Marriott Hotels & Resorts Logo

Is This Your Business?

9.8

LAST UPDATED: September 10th, 2021
Hotel Type:Upper Midscale
Marriott Hotels & Resorts is the flagship brand of Marriott International of full-service hotels and resorts. It started with one idea for a single hotel in Washington, DC, originally named Quality Inn. The Marriott name was born with the erecting of a second hotel. More than 80 years later, there’s a Marriott Hotel across the globe in over 45 countries for everything from leisure and resort travel, business travel, hosting meetings, to attending a wedding.

Holiday Inn Logo
#3 Holiday Inn chevron_right
Best Western Logo
#4 Best Western chevron_right
3.7

The Good

• Innovations
  • Benefits
Marriott brand hotels and resorts are focused on the idea, "travel brilliantly". This idea is centered on innovation. These innovations for guests include:
  • Mobile check-in. Mobile guest services have arrived at Marriott Hotels. That includes being able to check-in and out from their mobile app at all of locations around the world.
  • Modern-day meetings. Marriott's new meeting spaces feature naturally lit studios and social spaces to maximize multi-tasking.
  • Marriott Mobile App allows guests to ask for anything, anytime during their stay.
  • Bartenders in Residence is in the prototype phase, with a goal to connect local talent, local bartenders and local flavors and bring them into a Marriott hotel.
  • Teleportation. Marriott has a prototype of 4-D journey devices to give guests a virtual travel experience to their destination of choice.
  • New, smartly designed ergonomic guestrooms in the pipeline.
  • Flexible, tech-savvy work spaces
  • Goji kitchen + Bar set to open in Asia in 2014 and 2015. It is a dynamic restaurant designed for the modern traveler with spaces that transform from breakfast to lunch and dinner.
  • Healthy Vending machines containing locally grown organic fruits and vegetables.
The Marriott hotel staff is globally known for being very friendly. Along with the basic amenities such as free WiFi and buffet breakfasts, Marriott encourages guests to "co-create" with them by submitting fresh ideas for the hotels to implement. Hotels are also typically located in convenient locations near airports, restaurants, major highways and shopping strips.

The Bad

• Additional fees
The resorts are all-around enjoyable, but guests were less-than thrilled with the hotel's additional fees:
  • $27/day resort free which allows you a beach chair, umbrella, towels each day, as well as
  • Free drink must be a signature cocktail-
  • Daily parking fee. Visitors end up paying less to park than a guest paying to stay in the hotel I believe it was $27/day as well, pathetic!
  • Resort Pool was always lukewarm, even in 90+ degrees
  • Breakfast on premises is expensive with $20 for 2 eggs with one meat.
  • Beach lovers were a bit disappointed with the amount of scattered seaweed, hotel needs to do better cleaning it up.
  • Average resort with above average prices
  • Rooms were a little dated but very clean

The Bottom Line

Marriott Hotels & Resorts is the flagship leading brand of Marriott International. With its "travel brilliantly" campaign, Marriott offers many cutting edge innovations, aiming to be the leading global premium hotel brand among Generation X and Y travelers. One of Marriott's popular guest amenities is their THANN specially- crafted aromatherapy items. Their hotels have a solid reputation with strong customer loyalty. Marriott hotels are located in convenient locations for travel, food, and recreation and shopping. To some, Marriott's resorts have average amenities with above- average prices. Rooms in some hotels are a little dated but very clean. There are also additional resort fees for guests. Despite the negatives, the staff is very pleasant and friendly.

LeAnn Baytown, TX

My husband and I went to the Marriott Marquis in Houston for a weekend mini vacation. We enjoyed floating in the lazy river and hanging out in the pool area. The hotel was beautiful and the staff was very pleasant and accommodating. We will definitely be going back!

Morgan Tennant Shelley, ID

Marriott hotels are a step above other hotels; they are superb! The breakfast is always fantastic, everything is always clean and smells fresh, the staff is friendly, and the layout of the hotels and the individual rooms is very logical and easy to follow. I always choose to stay here when I'm visiting somewhere with a Marriott.

The Bean Spiller Provo, UT

Every single Marriott I've stayed at has been consistent with each other. You don't get that city/tourist spot hotel vs countryside vibe that you get with a lot of other hotels. They breakfasts are always great, rooms comfortable, and their staff are very caring and are able to answer any questions you may have

Brooklyn Jensen Provo, UT

The Marriott Hotels & Resorts are always clean and spacious. In addition, each time I visit one of the resorts, they have daily activities planned such as water aerobics, yoga, and feeding the fish (Newport Beach, CA). It is an extremely fun and great place to stay.

