- Distinctive hotels
- Positive feedback
As an international luxury hotel brand, Intercontinental Hotels like to stay one step ahead of its guests, anticipating guest's needs before they're stated.
With an impressive history and high end client list with guests like Louis Armstrong and Grace Kelly, InterContinental hotels boast of not being a chain hotel. They claim each of their properties offer its own distinctive style, from heritage elegance to urban chic to resorts on tropical shores.
Their choices of distinctive hotels include:
- Iconic Historic Hotels
- City Hotels
- Alliance Resorts
At each hotel, guests are offered basic accommodations in various categories:
- Free Morning Newspaper Delivered to Room
- Turndown Service
- Valet Service
Workspace / Desk
- Cable / Satellite TV
- Color TV
- In Room Movies - Premium Cable
- In Room Video Check-out
- Video Review / Checkout
Standard Internet Service
- Desk Level Electrical Outlet
- Electrical Adapters Available
- Spare Electrical Outlet at Desk
- Work Desk w/ Lamp
- Standard Internet service is free for all IHG®Rewards Club members
- Wireless Internet available in Standard Rooms, Executive Rooms, Suites, Business Center, Public Areas
Standard Room Wireless Fee for Non Members: $ 10.95 USD
- Wired Internet available in Standard Rooms, Executive Rooms, Suites, Business Center, Public Areas
Standard Room Wired Fee for Non Members: $ 10.95 USD
Bathroom / Personal Care
Phone / Fax
- Private Bathroom
- Direct Dial Phone
- Phone with Voice Mail
- Speaker Phone
- All rooms non smoking
- Connecting Rooms
- Individually Controlled Air Conditioning
- Iron / Ironing Board
- Number of Closets in Executive Rooms: 1
- Number of Closets in Some Rooms: 1
- Number of Closets in Suites: 2
- Rollaway Bed/Cot
- Separate Hanging Closet
- Windows Open by Guest
- 24 hour room service
Another added plus is that InterContinental does take pets. Guide dogs are free of charge.
A few caveats:
- Pet must weigh no more than 40 pounds
- Pet deposit is due at time of check in and is nonrefundable
- Pet Deposit $200.00 per stay
The hotel is friendly to foreign travelers and those whom English is not their first language. The staff speaks several languages:
There are also amenities for guests with disabilities:
- Service animals allowed free
- 12 Room(s) with Accessibility Standards
- Special Parking
Checkout is 11AM but late checkout option is available.
Positive feedback from guests typically consists of:
- staff are very friendly and helpful with a big smile on their faces
- alarm clock was EASY to set
- location is great and very central to various neighborhoods
- great conference location-- had huge windows--natural light in conference spaces is always a treat.
- The banquet dining was surprisingly good, with thoughtful vegetarian options
- great location
- nice architecture
- Room flaws
- Pool hours
The Intercontinental is very good, with only a few flaws that keep it from excellent.
Three flaws in the rooms:
- The street noise, even on the tenth floor, was still pretty distracting. If bothersome, guests would have to ask for a room higher up and hope one is available.
- Second was the air conditioning. It was quite loud, and finicky-guests may have trouble getting comfortable.
- The complimentary mini bar was a bit small for some tastes, and at times understocked.
Other mild critiques were of the pool closing too early (10 pm). Some feel they want a swim before bed after being out all day and getting back to the hotel late only to find the pool is closed.
Another consideration is that WiFi is not complimentary unless you are an IHG Rewards Member. At almost 11 dollars per day, a basic amenity like WiFi can get quite expensive-especially for business travelers. And if you smoke, every room being 100% smoke free would definitely be an issue.
The Bottom Line
InterContinental is a premier worldwide luxury hotel brand offering a lengthy list of amenities. Accommodations that stand out are amenities for people with disabilities and pets being allowed at all hotels (with reasonable stipulations). Their aim seems to be to have all bases covered to meet guest's anticipated needs. The hotel promotes its uniqueness with every convenient location. These hotels fall into one of four categories: Iconic Historic Hotels, City Hotels, Resorts, and Alliance Resorts. Also a nice touch is the staff being equipped to speak several languages. A very good hotel, just a few minor tweaks to make it excellent.