the travel basics with the reliability and security of a trusted national brand. The main thing people like about the hotel is its location, typically in the heart of main areas, walking distance from eateries and shopping areas.

The Bad

• Franchises
  • Unstandardized accommodations
  • Pets
Although Rodeway Inn promises guests the security of a trusted national brand, each Rodeway Inn is individually owned and operated by the hotel owner or management company (franchisee), so there appears to be no central customer service or accountability in the event that a guest has an unsatisfactory experience at one of their franchised hotels. This being said, accommodations are relatively unstandardized, leaving guests with unfulfilled promises and poor accommodations such as:
  • Hot water not working
  • Heater not turned on in winter
  • TV not working and after endless delay
  • Failed refrigerator
A downside to being conveniently located is the noise. Guests on the lower level floors had trouble sleeping with both foot and vehicle traffic right below their windows. Although some hotels offer pet-friendly accommodations, there is a pet fee of 15.00 per night and per pet and a limit of 2 pets per room.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Rodeway Inn sounds a lot better in theory than in person. More than half of guests were unsatisfied and disgruntled by their hotel experience. At best, it delivers on provided bare travel basics but not on being a brand that is trusted. Its best feature seems to be its convenient location in walking distance from main attractions, eateries and shopping areas.

2.6

Annette

I booked in at the Roadway inn Vicksburg last night as was not happy with a neighbouring hotel. What a difference a few yards made. It far exceeded my expectations, the rooms were big clean and had all the little extras , tissues toiletries etc that you would find in a higher star. The pool was lovely and the area was clean . The highlight was the receptionist, Elizabeth. She was welcoming, friendly, still professional and a credit to her company. Above and beyond, she even used her own phone to help me make a reservation in another state . Thank you will be back

Austin Stelmach Boulder, CO

The Rodeway Inn had a very rustic, antique vibe that was rather comforting. The hotel feels old, but the rooms are clean and the staff is great. I've stayed here twice and have no complaints.

Mike Ika West Valley City, UT

I stayed at the Rodeway Inn just outside of Hurricane Utah. Awful experience. The room was cheap and I got exactly what I paid for. We had to ask for new sheets and pillow cases because there was actual dirt on the pillow case. Gross. The free breakfast was not a full breakfast, rather a continental breakfast. Thats fine except for the fact that there were very limited options for cereal, pastries, and fruit.

Christyan Bennett Destrehan, LA

I enjoyed my stay at the Rodeway Inn in San Antonio, Texas. They had a very nice room which felt pretty large. The only thing was the breakfast was very cold and not good.

Amber C Frey San Diego, CA

Out of all the "cheap" hotels that are available this one was the cleanest and nicest that I've stayed at. I would probably stay here again if it was near a future destination.

L. Fowler Pleasant Grove, UT

It was about what I expected from paying for a lower budget motel. It worked out for what we needed for the night. Not very many bells and whistles, just a bed and shower to clean up.

Randy Webster Bend, OR

They did not honor the AARP discount the first night and refused to refund the 10% the second night. They did give me the AARP discount the second night. The first night I said AARP and thought I had gotten it./

Juliann Mecham Managua, MN

I thought it was a pretty average hotel. Nothing absolutely incredible, but nothing to complain about. It was great for our needs and location and good service.

Randi Nelson San José, SJ

The rodeway Inn I stayed at was honestly not what I was expecting, not the highest of quality and a little dirty.

janice pan ,

We stayed here when we went to Disneyland and we couldn't even take our shoes off in the room, too scared to walk around with our bare feet.

Dwhoush Theodore, AL

I stayed in a Rodeway once. Never again. The room smelled like mold. The hotel was falling apart. The staff was not nice at all. I’d rather sleep in my car next time.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

We've stayed at the Rodeway Inn. It was an inexpensive option. It was okay for the price.

Celticgirl

Overpriced for offering, noisy. I found them to be a glamorized version of a Motel 6.