Yolanda Queer Shelley, ID

I cannot stress enough how much I love Marriott hotels! Their breakfasts are grand and it is always so nice to stay in a place where I know I am safe. It's just a fun hotel chain to stay in!

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

Marriott is amazing! The service is great! The rewards system is great, and it makes us want to stay there more! The more you stay at the marriotts, the more points you get that go towards free stays! We love this hotel.

Anne Sainsbury Orem, UT

I do not commonly stay at Marriott Hotels as I usually try to travel on the more economic side. That being said, the times that I have stayed in Marriott Hotels I have been very pleased. The rooms have always been very clean and the services and customer service have been better than almost any other Hotel that I have been to. They hold a high standard and I hope to continue to use Marriott Hotels more in the future!

Becca Amiot Salem, VA

Overall I can't remember a single Marriott Hotel that I haven't had a positive experience at. In some areas prices can be high but you do typically get a nicer stay

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

Clean pools, comfy beds, my room even had a dishwasher in it which was nice. Not to mention the walk-in shower with really good-smelling complimentary shampoo. Not the cheapest, but mi-level I'd say

Dave Spokane, WA

You can't go wrong with Marriott as far as having a great experience goes. The only reason I don't use Marriott more is because I'm often willing to sacrifice quality to save a few bucks. Marriott is high quality with excellent staff who want to make sure that you have a great experience. Luxurious rooms and amenities.

Christina Lockett Frederick, MD

Marriott Hotels & Resorts was a beautiful lovely building. When I walked inside they had beautiful paintings and sparkling floors. As I walked towards the desk I could tell the workers were smiling behind the mask and were greeting me. They took their time with helping me book a room for one night and was patient with me which I appreciate dearly. When I got to my room the beds were nice and big and were soft. I also appreciate how big their bathrooms were.

peter harmatuk Poolesville, MD

Marriott Hotels & Resorts are our first choice when needing a location to spend time unwinding in a vacation-like setting, or an extended stay. They are almost everywhere where we travel, elegant and extremenly comfortable. They are well priced within the areas they serve and a value when compared to the amenities offered by their properties. They have things like free WiFI where it is often charged for by others, both great city and remote locations and really good restaurants . Their "free" breakfast, in many places, rivals what you can get in a breakfast restaurant and the in-hotel services such as health clubs and pools, make them a great value, even though you may pay a little more for them.

Steve Salem, VA

We use Marriott when we travel. Their facilities have a pleasing appearence and are usually very clean. Sometimes the breakfast bar could use a few more items.

Raven Royal Sandy, UT

We love Marriott. We have been staying with them for as long as I can remember. The rewards system is amazing and they’ve never let us down.

Leonard Leo Potomac, MD

Marriott hotels are synonymous was a above average service catering to business travel. As a pleasure stay, don't expect many free perks that 3 star hotels offer. However, if cleanliness is a priority, you won't be disappointed.

Mark Benson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I loved my experience at the Marriott Hotel. The service was great and the room was clean when I arrived. The pillows and bed were both very comfortable. I loved my experience here and would recommend it to anyone.

Rachael Berhan Salt Lake City, UT

I think Marriott hotels and resorts haven't had as great of customer service since the pandemic (low on the funds?)...BUT overall they normally have great customer service and living accommodations. They usually provide free wifi and breakfast which is nice.

Destini Ferguson Tallahassee, FL

I am a new Marriot member and I am happy I signed up! Great deals, great people, and beautiful spaces. Check-in is quick and easy. You also receive perks like late checkout for being a member. My room is always clean and housing keeping accommodates all of my requests.

Christina Lockett Frederick, MD

I love the Marriott Hotel they had a lovely work out room where I can do a daily workout each day. I also love how crystal clear their pool was you could see the bottom of the pool in the deep end. The grab and go for breakfast was very well thought out meal it wasn't just a thrown together at the last minute.

Lisa C Johnson Hyattsville, MD

I stay at alot of hotels because of travel and Marriot is probably one of my favorite places to stay. The rooms are always clean and the beds are extra comfortable. The stay may not be the cheapest in town but its definitely worth every penny.

Jessica Chen Rockville, MD

I really enjoyed my stay here. It was located in an amazing spot central to loads of shops, restaurants, and a great big lake. I was elated by the cleanliness and prompt service. The view definitely captured my eye and increased my experience and stay at the Marriott Hotel. I’ll definitely be back for future visits.

Olivia Hardy Olney, MD

The quality of rooms and service was very good. I felt safe and well protected. Shops and restaurants inside the hotel were very well priced and of very good quality as well. The location of the hotel was near the convention center where I had to go and close to a lot of the attractions of the city. The cost of parking was way too expensive and very inconvenient, but, fortunately, did not have to use my car that much. Valet service was way out of financial reach for me. Had to do a lot of walking because of the constant requirement to pay for every time I had to go somewhere in the car. Besides the problems with the parking and use of my vehicle, the hotel has a great deal to offer for the price.

Katrina Breithaupt Provo, UT

I've stayed in a variety of airbnbs, hostels, and hotels over the years and I have ALWAYS been highly impressed with Marriott. They are always my first choice of hotels. I have stayed there many times with my family. They are extremely clean, offer great services and amenities and I always look forward to staying there, whether it is inside or outside the US.

Corbin Short West Wendover, NV

I have never had a negative experience with Marriott, except with one of the brands when they wouldn't accept a gift card in Page, AZ. When I travel, I basically look first at Marriott Hotels because the quality is consistent everywhere. The only thing is this: be aware of what type of Marriott you are choosing and what services they offer. For example, some brands do not have breakfast. It's worth knowing the difference across the different brands under the Marriott name.

Emily H West Wendover, NV

My family has always had great, reliable, quality service from every Marriott hotel we've stayed at. Rooms are always nice with clearly updated amenities such as newer televisions and modern furniture. Most have pools and free continental breakfast--always with the best selection of food of any hotel we've stayed at. Great service, great value--you can't go wrong with Marriott, in my opinion.

Hannah Giles Pleasant Grove, UT

We try to stay in Marriotts whenever we travel. We have found them to be the cleanest and most well-kept hotels. The Towne Place Suites are my favorite ones and they always have a good complimentary continental breakfast that has a lot of variety. Once, we had a family medical emergency while on vacation and were forced to stay in a Towne Place Suites, several hours away from our home, for two weeks. The staff was so kind to us, giving us a discounted rate and even moving us into a larger suite because of the terrible stress we were going through. That was at the Towne Place Suites in St. George, Utah.

Brad H Gilbert, AZ

Most of my experiences involving Marriott Hotels and Resorts have been in the Residence Inn. I truly love the Residence Inn. I love their combined Hot and Cold Breakfast offered each morning. This is really an. added. value to an already reasonable hotel price. When you are there on a Monday and Tuesday there is usually some sort of snack type food offered in the evening hours. A real bonus. The rooms are clean and arranged in such a way as to be very accommodating to the. business traveler. I love the oven, stove, refrigerator and plenty of kitchen storage space. These allow me to purchase my own food and create my own meals to eat while I am there. What a great value as a hotel overall.

Samantha Fayetteville, AR

Everytime my family has gone on vacation, we always stay in a Marriott Hotel and we have always been satisfied with out experiences. We have stayed in Marriotts in the Puerto Rico, the Cayman Islands, Florida, Ohio, Iowa, Kansas, Arkansas, Toronto, New York, and Texas. In every hotel we stayed at, everything was cleaned appropriately and if we needed extra towels or sheets or anything of the sort, the hotel staff brought it to our room in a timely manner. They also were able to answer any and all questions we had regarding the location we were visiting. Many times they were able to give us restaurant recommendations as well.

CJ Milke Olney, MD

The rooms at Marriott Hotels and Resorts are great for family vacations. My family and I stayed in one of their rooms in Orlando and it made our Disney trip a blast! The beds were so comfortable and the sheets were so soft.

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

We have stayed at several Marriott Hotels and have always enjoyed our stay. The receptionists have always been so helpful and patient. Also, at least at the ones we have stayed at, there was always a restaurant available for breakfast! The cost of the rooms are reasonable.

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

The hotel rooms are nice and clean and the staff are very helpful. If you are staying for a while, bring a swimsuit and take a nice swim or sit in the jacuzzi. The morning breakfasts are nice and there is a good variety of food whether you want sweet, healthy, or hearty.

Greg Francis Saratoga Springs, UT

as a gold member, I travel with Marriott for business and pleasure, and know that I can have a consistent experience everywhere I go, from the JW in Chicago, to the Springhill Suites in St George. I appreciate that they know me as a gold member, know my preferences, and when I was there last. Bonvoy provides a great app to manage my bookings, and check my points to see how many points ai have to spend for my upcoming vacations.

daphjohnson Saratoga Springs, UT

When you book with Marriott you know what you are getting yourself into. I like that there is a standard of cleanliness that can be found at different areas of the world. Marriott is always high quality and provides a good experience no matter where you are.

Jen Paxman Lehi, UT

My friends call me a "Marriott snob". I LOVE Marriott hotels and will rarely stay anywhere else. I know that every time I reserve a room that it will be clean and smoke-free. Their customer service is unmatched as well. I can't say enough great things about Marriott hotels. I like that there are different options depending on your personal need and price point.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

As a Marriott Rewards platinum member, I receive a ton of benefits staying at Marriott hotels. I love the way I'm greeted at Courtyard Marriotts & my favorite part is the free item from the gift, snack area. Being able to cancel my reservations whenever I want, no matter when I do it is very helpful to me. There are times when things come up unexpected that cause me to have to cancel my travel reservations. So it's very helpful feature to have as a Platinum member. I love Marriotts and it's where I choose to stay most the time when I travel.

Patrick Orem, UT

Marriott went above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable. The staff were very nice and they did not hesitate to help us when we needed it. We had missing pillows in our hotel room and they did not even question us. They got us the pillows right away. The rooms are also very spacious. The furniture and beds are good quality. The breakfast was filling.

Katie Kertzman Rogers, AR

My mother has been a Marriott Rewards member for many years now and this has been our go-to Hotel or Resort for every single trip or vacation. Every stay has gone extremely smoothly and staff is always so accommodating to specific requests such as early check-in or questions about local restaurants/activities. I have always appreciated how clean and neat every hotel we've stayed at has been and I am sure my family will continue using Marriott Hotels for a long time to come!

r vido Provo, UT

Had a very homely feeling and great breakfast! The staff were incredibly helpful and kind

Kelly Stanley Herriman, UT

Love the comforts in Marriott hotels. I’m kind of a clean freak and I’m always comfortable there

soporia moment Tallahassee, FL

My experience with a Marriott Hotel was horrible. Me and my friend took a trip to ATL and the room was disgusting it was hair in the shower blood on the bed we switched room 5 times and they were all the same

BeauCarl South Jordan, UT

Marriott it continues to expand its line of hotels making it even easier to find a five star property or a budget friendly property all over the US. They have limited properties in the South Pacific the Caribbean and Central America. I appreciate their rewards program and have been able to get free nights after staying with Marriott. Please be aware the majority of the Marriott hotels are not owned by Marriott but owned by individuals or other companies that use the Marriott name and operations as such many of the hotels are outdated and are in desperate need of renovation.Please be aware the majority of the Marriott hotels are not owned by Marriott but owned by individuals or other companies that use the Marriott name and operations as such many of the hotels are outdated and are in desperate need of renovation

Jarrett Ingram Newport News, VA

Marriott Hotels are my choice of hotel. Staff is always friendly and polite, the rooms are immaculate, and the sheets and bed are always super clean and fresh.

Stasie Moore San Antonio, TX

Very nice hotels. Some were a little expensive, but nice.

Amy Gardiner Germantown, MD

LOVE MARRIOTT and really try to support them during COVID! You can always rely on high quality with their hotels and convention centers. I am never dissatisfied and when I am they FIX IT!!!!!

Jun Chen Rockville, MD

Marriott Hotels & Resorts is my favorite hotel to stay. I usually look at Marriott Hotels & Resorts when I need overnight travel. It provides pretty space for our family to stay. It also has good location in the city.

Rani Halliday Spring Branch, TX

We have used Marriott Hotels for years! My husband stays there exclusively when he travels for business. For the most part I'm always impressed with cleanliness and service, however, since Covid began we have stayed in Marriott's 4 times and have been disappointed 3/4 of those stays. Front desk service has not been as friendly and cleaning service is mostly unavailable. Hoping future stays improve.

Cal Hunter Riverton, UT

Fairfield and Courtyard are the two properties I mainly use when I travel. Nice to have a consistent brand you can count on as you move from place to place. Always found the properties clean and no reservation problems.

Scott A. Johnson Orem, UT

Of all the hotel chains, Marriott is my first choice. They have clean and well-maintained properties all over the world. Their events staff is great if you are looking to host an event. Join their free rewards club to accumulate points towards your next stay.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Marriott is the absolute favorite of hotel properties. They offer the most amenities with high end, updated decor. The experience is superb from reservations, loyalty point programs, actual hotel stay, and even follow up right after. I enjoy the convenience and posh-ness offered. This will be my choice in hotels for a long tome to come.

The Pearsons

Always customer friendly. The Bonvoy properties are always clean and many luxurious. The Marriott/Bonvoy properties have the best beds and bedding. I appreciate that breakfast is included in most of them. We also own 3 Marriott timeshares that I believe are the best in the industry.